Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

it's easier to get the Cross to level 3 and keep it to kill Dracula easily than to keep Holy Water until Death and then get the Cross for Dracula because then you'll never get it even to level 2

i always kept holy water until Frankenstein, then got the guaranteed Cross to level 3

i played that game a LOT when i was a kid

tbh I never care about either, I just whip them. Didn't even know about the holy water thing until a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

precision posted:

my grandparents bought me that literally the day my family was moving across the country from NJ to FL. when we got to FL, my stepdad's company put us in cheap temporary housing for an entire month during which time everything we owned (including my NES but not the game cartridge itself) was in storage. for an entire month i listened to jane's addiction and read dragonlance novels dreaming of the magical day i would FINALLY get to play the sequel to probably my favorite NES game ever

:smith:

When I was a kid I sold Simon's Quest because it scared the hell out of me and got Kirby's Dreamland in return. I beat Kirby in a day and was pissed.

Cut to last year, I cleaned out my trunk and found two copies of Simon's Quest in there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

tbh I never care about either, I just whip them. Didn't even know about the holy water thing until a few years ago.

i was able to consistently beat battletoads and i wouldn't even want to think about beating Death with whip only. i've beaten drac that way but never Death

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my castlevania 3 story is worse, because it's like the only "bad" thing i did as a teen, i knew my parents bought it for me and i could see it under the tree several weeks before xmas and so one night i snuck down there and slit the wrapping paper, carefully got the game out, and played it for a couple hours before putting it back. my parents noticed and flipped out and yelled at me but they still let me keep it because i think deep down they understood that it was kind of silly to buy something for someone and not let them use it until a certain day

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

that is THE RING: TERROR'S REALM, and it is probably the worst survival horror game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1noOrwMsc8

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
For some reason Witcher 3 is on sale for $20 and also Witcher 3 GOTY is on sale... for $20

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Grant loving owns in the japanese version oh my god

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

btw noticed this in the manual????

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

English manuals were just made up crap in that era iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well so were the Japanese ones. But conflicting made up crap

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man I wish the Invisibility Potion and Rosaries were just subweapons.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lets hang out posted:

Does eating a werewolf count as cannibalism?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends if they were a wolf when they died or not

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Depends if they were a wolf when they died or not

But some werewolves walk on two legs... like a man!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lets hang out posted:

A big plus!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, Iconoclasts is in steam's upcoming games list now. Maybe it will eventually be released!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Breaking news: FFT is still a kickass game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
L I T T L E M O N E Y

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Grant loving owns in the japanese version oh my god

Grant's cool except for the castlevania fighting game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Grant's cool except for the castlevania fighting game

The only cool thing about the Castlevania fighting game is the remixed music. Probably my favorite version of Bloody Tears.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone made a hack for mega man x5 that disables alia and makes items and upgrades less annoying, making mega man x5 officially a sort of ok mega man game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

The only cool thing about the Castlevania fighting game is the remixed music.

Hey now

It also included a variety of characters I didn't think they'd include. Like cornell.

Too bad all of the designs are trash though. Like, goddamn, wtf

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Breaking news: FFT is still a kickass game.

Yeah dude!

Plot question for a forty year-old game: Does Argath shoot Delita’s sister on purpose? If so, why?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah dude!

Plot question for a forty year-old game: Does Argath shoot Delita’s sister on purpose? If so, why?

Probably, and because he's a dick.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

L I T T L E M O N E Y

God drat that never fails to make me laugh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it’s a more interesting situation if it’s an accident. Making Delita’s motivation for his subsequent quest for power the result of a comedy of errors appeals to me more, so I’m going to imagine that’s what happens since I can’t remember the exact text surrounding the incident

They kidnapped the sister because they mistook her for a Beoulve after all, makes sense for one fuckup to lead to another

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I find it all the more interesting that they're revisiting FFT in FFXIV. Throws me for a gosh darned loop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish they'd make new games instead of adding bits to an MMO I'm never going to play.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish they'd make new games instead of adding bits to an MMO I'm never going to play.

This but with the Elder Scrolls.

Though if they pull the same bullshit they did with the pc Fallout 4 in TES I'm not sure I'd even buy it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This but with the Elder Scrolls.

Though if they pull the same bullshit they did with the pc Fallout 4 in TES I'm not sure I'd even buy it.

They definitely will

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

English manuals were just made up crap in that era iirc

i've always been told the astyanax manual is great.

e: it is!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 17, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I find it all the more interesting that they're revisiting FFT in FFXIV. Throws me for a gosh darned loop.

Wiegraf shows up and makes a you are not prepared joke. You see it's a reference on two levels, and perfectly in line with the biting wit of FF14.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sounds more like a WoW thing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a huge fan of Johnny Aces. That whole thread and saga had me in stitches and still does. I always appreciate seeing a reference to it somewhere! I think if I did develop video games myself then I would totally put references all over the place, even if it were things that only I would understand. I certainly do so in my writing!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I am a huge fan of Johnny Aces. That whole thread and saga had me in stitches and still does. I always appreciate seeing a reference to it somewhere! I think if I did develop video games myself then I would totally put references all over the place, even if it were things that only I would understand. I certainly do so in my writing!

VideoGames, would you like to team up and we can try to make video games together and then give up together before we even start :v:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

VideoGames, would you like to team up and we can try to make video games together and then give up together before we even start :v:

Yes! In fact here is our logo:

We had a good run at FirstVideo! Such wonderful games made as:
"A Call To Civilians (4x City Building SIM in Space)"
"The Six Chambers (Western RPG where you play a cowboy afraid of horses)"
and
"HatMachine (A game where you play one of two warring haberdashers eking out control of a trendy London street.)"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah i love johnny four orbs he's boss

VideoGames posted:

I think if I did develop video games myself then I would totally put references all over the place, even if it were things that only I would understand.

reference to ff9 gyshal liqueur

more ff9 poo poo

roald dahl

little nemo the dream master. and the matrix, because morpheus appears in both films :psyduck:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Oh hi Koji Fox, I like your work on FFXIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Yes! In fact here is our logo:

We had a good run at FirstVideo! Such wonderful games made as:
"A Call To Civilians (4x City Building SIM in Space)"
"The Six Chambers (Western RPG where you play a cowboy afraid of horses)"
and
"HatMachine (A game where you play one of two warring haberdashers eking out control of a trendy London street.)"

Surprisingly enough they're all just flappy bird clones

• Locked thread