Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Social media interns are one of the best things about this league:

https://twitter.com/RealSaltLake/status/919692591234347008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man I'm pretty enthusiastic supporter of the women's game but that highlight reel was some of the worst soccer and officiating I've ever seen.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

whypick1 posted:

Social media interns are one of the best things about this league:

https://twitter.com/RealSaltLake/status/919692591234347008

That's loving great, but probably not an intern.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheMikeDonovan/status/919744486380511232

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FC Dallas

back into the void with ye

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

That's my Bennyball!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Try to wrap your mind around the 65 goal differential difference between Toronto and DC United

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://twitter.com/grantwahl/status/920119976488570881
lol what

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Never a dull moment. I was wondering what was going to come next.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

moving teams is poo poo but austin would be a very very good mls market if they built something downtownish there

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AdamJardy/status/920124463873699840
The story linked here has more context - they'd play in the University of Texas's football stadium initially while looking to build downtown.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Has my Google Fu gotten incredibly lovely or is it impossible to figure out how Anthony Precourt actually made his money? At this point I must assume he was born into it

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

haha well

quote:

Local sources on Monday told The Dispatch that Precourt is frustrated with the Crew’s declining revenues and poor attendance figures and is strongly considering a franchise move to Austin. Earlier this year, Major League Soccer registered “Austin FC” and “Austin Athletic” as trademarks of the league.

One source close to the team said a deal to host home games at the University of Texas is “all but done” for 2019. The source also said Precourt paid $68 million – above market value – for the team in 2013 because he entertained plans to move it. Another source said plans for a “pristine, waterfront development” in Austin is gaining impetus.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

camoseven posted:

Has my Google Fu gotten incredibly lovely or is it impossible to figure out how Anthony Precourt actually made his money? At this point I must assume he was born into it

He was. His dad is Jay Precourt, an oil and natural gas investor.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Reminder that Crew Stadium isn’t even twenty god damned years old and Precourt wants public funds in THIS climate to build a stadium. gently caress him. gently caress him especially for doing that to a team with history.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Columbus owner Anthony Precourt is set to announce in a press conference on Tuesday that he will move his team to Austin in 2019 if a downtown soccer stadium for the Crew cannot be finalized in the next year.

yikes

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha there’s like no place to put it that’s any closer to downtown than it already is.

If you want more people put it somewhere in Dublin closer to the soccer burbs where white people aren’t afraid to go.

E: for those unfamiliar, you can literally be downtown from the stadium in a car in 5 minutes on most days

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 17, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Aww, it's cute that he thinks he has leverage here?

(also why the hell does he think he'd do better in Austin, didn't they lose their USL team to Orlando five years ago and not improve the situation much at all since then?)

edit: ^^^^Also given this, lol what is he even asking for? The original teams are in a panoply of iffy situations compared to the post-Toronto expansion teams but Columbus would have been the last of them I expected to snap first, they've seemed solidly middling in their fortunes.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 17, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Aww, it's cute that he thinks he has leverage here?

(also why the hell does he think he'd do better in Austin, didn't they lose their USL team to Orlando five years ago and not improve the situation much at all since then?)

edit: ^^^^Also given this, lol what is he even asking for? The original teams are in a panoply of iffy situations compared to the post-Toronto expansion teams but Columbus would have been the last of them I expected to snap first, they've seemed solidly middling in their fortunes.

The stadium is admittedly in a really iffy part of town but it’s not dangerous to go to games either. Downtown, there’s really no place to put it and any place that might exist is going to be as far away as it is now in an equally lovely part of town.

The Biggest issue attendance wise probably is the location, but not in terms of distance from downtown.

Local people are saying they sent out a survey to fans so basically Precourt looked for a path people wouldn’t support so he could pin his douchery on the city and act like it’s not his fault.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The stadium is admittedly in a really iffy part of town but it’s not dangerous to go to games either. Downtown, there’s really no place to put it and any place that might exist is going to be as far away as it is now in an equally lovely part of town.

The Biggest issue attendance wise probably is the location, but not in terms of distance from downtown.

Thanks for the local context. That entire wave of stadiums located "basically anywhere near the cities we're based in that will take us" that were the initial SSS brain-wave before BMO Field has clearly backfired all over the place, but Columbus is nowhere near the worst off in that regard (see: Chicago, Dallas, arguably LAG) and I can't imagine how anyone will believe he isn't entirely to blame here whatever groundwork he laid.

I can't imagine this is the kind of publicity the league wanted right before the playoffs so I am curious how they'll spin matters in the morning and how this'll develop in the next few days. If he genuinely wants out of town I wonder if he wants to sell instead?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 17, 2017

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Reminder that Crew Stadium isn’t even twenty god damned years old and Precourt wants public funds in THIS climate to build a stadium. gently caress him. gently caress him especially for doing that to a team with history.

This is your league buddy

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Thanks for the local context. That entire wave of stadiums located "basically anywhere near the cities we're based in that will take us" that were the initial SSS brain-wave before BMO Field has clearly backfired all over the place, but Columbus is nowhere near the worst off in that regard (see: Chicago, Dallas, arguably LAG) and I can't imagine how anyone will believe he isn't entirely to blame here whatever groundwork he laid.

I can't imagine this is the kind of publicity the league wanted right before the playoffs so I am curious how they'll spin matters in the morning and how this'll develop in the next few days. If he genuinely wants out of town I wonder if he wants to sell instead?

The articles that are flying around on si.com and else where say a group of Columbus businessmen tried to buy the team from Precourt at either the full 100% or 50% ownership and he refused.

He is obviously deadset on moving the team.

I am loving crushed.

It makes so much sense now why the marketing for the team has been non-existent, and why any stadium upgrades have been non-existent. He has obviously wanted to move the team from the start of the 2016 season. What an absolute fucker.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Christ, a team for Dallas, Houston AND Austin? Just setting the stage for Texas to be the worst state in the union at soccer.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

insider posted:

The articles that are flying around on si.com and else where say a group of Columbus businessmen tried to buy the team from Precourt at either the full 100% or 50% ownership and he refused.

He is obviously deadset on moving the team.

I am loving crushed.

It makes so much sense now why the marketing for the team has been non-existent, and why any stadium upgrades have been non-existent. He has obviously wanted to move the team from the start of the 2016 season. What an absolute fucker.

Yeah as a guy from Seattle I understand the bullshit of an owner who is desperate to move at all costs.

Also I just realized this move explains why this was going on awhile back... http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-trademarks-possible-names-for-potential-austin-franchise/ebRZrUnOnfwMjpYYywBXZL/

At the time people were confused because the Aztex or whatever had an utterly terrible bid for expansion, but now it seems clear that it was a relocation not expansion moving the gears.

Can't wait to watch the AA play!

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 17, 2017

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
What does the MLS relocation process even look like? Do the other owners have to approve it or anything?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Y'all can't be aggressively defending the league's terrible structure and then also complain about the natural and unavoidable consequences of it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

wicka posted:

Y'all can't be aggressively defending the league's terrible structure and then also complain about the natural and unavoidable consequences of it.

Correct statement.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

2017 is a really good year for soccer

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

wicka posted:

Who’s defending this league post-Trinidad though

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If he really wanted a team in Austin that bad, why not get an expansion franchise? I don't think a team has ever relocated, but a few have re-branded before though. Does MLS even have a process for relocation?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

If he really wanted a team in Austin that bad, why not get an expansion franchise? I don't think a team has ever relocated, but a few have re-branded before though. Does MLS even have a process for relocation?

That option was more expensive than buying the Crew and moving it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Akileese posted:

I don't think a team has ever relocated

The current team in Houston was originally the San Jose Earthquakes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

But most importantly, what happens to the Trillium Cup

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’m so loving sad about this. I know I don’t ever really post in here but I’ve been a season ticket holder for the crew ever since I moved here and today sucks. This year sucks. Everything sucks forever

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Yeah as a guy from Seattle I understand the bullshit of an owner who is desperate to move at all costs.

Also I just realized this move explains why this was going on awhile back... http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-trademarks-possible-names-for-potential-austin-franchise/ebRZrUnOnfwMjpYYywBXZL/

At the time people were confused because the Aztex or whatever had an utterly terrible bid for expansion, but now it seems clear that it was a relocation not expansion moving the gears.

Can't wait to watch the AA play!

Had the same thought, this is really Clay Bennett-ish. God drat it, this is awful. But the only thing to say is, don't give in, don't give him a loving cent for a new stadium. If the league is dumb enough to let him move then he can watch his team wither on the vine.

Cities are finally getting wise to this scam but it'll take a couple more LA Chargers-style fiascos before owners start getting the hint that moving away from a team's history is an idiotic idea. Or maybe they never will and this whole thing will fall apart.

ShutteredIn posted:

He was. His dad is Jay Precourt, an oil and natural gas investor.

If nothing else, sports failsons are pushing me further toward full throated advocacy of extremely high estate taxes.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I've said we need to replace most of the original teams' owners with people that actually want to make an effort, but ideally not like this.

wicka posted:

:rolleyes: Yes, this literally never happens outside the US, and it certainly never happens in P/R leagues, especially not as an attempt to avoid relegation.

Professional sport is a business, and this is a natural consequence of that. All over the world (it is rarer in Europe but there is a world outside Europe), privately owned teams that can't financially keep up with their competition in their current location crash down the divisions, or fold (sometimes as a result of the first), or move in hopes finding a more amenable fan base. Some places have laws to stop the last option: I wonder how far something like that would get in the US with the current government? It would certainly find public support.

I also wonder if those local businessmen who tried to buy the team out think the city wants a phoenix team in the USL, or that they could properly market one to the city (Precourt seems not to have really tried), or that they would have any success seeking an expansion team? The counterargument to "relegation would kill teams" is "loyal support in lower divisions and, worst case scenario, phoenix clubs". Maybe the oldest soccer market in the current era could make that work?

Akileese posted:

I don't think a team has ever relocated, but a few have re-branded before though. Does MLS even have a process for relocation?

There wasn't a big process when AEG moved the original Earthquakes to Houston, but I don't really recall there being an extended blackmail scenario either, just "AEG's tried to make this work and put tons of money into it, the situation isn't sustainable with the current stadium deal, so the league's approved a relocation of the team." Garber is making similar noises this morning: it suggests that relocation approval will depend on whatever deal Precourt could find elsewhere.

Reading the articles, it's really mum what he's asking for in Columbus besides "a stadium in a location people actually want to go to" - is he after public money or approval for a land sale or flexible zoning or what? The new Aztex had a hell of a time finding a new stadium after their old one flooded, I don't know what reason he has to think he'd be more successful there.

In the prior case, the league kept the Quakes' brand and history and records in reserve until they brought a new team to SJ - I haven't seen anyone ask if they would do the same for Columbus if this happened.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The right-sizing of American sports, where every crowd is tiny and passionate and serves the public loving good

A glorious dream that's gonna take a bunch of leagues burning in hellfire to achieve

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The right-sizing of American sports, where every crowd is tiny and passionate and serves the public loving good

A glorious dream that's gonna take a bunch of leagues burning in hellfire to achieve

It'll probably take guillotines. As long as Snyder is first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've said we need to replace most of the original teams' owners with people that actually want to make an effort, but ideally not like this.

Reading the articles, it's really mum what he's asking for in Columbus besides "a stadium in a location people actually want to go to" - is he after public money or approval for a land sale or flexible zoning or what? The new Aztex had a hell of a time finding a new stadium after their old one flooded, I don't know what reason he has to think he'd be more successful there.

In the prior case, the league kept the Quakes' brand and history and records in reserve until they brought a new team to SJ - I haven't seen anyone ask if they would do the same for Columbus if this happened.

Another Ohio team getting the Browns treatment. Sure, why not.

So it sounds like Garber could, in theory, force Precourt to accept the offer to the keep-in-Columbus crowd. Which would be excellent. Then we can ripple that through the league, except DC and New England of course because misery quotas must be maintained

• Locked thread