Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

why hasn't twitter gone bankrupt already

Wall Street and Silicon Valley types don't realize adblock exists. It's the reason most of the poo poo on the internet continues to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Wall Street and Silicon Valley types don't realize adblock exists. It's the reason most of the poo poo on the internet continues to exist.

most people don't use adblock

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Twitter has been losing revenue as well as users
https://hotair.com/archives/2017/07/27/twitters-stock-drops-reporting-losing-money-losing-users-u-s/

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Adblock has stopped working for me. Go to a wikia and I get a loving video ad that loads first. YouTube ads now play. And streaming sites detect it.

Probably should get ublock but I suspect it won't do anything either.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Adblock has stopped working for me. Go to a wikia and I get a loving video ad that loads first. YouTube ads now play. And streaming sites detect it.

Nah, ublock origin blocks all that stuff.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Adblock was bought by an advertising network and they have a huge number of automatically "white-listed" "Friendly" ad-services, don't use adblock anymore.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ublock + noscript is the only way to fly

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

ublock stops all of that crap

i've been blocking ads for so long that i honestly never even knew that youtube had ads until i got a smartphone and tried the app

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:agreed:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

most people use twitter through the phone app

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

adblock plus blucks all of those

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I reinstalled adblock and restarted my browser and all of that is blocked again.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

most people don't use adblock

I refuse to believe that. I cannot believe that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Most people are barely literate. Donald Trump is our president.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

every time i see the end of a guardian article begging me for money because i use an ad blocker, or whenever i see a terrible thinkpiece which relies on ad money to remain a viable business model, my faith in the sacred mission of ublock origin grows stronger

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Oct 17, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's because Google paid adblock big cash to whitelist their ads.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Nah, ublock origin blocks all that stuff.

Yeah ublock was worked really well for me I almost never have issues

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uBlock has filters that don't get turned on by default that get rid of a bunch of other bad behavior, like ad blocking naggers and ad block blockers

Go into Options -> 3rd Party Filters to turn them on

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I saw someone suggest blocking every account that promotes a tweet on your timeline so you actively don't see ads and they have metrics. Plus you get some weird fuckin promoted tweets.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only good promoted tweet was the one that urged people to delete system32, which a few select idiots did

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

why in the #world would I #block #brands that are trying to #engage with my #demo ?? connecting me with useful #product i like to #consume ?? i would #neveradblock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the only good promoted tweet was the one that urged people to delete system32, which a few select idiots did

Every time.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

why in the #world would I #block #brands that are trying to #engage with my #demo ?? connecting me with useful #product i like to #consume ?? i would #neveradblock
As someone made entirely out of ads, I

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I got a promoted tweet that was something like "introduce yourself to the world of industrial plastics production" and let me tell you that is very far from my situation.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

uber_stoat posted:

I got a promoted tweet that was something like "introduce yourself to the world of industrial plastics production" and let me tell you that is very far from my situation.

it was a threat, they're going to melt you down and turn u into industrial plastics

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

uBlock has filters that don't get turned on by default that get rid of a bunch of other bad behavior, like ad blocking naggers and ad block blockers

Some (especially the "annoyances" lists) are really dodgy, poorly tested, will break sites at random. Even better: disabling third party trackers entirely breaks literally every site in existence. Trackable and sellable personal information just kind of percolates out of our every action that touches an internet-connected computer in some way: there is nothing special about tracking sites (and thus they can't be reliably singled out and blocked) except that they monetize it

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 12:28 on Oct 17, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I use tweetbot and it means I don't get ads and my feed is 100% chronological. Thank you and god bless.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

every time i see the end of a guardian article begging me for money because i use an ad blocker, or whenever i see a terrible thinkpiece which relies on ad money to remain a viable business model, my faith in the sacred mission of ublock origin grows stronger

lmao you've seen the end of a guardian article

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

wish i'd bothered to check this sooner

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lol I did that as a kid on windows 3.11 before we even had internet

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peanut President posted:

Twitch's internal estimate is that approximately one-third of their userbase is using adblock at every given moment. And that's a site entirely devoted to nerds watching other nerds play video games.

Admittedly, it's skewed by the rise of their mobile app, which can't have adblock running, but still.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

an actual dog posted:

twitter makes money selling advertising

not enough to turn a (GAAP) profit though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Duscat posted:

hmm, perhaps one of the reasons tesla only managed to build 260 of the 450,000 cars it has on preorder last quarter was that their employees have been too busy fighting the rahowa to tend to the production line

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

i block those as well

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

STOP. JUST FUCJIN STO

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3jgGmeyqMU&t=174s

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really want to live in the timeline where Final Fantasy Spirits Within was a huge hit and Square-Enix gave up video games to produce big budget incredibly anime CGI movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

not replying with the revolution era painting of marat dead in a tub, :sad: