Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Yeah, Eldar have some awesome psychic powers already. Conceal on dark reapers in ruins is fun. Having to choose between Empower and Enhance for S3 Banshees is gonna be tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't wait to see the rest of the new psychic powers. finally fielded a farseer for the first time this edition yesterday, and the resules were a+.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

So this is apparently the Sisters list that placed in the top 15 at the heat.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, Eldar have some awesome psychic powers already. Conceal on dark reapers in ruins is fun. Having to choose between Empower and Enhance for S3 Banshees is gonna be tough.

:whynotboth:

They count as separate powers, so choosing should be a lot easier.

I just finished assembling 2 Wraithlords, and that Iyanden trait is pushing me towards buying the new start collecting box ... :ohdear:

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

bonds0097 posted:

Happy about changes but enhance/drain is also pretty good on something like banshees. That's -2 to hit them in fight phase when stacked with acrobatics.

I think the big difference is that when the new one is used on the "buff" side it helps the elder do something they're bad at (wounding) rather than something they're already good at (hitting), and also that the buff is targeted 18" rather than a 3" bubble, which is fine for conceal but hopeless for enhance. Of course they might be changing the existing ones to work like that, which would make enhance a bit better.

The specifics of enervate are hella good in combination with new wraithlords though. Last game I played was agains sisters, and saint celestine personally carved through about half my army including two wraithlords. Debuffing her with enervate against new wraithlords means she'll need sixes to wound them, which is absurd, and cross applies to plenty of other melee nasties - you can basically combine a wraithlord and a spiritseer to completely no-sell them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

:whynotboth:

They count as separate powers, so choosing should be a lot easier.

I just finished assembling 2 Wraithlords, and that Iyanden trait is pushing me towards buying the new start collecting box ... :ohdear:

Warlocks can only manifest a single power. But hey, at only 35pts a pop, why not multiple supreme command detachments of warlocks? :p

One_Wing posted:

I think the big difference is that when the new one is used on the "buff" side it helps the elder do something they're bad at (wounding) rather than something they're already good at (hitting), and also that the buff is targeted 18" rather than a 3" bubble, which is fine for conceal but hopeless for enhance. Of course they might be changing the existing ones to work like that, which would make enhance a bit better.

The specifics of enervate are hella good in combination with new wraithlords though. Last game I played was agains sisters, and saint celestine personally carved through about half my army including two wraithlords. Debuffing her with enervate against new wraithlords means she'll need sixes to wound them, which is absurd, and cross applies to plenty of other melee nasties - you can basically combine a wraithlord and a spiritseer to completely no-sell them.

Ah, I totally missed that it wasn't a bubble. I'm excited. Just need some stuff to be cheaper and we could have a really great time.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 16, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Quote is not edit.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

This is in no way surprising but good to see the traditional ridiculously good Sisters player place highly.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Booley posted:

Unless the warhammer community post got the list wrong, the winning list came in at 2030 points. The only way to get it down below 2k would be for the stormraven to have twin heavy bolters instead of twin multimeltas.

I had it totaled at 1988pts.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I refuse to believe his name is real.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Given that the GW Community article is all 'Surprise, Guilliman was in all the lists!', maybe they'll actually up his point cost in Chapter Approved? Or is this more of a 'Buy more Guillimans if you want to compete!' situation? They all but call him an auto-include, so they're aware of the situation, and I'd hope they want to fix it. Everyone's bought their Boy in Blue by now, he can be nerfed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So the Warhammer Store in Bowie is having its anniversary sale on Saturday and I'm already planning on swinging over and buying a Primaris Captain. I'm also perfectly willing to pick up stuff for any spergs who are interested and are willing to pay for it. They have the dice, painting mat, brush holder, art book, and of course the Primaris Captain. All I ask is that you pay for whatever it is you want to buy and the cost of shipping.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's probably pronounced 'co-burn.' It's uncommon but I've met people called it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bonds0097 posted:

Given that the GW Community article is all 'Surprise, Guilliman was in all the lists!', maybe they'll actually up his point cost in Chapter Approved? Or is this more of a 'Buy more Guillimans if you want to compete!' situation? They all but call him an auto-include, so they're aware of the situation, and I'd hope they want to fix it. Everyone's bought their Boy in Blue by now, he can be nerfed.
Wonder what a good nerf for him would be.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh please, thats low tier english silly names.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
There's something kind of silly about being able to take tempestus transports without having to actually take any tempestus troops

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Wonder what a good nerf for him would be.

I wouldn't nerf him. I'm just run tournaments where Lord of Wars aren't used, because having one model cost 25% of your army is dumb and bad. Then again I remember the old days when having a special model for Apocalypse was awesome and interesting, instead of everyone and their mother bringing poo poo to a 1000 point game.

I guess I'm just salty and bitter.

Artum posted:

Oh please, thats low tier english silly names.

Oh yeah, other side of the pond.

Carry on Mr. Cockburn.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Tiger Millionaire posted:

There's something kind of silly about being able to take tempestus transports without having to actually take any tempestus troops

Chapter Approved should probably fix stuff like that. Have it so where you can take a number of transports equal to the number of units that could legally embark on them.

Maybe even non-character units. The loophole of "oops all company'platoon commanders" in tauroxes still works in the AM codex, and hell maybe even works better with doctrines and ogryn bodyguard.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 16, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Chapter Approved should probably fix stuff like that. Have it so where you can take a number of transports equal to the number of units that could legally embark on them.

Maybe even non-character units. The loophole of "oops all company'platoon commanders" in tauroxes still works in the AM codex, and hell maybe even works better with doctrines and ogryn bodyguard.

Razorbacks need a price hike given that they're 25 points cheaper than a predator for a difference of 1 wound on the body, and everyone keeps spamming them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I had it totaled at 1988pts.

What's your point breakdown on it? Both my battlescribe and some guy on reddit came up with 2030.

Captain w/bolt pistol, chainsword - 74
Tigirius - 130

6x Tactical w/ lascannon - 90x6 = 540
6x Razorback w/ 2x AC - 100x6 = 600

Stormraven w/ lascannon, multimelta, hurricane bolter - 326

Bobby G - 360

Fakeedit: did you forget the points for the two stormstrike missile launchers on the stormraven? They total to 42 points, which is exactly the difference between 2030 and 1988.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Razorbacks need a price hike given that they're 25 points cheaper than a predator for a difference of 1 wound on the body, and everyone keeps spamming them.

And taurox primes are cheaper than razorbacks with more guns at the cost of 1 toughness.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
the problem isn't the razorbacks themselves it's the insanely underpriced twin assault cannon

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Booley posted:

Fakeedit: did you forget the points for the two stormstrike missile launchers on the stormraven? They total to 42 points, which is exactly the difference between 2030 and 1988.
I did indeed. Wonder why its slightly over the mark.

chutche2 posted:

And taurox primes are cheaper than razorbacks with more guns at the cost of 1 toughness.

Phyresis posted:

the problem isn't the razorbacks themselves it's the insanely underpriced twin assault cannon
A Razorback with a twin lascannon costs the same amount as a 5 marines with 2 las cannons and is faster and significantly tougher, and yeah for whatever reason a twin assault cannon is significantly cheaper than 2 assault cannons, both the razorback and the gun needs a price hike since people are taking them as a cheap tank more than they're taking them as a transport.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

I did the math and the FW Tarantula with dual ACs is one of the most cost-effective units in the SM army. I'm surprised we haven't seen more people spam them in tournaments.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Perhaps the rumors of the Tactical Marine's demise was premature...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did the math and the FW Tarantula with dual ACs is one of the most cost-effective units in the SM army. I'm surprised we haven't seen more people spam them in tournaments.

I've been using them recently and they're pretty baller. Only have two AC turrets though and those turrets are often being put on razorbacks. At least I put tac marines in them instead of just using them as light tanks.

One downside is that in most deployment maps you won't be able to shoot with them top of turn 1 due to their range, unless facing an army with scout moves and such.

I'm aware that twin assault cannons are undercosted but it's all we've got outside of guilliman bullshit that has any real efficiency. Make marine infantry cheaper and we won't need them, the AP change made MEQ a lot more fragile and made light infantry tougher without changing the relative point values of them. Marines in cover are pretty good though, but it's hard to take ground on the table while staying in cover.

The marine bullshit in 7th was due to awful formations, the marines themselves if they didn't stack all those buffs were always pretty medicore. Get rid of the formations and change the dynamics of relative wound and armor rolls and marine infantry isn't doing so hot, but outside of the TAC vehicles bolter infantry is supposed to be where we get volume of fire from and those aren't worth their points. I'd rather have two guardsmen than one marine, but can field 3 guardsmen for less than 1 marine.

I am generally liking intercessors though. I had misgivings about them at first but if I have a few vehicles the intercessors rarely get shot by multiple damage weapons and so their extra wounds per model can really shine. They get wrecked by dedicated melee (Like the time some repentia rolled through and killed all my intercessors and hellblasters pretty quickly at 2 damage a pop) but 100 points for 5 of them feels a lot better than 100 points and some change for 8 tactical marines. Intercessors have replaced my footslogging tactical marines entirely, I only really field them anymore if they're going in a rhino or razorback. Even losing out on having special or heavy weapons doesn't make up for how much better intercessors are as a footslogging unit. I still prefer devastators or vehicles to hellblasters though, I only take hellblasters and inceptors if running a gimmick all-primaris list.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 16, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Opponent parks 25" away. Turret useless.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
tfw my six Land Raider Redeemer assault cannons are worth their weight in gold now

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Opponent parks 25" away. Turret useless.

24" bubble of area denial.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

24" bubble of area denial.

48"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Got a parcel from Victoria Lamb this afternoon.

Casting is a little rough with flash and all but her sculpts are amazing. She's also awesome as she threw in a set of the female torsos I forgot to order for my lady Gaunt's Ghosts troopers with a cheeky note. It also took 7 days to get from Australia to the Midwest, so goddamn, Auspost is great.

10/10 would recommend charming Aussie lady for spacemen and women parts.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Immanentized posted:

Got a parcel from Victoria Lamb this afternoon.

Casting is a little rough with flash and all but her sculpts are amazing. She's also awesome as she threw in a set of the female torsos I forgot to order for my lady Gaunt's Ghosts troopers with a cheeky note. It also took 7 days to get from Australia to the Midwest, so goddamn, Auspost is great.

10/10 would recommend charming Aussie lady for spacemen and women parts.

Hell yeah. I'm planning on seeing if she has good stuff for Valhallans when I work on my AM next year.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Seven days from Australia to the Midwest and I can't even loving get a package of models from Russia to New York City in less than a month and a half

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

I finally finished Magnus over the weekend. The dude was almost too big for my new (cheapo) light box! The wings too for-loving ever, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

May do some final touch-up on the armor plates when I get a pot of Stormhost Silver, but I'm p happy with him. I also really like the way they did the wing construction on the model, since I think I can get away with just not gluing or magnetizing the wings.

Hey man, this is really good poo poo. Nice work Chirurgeon.

goose willis posted:

Seven days from Australia to the Midwest and I can't even loving get a package of models from Russia to New York City in less than a month and a half

That's because you haven't smoothed things over your friendly local russian agent, comrade

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Newbie idiot painter question: is there an easy way to handle armor trim, or do I just have to get good at painting it?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Get good. There isn't really a shortcut besides sharing a base color.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Trim = get good. Edge highlighting can totally be cheated with colored pencils, though.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

goose willis posted:

Newbie idiot painter question: is there an easy way to handle armor trim, or do I just have to get good at painting it?

I've heard of people using sharpies. If you can find some with a super fine tip they might work :shrug:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

goose willis posted:

I use a Vallejo Bronze color, two washes of Agrax Earthshade, and drybrush Runefang Steel along the edges for depth.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Bombogenesis posted:

I've heard of people using sharpies. If you can find some with a super fine tip they might work :shrug:

You want Micron Ink Pens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

goose willis posted:

use the edge of the bristles and not the tip