Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
FEAR 3 is absolutely best played as a coop game. I can't say what it's like for the Fettel player, as I played Point Man the whole way, but seeing a ghost bro run around and gently caress poo poo up by possessing people and such while you're shooting their faces off is definitely better than whatever pseudo-horror atmosphere they were going for. Plus the ending of the game is pretty cool when you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Meallan posted:

I would recommend playing through maybe the first 4 missions or So, before the game gets too obtuse. Just to get the sense of dread. But knowing exactly what you have to do will probably ruin that a bit.

I'd say the ps3 remake is perfect for people interested in Siren who want to do more than just watch it. There is something akin to the original game structure, where doing optional actions in an earlier segment unlock optional tidbits in later area's, but they don't impede progress in any way.

The main thing you miss out on, vs the original Siren 1, is how the enemies sound in first person. It's good in both versions, but in the original it's exceptionally freaky.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is one of my favorite games. It does atmosphere so fuckiing well.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I'm watching the Best Friends play Home Sweet Home and yowza it looks absolutely terrifying. I gotta pause the vid every few minutes and take a break

gently caress I haven't watched Matt and Pat this month.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of the Ethan Carter devs, Adrian Chmielarz, is kinda a creep imo. Has some decent points, but...blehk. His whole pro-GG, anti-feminist frequency, totally missing the point of both of them thing? Not my cuppa tea. Wouldn't have played it if it hadn't come with some Humble Bundle. I wish I could live in death of the author land.

Game sure is pretty tho. :shobon:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

One of the Ethan Carter devs, Adrian Chmielarz, is kinda a creep imo. Has some decent points, but...blehk. His whole pro-GG, anti-feminist frequency, totally missing the point of both of them thing? Not my cuppa tea. Wouldn't have played it if it hadn't come with some Humble Bundle. I wish I could live in death of the author land.

Game sure is pretty tho. :shobon:

At least post an article about it if you're gonna call him a creep

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vi...-and-critic-122

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Vanishing was a good game, but there were some pacing and signpost flaws. I think the opening stretch leading to the dam? was a little too long by 20-25%, and the one scene near the start with the rocket ship needed to be waaay better highlighted for the player, such as with an obvious foot trail. I had to look up what I was missing to find it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm actually kind of glad I missed the rocket ship since that made it a bit too obvious as to what was going on, all the other 'stories' were kind of consistent with each other from what I remember but that was too much.
At least when you got to the end you could just teleport yourself back there.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pyrolocutus posted:

Vanishing was a good game, but there were some pacing and signpost flaws. I think the opening stretch leading to the dam? was a little too long by 20-25%, and the one scene near the start with the rocket ship needed to be waaay better highlighted for the player, such as with an obvious foot trail. I had to look up what I was missing to find it.

Agreed, a few times it could definitely be obtuse.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's some good mods for State of Decay. One did something like multiply the amount of zombies in any given place (they are actually really sparse), and another made their bites deadly. With both of them, State of Decay became a roguelike where you are assigned a random character (when you die, you just respawn as someone else) with random perks and starting equipment and then get as far as possible. Had fun with it once those things were in place.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

State of Decay was pretty weird in that it felt like at one point they simulated a lot more stuff and then later on just chopped out a lot of it. Like there's no reason to ever go back up to the campgrounds once you leave there, and there's stuff with the other factions in the game but it's almost all tied directly to story missions so it doesn't matter (The cop/mayor factions getting introduced and then annihilated one mission later?) But anyway, interested to see what they do with the sequel

edit: I don't know what the term for it is (deprecated feature?) but it reminded me a little of the first Fable, where for one or two missions you see super high leveled quests being offered that you can't take and then they disappear

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

State of Decay was pretty weird in that it felt like at one point they simulated a lot more stuff and then later on just chopped out a lot of it. Like there's no reason to ever go back up to the campgrounds once you leave there, and there's stuff with the other factions in the game but it's almost all tied directly to story missions so it doesn't matter (The cop/mayor factions getting introduced and then annihilated one mission later?) But anyway, interested to see what they do with the sequel

edit: I don't know what the term for it is (deprecated feature?) but it reminded me a little of the first Fable, where for one or two missions you see super high leveled quests being offered that you can't take and then they disappear

I was following State of Decay back in its early early early days, when the game existed as little more than concept art and blog posts.

It was originally supposed to be a big multiplayer thing and would have features like real base building with customizable structures. I think their indie budget and very long development cycle eventually encouraged them to pare it down heavily just to get it released. They wanted it to be a predecessor to their big online multiplayer game, but that never came to fruition.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I hope they do away with the time/resource simulation stuff in the sequel. Its a cool idea but nothing made me want to never turn the game on again like loading a game and seeing everything go to poo poo. It always felt like they only did half of the simulation.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

oldpainless posted:

Is there a thread for Little Nightmares? Thanks
its a 3 hour game

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bogart posted:

One of the Ethan Carter devs, Adrian Chmielarz, is kinda a creep imo.

Kind of a creep is putting it mildly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played a lot of video games with bad or otherwise forgettable stories but Ethan Carter's was maybe the only one that I truly hated. I also really disliked, contrary to what you might first assume, that it's actually a puzzle game and you need to complete all the puzzles in order to advance. I think this was before they patched in the ability to teleport so at some point I had to run all the way back to the beginning to solve a puzzle that I didn't even know was a puzzle at the time. It all kind of ruins the experience of exploring this creepy atmospheric countryside when you then have to arrange corpse parts like you're in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. I honestly feel like it would have been better as simply a demo with no story attached.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There is still very little I love more in videogames than the enemies in FEAR going from smug jerks to *freaking the hell out* as they realize just what they've gotten into picking a fight with you and your bullet time spamming maniac

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathChicken posted:

There is still very little I love more in videogames than the enemies in FEAR going from smug jerks to *freaking the hell out* as they realize just what they've gotten into picking a fight with you and your bullet time spamming maniac

"HE'S TOO FAST!"

"I CAN'T SEE, WHERE IS HE!?"

It was helped along a lot by the fact that they're actually really dangerous and the AI is very effective, so when you take those fuckers apart you *really* feel like a badass.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
14. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
15. F.E.A.R. 3
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

17. Bloody Streets

“Top-down zombie killer” is probably one of the lowest bars to clear for game development. You need a player character that moves and shoots, enemies that approach in large, slow groups, and enough space to kite the whole mess of them around. Bloody Streets ticks all of those boxes and doesn’t really find any new ones to shoot for. If that’s enough for your, great, but the whole time I was playing I kept thinking about how much more could be done with the formula.

You play some military dude on his way to clear out a host of the infected in some part of a ruined city. Something happens to his helicopter, and… You know what? I don’t even remember this part and I watched it an hour ago. You’re a shootman, you shoot deadmans. Holding out through three waves is enough for another copter to come pick your guy up and deposit him in the next hive of the undead, on and on and on. I think there are four general areas, themed around industry or farms or other places that really should not be thronging with the walking dead.

This one’s pure keyboard/mouse, allowing you full range of movement and freedom to shoot in any direction. That’ll come in handy because each wave of enemies surges out of the very walls of the level, without any clear points of entry and virtually no warning. Starting out you’ll just have slow zombies and the occasional fast one, but a few levels in your foes will branch out into large zombies, exploding zombies, spitting spiders, and swarming maggots. Every few levels you’ll unlock a new weapon to level against the hordes, everything from revolvers to miniguns, but really only the high-capacity guns are any use since you have to scramble about for ammo whilst blazing away.

The only other features I can highlight are the environmental hazards like exploding barrels and speeding trains, and the rage ability you get by collecting orbs off of enemies and activate to become invulnerable and splatter things that touch you. That’s pretty much everything you need for a baseline zombie arena shooter, from enemies to weapons to basic special powers, and that also describes Bloody Streets to a T. There are no upgrades, no collectibles, no currency, no secrets, no branching paths, absolutely nothing beyond the most basic necessities to call your game a zombie shooter.

Graphically the game is just as functional as its design, and the sound effects have some pretty robust samples to enhance your reloading experience in particular. You get around 20 levels of action that really just change up the enemy compositions and environmental hazards, and that’s it. I’d say that’ll last you around two hours tops, so if all you’re asking is the baseline zombie-killing experience you’ll find it right here. I can’t really thumb down a game that does what it’s supposed to do in a competent way, but I can certainly point out there are plenty of games that do it better.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Could you point to plenty of games that do it better, please? i was actually looking for just this style of game this weekend.

I eventually settled on the creatively named "Alien Shooter 2" (not zombies but still same sort of game) which... well, honestly I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although it's really stupid that it has no ability to save between autosaves and the autosaves happen when you return to central command instead of when you deploy on a mission, meaning that if you ever go through briefings/shopping and then stop playing you gotta do them all over again.

But I imagine there's much better out there and would love being pointed in the right direction. I find something satisfying about the genre.

I still think the difficult to google Decision series is my favorite and sort of the "gold standard" - both the normal zombie ones and their more fantasy oriented fare. Clear objectives, lots of missions, a nice variety of enemies and weapons and scenery and good ability progression. I would buy like a dozen Decision-level games if they were available.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 17, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Could you point to plenty of games that do it better, please? i was actually looking for just this style of game this weekend.

I eventually settled on the creatively named "Alien Shooter 2" (not zombies but still same sort of game) which... well, honestly I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although it's really stupid that it has no ability to save between autosaves and the autosaves happen when you return to central command instead of when you deploy on a mission, meaning that if you ever go through briefings/shopping and then stop playing you gotta do them all over again.

But I imagine there's much better out there and would love being pointed in the right direction. I find something satisfying about the genre.

I still think the difficult to google Decision series is my favorite and sort of the "gold standard" - both the normal zombie ones and their more fantasy oriented fare. Clear objectives, lots of missions, a nice variety of enemies and weapons and scenery and good ability progression. I would buy like a dozen Decision-level games if they were available.

I don't play a lot of zombie games but I enjoyed the hell out of Splatter when I played it a few years ago. It's more story-based than arena but it has some really good level design and an absolutely hilarious fedora-wearing protagonist. Beyond zombies there's the classic Shadowgrounds (which is on sale right now!) where you fight across a planet full of nasty aliens.

Honestly though, when it comes to top-down shooters I much prefer the roguelike treatment. Enter the Gungeon, Teleglitch, Deathstate, and even something like Overture are more my speed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you are looking for any top down shooter then the sci-fi Helldivers is a solid choice, it frequently goes on sale as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, I don't really like the fast paced, bullet-hell like "arcade arena roguelike" style very much. I actually hated Teleglitch a lot, I had some fun with Nuclear Throne but it's just... too much and not enough? I like stuff that's more slower paced, with some story or at least a focus on atmosphere and context.

Splatter looks like it could be a lot of fun though, definitely going to check that one out. Especially since it's $5 alone but if you buy it as part of a bundle with 4 other games its less than $4... not a bad deal.

Actually, maybe you guys can remember this because it was heavy on the horror, but there was an old zombie swarm shooter I absolutely loved.

Top down shooter. You'd travel through this town, there were some NPCs sometimes split into a couple factions you could side with. There were sewers and churches you visited for various purposes. Sometimes the whole world would go into "hell mode" and there were really weird ghosts and monstrous poo poo.

God why can't I remember the name of it, it was so damned good.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you are looking for any top down shooter then the sci-fi Helldivers is a solid choice, it frequently goes on sale as well.

Helldivers is... good. But it's uh... very shallow in terms of what you do in the game while also being super duper easy, and I'm pretty sure I milked it for all it was worth in two nights. It was a fun two nights though, and it was good to have a nice easy 4 player co-op game to chill with some of my less-video-game oriented friends.

The boss fights were super fun though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 17, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
You could try Team 17's series, Alien Breed on Steam. Not zombies, but might be something worth looking into.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I've only played Alien Breed 2 but I really didn't like it. Are the other ones better about backtracking and switch-flipping all the time?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Actually, maybe you guys can remember this because it was heavy on the horror, but there was an old zombie swarm shooter I absolutely loved.

Top down shooter. You'd travel through this town, there were some NPCs sometimes split into a couple factions you could side with. There were sewers and churches you visited for various purposes. Sometimes the whole world would go into "hell mode" and there were really weird ghosts and monstrous poo poo.

God why can't I remember the name of it, it was so damned good.

Survival Crisis Z?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I've played a lot of video games with bad or otherwise forgettable stories but Ethan Carter's was maybe the only one that I truly hated. I also really disliked, contrary to what you might first assume, that it's actually a puzzle game and you need to complete all the puzzles in order to advance. I think this was before they patched in the ability to teleport so at some point I had to run all the way back to the beginning to solve a puzzle that I didn't even know was a puzzle at the time. It all kind of ruins the experience of exploring this creepy atmospheric countryside when you then have to arrange corpse parts like you're in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. I honestly feel like it would have been better as simply a demo with no story attached.

I'm with you here, I did not care for the story at all, and I thought some of the puzzles felt pretty clunky and wedged into the game to avoid the dreaded label of "walking simulator." The atmosphere and visuals are great, but for me neither of those elements were enough to make the game feel like anything but kind of a chore.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

Survival Crisis Z?

Yes! Thank you!

Oh man I loved that game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kokoro Wish posted:

You could try Team 17's series, Alien Breed on Steam. Not zombies, but might be something worth looking into.

Or Team 17's Alien Breed on GOG. Those are the original ones, I've only played a little bit of them but I hear they're better than the new ones.

I really liked Alien Shooter, the first one, and it gets real tough later on, but its been a while since I played it, I should try it again. I have Zombie Shooter, by the same guys, but I don't remember much of it, I don't think I played much for some reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you suck at top down shooters but like the theme I would suggest Atom Zombie Smasher. It's a puzzle-y game where you're given an array of weapons like airstrikes and snipers to take out waves of zombies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

catlord posted:

I really liked Alien Shooter, the first one, and it gets real tough later on, but its been a while since I played it, I should try it again. I have Zombie Shooter, by the same guys, but I don't remember much of it, I don't think I played much for some reason.

Everything I've read has said Alien Shooter 2 is way better. I am enjoying it so far but... that Splatter game above has vehicles! And I already bought it. So I might not end up playing AS2 long enough to tell if it also gets tougher later on, hahah.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Observer is on the Playstation sale for 40% off. I think I will check it out at that price.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Everything I've read has said Alien Shooter 2 is way better. I am enjoying it so far but... that Splatter game above has vehicles! And I already bought it. So I might not end up playing AS2 long enough to tell if it also gets tougher later on, hahah.

Yeah, I've heard that too but I haven't played it. Maybe when it goes on sale, and maybe Zombie Shooter 2 as well? Splatter looks like it could be good fun too, I'll keep an eye on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

shadowgrounds is definitely a solid entry in that genre, check it out if you can

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh man I strongly urge y'all to check out Eat Me. It's a very well-written, very creepy little text adventure where (almost) your only verb is "eat". You can play it in browser and it's not very long; the puzzles are clever but not super tough. There aren't any vivid descriptions of blood & gore or anything like that -- instead, everything's presented as this surreal sort of fairy tale & I found it really unnerving. Worth a look for sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Amnesia collection is free on Playstation Plus this month.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Well, poo poo. There go my hopes of Dead Space getting remastered, or even anymore installments. EA did their usual party trick, and shut down Visceral Studios. :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

shadowgrounds is definitely a solid entry in that genre, check it out if you can

I've had them for a long time, and I played the first one for a bit and enjoyed it until I got stuck trying to flip some switches with respawning enemies or something? I've been meaning to try it again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

limited posted:

Well, poo poo. There go my hopes of Dead Space getting remastered, or even anymore installments. EA did their usual party trick, and shut down Visceral Studios. :(

Are you loving kidding me

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

limited posted:

I remember posting gently caress EA in Games back when I first registered. Nice to know some things never change. Seriously with all this and the brewing trouuble of DA4 I think EA is having a meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What exactly possesses some of these developers to expect a big giant multi media franchise out of horror games? Like, not even RE or Silent Hill were that critical of a success, and in the case of their films, not exactly successful for legitimate reasons. Horror has always exploded from being a low budget project that gets big returns. You never win going to the opposite way with these things.