Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

e: taxxe

Incitatus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Google is freakingly scary

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

who is this singular woman in gaming?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

2014 Chris: "There are a few asteroids that you can shoot and blow into pieces that we already have in AC, but that's something we're working on, we need to have the asteroids break apart and be synchronised across the network properly without increasing network traffic too much, and that's part of a whole new network prediction scheme that we're putting in for V1.0 which will hopefully allow us to scale a lot more ships in space"

:gary:

:laffo: I remember this one actually!!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The dumbest thing around the whole woman in gaming thing is, shitizens were being super lovely around Sandy because it was a woman in their loving space game and that's not going to fly in my loving treehouse you motherfuckers!!!

Then a few of us said that maybe that's not a normal stance for people past like 8. Then it became clear she's a lovely person who buys expensive cars on cash crowdfunded for the game and now those same lovely people are defending her against all odds. Maybe lovely people just like lovely people.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chev posted:

Yeah, that's something that's not done anymore in game networking (unless you're The Division, who got tons of cheaters this way, or a genre that uses server-less P2P networking), we found out it was bad as early as Ultima Online. The obvious reason is that it makes it trivial to cheat, and the only reliable sanity check is really to run the whole thing server-side. The second, more recent reason is that physics engines are numerically sensitive to a lot of stuff, so the simulations will quickly diverge from player to player. For that too, the only reliable approach is to have the server be the single referee that runs the authoritative simulation and sends it to everyone.

For the P2P games I was mentioning, stuff like strategy and fighting games, you use more reliable numerical methods thanks to simpler physics, but if a client still goes out of sync and fails sanity checks the only cheat-proof option is to drop the whole match, the clients can't be resynchronized without a central authority also running the sim.

I agree, and I don't think it's practically feasible to use the method I described and deliver a playable SC. But client-authoritative physics is far more technically feasible than server-authoritative for a physics-based MMO.

If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate on how a single server-authoritative physics sim is favorable at scale in a game as complicated as SC? Because physics is so expensive, imo it's completely impossible at scale, like, don't even bother trying it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Truga posted:

The dumbest thing around the whole woman in gaming thing is, shitizens were being super lovely around Sandy because it was a woman in their loving space game and that's not going to fly in my loving treehouse you motherfuckers!!!

Then a few of us said that maybe that's not a normal stance for people past like 8. Then it became clear she's a lovely person who buys expensive cars on cash crowdfunded for the game and now those same lovely people are defending her against all odds. Maybe lovely people just like lovely people.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

well since beet wouldn't change my name to child fucktrophy he should defs change it to 'keep off the pies'.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

You wanna start a Divinity campaign together?

I think between you, me, lladre, and Agent we could put together a... whatever the opposite is of a dreamteam, yeah.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I think between you, me, lladre, and Agent we could put together a... whatever the opposite is of a dreamteam, yeah.
Do any of you know how the multiplayer works? Do we all need to start together? If one person isn't there will it still work? I have no idea.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beet Wagon posted:

If someone falls through, I am up for being a skellymans. I still need to play the game more. I barely play games nowadays. Dunno why.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I should get Divinity?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Depends on how woke you are

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Divinity OS is cool and good.
Divinity OS2 is cooler and gooder.

Play it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/splendidland/status/919579504963719168

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So today after a few weeks of not doing anything health diet related, I'm getting back on the healthy bus. Good news is I've transitioned to the cute little 8oz soda gulpers instead of big cans or gas-station bottles (I'll cheat everyso often but rarely). Still can't get into sparkling water, tastes like bubbly lies.

For breakfast, I'm making 1-pot freezer breakfast tacos:
Veggies - Onion and Bell Pepper, chop and set aside.
Packet of Bacon - Cook in medium pot. Remove. Leave oil. Crumble later.
Freezer Hashbrowns - 4 cups, cook in bacon oil. Remove and set aside.
Eggs - 12 eggs, 1/4cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 paprika. Mix together, cook on medium low, add 2 tbsp butter. Set aside.
Wrap in burrito-sized tortillas, combining the above, adding cheese and ready-cooked sausage (or cubed ham). Put in freezer safe ziplocs.
Makes 12-14 tacos. Good for 3 months in freezer. To reheat, cook for 1 minute 3 times, flipping taco every reset.

For lunch, simple salad:
Baby spring mix
Carrots
Apples
Blueberries
Caesar Dressing after non-leafs are eaten.

And for dinner these upcoming days, Chicken Ragu Bianco:
Olive Oil
1 Onion
1 Carrot
1 stick of Celery
1 clove of Garlic
1 bunch of Thyme
1 bay leaf
1 Small Chilli (optional)
1 leg and 1 brest of chicken, finely chopped
200g of Tubular pasta (like penne or rigatoni)
Half a glass of white wine
250ml chicken stock
Parsley
Parmesan

Heat the oil in a pen over a medium heat. Meanwhile very finely chop the onion, carrot, and celery. Add these to the pan with the garlic clove peeled but whole. Add the thyme and bay leaf. Finely chop the chilli and add that as well. Sweat everything until soft.
Turn up the gas and seal the chicken in the pan.
Deglaze the pan with the wine and season with salt.
Once reduced, season with pepper. Then add the chicken stock.
Then cover and simer for 30-35 minutes. Don't forget to cook the pasta during this time.
Finally, stir in the cooked pasta, and mix in some grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
About 4 servings. I'll be serving with rice for grains.

Remember to take care of your bodies. You'll need it if you want to play Star Citizen in the year 2020.
Also call your parents and tell them you love them.
SCG writing comes and goes in fits. I hope you understand Bootcha development.

Namaste/Tane

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FrancoJCL82/status/920002432658214914

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Bought Divinity Original Sin 2 today.

Only done an hour or so but already it's really good.

Good recommendation. (probably)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Codezombie posted:

*evil cackle*
I consider Dirt Rally one of the best projects I've worked on.
Though I'm an Audio dev, so if you like the audio, *then* my job is done.

You did all the tiny rocks slapping into the bottom of my rally cars? Thank you! The audio is pretty sublime in Dirt Rally and a big reason I feel so immersed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Do any of you know how the multiplayer works? Do we all need to start together? If one person isn't there will it still work? I have no idea.
its drop in/drop out coop

I'm really interesting in doing a DM game thing with the tools tho, they are p robust and amazing for something added super late in development

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and I'd love to play with y'all at some point in the near future (after I figure out this new work poo poo and this new moving poo poo and omg my life is fuckin crazy yo)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So at this point the only people left supporting this game on reddit and in comments sections of any site daring to not be positive about it are the same 20 or so people trying to convince themselves and each other that they aren't retards for sticking with this right

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Tokamak posted:

When 3.0 releases, I'm going to spend all of my time playing the custom content inside the Skyrim sized moon crater. I'm going to be slaying moon dragons and hanging out with space Niko Bellic.

This is what they believe.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So at this point the only people left supporting this game on reddit and in comments sections of any site daring to not be positive about it are the same 20 or so people trying to convince themselves and each other that they aren't retards for sticking with this right
and the dudes with $10k+ of limited edition ships trying to desperately pawn them off

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to get a game together, I spent all day yesterday starting a new game with some IRL buddies. You can have anywhere from 1-4 people going, but I'm not sure how level-balancing works in the event that you join a game where everyone's already level amazing and you're level hosed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah if you're into D&D style stuff it owns bones. Like Agent said I really want to try out the GM mode, it seems like it's got a lot of potential. Plus there's a bunch of SC goons who play it, it seems, so there'll always be some bullshit going on I'm sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E8DQSHkhGE&t=130s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

Wrap in burrito-sized tortillas

Makes 12-14 tacos.

:catstare:

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
A story of a broken will

quote:

I swear we didnt pay shipping before? Unfortunately can't use store credit to pay for shipping or I would have got one.
edit Just checked I paid €15 for the Anvil Mousepad they want $15 (€13 something) just for shipping this time!
edit2 I am weak.I caved. The previous one I must have bought with store credit as it was USD 35 previously.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Technicality.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

Remember to take care of your bodies. You'll need it if you want to play Star Citizen in the year 2020.
Also call your parents and tell them you love them.
SCG writing comes and goes in fits. I hope you understand Bootcha development.

Namaste/Tane
you kinda inspired me with this post

after taking care of my step dad for five years before he died, I've let myself go. today that stops. new diet and workout starting with:

breakfast
slide over to the local bar for two bloody marys and a full stack of pancakes at 6am. they even put pieces of bacon in between the pancakes, so its double good

lunch
skip all real food, since its for fat people. have a hostess apple pie and a bottle of cheap chardonnay to keep my carbs up for the workout I'll skip later

dinner
but before dinner, a snack of honey dipped and beer battered pretzels. they make me thirsty, so more wine is required. can supplement with a decent beer
drink the wine or beer. complain about being hungry but too busy posting about star citizen to make anything from the fully stocked fridge of healthy foods and vegetables that I loving insisted we buy because I'm fat as hell
get significant other to throw tacos down my ever increasing n expanding gullet as I make little happy bird chirping sounds because I'm wasted as hell and del scorcho sauce is fuckin good

so far been able to stick with this plan. will keep the entire thread updated on my progress

here's to havin abs again!!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TheAgent posted:

you kinda inspired me with this post

after taking care of my step dad for five years before he died, I've let myself go. today that stops. new diet and workout starting with:

breakfast
slide over to the local bar for two bloody marys and a full stack of pancakes at 6am. they even put pieces of bacon in between the pancakes, so its double good

lunch
skip all real food, since its for fat people. have a hostess apple pie and a bottle of cheap chardonnay to keep my carbs up for the workout I'll skip later

dinner
but before dinner, a snack of honey dipped and beer battered pretzels. they make me thirsty, so more wine is required. can supplement with a decent beer
drink the wine or beer. complain about being hungry but too busy posting about star citizen to make anything from the fully stocked fridge of healthy foods and vegetables that I loving insisted we buy because I'm fat as hell
get significant other to throw tacos down my ever increasing n expanding gullet as I make little happy bird chirping sounds because I'm wasted as hell and del scorcho sauce is fuckin good

so far been able to stick with this plan. will keep the entire thread updated on my progress

nice 24 pack

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

nice 24 pack
:corrupt:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TheAgent posted:

Every human beings has Abs. It's just wether or not it's visible that's the challenge. Though you do need low body fat to show them off. Even if they're well developed.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectus_abdominis_muscle

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Every human beings has Abs. It's just wether or not it's visible that's the challenge. Though you do need low body fat to show them off. Even if they're well developed.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectus_abdominis_muscle
no I meant my abs were literally taken from my body and grafted to my legs so I could support myself while standing

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

no I meant my abs were literally taken from my body and grafted to my legs so I could support myself while standing

In the big reveal, the agent was Ben all along.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to get a game together, I spent all day yesterday starting a new game with some IRL buddies. You can have anywhere from 1-4 people going, but I'm not sure how level-balancing works in the event that you join a game where everyone's already level amazing and you're level hosed.

Yeah if you're into D&D style stuff it owns bones. Like Agent said I really want to try out the GM mode, it seems like it's got a lot of potential. Plus there's a bunch of SC goons who play it, it seems, so there'll always be some bullshit going on I'm sure.
I'm ready whenever you guys are.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pharohman777 posted:

As someone who just graduated with an accounting degree, the sheer ignorance the r/starcitizen denizens have for why CIG's TOS is unenforceable is astounding.

Everything CIG does to raise money is connected to a product guaranteed by them down the line, so everything CIG earns this way is unearned revenue.
All the jpegs, all the kickstarter money, all the insurance packages are unearned revenue that is a liability on the books.
Until CIG makes the products that fulfill the liabilities of unearned revenue, the consumer protection laws of the US say that the customers can get refunds anytime before the product is released, since CIG never earned the money by releasing the product.

Same with the jpegs. As long as those ships are not in the final release, the customer can get a refund at any time.
This is stuff you learn about in business law and accounting classes, and it frustrates me that there is so much willful ignorance about why refunds are allowed.

Just google unearned revenue liability and you can clearly see situation of CIG.

Why so angry commando. TOS. IS.IRONCLAD.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Can we do a Star Citizen themed campaign? :lol:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Overgrowth has left Early Access! Ten Nine year development cycle.

So expect SC 2021.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

trucutru posted:

Well, in glorious SC not only does the server do all the physics, but the clients do them all too (including the other clients, including the ones that are a million miles away).

I haven't checked if they changed it. But clients used to broadcast the state of each one of their invisible thrusters, so that other clients could do the physics related to them too. (this was redundant but they used to do it)

This is the only thing I could find about that:

- New network message queue (current in QATR) to reduce network bandwidth and network thread time.
- Physics Serialization
- Persistent Data Refactor

Translated:
- They added a queue so they don't just hadoken all these useless, wasteful updates at once
- They serialized the data so instead of sending useless, wasteful plain text updates they can send useless, wasteful bytestream updates
- They changed the database a bit

I mean, how the gently caress. This is the networking equivalent of buying a lovely 1982 Renault Alliance and installing 18" rims, subwoofers, and underbody neon lights...