Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

n8r posted:

James Toseland is a better example of someone who came from WSBK and did jack poo poo.

I got the impression, after speaking to a band-mate of Toseland's, that his true love was always music, and the injuries after his crash at Aragon were something he didn't want to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Toseland never really had the chops for GP and was there because of his passport.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Busted Leg and all, Rossi declared fit to race this weekend. I wonder if they are still going to give van der Mark a seat on a bike in the GP after promising it to him for over a week.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Motorland Aragon this weekend, your starting lineup is:

Vinales
Lorenzo
Rossi
Crutchlow
Marquez
Pedraos
Dovisioso

I dunno about that Rossi guy, he didn't place higher than 10th in any of the practice sessions and still pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets 3rd in qualifying. Lorenzo had to come through Q1 to get his spot. Secret technique to getting more seat/practice time on the bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rossi is conserving his pain reservoir because he knows by about lap twelve he'll be feeling it big time. My prediction for him is he'll attempt to get to the front ASAP then use his canny ways to airbrake his plummet through the field in the second half of the race and get a solid top ten. Bonus points if he holds back MM to give vinales a fighting chance. We might actually get to see those two fight for the first time maybe?

Lorenzo just needed to get his poo poo dialled in; I didn't watch FP4 but if he had a bad time there he probably won't do well in the race as tyre conservation hasn't been his strong suit this year.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Rossi is conserving his pain reservoir because he knows by about lap twelve he'll be feeling it big time. My prediction for him is he'll attempt to get to the front ASAP then use his canny ways to airbrake his plummet through the field in the second half of the race and get a solid top ten. Bonus points if he holds back MM to give vinales a fighting chance. We might actually get to see those two fight for the first time maybe?

Lorenzo just needed to get his poo poo dialled in; I didn't watch FP4 but if he had a bad time there he probably won't do well in the race as tyre conservation hasn't been his strong suit this year.

Marquez probably could have placed a lot better if he didn't crash in turn 12. From the replays he went in WAY too hot and was all out of shape before he chucked the bike.

One thing I've noticed is that Dovi only uses the "aero" fairing on the Ducati at certain tracks while Lorenzo always uses it. I wonder if that plays a role in some of the tyre conservation issues.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marquez crashed because he was at 110% riding a bike with a not-ideal setup. Part of his magic is being able to trade crash risk for speed to compensate for a crap setup like it's a video game.

Dovi's style is super stop-go so he only benefits from it on the really twisty tracks and reaps the rewards of less drag on the straights; george needs it more because he relies on having a good front tyre feel a lot more, and he's used to riding a bike with a few km/h less than the others so the top speed penalty doesn't mean poo poo to him.

Most of the tyre consumption this season has been the rear, not the front, and dovi is just really patient during the race and has worked to develop a really good connection with the throttle. In austria george said he'd switched to the most economical fuel map like a third of the way through the race whereas dovi stayed on full power the entire time and just managed it with his wrist. Lorenzo will get there, he just needs more miles to familiarise himself and learn to not get carried away when he creates a big gap in the first couple of laps. You can tell that when he sees +1 on his board he goes into yamaha hammer time mode and just annihilates his tyre.

If you look at the 'ideal lap' sector times they're all over the place compared to usual; loving mika kallio was fastest in sector four and gammy-leg grampa rossi had two reds which tells you that nobody really got their bike dialled in perfectly so it'll be another warmup scramble followed by a tyre crapshoot in the race.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Go watch the last 2 - 3 laps of Moto2, the kind of scrap we normally look for.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha gently caress, the Honda boys earned that one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's interesting seeing how the honda is the least setup-sensitive bike out there. Yamaha may as well write their season off as their bike just won't play ball with the michelins. Ducati seem to have the best package atm (never thought I'd say that) if they have the time to dial in their tyres correctly. On the weekends like the one just gone where there's limited setup time and wet weather carnage, honda always do well while ducati inevitably choose the wrong tyre and their bike jekyll/hydes itself back into an understeering piece of poo poo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Once again, understanding tires is the blackest art in MotoGP...

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Marquez can apparently still ride like a lunatic while his tires are shredding underneath him so I'm not sure if that says something about the bike or more about him as a rider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:siren::siren:NICK HARRIS IS RETIRING!!:siren::siren:

Praise the gods and heavens and all that is holy and pray for Dylan Grey to take over. I need more Dylan. You need more Dylan. The world needs Dylan. When they had technical difficulties a few races ago and Dylan had to commentate the action himself from the pitlane it was thirty seconds of absolute heart-warming loving magic cause that oval office is motogp superfan number one and he gets to talk poo poo about it for his job and he knows it and loves it. Praise Dylan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHGiABZ6ITI

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely blah blah indeed.

I'll miss the guy but yeah, Dylan would be awesome in that role.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Steve Day might be the guy tho which would be worse

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I actually don't mind either, they're certainly streets ahead of the Sky and ITV Formula 1 crews and less "it's super early in the morning and we're punchy" than the Speed F1 crew, they're knowledgeable and enthusiastic and it definitely shows. But yeah Dylan is a smart happy puppy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

I actually don't mind either, they're certainly streets ahead of the Sky and ITV Formula 1 crews and less "it's super early in the morning and we're punchy" than the Speed F1 crew, they're knowledgeable and enthusiastic and it definitely shows. But yeah Dylan is a smart happy puppy.

They're not as good as Ryder and Co from the golden era, but I never minded them. As they said, better than most other sports.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And Johnny Rea can take the rest of the year off. Clinches the "threepeat" during race 1 in France. WSBK and FIM heard to be contemplating just simply banning J. Rea outright or forcing him to ride the Honda again.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Race 2 to Davies. Eugene Laverty attempts to change next year's results by throwing his bike at Rea. Laverty's bike hit Rea in the foot damaging the right boot and rear brake lever.

If anyone follows world supersport, their champion from last year and current championship leader, Kenan Sofuoglu, had a massive highside during the super pole and wound up with a "triple hip fracture". This makes that series a lot tighter.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 1, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sofuoglu is down? Mein gott I might have to start watching WSS again. He's more dominant than jray.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Sofuoglu is down? Mein gott I might have to start watching WSS again. He's more dominant than jray.

It's a conspiracy, Both Kenan from WSS and Toprak from World Super Stock 1K were injured on the same weekend and flown back to Turkey.

In all seriousness though for Kenan, some folks are predicting "he'll be back for Jerez, no problem", while other folks are speculating at minimum it's season ending, if not career ending.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
MotoGP at the twin ring in Japan this weekend. It's been raining every session. Zarco is the only one that really got the yamaha moving, though he did it on one of 2 extra soft rear rain tires. Jonas Folger is hurt and the test rider they have to replace him is doing fairly well. Both Vinales and Rossi were languishing down near the 13th, 12th, and 11th spots for most of the free practices.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yamaha look to have paddled their way pretty far up poo poo creek. Based on what rossi says it isn't even practical for them to switch back to the 'old' bike T3 are running because too many other things besides the frame are different.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s supposed to be chilly and rainy all loving weekend, which is fine because I like fall weather but bad because I was going to head to Fuji for the WEC :mad: so yeah not going to be surprised if it rains or is mixed conditions in the race, OR if it’s dry and some riders struggle getting tires up to temperature.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Rossi 12th, and Vinales didn't even make it into QP2. Zarco takes pole!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

Just hope it’s still close after this race. Ideally, Marquez crashes out, dovi finishes late and Rossi and Viñales podium, but I’d settle for Marquez and Dovi still close.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's gonna be blazing sunshine and the tyres will do unpredictable poo poo and some random person will win in an unsatisfying non-battle.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Aw yiss.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I would love for Dovi to win a championship but let's be real, this will be like Pedrosa's 'chance' in 2012 that fizzled out at the end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marquez is just visibly a cut above everyone else; circumstance and inadequate machinery are the only things making this season look like a contest now that Yamaha's feet of clay have come home to roost in an extended metaphor.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's gonna be blazing sunshine and the tyres will do unpredictable poo poo and some random person will win in an unsatisfying non-battle.

Sadly no, it’s still grey and pissy with rain all the way from Fuji through Tokyo up the hills to Motegi. WEC race at Fuji is underway and very wet, and it’s still cold and rainy around my apartment in the Tokyo area.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'll happily eat my words as I fist pump at the screen

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Best end to a race since .... well, the last time. Absolute balls out screaming at the TV madness. Fantastic.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Redvenom posted:

Best end to a race since .... well, the last time. Absolute balls out screaming at the TV madness. Fantastic.

Fuckin same. Those last 6 laps were classic. Disappointed Zarco didn't finish top 5. Dovi earned the poo poo out of that win.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 16, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Dovi earned the poo poo out of that win.

He sure did. He's also gotten a pretty big psychological victory both for himself and for everyone else on the grid thinking marquez is untouchable.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Marc is also loving this poo poo. Every race where 1st has been contested he is glowing during the interviews.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lorenzo he is not.

Speaking of, had to laugh about his whining over Zarco overtaking him. Never change, George.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yeah that was a really good one. The bar I go to watch this stuff at had ~60+ bikers screaming and cheering at the screens.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Lorenzo he is not.

Speaking of, had to laugh about his whining over Zarco overtaking him. Never change, George.

Gorgeous George needs to buy his own MotoGP bike, a decent race track and compete by his lonesome. Anytime the racing gets close he just disappears backwards. And complains.

The race was amazing, c'mon Dovi you can win it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Kanye East posted:

Gorgeous George needs to buy his own MotoGP bike, a decent race track and compete by his lonesome. Anytime the racing gets close he just disappears backwards. And complains.

The race was amazing, c'mon Dovi you can win it!

He needs to get the hell out of Ducati ASAP.

• Locked thread