Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

THEY CUT THE EPISODE PREVIEWS TOO

You know, as much as I liked Kotetsu slowly just giving up on reading the English ep titles, it doesn't make all that much sense in show, where all the signs are in English and in a city that's nebulously American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Is it bad that I'm starting to base my entire life around Poptepipic even though I know nothing about it besides deformed characters + obscene hand gestures? I feel like this show is going to change my life, but I don't know how far I should go in my devotion. I fell for the Szechuan sauce thing and that was a huge bummer.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Poptepipic will change your life, friend.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

charms posted:

Is it bad that I'm starting to base my entire life around Poptepipic even though I know nothing about it besides deformed characters + obscene hand gestures? I feel like this show is going to change my life, but I don't know how far I should go in my devotion. I fell for the Szechuan sauce thing and that was a huge bummer.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

read its very funny

anytime popuko says "your motherfucking life" or pipimi kills someone i laugh irl

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Relin posted:

i will try the langoliers anime
I can only hope it is as good as the Uncle Scrooge story where the Beagle Boys steal a time-freezing machine, then one of them nearly dies running into a gum wrapper.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

macross guy new mecha show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40iTG4JRKAA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hopefully it’s less poo poo than Nobunaga the Fool.

That show couldn’t even do decent giant robot action, which is, like, the main thing you expect from the Macross guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mainly expect tone deaf episodes about abortion nowadays.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I mainly expect tone deaf episodes about abortion nowadays.

¿Que?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Maiden_Arjuna?wprov=sfti1https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Maiden_Arjuna?wprov=sfti1

Mostly a bunch of hippy crap but episode 9 is about the main character convincing her sister not to get an abortion because she can hear the baby in her womb already.

Almost nothing Shoji Kawamori has done since the 90's has been worth watching.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Space Flower posted:

How can you actually be this wrong. What inspired you to equate chars who are nothing alike beyond "short"

Everyone in Working! is like a 2 dimensional cardboard cutout with one character quirk that they constantly harp on. Being short and having a complex about it is is all she is.

dogsicle posted:

for someone who hates inami so much, you'd think the girl who is constantly beating her boss down physically would hit similar buttons

I don't think I got this far in. I stopped watching after about 4-5 episodes due to Inami.

I'm sure whoever you're talking about would bug me too. I didn't even mind Inami for the first episode or two, but holy poo poo do they beat her one character quirk into a bloody pulp quickly. I'm betting if you took all of her punching scenes from the 2 or 3 seasons it would add up to an entire episode or two.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i meant that the blend s girl you are equating to poplar is constantly beating down the cafe owner in blend s. so i don't see how she's that different from inami they she didn't immediately press the same button.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oyakopon is pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Working had some rough spots with how it introduced and developed some characters at the start, but all of them more or less were able to grow (not Poplar though, of course) to an extent that even if they still owned their gimmicks they had enough else going for them that it still worked. In the end it was a cute/charming story with a lot of good relationship/growth where it was warranted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dogsicle posted:

i meant that the blend s girl you are equating to poplar is constantly beating down the cafe owner in blend s. so i don't see how she's that different from inami they she didn't immediately press the same button.

Hoshikawa does that when he's being creepy. Inami does it because they turned a corner.

Hoshikawa also does it significantly less than Inami does and it isn't her one and only character trait that is brought up literally every time she's on screen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in this case it just seems like you quit before inami got to change, while blend s has been more appealing because the characters have a bit more going on initially.

e: and people are reacting strongly because they have an attachment to inami's development over multiple seasons

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tsundere's are like physical abuse only this time it's actual physical abuse

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

You know, as much as I liked Kotetsu slowly just giving up on reading the English ep titles, it doesn't make all that much sense in show, where all the signs are in English and in a city that's nebulously American.

but you lose out on knowing kotetsu is the member of tiger & bunny that googles his name

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

in this case it just seems like you quit before inami got to change, while blend s has been more appealing because the characters have a bit more going on initially.

e: and people are reacting strongly because they have an attachment to inami's development over multiple seasons
Pretty much every character had a pretty charming arc/development by the end. I guess maybe not the manager but she wasn't really a focal character in the way Inami, Yamada, Poplar, Satou, and Yachiyo were.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle posted:

blend s has been more appealing because the characters have a bit more going on initially.

Did you watch Blend S? This is not the case. It's about as simple and cliche as anime gets.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

charms posted:

I duuno, that seems like more of a Honey Come Chatka attitude.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

charms posted:

Rick and Morty is boring as hell.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Did you watch Blend S? This is not the case. It's about as simple and cliche as anime gets.

that's just my interpretation of what nitrous seems to be saying, by complaining about (initially) one-note characters in working but liking blend s. the college girl is the only one i could assign more than one trait to, and yeah all of them are typical archetypes.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 17, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait someone dislikes Inami? Really? She doesn't have an arc? Besides like the plot of the series you mean right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kater posted:

Wait someone dislikes Inami? Really? She doesn't have an arc? Besides like the plot of the series you mean right?

Nitrousoxide mentioned they'd only watched the first 4 episodes of Working so her arc had only probably just started.

I don't really remember the specifics of how Working started but it's fair I suppose to dislike Inami early on if you didn't like her gags or whatever though i'm pretty sure I liked her from the beginning. Inami's extremely good and cool and one of the more dynamic characters though so using her as the example for why Working's bad probably doesn't fly with most people who've watched the whole show.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've added MMO Junkie to my list. Good so far.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://files.catbox.moe/o3at9o.webm

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Konohana Kitan is extremely pretty.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I do like the little chibi-esque animations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Konohana Kitan is good. Urahara is good. Just Because is good. Kekkai Sensen is good.

It's a fantastic season and I've not even had the time to watch the new Sangatsu episode yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just watched the first episode of Inuyashiki and boy does it have some vicious angst against teens. Good first episode though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/kellyonelani/status/920443983666429953

But also: yahoo is still a thing?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah they're in the middle of being bought by Verizon though.

I wonder if companies in Japan were just ok with the sponsorship thing or if deals were made with those companies.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah they're in the middle of being bought by Verizon though.

I wonder if companies in Japan were just ok with the sponsorship thing or if deals were made with those companies.

Oh, those are their actual sponsors. They paid for that advertising. There was even a Pepsi commercial with one of the characters.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

a kitten posted:

But also: yahoo is still a thing?

They're still pretty big in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

• Locked thread