Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hopefully with the world going less high tech the Seattle Supersonics will get their chance to shine.

I should probably put together some other stuff and catch up on the last three missions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib

wedgekree posted:

Also randomly the airframe for an SR-71 Blackbird only cost about ~ 35 million. SURE it'd be crass overkill and something that we'd have almost no remote strategic use for, but.. MACH 3 CRUISING SPEED.

Re-iterating my desire for us to refurbish a Concorde as a bug out policy.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The issue I'm having with some hypotheticals is the loadouts are lacking. In comparison something that saw use for years has a fully fleshed out, almost ridiculous loadout list.

So yes, you can get the XY-147 "Banana Hammock" but it'll only have some wild mach 6 AAAM package, and that's it. If you're cool with something crazy and in limited quantities I'll roll with it, but I don't want you guys to blow all your money on something crazy, wild, and ultimately useless.

That's Congress's job. We're here to make a buck.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

wedgekree posted:

Would some helicopters possibly be useful? They'd be cheap and we could use them for ground attack/support once we've battered down air defenses and that lets more of our jets focus on CAP and higher priority land targets.

Maybe. A lot of people will probably say that helicopters aren't worth it and are just going to get shot down, but I doubt it. They're really suited for ground support along moving battlefields, have way better staying time than most planes and attack versions carry a lot more pain than most/all planes. I'd like to try them out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is the Brimstones doing donuts like that what they actually behave like? That's an unusual capacity afaik

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Being on fire is badass.

Undeniably true.

https://i.imgur.com/hmwaoy4.gifv

Which made that last mission amazing; fire, smoke, and silk everywhere you looked. Though somewhat less than ideally a lot of it was our fire, smoke, and silk.

I'm so excited for experimental plane stuff, I'm briefly distracted from boat stuff. It's nice to have the Dutch around and I still think we should think about building up a navy a little, but the wacky aircraft possibilities are magnificent if they're in the db.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

whelp, I'm hoping for JA-37s or Tornado ADVs. Maybe some mirage 2000-5Fs. We need Air to air desperately.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 16, 2017

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Also are we retiring the gripen?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

orcbuster posted:

Also are we retiring the gripen?

I wouldn't mind retiring the Gripen if we can get eurofighters or rafales.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Dance Officer posted:

I wouldn't mind retiring the Gripen if we can get eurofighters or rafales.

No i mean previously when we've been left with only one remaining fighter (not tankers transport and support) of a type at the end of a campaign we usually don't keep that last airframe. And with the arms downgrade we probably won't see more gripens.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

orcbuster posted:

No i mean previously when we've been left with only one remaining fighter (not tankers transport and support) of a type at the end of a campaign we usually don't keep that last airframe. And with the arms downgrade we probably won't see more gripens.

In this case, given the cost, we'll retain it until at least procurement. If the plane layout of HG's goes totally away from Gripen's then we'll extract our value from it and stick it in the wallet.

I've got the plane lists ready to go. Once I can polish up the graphics I'll :justpost:.

We will choose ONE supplier, and follow the below options.

• An offering from BFLM including three "CORE" options and two "OPTIONS". You may select one core and one option.
  • An offering from K&P including three "CORE" options, one which includes a Swiss Gripen bonus, and two "OPTIONS". You may select one core and one option
  • An offering from Ivanov with two packages. Due to our current stance with the Russians our options are limited. As such it's older stuff.
  • A coupon good for two free Reaper drones. :catdrugs:
  • Finally, a new supplier has emerged. This supplier will be our "in theater" supplier to prevent plane starvation after we've crashed everything in a drunken stupor. They will offer some legacy packages along with some minor suppliers offerings. Atlas Cheetah. MIG Bison. Viggen. You get the idea.
  • Also, if we need ground equipment we'll sort it out after procurement. I know a few folks mentioned a portable radar system.

There will also be a showroom scenario so you can check out the planes and shoot at drones and old tanks and such. Smart drivers test drive right?

Yooper fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 16, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

• A coupon good for two free Reaper drones. :catdrugs:

Be still my beating heart.

And maybe I can finally see my dream of a ground search radar realized two theaters later.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Yooper posted:

Finally, a new supplier has emerged. This supplier will be our "in theater" supplier to prevent plane starvation after we've crashed everything in a drunken stupor. They will offer some legacy packages along with some minor suppliers offerings. Atlas Cheetah. MIG Bison. Viggen. You get the idea.

1- :iiam: supplier
2- Viggen supremacy :iia:
3- Potential for the play-by-post RPG murder machine, the Bison :getin: Have a story of a squadron mate who 'failed' an ACM maneuver, and ended up splashing two Tomcats almost instantly. Almost a 1 mission Ace.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw, so we have to choose between the IAEA bonus Gripens & the USN mystery box? Darn.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

power crystals posted:

Attack helos are insanely fragile. I wouldn't be opposed to a couple utility helos, though, so we can do evac/S&R/etc style missions.

Buy my V-22s. And my B-1b.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aw, so we have to choose between the IAEA bonus Gripens & the USN mystery box? Darn.

The mystery box was a special reward from the USN and not part of a deal, wasn't it? It's not mentioned in Yooper's post at least. I want to believe :ohdear:

Olothreutes posted:

Buy my V-22s.

Yes please!

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 16, 2017

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can you model Ekranoplans in this ?

Like this would be hilarious - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

Its like a boat that moves at 350mph and carries 6 sunburns.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Saint Celestine posted:

Can you model Ekranoplans in this ?

Like this would be hilarious - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

Its like a boat that moves at 350mph and carries 6 sunburns.

Apparently, yes. I’m surprised it counts as a plane and not a boat.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:catdrugs: Don't vote yet! Discuss first. We'll call for a vote later! No votes will be counted until it's time to vote. :catdrugs:

Our current budget is a hair over $1 billion. I'd recommend leaving some for mission spares, losses, etc. The big question is gently caress-Off BVR ordnance. I'm not going to limit the use, but I will follow ole Adam Smith's invisible hand. Demand is way up, supply is way down, so pricing is gonna go through the roof. First mission use is normal price. Next use, and every use after, the price doubles. So in a few missions a $2 mil Meteor turns into an $8 mil Meteor. Shoot em if you got em, but we could go broke quick.

Examples of applicable ordnance : Meteors, 120D AAMRAMS, Storm Shadows, SDB's. Ask yourself, is it modern? Can it shoot a long loving ways? Is it expensive? Then yes, it's probably applicable.

First we will pick ONE Major supplier. Then we will pick one of their options offerings. Then you can add on aircraft from our new supplier.

2 - http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/3726/

Supposedly we can turn this in to Raytheon and get our drones. Looks legit.

The fine folks at K&P were quite stunned to see the Swiss liveried planes pull up and even more stunned to see IAEA / Papal pilots get out. I mentioned something about donating a nuclear weapon but I don't think they believed me.

Ivanov and his Brother were eager to do business but worried about big brother. So we had to move our dealings to Georgia and not all of the available stock is available to us. I'm sure you guys understand, I mean we did just kill two MIG-31 and tried to molest a Kirov group.

Broadstreet was all bleach white smiles, greased hair, and gold chains when we came walking in to the showroom in West Texas. As soon as we started talking pricing they had to go ask the Manager, and that was about when Halsey called. Things got quiet. Things got weird. And then we got down to business.

Note - The F-14E's do not come with the AAAM's. The US Government put their foot down and absolutely banned it.

Finally our new supplier. This conglomerate is a partnership between 5 axis machine tool manufacturers and metal 3d printers. They are able to take older aircraft, reverse engineer them, and 3d print the components. They have a handful of planes available initially. Due to a quirk in global patent and copyright law, they are able to make any plane older than 20 years ago.

But there's a catch. We need to pay tooling for any new aircraft made. The existing stuff on the list below has no tooling cost. But if you want a plane from 1973, it's going to cost about 73 million in tooling costs on top of aircraft costs. Choose wisely if you propose a plane. Please refrain from 3dPrintProposals until we're in theater.

Also, be aware that PMC's are popping up everywhere, paying license fees, and resurrecting some really ancient air frames.

Once in theater these are available to replace our losses so we run less risk of being completely out of airframes on the final mission.

Discuss. Decide. Propose. Speak. Fight. Riot. Keep it rather civil.

You can pick major suppliers, options, or even order 100 MIG-21's from the 3dPrintMart.

Go at it Hired Goons!

Link to the ShowRoom Scenario here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/i02o04oi8wc1r11/Hired%20Goons%20New%20Plane%20Showroom%203.scen?dl=0

Yooper fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 16, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I don't think I can in good conscience recommend not going with the plane that is named F-CK

e: rather liking that Broadstreet offer with the ELINT option. The Flankers are cool but I don't like the MiG-21s and the legacy attack choppers even one bit. We should probably go heavy on air-to-air, we still have the Tornados after all.

e: yeah Gripens + Invisiboat looks real good too.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 16, 2017

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Why did you do this to us again? Just as we were about to break free?

The best option on the table by far are the gripens. NG has aesa radar, nothing else in these options do.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Well first we need to decide what we need replacing in our now rather limited number of air frames. Are we looking for more air to air, more air to ground, a bit of both? The Gripens are probably the best capability wise for air to air but are they the same if we need ground attack planes? Not to mention we only get what 7 of them and we have 1 left so we would need to manage what air frames we send up at a time. Plus quite a lot of the Gripens weapons are modern right thus increasing costs as we use them.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Someone 3d print up a Lun

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What sorts of weapons on the Grippen wouldn't break the bank?

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
I propose we get the Gripen NG + Invisiboat for 650,000,000

and 8 F-5's along with 8 Viggens for 232,000,000 more for a total of 882,000,000.

Call it plan "Minimal Research.", because I'll happily be argued into a better deal.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The Gripens are pretty toothless with the Meteors and SDBs limited. They’re still neat, but nowhere near best in show anymore.

Those Tomcats are insane, even with the missing AAAMs (they can wield AMRAAM Cs instead), and they can go anywhere and do anything. Plus they have ITALDs. A-10s are still mediocre but the Aardvarks are also nuts and will blow anything entirely the gently caress up and have enough bombs to do it twice more. The P3 is a nice bonus.

I guess where I’m going with this is swing-wing 4 lyfe.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Roeben posted:

I propose we get the Gripen NG + Invisiboat for 650,000,000

and 8 F-5's along with 8 Viggens for 232,000,000 more for a total of 882,000,000.

Call it plan "Minimal Research.", because I'll happily be argued into a better deal.

Edit: Uh nothing to see here, move along...

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 16, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

power crystals posted:

The Gripens are pretty toothless with the Meteors and SDBs limited. They’re still neat, but nowhere near best in show anymore.

Those Tomcats are insane, even with the missing AAAMs (they can wield AMRAAM Cs instead), and they can go anywhere and do anything. Plus they have ITALDs. A-10s are still mediocre but the Aardvarks are also nuts and will blow anything entirely the gently caress up and have enough bombs to do it twice more. The P3 is a nice bonus.

I guess where I’m going with this is swing-wing 4 lyfe.

The thing is (a) they're cost limited, not quantity limited, and (b) we've actually asked Dimitris to look into a db upgrade to let Gripens use AMRAAM Cs. And my objection to using the F-14Es is that there just aren't ENOUGH of them!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

OMG Intruders and F-111s. 10 year old me is 100% on-board.

And kinda so is 38 year old me.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

What sorts of weapons on the Grippen wouldn't break the bank?

IRIS-Ts, LGBs and possibly the RBS-15s. IRIS-T is probably the best available WVR missile , but I have no idea if WVR is worth it.

The most sensible choice is probably the Mirages (multi-role fighters with cheap and decent BVR missiles and other fun stuff) but I want the Gripens.
(Comedy option: Gripen option + a bunch of MiG-21 BISON for medium range BVR. The MiG-21s actually look like a decent deal and we should definitely get some for the fun factor.)

F-14Es are cool but the F/A-18s are the American Mirage equivalent. 'MURICA is the only sane choice if we buy American of course, :v:

E: Thanks Davin!

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 16, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

PenguinSalsa posted:

IRIS-Ts, LGBs and possibly the RBS-15s. IRIS-T is probably the best available WVR option , but I have no idea if WVR is worth it.

The most sensible choice is probably the Mirages (multi-role fighters with cheap and decent BVR missiles and other fun stuff) plus the Super Kai but the Gripens are really tempting.
(Comedy option: Gripen option + a bunch of MiG-21BIS for medium range BVR. The MiG-21s actually look like a decent deal and we should definitely get some for the fun factor.)

You mean Fishbed BISONs, right? We can't bet the MiG-21 BiS if we don't go Ivanov.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Kind of like the Super Tomcat option. I propose we rename them Thundercats.

The ELINT bird is also tasty, especially given the potential insider trading opportunities we can gather and then sell to Goldman Sachs.

The question then becomes what other plane to use for missile bait. Just for fun, maybe buy licenses for Chinese aircraft?

EDIT: As far as the limited number of available Thundercats, I wonder if there's any possibility of Iran somehow coming across the blueprints and selling us a few in thanks?

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 16, 2017

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

You mean Fishbed BISONs, right? We can't bet the MiG-21 BiS if we don't go Ivanov.

Yes, of course. I got the designations mixed up. :ohdear:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I really wish Broadstreet's F-16s had AMRAAM Cs cause I really want those Intruders

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Yooper, just to confirm, I'm seeing our final procurement option as follows:

(A) Pick a Core from any Big Three supplier
(B) From that supplier, pick any Option
(C) after that, purchase additional planes as you'd like with the remaining ~300 mil from the new Okuma-Haas-MoriSeki-Studer-MarkForged group.

Is (C) valid?

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
I'd say K&P+Super-Kai, as my humble suggestion.

If we're rotating and saving, it gives us a big set of lower-end but still decent planes for the day-to-day grunt work while we save the Gripens for big pushes. While a secondary set of mostly ground-attack planes might seem redundant in the face of our intact Tornado fleet, it lets us rotate and hedges against one bad or inherently costly day of operations. The rest of our money we should keep in reserve for emergency replacements.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
still no bombers :(

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
F-117s have proven their usefulness before in the 90s, I am going to have ISSUES not voting for them, horrible wobbliness aside.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy nard posted:

F-117s have proven their usefulness before in the 90s, I am going to have ISSUES not voting for them, horrible wobbliness aside.

They also look cool, which is a key plane attribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
BROADSTREET

Core: 8 - F16CG
Option: ‘Murica

This gives us the most flexible in-theater capabilities:

8 F16CG’s for a solid performance multi-role Air Wing

3 A-10C’s to fill in that gap we have in TOT CAS coverage

6 A6F Intruder's to build out our EWAR package (we’re going to need these planes if we start losing easy access to our stand-off ordinance)

2 F-117X’s as we currently don’t have ‘kick down the air defense network door’ capability (again, if we’re going to be losing easy access to our stand-off ordinance, we’re going to need planes to get in close to dangerous targets while being reasonable sure they’ll be able to come back)

***** Edit *****

Yooper: If we do end up with A-10's, may I please please pretty please fly one? However way you decide to assign the duty roster in the future? :ocelot: :)