Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I just had mine delayed. *shakes fist*

Eh, I'll live. My refurbed 5X is working fine for the moment.

I was "angry" when I first saw the email, because goddammit I ordered it 9/22. I want my bright shiny toy NOW.
Then I had a donut and got over it. My N6 will just have to keep chugging a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My 5X began endless boot-loop last night. It won't start at all. I started a chat with support last night but got disconnected, so I just went to bed. I think the tech was saying I'd get a replacement even though I'm out of warranty but it wasn't totally clear. I'm doing the support tango again now.

I did find out that my Fi SIM works in an old phone. I still have an old Nexus 4 and it works pretty well. It still says "Project Fi" for the carrier, and all regular phone/data things seem to still work. SMS texts are coming through with some extra, garbled characters on the end of each text, but I can live with that.

e: Looks like I'll be getting my second refurb 5X (and fourth overall :v:). I would have felt better getting a Pixel as a replacement, just because it seems like that model doesn't have as many problems, but I'm glad Google is doing the right thing and replacing devices for out-of-warranty people like me.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 13, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My 5x has been great, now I'm sure it'll die sometime before the new Motos show up on my doorstep.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Somehow, my replacement phone got sent to a previous address of mine. I have my service address set correctly, and I confirmed that address to the chat-support tech, but apparently those two things don't guarantee a correct shipping address. I may have missed some step where the old address was auto-populated into some form field, and I'll be able to swing by and pick the package up from the old address, but man it is definitely irritating.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Wonder how they determine who gets a replacement. Mine died three days after I preordered a Moto x4 because I knew it would eventually and they told me I was poo poo out of luck. Been using a sick flip phone from tracphone in the mean time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I do have one more bit of anecdotal information, but please take it with a grain of salt. Both times I was chatting with support techs, they mentioned the fact that I have the protection plan as part of the reason I would be getting a replacement. However, once I got through the conversation the second time and finally got an email, it said I would be getting a warranty replacement. A "warranty replacement" despite being several months out of warranty. And the email said nothing about the protection plan. I don't know if any of this is true, or if the techs were wrong, or what, but maybe this information will be helpful to someone.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Both of my replacements were given out of warranty with no replacement plan, offered as warranty replacements. No idea why, but they were offered without me asking specifically for them.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It wouldn't surprise me if they call it a "warranty" replacement because it would look bad to call it a "we really screwed up with this device please don't sue us" replacement.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

drizzle posted:

Wonder how they determine who gets a replacement. Mine died three days after I preordered a Moto x4 because I knew it would eventually and they told me I was poo poo out of luck. Been using a sick flip phone from tracphone in the mean time.
high five fellow Nexus To Flip Phone friend

at least my Pixel 2 will arrive in a week or so

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
If anyone is curious, my 5X got pushed the Oreo update last night and so far it is running pretty smooth.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

From skimming this thread, Fi should work mostly okay with an iPhone (though I may have to go into the settings and manually switch towers if I roam out of one network’s range) but I’d still have to get my hands on a working (lol) version of one of google’s ~chosen~ devices in order to activate a SIM card? That seems like the difficult part, unless I can find an irl friend who has bought in to this nerd poo poo.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Somehow, my replacement phone got sent to a previous address of mine. I have my service address set correctly, and I confirmed that address to the chat-support tech, but apparently those two things don't guarantee a correct shipping address. I may have missed some step where the old address was auto-populated into some form field, and I'll be able to swing by and pick the package up from the old address, but man it is definitely irritating.

It ships to Google Play billing address, not Fi service address, easy to miss that you hadn't updated it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Those of you who preordered the X4 and traded in your 5X, have your trade-ins been processed yet? I sent my 5X in a little over two weeks ago but I'm not sure if the trade-in status screen I'm seeing means they received my phone:

Step (2) Phone Not Assessed says the phone hasn't been received, but below that, under Condition when received it details the supposed condition of the phone when they received it. So which is it?

I know the 4X's haven't shipped yet, but I just got billed tonight for it so it must be going out soon. I'm mostly worried the 5X got lost in the mail, I'd like some stronger indication that it made its way to Google as expected.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I ordered my Moto X4 the morning of the 22nd of September, and it shipped this morning.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I ordered our Motos on the 29th, I think - got shipping emails yesterday.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Got mine today, pretty nice so far. If it's half as good as the old Moto x I'll be happy loved that phone

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my fourth nexus 5X has a rattle in it, the same rattle as my first and second ones. this rattle turned into a disconnected earpiece speaker after 1-2 weeks on those previous phones. what a terrible product

i think i'll wait until my busted phone gets back safely and open another ticket. my fourth "this phone is garbage lol" ticket. wow

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I just think LG has terrible quality control. I know a few people that love LG phones and only buy them, having never had a problem. I went through 2-3 Nexus 5's and 2-3 5x's and don't plan on buying another LG product again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my (LG) nexus 4 is still going strong, i used it while waiting for my replacement 5X. i would pay good money for a legit new battery for it, and i'd pay for an actively-patched ROM for it, even if it isn't 8.0 just give me the security patches and i'd be fine. i'm honestly considering going to apple for my next phone, even after Timb and Jony have made iphones so much worse over the past ~2 years or so

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I'm fairly certain I'll be going Google Fi when I upgrade my old LG G3 to a Pixel 2. Question though - If I'm currently on a family plan via Verizon (and not the owner of the plan), how easy/difficult would it be to transition my number off of Verizon and over to my own Fi account?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Rev posted:

I'm fairly certain I'll be going Google Fi when I upgrade my old LG G3 to a Pixel 2. Question though - If I'm currently on a family plan via Verizon (and not the owner of the plan), how easy/difficult would it be to transition my number off of Verizon and over to my own Fi account?

I feel like number transitioning has so many variables that are unknown that it's hard to comment on the feasibility of it. I know that's not a great answer, sorry, but I've just seen such randomness when it comes to people being able to port their numbers. For example, I couldn't port my old number with a 309 area code, but I've known a handful of people with the same area code who were able to do it, on various networks, so it's kind of a crapshoot.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The Rev posted:

When I went from a Verizon family plan to Fi, it took about two days to transfer because I'd been given the wrong password for the Verizon account and tried to do the transfer on a weekend when there was less support staff.

Should be smoother if you get all of the correct Verizon info in advance and do it on a weekday.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I got my Moto X4 today and it's pretty awesome. No complaints yet. I put my SIM card in the new phone and getting it registered on Fi was pretty much instant.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.

The Rev posted:

poeticoddity posted:

When I went from a Verizon family plan to Fi, it took about two days to transfer because I'd been given the wrong password for the Verizon account and tried to do the transfer on a weekend when there was less support staff.

Should be smoother if you get all of the correct Verizon info in advance and do it on a weekday.

I also transferred from a Verizon family plan but during a weekday and it happened in probably less than an hour. I wasn't keeping track. So yes, have your Verizon account info handy and it will probably be quick and easy.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We got our Motos today, mine set up in about 2 minutes. Wife's phone came with a bad sim card, so they're expediting a new one to her. She was super excited too.

Phone is pretty great, I loved the Moto X I had a couple of years ago and this is definitely carrying on in the same vein.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does it only work on Project Fi?

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero
So on Project Fi I just switched from nexus 5x to a new Moto X4, and only my contacts and calendar transferred over. I was expecting things like my installed apps to transfer over as well. Is there a way to do this?

Edit: When I activated the phone I chose the NFC transfer, which doesnt work properly so nothing transferred over. Fixed by factory resetting and chose to sync from my old phones drive backup.

GlobalHero06 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 22, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Only gripe about the Moto is it's freaking slippery and I already dropped it twice (luckily with no ill effects). Might actually invest in a case for this one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a Diztronic case for the Moto X4? I haven't been able to find one.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My Nexus 5X finally kicked the bucket a week ago and started bootlooping. :( Tried to sideload a rescue RTA, but the phone kept dying halfway through the process, and most of the time it won't even get to the "No command" recovery screen. Definitely not a battery issue; it was working fine (aside from the rare random restart) and then one day it just died while on a nearly full charge, and that was it.

I called Google; apparently they stopped doing RMAs on the 5X at the end of September. Sounds like I can still send it in for a free repair, though, since the phone is undamaged.

In the meantime, I hacked together a nano-to-micro SIM card adapter for Project Fi using an old credit card, and I was able to plug it into my old Nexus 5 with a cracked screen, just so I have something for calls, texts, and light gaming.

If I had money to burn on a new Fi-compatible phone, I'd consider the Moto X4, but for now I guess I'll just have to wait for the 5X to be fixed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

My Nexus 5X finally kicked the bucket a week ago and started bootlooping. :( Tried to sideload a rescue RTA, but the phone kept dying halfway through the process, and most of the time it won't even get to the "No command" recovery screen. Definitely not a battery issue; it was working fine (aside from the rare random restart) and then one day it just died while on a nearly full charge, and that was it.

I called Google; apparently they stopped doing RMAs on the 5X at the end of September. Sounds like I can still send it in for a free repair, though, since the phone is undamaged.

This can't be entirely accurate. I talked to Fi support on October 13 and got a refurb replacement for the same issue; see my previous posts in this thread for more info.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Also they told me to gently caress off instead of offering a repair so who knows

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This can't be entirely accurate. I talked to Fi support on October 13 and got a refurb replacement for the same issue; see my previous posts in this thread for more info.

Thanks, I just took a look.

So it's not exactly clear, but did you have a protection plan on your phone? When I called up, they told me they can't replace my phone, even if they wanted to, because my phone didn't have a protection plan and was out of warranty. They told me that because of how their system works, they can't even initiate an RMA because it won't let them; it stops them if the phone is out of warranty and has no protection plan. That's what the supervisor told me, anyway.

The supervisor ended up giving me a $20 credit on my Fi plan, which was nice, but I really would prefer having my faulty phone replaced! Maybe I should just try calling back again?

Also, thanks for the link to that class-action suit page. Didn't even know that was a thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I've had the protection plan since I bought the phone. I feel bad that they aren't still doing replacements for people who didn't buy their dumb insurance add-on; it's super unreasonable to use that as a justification for not owning up to a defective product.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, I've had the protection plan since I bought the phone. I feel bad that they aren't still doing replacements for people who didn't buy their dumb insurance add-on; it's super unreasonable to use that as a justification for not owning up to a defective product.

Is that protection plan added onto your normal Fi bill? Is there a way to stop paying it if you don't want to? I'm hoping to get it on the Pixel 2.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'll repeat my advice: what a tech says the system can't do means nothing. Often if you dig in and won't budge, suddenly they miraculously figure out how to do what you need them to do. Not always but their script is meant to get you to go away, not to help you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It seems pretty hit or miss whether you'll get a good or bad support tech. The final person I chatted with for my latest device replacement was nice and helpful, but over the course of the conversation their ability to type coherent English steadily deteriorated.
I didn't mind though, because we are living in the cyberpunk future and it's amusing to imagine some poor call center worker getting mind melded into internet

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Javid posted:

I'll repeat my advice: what a tech says the system can't do means nothing. Often if you dig in and won't budge, suddenly they miraculously figure out how to do what you need them to do. Not always but their script is meant to get you to go away, not to help you.

Having worked customer support for about 7 years, most of the time when a rep tells you they can't do something, they actually can't do it. If they CAN do it, they probably changed something on your account to make it possible.

The programs (which, by the way, are SUPER lovely..most dead air is them fighting with Citrix or whatever) literally can stop them from doing whatever you want them to do.

That being said, you're right. The scripts are usually there to get the problem fixed as quick as possible so they can hang up and move on to the next person who's probably already on the line waiting for them. A typical day for CS is rapid fire calls non-stop without a break a lot of the time.

If you get someone going off script and actually trying, they're a good one (even if they can't make it work the way you want).

I have a ton of respect for CS guys having been in their position...it really isn't fun. I don't recommend digging in on a CS rep because they're probably already really stressed. It's best to call back and get someone else at that point.

Also, if you get a rep who's REALLY a cock, they can gently caress your account over as they have access to a good majority of it. Those are the ones you want to stay away from.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Having worked customer support for about 7 years, most of the time when a rep tells you they can't do something, they actually can't do it. If they CAN do it, they probably changed something on your account to make it possible.

imo this is an extremely pedantic and cowardly way to try and defend lovely customer service personnel. if a rep doesn't know how to work a computer system in order to solve problems that should be solved, they are bad at their job, end of story. there is no need to try and put some kind of industry-insider fig leaf over this fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo this is an extremely pedantic and cowardly way to try and defend lovely customer service personnel. if a rep doesn't know how to work a computer system in order to solve problems that should be solved, they are bad at their job, end of story. there is no need to try and put some kind of industry-insider fig leaf over this fact

It is usually the customer that is lovely. I too have worked in a similar position and I'm here to tell you that "the system won't let me" really often means it is a matter of policy not to do something even if the rep knows how to work around the computer restriction. And sometimes "the system won't let me" means "gently caress you rear end in a top hat, you don't know how to speak to a service worker so I ain't doing poo poo to help you if I can get away with it on a QA review." I would bend over backwards and bend all sorts of company policies to help polite customers, which includes doing a fair amount of massaging the computer to work around company implemented restrictions. But if you are a dick to me, like telling me I'm bad at my job, I'll gladly follow the letter of policy and do the absolute minimum I possibly can to help you.