Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have a Mac, spend money on Waltr and just dump them directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Some apps let you transfer videos via an HTTP server on your home network. AVPlayerHD does that. I'd be surprised if VLC didn't.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Infuse can grab stuff directly off of SMB shares. It's nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a bunch of mkv files and want to put them on my girlfriend's iPad for a flight:

1. what format should they be in?
2. what player would be needed?
3. can I just navigate to my NAS and drag them over somehow?

I'm not an iPad or iPhone owner, so don't know much about iOS.

Endless Mike posted:

If you have a Mac, spend money on Waltr and just dump them directly.

I was just about to post this. The app seems like one of those you'd see on late night infomercials, but it's really an amazingly simple piece of software. You plug in your iOS device and drag them into the interface window. It will convert, download, and put them into the default iOS videos app. It works really fast and I use it all the time to load up videos on the kid's iPads for long car trips. It works on Windows PCs now too, used to be MacOS only.

https://softorino.com/waltr/

The original Waltr software is $20 and will do everything you want. There's a Waltr2 but as far as I can tell all they added was WiFi sync and doubled the price.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Waltr is the poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Waltr is the poo poo.

Yeah it's great. That company have a really good marketing department too, their emails are slick as gently caress

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Ok then assuming I don't want to pay for something, I'd think just using VLC to play the mkvs wouldn't be great because then the file size will be huge. I assumed converting to another format has the benefit of that format being smaller?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I guess it's asking too much to expect someone to pay for a useful utility to watch their MKVs that fell off the back of a truck.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't have an iOS device and it seems like a limited use app especially for $20. She wouldn't see the value in it at all.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Why not convert with Handbrake instead?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

If you use plex, you can also download through plex and the server will do the conversion on the fly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

If you use plex, you can also download through plex and the server will do the conversion on the fly

You can't store files for offline use without a plex pass

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

nPlayer for MKVs, always. Drag and drop from a computer, or it also supports network storage.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id539397400?mt=8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it's great. That company have a really good marketing department too, their emails are slick as gently caress

I got Waltr as part of some software bundle and was very much aggravated by their marketing. They send a lot of email for a single purpose application.

So now, a year later I was looking for a better way to encode files for my iPad and I totally didn't even think about that annoying app I already had. I'll have to dig out my license and try it out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

nPlayer for MKVs, always. Drag and drop from a computer, or it also supports network storage.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id539397400?mt=8

you don't understand, he doesn't want to pay for software that solves the exact problem he has

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

you don't understand, he doesn't want to pay for software that solves the exact problem he has

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If you don't want to pay for software or play the MKVs natively, use Handbrake. It has a preset for iOS devices. It'll probably take a while to convert everything, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Maybe he wants the Android thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

If you don't want to pay for software or play the MKVs natively, use Handbrake. It has a preset for iOS devices. It'll probably take a while to convert everything, though.

It will take a long time.

I recently converted my entire BluRay library using MakeMKV, and was going to run it through Handbrake to remux into MP4s and also to reduce the size from 20-30ish GB to around 12-15GB. Once I saw it would take around 3+ hours per MKV, I stopped and carved out a larger sized media volume on my NAS and just use the uncompressed MKVs.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Gigi Galli posted:

Download handbrake, convert to MP4, add to iTunes, sync, will play in the tv/videos app. Alternatively, I think the vlc player app will play them just like they are but I haven't tried lately.

I have a flight at the end of the week, and I did exactly this a few days ago. Depending on how fast your PC converts to mp4 (about 3-4 hours for a 2 hour movie on my desktop), it shouldn’t take too long.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
OK on the pro when I'm in an app and then I swipe up the dock, drag another app to float over it, how do I get rid of that floating app when I'm down with it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GoldfishStew posted:

OK on the pro when I'm in an app and then I swipe up the dock, drag another app to float over it, how do I get rid of that floating app when I'm down with it?

swipe it off the screen.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a knock-off of the Smart Cover for the Air 2? I'm looking to keep the profile as slim as possible and just need something that'll give the iPad something to sit upright. The smart cover would be perfect, but not looking at spending $40 on one.

Thanks in advance!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Is there a knock-off of the Smart Cover for the Air 2? I'm looking to keep the profile as slim as possible and just need something that'll give the iPad something to sit upright. The smart cover would be perfect, but not looking at spending $40 on one.

Thanks in advance!

I have a spare one that I’m not using. You can have it for cost of shipping. It’s space grey. PM me your details and I’ll send it out.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone feel that multitasking on the iPad pro with iOS 11 is really bad? The swiping up from the bottom and sides of the screen is really inconsistent and annoying.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Multitasking in iOS11 seems really solid to me. What do you mean by inconsistent?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The only thing I don't like about the multitasking is that the gestures for the floating app window are really clunky. When an app pops up windowed when you want it full-screened, is there no single gesture you can use to make it replace the app behind it?

Other than that, I wouldn't go back to iOS 10. The new dock rules and I never have to do the 4-finger app-switch swipe gesture anymore.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Entropy238 posted:

Anyone feel that multitasking on the iPad pro with iOS 11 is really bad? The swiping up from the bottom and sides of the screen is really inconsistent and annoying.

Yeah it is garbage

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

tankadillo posted:

The only thing I don't like about the multitasking is that the gestures for the floating app window are really clunky. When an app pops up windowed when you want it full-screened, is there no single gesture you can use to make it replace the app behind it?

I don't think so. I think the quickest way to do this is go to the home-screen and then select it from the dock.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Know Such Peace posted:

Multitasking in iOS11 seems really solid to me. What do you mean by inconsistent?

I'd say I get the the dock/multitasking panel up first swipe about 50% of the time. Sometimes it feels like I have to do it on the little tab thing that pops up as well.

In generally I find swiping from the left or right side of the screens fine/natural, but swiping from the bottom is just absolute poo poo.

There should be a multitasking button in apps or some other extra hard button on the iPad for it, idk. I have the same problem with the control panel on my iphone 6 too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah it is garbage

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
If you have a split view and want an application that is floating to take the place (not swap, simply take) of one of the split apps, drag the top of the floating window to the top of the portion of the screen with the app to be replaced. The same can be done from the dock (drag icon of app to same location and hold for a second) the opposite to turn it back into a floating window is also possible.

And just because I understand it doesn't mean I like it, it sucks and I figured this out in a vain attempt at getting notes and kindle to do split (kindle doesn't split).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah it is garbage

It’s completely awful

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FCKGW posted:

I have a spare one that I’m not using. You can have it for cost of shipping. It’s space grey. PM me your details and I’ll send it out.

It arrived today and it's perfect! Thank you!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dumb question, how do I clean the felt on the smart keyboard. It's all stained and dusty on account on me using my iPad everywhere

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Weedle posted:

If you don't care about making the file size smaller, you probably don't even have to do that. MKV is just a container, most of the time you can just save the video and audio streams as an MP4. I use Subler. Just open the MKV, make sure the video, audio, and any subtitle files are checked, and save it as an MP4. It takes like 30 seconds per file. No re-encoding necessary.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dipshit cousin dropped my iPad Mini 2 - what’s the best replacement screen to get? I see some on eBay for $20-40.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Get the one with the frame, not just the digitiser. The extra ~$15 you'll spend will save you hours of frustration and ball ache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got two questions for ya guys:

1. after the latest ios update, all my mail accounts are being merged under one with the built in Mail app. Is there anyway to get out of that? Not sure what happened with it.

2. Anyone know of a good auto loop video player for a ipad?