Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

your eyes are capable of seeing this huge cie chart why would you let anything less than Rec 2020 in?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg

are there videophiles that are crazy about impossible colors like audiophiles and ultrasound/infrasound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

basically George Lucas banged together sticks to make Star Wars and it sucked but it's what he had based off the time and money back then but then w
he went to glorious digital saved a ton of money, avoided a bunch of union work l, and then made 3 billy when he was ready to CASH OUT

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

even movie theatres have ducking lasers and p3 gamut and anybody can pay a few bucks to see last decades technilogy?

lasers? i thought laser projectors had horrendous speckle

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and he still never touched a 4:2:0 medium. makes u think.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

pagancow posted:

loudness wars comes from professionals mastering. you stuck son

frame interpolation comes from display manufacturers and can be turned off if you have a working brain. big difference.

what I mean is, both are techniques that can gently caress up the fidelity of the image/audio. Compression is obviously useful in audio but the loudness war has often resulted in some of it just brick walling a limiter, and humans being stupid morons thinking it sounds good.

same deal with the tv store and over-saturating stuff, people think it’s good but it isn’t.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hobbesmaster posted:

are there videophiles that are crazy about impossible colors like audiophiles and ultrasound/infrasound?

yeah if your crazy about cancerous gamma radiation or ur a bug and can see radio waves then go for it mang

pagancow fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 16, 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Ocrassus posted:

what I mean is, both are techniques that can gently caress up the fidelity of the image/audio. Compression is obviously useful in audio but the loudness war has often resulted in some of it just brick walling a limiter, and humans being stupid morons thinking it sounds good.

same deal with the tv store and over-saturating stuff, people think it’s good but it isn’t.

tv processing is still complicated. they try not to over saturate skin tones since humans can see good.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol don't try to compare loudness wars with Samsung trying to sell a TV.

unless you want to talk audio and lol most films have 12-18 FB dynamic range head room. lol get hosed music lovers audio sucks.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Michael bay cares more about audio sounding good than anybody who has mastered a song in the last 15 years hahahah like seriously just close your ears son.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also when you license a track for a movie you get the uncompressed stems and can master it better so maybe it's just a talent thing instead of wanting to hang 3x L3 maximizers in the master bus and getting a beer after work.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

yes but the reels were transferred to hdcam sr and those are the official masters.

Lucas was right that 1080p was better than film because a completely optical workflow for film means you get to barely see 800ish lines of resolution during projection with the best optical practices.

shooting 1080 and digitally projecting digital 1080 gives you 1080 lines.

he was wrong about everything else in the prequels

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Dolby has been controlling the dynamic range on movies with metadata since 1996

music is still 44.1 so some frequencies are missing hahahhaga

might as well pull some dude out off the street and say can you shoot my 100 million dollar explosion on your phone? I don't want to turn on my arri Alexa today.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

and LOL if u think those rec.601 masters of Star Wars are some how George lucases original version of the film that old 1977 reel has so much film grain ud :captainpop:

there's a copy of star wars floating around that was "scanned" with a dslr lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

he was wrong about everything else in the prequels

do u have 3 billy in the bank?

I'd love to be that wrong too

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

yes but the reels were transferred to hdcam sr and those are the official masters.

aside from a few special venues, EP1 was shown at all theaters as a 35mm film print.

quote:

Lucas was right that 1080p was better than film because a completely optical workflow for film means you get to barely see 800ish lines of resolution during projection with the best optical practices.

what non-george-lucas source are you basing that on?

if you’re counting “lines” as a light-dark cycle, like some people do/did when talking about film resolution, then 1080p only has 540 “lines” of resolution.

quote:

shooting 1080 and digitally projecting digital 1080 gives you 1080 lines.

almost no theaters had digital projectors in 2002. EP2 was shown in most theaters on 35mm film prints made from the digital master.

I remember reading the specs for a then-high-end digital cinema projector and IIRC its resolution was something like 1024x1024.

a few people who’d gone out of their way to find a theater that was showing EP2 digitally said they could see the pixels because the projector didn’t have enough resolution.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ocrassus posted:

surely something like over-saturation would be the equivalent? Like when people go shopping for TVs and they tune the saturation way up so the sales guy can be like ‘and look at how vivid these colours are’, because people prioritise LOUD over dynamic range.

right but the base video is still totally fine on that content cuz its just some doofus at best buy turning up a control and at worst a tv might require to change a menu option to get it to show the right things again

where a loudness war cd would have the same compressed dynamic range no matter what player you put it in.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

there's a copy of star wars floating around that was "scanned" with a dslr lol

hahahahahahahahhahahahahhagahaha

did they also use the canon profile that does that aggressive s curve to make blacks and whites pop?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

did they also use the canon profile that does that aggressive s curve to make blacks and whites pop?

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/media/TN1_2_0-2k.mp4

akadajet fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 16, 2017

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

pagancow posted:

lol don't try to compare loudness wars with Samsung trying to sell a TV.

unless you want to talk audio and lol most films have 12-18 FB dynamic range head room. lol get hosed music lovers audio sucks.

what’s the difference? make record louder to sell records, make tvs more ‘colourful’ to sell tvs.

and ofc major video media audio is mastered better, positional audio is actually important, your poo poo is probably on certified hardware, and dynamic range is actually necessary.

e:

point taken

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

aside from a few special venues, EP1 was shown at all theaters as a 35mm film print.

what non-george-lucas source are you basing that on?

if you’re counting “lines” as a light-dark cycle, like some people do/did when talking about film resolution, then 1080p only has 540 “lines” of resolution.

almost no theaters had digital projectors in 2002. EP2 was shown in most theaters on 35mm film prints made from the digital master.

I remember reading the specs for a then-high-end digital cinema projector and IIRC its resolution was something like 1024x1024.

a few people who’d gone out of their way to find a theater that was showing EP2 digitally said they could see the pixels because the projector didn’t have enough resolution.

master is safe that's all that matters.

yes I bet those 35mm prints also looked better than any 35mm film in a completely optical post workflow.

are you really going to jump my poo poo for lpf at a specific mm vs video scanlines ?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Ocrassus posted:

what’s the difference? make record louder to sell records, make tvs more ‘colourful’ to sell tvs.

and ofc major video media audio is mastered better, positional audio is actually important, your poo poo is probably on certified hardware, and dynamic range is actually necessary.

spotted someone working in indie music scene

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

but don't even show me your ditch quality indie film bullshit unless it's 4K hdr and in a 4:2:2 codec

4:2:2? if you shot it digitally then you better have shot it 4:4:4 RGB son.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't subsample chroma at all

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

4:2:2? if you shot it digitally then you better have shot it 4:4:4 RGB son.

Bayer patters would like to have a discussion with you

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

i don't subsample chroma at all

ok but next time I see you try to take a picture with your smartphone imma slap that poo poo outta your hand

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ocrassus posted:

the loudness war was as much about dumbshit bands wanting their music to sound on the CD the same as on the radio as anything else IIRC. more loudness didn’t mean more sales (for the music).

with motion interpolation and oversaturation introduced by your TV, you can just turn it off or get a better TV. the movie isn’t mastered that way. whereas with audio and the loudness war, if you cared about quality at all, welp, too bad, that’s how the CD was and probably how it was mastered.

for audio, the equivalent of motion smoothing and oversaturation would be systems coming with lovely default EQ presets.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

Bayer patters would like to have a discussion with you

get that garbage-tier sensor outta my sight.

no interpolated color values allowed in THIS house, mister.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

pagancow posted:

spotted someone working in indie music scene

Not even. I have 0 interest in, as you say, lining up 3 compressors to torture a wave form.

I do want one of those Atmos soundbars Sony makes though.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

get that garbage-tier sensor outta my sight.

no interpolated color values allowed in THIS house, mister.

cool arri Alexa 65, Red dick suck-machine gun or whatever their high end thing is called now, and Sony f65 are trash tier. got it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

Red dick suck-machine gun

tell me more

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

cool arri Alexa 65, Red dick suck-machine gun or whatever their high end thing is called now, and Sony f65 are trash tier. got it.

not my fault they decided to artificially inflate their sensor resolution by not having it record data for every channel on every pixel :shrug:

seriouschat, it kinda sucks that they're going after MOAR RESOLUTION instead of 4:4:4 and no bayer patterns. but even NASA is sending sensors with bayer patterns but more advertised resolution now, so v:shobon:v

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
can't wait for the RED 16K EYEGASM MEGADRAGON

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

it’s an open secret that Disney is sitting on a 4K restoration of the original, un-specialialized trilogy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

not my fault they decided to artificially inflate their sensor resolution by not having it record data for every channel on every pixel :shrug:

seriouschat, it kinda sucks that they're going after MOAR RESOLUTION instead of 4:4:4 and no bayer patterns. but even NASA is sending sensors with bayer patterns but more advertised resolution now, so v:shobon:v

"o no i dont trust computer algorithms to reconstruct color data!"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i shoot everything with a foveon sensor :smugmrgw:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

X-trans bithc

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i'm going to get all pagancow if posters itt seriously want to reignite bayer pattern vs 3-ccd

i love my pd150 but 3-ccd is deep in the cold dead earth where it belongs

colour correlates. deal with it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

josh04 posted:

i'm going to get all pagancow if posters itt seriously want to reignite bayer pattern vs 3-ccd

i dare you to do it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fuckin 2v1 me bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

oh yeah that's a nice arri 24mm prime you've got there, allow me to place your £15k glass right here in front of this lovely loving three-way prism. optical aberrations? what the gently caress are those?

and let's hope you never loving drop this thing because if those sensors move half a millimetre out of sync you're going back to the clean room

which you need to fix your camera because there's a stupid loving block of glass in there

all because idiot nerds understand pixel count but not colour science

duuuh, my screen has a red green and blue for every pixel, so should my camera, even though the colour channels correlation 90% of the time and interpolation is perceptually indistinguishable from capture, i think we should have a full loving image sensor for blue pixels

polarisation???? who knows

• Locked thread