Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I also find the basic 3* Combat break abilities useful in CMs a lot, where you might not have/be able to slot in characters with 4* support access to cover your breaking needs. In particular, the 3* Power Break reduces ATK by 30%, compared to power breakdown's 40%. After 50% break resistance, that's just 15% vs. 20%, a mere 5% difference.

Armor break is often also useful on some fights where you're going to use Cloud USB or something and just need a random character to lower their defense more.

Also, honorable mention to Retaliate, a 2* ability that still sometimes remains useful, and Boost, a 1* ability that I used to help me beat Shadow Dragon in JP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've gotten a bit of use out of the 2* Wind Slash. It's super cheap way for anyone with Celerity access to hit physical wind, although I haven't used it in quite awhile with the variety of other options for such a purpose.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Also if you're going to do some of the renewal dungeons some of the older fights have specific abilities as medal requirements - i.e. "Use Dispel to remove protect" instead of "Remove protect".

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

like 80% of the skills i use these days are 5/6*

3* stuff that's (potentially) still useful:
stop
second copy of stop
esuna
haste
silencega
blindga
dispel

many of these have better versions, but sometimes your character only has 3* white/black and hey

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aerora Strike is another one, since there isn't a 4* wind spellblade for some reason, and the 5* one is AOE.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Fister Roboto posted:

In terms of relative damage increase, yes, imperils are more effective the more resistant the target is to that element. Applying an imperil to a target that has a 50% weakness increases the damage taken from 150% to 170%, which is a 13% increase in damage taken. If you apply it to a neutral target, it increases damage taken from 100% to 120%, which is obviously a 20% increase. Applying it to a target that is 50% resistant increases damage taken from 50% to 70%, which is a 40% increase.

This right here is real cool math. Zidane will probably remain my first LD now!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

This right here is real cool math. Zidane will probably remain my first LD now!

That's the thing, though- you get a larger % damage increase from imperils the more resistance the enemy has, but you still need to ask if it's worth using. You get a big increase by taking them from 50% resistant to 30% resistant, but that just improves your damage from laughably awful to merely pure crap. Generally you just want to play by the boss' "rules" and bring the element(s) they're already weak against. Really, the best case is probably to imperil a neutral target with no weaknesses for a little bit of extra damage and improved SB generation, but then you often have to seriously consider whether it's worth bringing the imperiler over, say, another Enelement option instead. Honestly, imperils have REALLY fallen off as the meta progresses. It's generally chain SBs or one or two Enelement characters with an Entrust Bot for best results.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Since he's mentioning Zidane I'm gonna make a guess and say he pulled his USB.

In which case yes Zidane is 100% worth Legend Diving, because he gets a lot of wind damage from his LD and will crap out damage with the chasers. Will only get even more awesome with time since Dash & Slash gets buffed to 4 hits later.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Aerora Strike is another one, since there isn't a 4* wind spellblade for some reason, and the 5* one is AOE.
I actually still haven't upgraded my 3* spellblades to 4* ones yet

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Since he's mentioning Zidane I'm gonna make a guess and say he pulled his USB.

In which case yes Zidane is 100% worth Legend Diving, because he gets a lot of wind damage from his LD and will crap out damage with the chasers. Will only get even more awesome with time since Dash & Slash gets buffed to 4 hits later.

Yep, and his BSB2 for EnWind, so it's probably a safe bet.

Schwartzcough posted:

That's the thing, though- you get a larger % damage increase from imperils the more resistance the enemy has, but you still need to ask if it's worth using. You get a big increase by taking them from 50% resistant to 30% resistant, but that just improves your damage from laughably awful to merely pure crap. Generally you just want to play by the boss' "rules" and bring the element(s) they're already weak against. Really, the best case is probably to imperil a neutral target with no weaknesses for a little bit of extra damage and improved SB generation, but then you often have to seriously consider whether it's worth bringing the imperiler over, say, another Enelement option instead. Honestly, imperils have REALLY fallen off as the meta progresses. It's generally chain SBs or one or two Enelement characters with an Entrust Bot for best results.

Good point. On element resistant it's probably better to hold off. I really want that Noctis LMR now so I can have a reliable non-ele dps/party support option.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
At last I have conquered Liquid Flame and have cleared all 8 magicites under 30 sceonds. Thanks to all in the goon Discord who helped me rethink my team composition.

Once I broke out of my paradigm that I had to use Edge and other water-focused SBs, it was like a whole new world opened up to me. I went looking for anyone who I had already legend dived that could double-cast strong water abilities. Shadow fit the bill. Squall fit the bill. And yes, Vivi. I had to do a bit of honing and shatter some abilities to get enough orbs. My R4 Bahamut was a necessary casualty in this project. You can see how many hones I had for this up above. R4 Raging Waters, R4 Engulfing Twinstrike, R3 Chain Waterga (and some time ago I had already honed my second copy of Chain Waterga to R2 for a different strat that ultimately went nowhere, oh well).

So, the important thing for this fight is to go wall-less. In fact, in most sub-30 magicites I imagine that the wall RW is unnecessary (but ymmv). The fight went like this

Turn 1: Shadow starts with Reflecting Pool. Vivi uses 30/30/Hastega RW. Relm BSBs. Ramza Shouts. Squall times his first Engulfing Twinstrike to hit just after Ramza's Shout goes up.
Turn 2: Shadow Reflecting Pools again if it didn't double the first time. Else, right into Raging Waters. Vivi nukes himself to trigger Trance. Relm throws up Shellga. Ramza Wraths. Squall is just spamming spellblades at this point and hoping that they double proc. Each use is doing about 2x7500 at this point.
Turn 3: Shadow is up with the Raging Waters spam, which is doing around 4x5700. Vivi goes into spamming Chain Waterga for 2x8000, with a 50% chance of doubling up. Relm uses Bismarck. Ramza Wraths.
Turn 4 and beyond: Shadow eventually has enough meter to use his USB. The main reason for this is to have the chaser, which tacks on about 2x6500 each turn. Not at all insignificant. Ramza gets enough meter to use History's Truth, which increases everyone's DPS and gives a critical instant cast for everyone. By this point it's a pure damage race, and if Ramza gets another turn he's just using Water Veil.

All of this is dependent though upon Liquid Flame not throwing out too much bullshit. If he decides to steal mirror images from Shadow, it's a reset. If Flame just randomly gibs someone before Ramza gets that USB up, it's a reset. If Flame randomly paralyzes someone, it's a reset. If the RNG is really bad and nobody doublecasts anything, it's a reset. But once it finally all came together, I was surprised at just how far under 30 the time was.

Now, my next goal is to go back to my Fenrir and Bismarck teams, and see if it's possible to replace Squall/Lightning with Vivi, because gently caress if Vivi doesn't deserve to be in ALL of my non-holy/dark magicite teams.

Also dive Vivi. You very likely won't regret it.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

About to get 50 orbs. Which banner likely gives a Medica?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

The man called M posted:

Either the current XV or the XV renewal in about two weeks are both going to have a decent shot at Iris' BSB, probably your best odds

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

The man called M posted:

https://discord.gg/t8bZgmt

Join us here and we can help you maximize your banner pulls.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

It's too bad you didn't get to 50 literally two or three days ago :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about smashing your 1-3* abilities and trading up the orbs is that you really won't get many orbs from them. Every Major you've ever gotten is like picking up 100 3* orbs.

You should really only worry about it when you're out of room - which is reasonable with all the 4* and 5* abilities we've gotten for free from events - rather than because there's any actual utility in giving them up.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Am I the only one is constantly running out of space for skills? I don't even have many duplicate copies. There's just a shitload of them and every event has a new one now.

There's a bunch of stuff (like 3-star summons) that I haven't used in probably 6+ months that I should probably just shatter but then I know there's going to be some weird edge case where they are really useful again and I'll be annoyed at wasting orbs to recraft them.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My general rule of thumb is that anything 3* and below is used infrequently enough that I can just get rid of it and recraft later if necessary. 3* orbs are cheap and easy enough to get.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My gil just keeps going up. Is there a sink somewhere I haven't been taking advantage of, or do you just not need it much?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I keep exactly one copy of literally every ability because I'm a crazy person.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Another pull on ff15 banner when it comes up, or type0, or woff, or FFT banner. Hrm mmm.

There won't be a WoFF banner, and that would be a bad choice to pull on anyway. Type-0 is the best choice between it and FFT; way more tightly curated and 2/3 of the characters are top-5 choices in their roles. Ace for magic DPS and Deuce for healing + buffing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK I give up. I have spent 150 mythril on this FF15 banner:

Noctis SSB (dupe)
Prompto SSB

Prompto BSB
Iris BSB (dupe)

Iris BSB (dupe)
Prompto SSB (dupe)

I've pulled (more than once) on just about every single banner that has had FF15 relics and for the life of me have not been able to get any LMRs for anyone. I'm saving up for literally anything else at this point.

Out of 12 relics, I have 5. I think now's a good time to throw in the towel.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 17, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

These renewals are insane! I think for those really old, stamnia heavy events, I'm just going to clear the mythril levels. The rewards otherwise don't seem worth it. The events closer to today's format I'll likely clear.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Aww the Chicken Knife isn't part of the V renewal banner. Well that's keeping my Mythril safe.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Uh apparently I didn't do any of the elites for a worthy foe?

Also drat these renewal dungeons are killing me, I never have stamina now, its all eaten by old events

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If you haven't already done a good portion of these events, is it even possible to clear them all before the events end?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

finally, a chance to do Gil Cave+++

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you haven't already done a good portion of these events, is it even possible to clear them all before the events end?

I'm gonna be doing some Mythril refreshes, doing one for me is enough to complete every classic dungeon of an event so 1 mythril has now become like 5 or 6.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have done four mythril refreshes...I am nowhere close to done. I am also at 195 stamina too so all of this loving hurts xD

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Oh the other hand, look at all these eggs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bruceski posted:

My gil just keeps going up. Is there a sink somewhere I haven't been taking advantage of, or do you just not need it much?

r4 and r5 hones for 5 and 6 star abilities are expensive, and the Reforging cost for 5 star weapons is considerable as well. That said, if you don't do r5 hones and don't have the pulling pattern (slash wallet) to get a lot of triplicates of 5 star relics, you won't have a huge need for gil.

EDIT: Magicite inheritance can get pricey as well but you have several months before that becomes an issue in global.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ugh, these old mastery conditions are killing me. I mean, inflict opponent with sap? Why the hell was that even a thing?

I miss the "hit opponent with full break and maybe an element I guess" conditions of new fights.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have done four mythril refreshes...I am nowhere close to done. I am also at 195 stamina too so all of this loving hurts xD

drat. How's your Mythril stash looking?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well, whatever else these events do they're filling out my recruit list and giving most of their level 1/2 breaks too.

Is there an emulator that does fast-forward (and plays nice with this game's calls to the server)? Now that I've started burning mythril to get through these things, the main throttle is just time autoattacking through everything even on max speed. 3-6 minutes a dungeon adds up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

HPanda posted:

Ugh, these old mastery conditions are killing me. I mean, inflict opponent with sap? Why the hell was that even a thing?

I miss the "hit opponent with full break and maybe an element I guess" conditions of new fights.

"Hit them with Magic Breakdown? You mean that ability I completely replaced with Full Break and so broke?"

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Aww the Chicken Knife isn't part of the V renewal banner. Well that's keeping my Mythril safe.

Yeah, relics released after the Gladio and Iris XV event aren't on the Renewal banners.

Just some notable items that won't make the cut if it helps some people make decisions:

XI - Shadow Lord's Awakening (Aphmau/Zeid event) - Aphmau USB, Ayame BSB
V - Four Hearts (Princess Faris event) - Bartz USB, Faris USB2, Exdeath USB
IV - Destined Confrontration (Edge/Rubicante event) - Edge USB, LMR
Tactics - Unyielding Sword Oath (Meliadoul event) - (Nothing really big)
VI - Searching for Friends (Gogo/Umaro event) - Shadow USB, Setzer USB, Umaro BSB

And obviously, the current Dissidia and XV banners.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Now I gotta decide if it's worth 60 stamina to get 3 Major Eggs and a Major Summon Orb and, most importantly, changing that COMPLETE to MASTER on the one dungeon I couldn't beat back in the day.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

"Hit them with Magic Breakdown? You mean that ability I completely replaced with Full Break and so broke?"
The Breakdowns still stack with Full Break because they're different IDs, and in fact are a larger decrease on their own in a particular stat (MAG/RES -50%, ATK/MND/DEF -40% compared to Full Break's ATK/MAG/DEF/RES -30%).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

pichupal posted:

Yeah, relics released after the Gladio and Iris XV event aren't on the Renewal banners.

Just some notable items that won't make the cut if it helps some people make decisions:

XI - Shadow Lord's Awakening (Aphmau/Zeid event) - Aphmau USB, Ayame BSB
V - Four Hearts (Princess Faris event) - Bartz USB, Faris USB2, Exdeath USB
IV - Destined Confrontration (Edge/Rubicante event) - Edge USB, LMR
Tactics - Unyielding Sword Oath (Meliadoul event) - (Nothing really big)
VI - Searching for Friends (Gogo/Umaro event) - Shadow USB, Setzer USB, Umaro BSB

And obviously, the current Dissidia and XV banners.

Oh drat I thought I would get through this without pulling, but I may pull on the XIII banner to get the shot at Lightning's USB and Raines' BSB I missed during the festival.

Any other big relics that are popping up again?

Edit: Better question would be which relics are probably worth pulling for. I know there's Cloud's USB and OK's BSB any other big ones?

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

drat. How's your Mythril stash looking?

Well, I saved up 50 mythril before these renewal dungeons hit, and then spent 100 more mythril. Only about 10~ or so came from the Classic/Elite dungeons (which are now finished)

I'm at 14 mythril again.

I have finished FF1 Renewal Event
Mostly Finished FF2 2nd event in the list
FF3 CoD event is 75% done
FF4 Ceodore event is mostly complete outside of Baigon/d220
FF5 Gogo event only has Twintania d220 to do

Everything else I haven't done.

I have some of the classic stuff from FF5 left to do. I still have most of the elites so far left to do.

I started playing around 1st Anniversary, and CoD FF3 event. I have been fairly? efficient with my stamina so far.

• Locked thread