Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Javid posted:

How's Ethiopian Airlines? They've got an amazing $719 round trip direct from LAX to DUB and back which is the best deal I can find in the universe for this trip.

Acceptable to ok, I would pay maybe 10% extra to fly a ME carrier (other than Emirates) instead of them, no premium for US carriers or most Euro majors. A330 > B787 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Schwa posted:

I heard about that one too, it's weird.

What's the deal with Spirit? They're the cheapest to get from NYC to Chicago on the dates I'm looking, but are there serious issues with them? Minor issues I can deal with.

They're one of the super-low cost airlines growing rapidly (Frontier is another). They specialize is super-low rates for tickets but everything, seriously everything, is an added cost.

Carry-on bag larger than a purse: $
Any legroom whatsoever: $
Assigned seat: $
In-flight beverage: $

If you don't mind flying all cramped up in the smallest seats imaginable with very little carried with you, you can fly for really cheap.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, I had a look but it's going to be baggage that tips the balance. I'll be travelling with checked baggage so not really worth it anyway. Cheers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Trying to find the absolute cheapest tickets from LAS to Puerto Vallarta in October, flying on a Wednesday and then a Sunday. Southwest isn't bad, (It comes to just under $1k round trip for two people) but I feel like I can do better. Where should I look?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Trying to find the absolute cheapest tickets from LAS to Puerto Vallarta in October, flying on a Wednesday and then a Sunday. Southwest isn't bad, (It comes to just under $1k round trip for two people) but I feel like I can do better. Where should I look?

Google Flights? How you feel may not have anything to do with reality, and secondary cities in Mexico can often run around $450 or $500 per person.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got any tips on the best way to fly from Sydney to Portugal?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Searching expedia for flight+hotel always seems to give me way way better prices than using google flights etc to find a cheap flight and then expedia just to find a good deal on a hotel. Is the flight+hotel thing on expedia really that strong or am I not searching properly for cheap hotels?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Be super careful with Expedia if you're taking luggage, I've had them gently caress me over twice in the last three years by having them give me a price that said one piece of luggage included, then getting to the airport and finding out that no, luggage was not in fact included on that fare, and having to pay $120 per bag because I didn't pre-order my luggage. Cost me an extra $240 each time since my husband and I each had a bag.

I'll literally never, ever use them to book a flight again after that experience.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, those package deals are almost always a worse deal for one reason or another.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Origin: Detroit (DTW) Would be willing to drive a few hours to other airports
Destination: HNL Honolulu, was hoping to leave from a different island Maui Maybe
Duration of trip: March 10th, 2018 to the 24th
Flexibility: +/- 3 days, would really like to Stay for at least two weeks though.

Couple of things, we're planning the trip for four and we're hoping to go to at least to The Big Island, Maui, and O'ahu
so pretty flexible about landing on any of those three spots.

Appreciate the help goons!

Texibus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 13, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

HookShot posted:

Be super careful with Expedia if you're taking luggage, I've had them gently caress me over twice in the last three years by having them give me a price that said one piece of luggage included, then getting to the airport and finding out that no, luggage was not in fact included on that fare, and having to pay $120 per bag because I didn't pre-order my luggage. Cost me an extra $240 each time since my husband and I each had a bag.

I'll literally never, ever use them to book a flight again after that experience.

I just ended up flying Southwest. Cheap and reliable.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Texibus posted:

Origin: Detroit (DTW) Would be willing to drive a few hours to other airports
Destination: HNL Honolulu, was hoping to leave from a different island Maui Maybe
Duration of trip: March 10th, 2018 to the 24th
Flexibility: +/- 3 days, would really like to Stay for at least two weeks though.

Couple of things, we're planning the trip for four and we're hoping to go to at least to The Big Island, Maui, and O'ahu
so pretty flexible about landing on any of those three spots.

Appreciate the help goons!

Google flights helps here. There aren't reasonable options other than DTW (CLE, TOL, and GRR are all more expensive) and you can search flights to HNL, KOA, and OGG. Play with the dates to see fares, but expect to pay $900 to $1100 per person for the privilege given that you're going in the middle of Spring Break. I do see some $722 options with long layovers in PDX; there are worse places to spend eight hours than PDX to be sure.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Do you think waiting will help at all or should I book now? I did find one at 2,100 for three of us coming out of DTW. Doesn't seem like I'd do much better than that.

(one of our party is coming out of St. Louis.)

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LAX (or nearby) to CDG (or nearby)
December 23 to January 6 (some flexibility)
Ideally not a 30+hour affair. 1 layover is fine
2 adult passengers, with 2 checked bags

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Alec Eiffel posted:

LAX (or nearby) to CDG (or nearby)
December 23 to January 6 (some flexibility)
Ideally not a 30+hour affair. 1 layover is fine
2 adult passengers, with 2 checked bags

If you're willing to leave on the 24th and come back on the 8th, there's a ton of $600-700 flights on Norweigan, United, and American. The Norwegian flights are non-stop but they charge for everything, so be aware.

Alternatively, if you're willing to go to London and then take a train to Paris, there are a number of options on your original schedule.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Anyone flown WOW airlines to get the cheap stopover in Reykjavik?

I am anticipating that their experience is similar to Spirit or Ryanair -- barebones, unpleasant, but inexpensive.

Anyone had an experience with them so bad that you would have rather paid double and flown a major carrier?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ugh, why is Kayak suggesting terrible fights on Frontier with 23 hours layovers just because they are cheap?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And now you know the algorithm of Hipmunk's "agony" filter

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smackfu posted:

Ugh, why is Kayak suggesting terrible fights on Frontier with 23 hours layovers just because they are cheap?

It hasn't been studied, but I continue to believe that, if there was an airline that guaranteed they'd punch you straight in the loving face the moment you got on board, there'd still be a disturbingly large segment of the population that would fly on them just to save $10 on airfare.

So, basically they're recommending those flights because there's a population of people who extremely cheap and/or masochistic that will book them.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

It hasn't been studied, but I continue to believe that, if there was an airline that guaranteed they'd punch you straight in the loving face the moment you got on board, there'd still be a disturbingly large segment of the population that would fly on them just to save $10 on airfare.

So, basically they're recommending those flights because there's a population of people who extremely cheap and/or masochistic that will book them.

Yeah, it seems like it's almost a backpacker / college summer trip tradition for people to buy the absolute cheapest travel plans they can, even if it means they end up spending more money in the long run because they each paid $30 for lunch during their 14 hour layover in Oslo.

There is some fine line where I'm still willing to do it, especially if the layover is long enough that I can go into town and do something else, but eh... I bought myself a ticket to Windhoek recently, 3/5ths the price of the more convenient flight, but with a 6-ish hour layover in Luanda each way and god drat I regretted it as soon as I bought it, but no 24-hr grace period. I'll have to tell myself it was worth saving $300/ea when I'm waiting for hours in a steamy, unclimatized 1950s colonial African airport (unless my prayers are answered and the new airport is actually operational on time, ha ha).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A layover is nice in a good city in the daytime. But yes hotel/meals usually costs more than the direct flight...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PT6A posted:

if they did it before take-off and it'd be powerful enough to knock me out i'd pay extra for that service

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting conflicting information off of American Airlines's website. I have tickets in economy, do I get to bring a carry on and a personal item or is it either or? Some places it says both, some places it says one or the other. Ideally my wife and I would like to be able to bring a couple of carry on sized suitcases, her purse, and a laptop bag for both of our computers. But if we can't do that without paying extra we'd probably just pack one big suitcase and check it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bring just one or no computers you nerds

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm getting conflicting information off of American Airlines's website. I have tickets in economy, do I get to bring a carry on and a personal item or is it either or? Some places it says both, some places it says one or the other. Ideally my wife and I would like to be able to bring a couple of carry on sized suitcases, her purse, and a laptop bag for both of our computers. But if we can't do that without paying extra we'd probably just pack one big suitcase and check it.

A carry on and a personal item are usually considered separate. Carry on = the thing you put overhead, personal item = the thing you put under the seat in front of you. For economy airlines like spirit sometimes they are the same thing, but AA is probably still a major carrier.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

peanut posted:

Bring just one or no computers you nerds

Both laptops fit in one bag, so there’s no difference. The thing is lines like Frontier at least count a purse as the one personal/carry-on. Which is ridiculous. You have to pay for a carry-on if you want to bring something other than a purse.

I would just ask AA, but when I emailed United with a question saying I needed clarification on something on their luggage policy page they took a month to give an answer that was nothing but a link to their luggage policy page.

Actually, I should probably just use the phone if the hold time isn’t a half hour.

E: hold time was five minutes. Turns out they have economy, premium economy, and basic economy. Basic economy doesn’t have a free carry on, plain economy and premium do. Economy is also called coach, and in the seating chart is marked as part of the main cabin. Main cabin is also its own class above premium economy.

Confused? Me too.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 24, 2017

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm funemployed in two days and its time to go on the Great Asian Backpacking Trip I've been wanting to do for years.

Wanting to do a single multicity ticket for this trip, but two RTs may be more practical in the end.

1st Leg: JAX (MCO also an option) to KTM. Any day between Nov 13th and 20th.
2nd Leg: KTM to BKK. Mid to late December
3rd Leg: BKK to JAX. Ridiculously flexible, I'd say late March to April.

Best I could get was $1648 on Google Flights.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm funemployed in two days and its time to go on the Great Asian Backpacking Trip I've been wanting to do for years.

Wanting to do a single multicity ticket for this trip, but two RTs may be more practical in the end.

Those prices sound pretty reasonable. You could also try a travel agent, if there are any of those around you that cater towards backpackers. We did that a couple years ago before going to South America for 4 months and it saved about $300 vs what I'd found myself (though the itinerary was a little more complicated).

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Saladman posted:

Those prices sound pretty reasonable. You could also try a travel agent, if there are any of those around you that cater towards backpackers. We did that a couple years ago before going to South America for 4 months and it saved about $300 vs what I'd found myself (though the itinerary was a little more complicated).

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. But these days, do they really have access to any tools for getting airfare that isn't just publicly available?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. But these days, do they really have access to any tools for getting airfare that isn't just publicly available?
In my experience, surprisingly, yes. And only in specific instances... like yours.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think you can technically do everything with the ITA matrix system, but it complicated and a mess, and I say that as a scientific engineer. I mean, the basic system is straightforward (https://matrix.itasoftware.com/) but there are all sorts of tips and tricks to using it when you get into fuel dumping and what-not.

I spent a long time trying to learn ITA matrix, but whenever I found tickets that were cheaper than what I found in Google Flights I wasn't actually able to -buy- them, which is where I think travel agents have an advantage. (ITA matrix only lets you search for tickets, not buy them, at least if you're not a travel agent.)

There might be more to it than my brief outsider's summary, but it's a bizarrely convoluted system.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Run the search is Matrix and then try alternatives to BKK like SIN, TYO, KUL etc. (you can put them all into one search as well but sometimes it can mess up the search)

Also - it is much cheaper if you do not fly direct to KTM which is poorly served compared to BKK and pushes you to a multi-city itinerary. Do a return to BKK, and then fly from BKK to KTM and back. I just did a random Google Flights search and got about $150 less than your price on my first try, though with some quite terrible flight times.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is less about finding airfare than it is traveling, but it’s a flying question and I don’t feel like it deserves its own thread.

I have a really hard time getting up in the morning, but I have a 6:40 flight because American Airlines is a dick and pushed my flight 1h 50m earlier (you can get a free change if it’s 2 or more). Workdays I tend to turn off my alarm and come right back to bed. I’m afraid I will sleep straight through my alarm. I’m even considering going back to my old night owl ways. Stay up all night, wake my wife up and leave around 3:30, sleep at the terminal, on the plane, on the shuttle, and on the train.

Is anyone else here like me? How do you deal with early flights?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Ask your wife to wake you up.

Move your alarm so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.

Set out a line of blow on your nightstand and rail it as soon as you wake up, get going real fast.

If it's a long international flight with significant TZ change then staying up sounds reasonable. If it's a domestic or short route, staying up sounds guaranteed to gently caress up your day unnecessarily.

I usually have trouble waking up, but the stress of missing a flight makes me get up like four times during the night before an early flight.

Edit: Also your terminal might not even be -open- at 3:30am. At least where I am, I don't think you can even get into the airport before 5am, and I'm at a big international airport.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 1, 2017

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is less about finding airfare than it is traveling, but it’s a flying question and I don’t feel like it deserves its own thread.

I have a really hard time getting up in the morning, but I have a 6:40 flight because American Airlines is a dick and pushed my flight 1h 50m earlier (you can get a free change if it’s 2 or more). Workdays I tend to turn off my alarm and come right back to bed. I’m afraid I will sleep straight through my alarm. I’m even considering going back to my old night owl ways. Stay up all night, wake my wife up and leave around 3:30, sleep at the terminal, on the plane, on the shuttle, and on the train.

Is anyone else here like me? How do you deal with early flights?

6 or 7 alarms from two or more devices, ideally with one placed away from me so I have to physically shut it off. Combine with further sleep on the plane (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT AT THE AIRPORT, only time I came close to missing a plane was when I slept at the airport) and possibly at the destination airport.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I already have my alarm in the next room and I still get up, turn it off, and get back in bed. I could try setting a shitload of alarms on my phone and my wife’s. If nothing else she’ll get pissed off enough at the noise to remember we’re going to the airport.

It’s DEN to LAX, so not a very long flight. I live a good hour and a half (maybe an hour fifteen since it won’t be busy at 4:45 AM) from the airport. It looks like the latest a TSA checkpoint opens is 4:30, the others are 3:30 and 24 hours.

My wife will have slept a lot more than me so I wouldn’t have to worry about sleeping through boarding.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd be on their asses for a later flight regardless of their policy, since that's some "I'm not touching you!" level bullshit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually looked, and I might double check, but their next one was at noon or something.

If I find something around 9 I might try to wrestle them into it by saying I have a circadian rhythm disorder (which I do).

E: everything else either has a long layover, is early too, or leaves so late we wouldn’t get there until 3-4.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 1, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please consider an airport hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

peanut posted:

Please consider an airport hotel.

This, with a wake-up call/knock on the door. Even if my flight is at 10am, I'll stay in an airport hotel the night before because driving through LA and then doing the whole airport parking thing is risky.

Edit: How bad is it to do a package deal through expedia? For my Hawaii vacations, I would typically rent through vrbo and purchase my flight and rental car through expedia. However, next year's trip will be to Guam, and the vrbo options are lousy, while Expedia offers some savings ($500+, I think) when combining hotel and flight. I don't mind the extra cost of a checked bag. Also, is there any way to add travel protection in case I have to cancel the trip? Expedia explicitly says that the hotel cost is not refundable. :(

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 12, 2017