Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Thwomp posted:

Oh yeah. The whole fall of Saigon is covered from all perspectives (the US evacuation of personnel/citizens still in country, all the South Vietnamese attempting to escape by any means necessary, and the North's army rolling in after the US didn't counterattack their offensive). The people on the boats were just heartbreaking.

According to the series, regular South Vietnamese citizens didn't "get" that the North was rolling in until mortars literally starting falling into the streets. Saigon got a bit more warning as the people knew poo poo was hosed once the Americans started getting bused to the airport.

They also drive home just how much the last US ambassador hosed up by adamantly refusing to start evac procedures until the very last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I FaceTimed with the parents Obama never did that

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

mlmp08 posted:

IIRC it does, but LBJ didn't want to look soft on communism/defense.

the best thing this is used as an excuse by every president back then and we really never have had a good person be president for the last 100 or so years

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mlmp08 posted:

IIRC it does, but LBJ didn't want to look soft on communism/defense.

That's exactly right. There's a documentary from like 1975 that sums it all up in a couple hours what Ken Burns is rehashing. Hearts & Minds. The American bomber guy they interview, Randy Floyd, came back after his discharge and joined the VVAW at OU. We all thought we were against that poo poo, but it was like rhetorical compared to where he was coming from. That was one angry dude.

Third World Reggin posted:

the best thing this is used as an excuse by every president back then and we really never have had a good person be president for the last 100 or so years

Kennedy was quoted as wanting to get out as gracefully as possible. Of course, he signed off on the Diệm assassination (we all think). He was way loving smarter than LBJ, imo, but what's really lovely is that's in a different timeline and we're here.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is what I love about kennedy.

He got into office while campaigning that we were falling behind in the nuclear arms race. He got into office and got the info that no, we were not falling behind. He then proceeded to build more nukes since he promised he would do that.

My second favorite thing is hearing how coked out of his mind he was on the tapes during the cuban missile crisis.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ramzy/status/920003522002915331

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:wow:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Terrifying Effigies posted:

They also drive home just how much the last US ambassador hosed up by adamantly refusing to start evac procedures until the very last minute.

But they didn't paint him completely with the idiot brush (well okay, mostly with the idiot brush). Guy lost a son in the war in 1965 and was deluding himself to the very end (okay, Burns doesn't definitely say this is why he refused to believe the intel that the North was rolling over the South's army but still).

Edit:

Newt already fixed his spelling error and deleted the original tweet.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 16, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It got deleted, so here it is, forever.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/920003025946796032

Edit: nevermind, bad source on the opioid czar.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 16, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

Jimmy Carter :smith:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

lol he sold his peanut farm to run for prez.

Also I'm only up to half way of episode 7 of Vietnam, do they talk about Pol Pot and Burma at all or just Vietnam itself?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pol Pot - no.

Burma - no, but maybe. They talk about a war Vietnam gets into after unification but only briefly. It could've been the Vietnam-Cambodian war.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RE: Cambodia

go watch Enemies of the People if you really want to kick yourself in your heart's balls.

You've been warned.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
right, Cambodia, not Myanmar (Burma)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: wrong thread

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 16, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I didn't even realize this poo poo was still going on:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/politics/bowe-bergdahl-guilty-plea/index.html

"Bowe Bergdahl pleads guilty to desertion, faces up to life in prison"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

surprised I havent seen a trump tweet saying the government should execute him for desertion

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/10/16/sen-cochran-to-miss-votes-indefinitely-narrowing-gop-margin-for-budget/

does h e have legit health problems that are dire enough to miss votes or does he just not want to be part of this poo poo show

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol didn't even wrangle a deal first he's even dumber than we thought

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

surprised I havent seen a trump tweet saying the government should execute him for desertion
Donnie talking about Bergdahl is pretty rich.

Dirty traitor who got 3 people hurt badly when he deserted is somejow worse than a dirty traitor with the capacity to get a whole lot more people hurt. I wonder if he'd support the death penalty for himself?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

"Y'know, back in the old days, bing, bong, when we were strong"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ci0S0RjXw

Jesus it's shocking that Campaign Trump looks like a put together well rehearsed speaker compared to Q4 President Trump

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 16, 2017

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/10/16/sen-cochran-to-miss-votes-indefinitely-narrowing-gop-margin-for-budget/

does h e have legit health problems that are dire enough to miss votes or does he just not want to be part of this poo poo show

He toured our plant about 2 years ago or so and didn't seem like he was all there, and had trouble getting around so it wouldn't surprise me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bing bong let's euthanize the mentally ill

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Bing bong let's euthanize the mentally ill

rip gip

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder when we're going to start seeing vietnam era type protests because that poo poo would drive trump bonkers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

more like rip the entire loving internet, let's try to be objective about this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I wonder when we're going to start seeing vietnam era type protests because that poo poo would drive trump bonkers

Those are happening around the other war monuments, and there are many fine people involved.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If Donnie hadn't managed to dodge the draft I guarantee you somebody would have fragged him. He could have been in charge of the snack bar and somebody would have fragged him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can you imagine trump as a LT leading a combat patrol, especially in Vietnam when platoons were getting wiped out on a regular basis?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Trump would have ended up in the NG stateside cracking protester heads.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Can you imagine trump as a LT leading a combat patrol, especially in Vietnam when platoons were getting wiped out on a regular basis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6da9U6Xjd8&t=131s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Good clip that one, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPGyt3ZDv2Y

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/919948648619872256

Edit:

https://twitter.com/GlobalNational/status/920047748086419457

The liquor finally caught up to Lahey

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 16, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr_Ruckus posted:

He toured our plant about 2 years ago or so and didn't seem like he was all there, and had trouble getting around so it wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/11/16458142/congress-alzheimers-pharmacist

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Alachua County, Florida is in a declared state of emergency in advance of Richard Spencer's talk on thursday so they have cops coming down from alabama to supplement Gainesville PD.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Dodging the draft was the best thing Trump ever did for his country.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alachua County, Florida is in a declared state of emergency in advance of Richard Spencer's talk on thursday so they have cops coming down from alabama to supplement Gainesville PD.

They are gonna loving smash counter protesters and give complimentary handjobs to that Nazi fuckboi.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

dear robot people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDc-9HLky-k

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It happened a while ago, it was probably boring as gently caress so they need to edit it to look cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Dodging the draft was the best thing Trump ever did for his country.

Or the worst, depending on how you look at it.

• Locked thread