Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Anne Whateley posted:

What I buy looks more or less like this: https://recipesorreservations.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/picnic-shoulder-details.jpg?w=630 (imgur doesn't let you upload from mobile anymore?)

The whole thing can be bigger or smaller, the arm part can be longer or shorter, but this general idea. It yields about two 7-cup tupperwares full of pulled pork.

e: and I definitely don't put anything in the crock pot with it. Seasonings and a little water for the bottom, but nothing with volume.

Yeah that's what I normally get, yours must be fairly small unless you're just cramming them in there! Not sure what butcher you're grabbing from in the secret neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not shy about cramming. It's all gonna be pulled pork anyway, so sometimes I cut off a bit and rearrange it. Also, the oval (not round) crock pot is crucial!

I think you can get them in pretty much any grocery store here, I'm not going to an actual butcher. Check out one of the big ones on Greenpoint sometime, or the big Key Food. On sale they should be under $1/lb, which is what got me trying them in the first place.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not shy about cramming. It's all gonna be pulled pork anyway, so sometimes I cut off a bit and rearrange it. Also, the oval (not round) crock pot is crucial!

I think you can get them in pretty much any grocery store here, I'm not going to an actual butcher. Check out one of the big ones on Greenpoint sometime, or the big Key Food. On sale they should be under $1/lb, which is what got me trying them in the first place.

Goddamn, I do get all my meat from a bourgeoisie butcher but it averages like 4-5 a pound.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What bourgeois butchers even are there here? Or do you schlep from Manhattan all the time?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vitamix owners: is this normal? When I go from high speed to low, the Vitamix drops almost to slower than low, and then comes up to low speed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beKceMIhJkE

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

What bourgeois butchers even are there here? Or do you schlep from Manhattan all the time?

I live in Cobble Hill, I just love butcher shops and always like hearing if there are particular ones to make a trek for.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ohhh gotcha. The only one I'm aware of anywhere in the area is Ottomanelli's in Woodside. The Food Bazaar on Northern Blvd is amazing, but it is a huge chain grocery store, just a really cool one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What was the big gently caress off deba like korean knife?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What was the big gently caress off deba like korean knife?
Are you thinking of rail steel/rail iron knives? They're not necessarily fuckoff huge but they're characteristically roughly deba-shaped.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Are you thinking of rail steel/rail iron knives? They're not necessarily fuckoff huge but they're characteristically roughly deba-shaped.

I think so. I want one to just mess around with on stones.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This one? I'm trying not to pull the trigger...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

This one? I'm trying not to pull the trigger...

yeah but I have a very hard time believing that a 24cm blade is only 250g

I suppose for the price it doesn't matter.

/e I know a goon bought one back in the day and posted impressions and am looking for that post.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 29, 2017

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Vitamix owners: is this normal? When I go from high speed to low, the Vitamix drops almost to slower than low, and then comes up to low speed

We have an older model (Super 5000), but ours doesn't do this.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
If you're in Queens or northern Brooklyn, the Food Bazaar on Northern Boulevard has a full-service, full-spectrum butcher at prices lower than anywhere non-distressing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does anyone have any experience with the Oxo temperature control kettles or no?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Update on the spice bottles I mentioned a couple pages back: I can't get most of them open to do anything with :downs: The ones with holes in the top for shaking out spices have the holes in some stupid little plastic stopper that gives me essentially no leverage or grabbing space to pull it out with. Probably just going to have to toss them.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Update on the spice bottles I mentioned a couple pages back: I can't get most of them open to do anything with :downs: The ones with holes in the top for shaking out spices have the holes in some stupid little plastic stopper that gives me essentially no leverage or grabbing space to pull it out with. Probably just going to have to toss them.

Maybe some bent wire coat hanger / paperclips could fit thru the holes and then let you pull the stoppers out? Seems a shame to toss those bottles, they look neat (I have problems re glassware and containers in general).

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I've been looking at getting a deli slicer. I make cheese and do some charcuterie (bacon, prosciutto, pastrami), so I want something to slice it uniformly. I've been looking at the Chef's Choice 615, but am open to suggestions. I'd like to keep it at or under $300, since I need to get a new blender as well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I can’t speak to anything specifically, but I’ve really enjoyed America’s Test Kitchen’s YouTune channel. Their reviews are great!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Having a hard time determining which pan I should get. I am replacing a sauté pan with teflon coating that's worn out. Only sure thing I know is gently caress coatings, I'm gonna be using metal spatulas and stuff in this new pan. So stainless or carbon steel? I got neither type before, all my pans aside from this one as cast iron.

I am curious to try out a stainless pan since a carbon steel one is probably a lot like a cast iron one, I also cook a lot of tomato sauces in the sauté pan, though I understand a cast iron or carbon steel pan with a good seasoning is fine for that.

Looking at ScanPan for stainless and De Buyer for carbon steel. Also I'm really torn on what type of pan, another sauté pan or should I go for a wok or country style pan, higher edges = less splatter when cooking I am thinking, and I could use it to deep fry stuff on occasion.

Some links but not in english.

Scanpan Sauté pan 99€:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/35446/gmrqm/Scanpan-Fusion-5-paistokasari-ruostumaton-teras-26-cm

Scanpan Wok pan 79€
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/40592/gmqjt/Scanpan-Impact-wok-paistinpannu-ruostumaton-teras-32-cm

De Buyer Country pan 68€:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/24157/hcthv/De-Buyer-Mineral-B-Element-paistinpannu-rustic-hiiliteras-28

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Didn't have patience to wait so I went with the sauté pan in stainless.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You made the right choice.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I am going to be getting new appliances soon for a house we're moving into. What brands should I stick with or avoid? I need a good dishfucker 9000, a 36" gas cook top, convection gas oven and maybe a microwave/vent combo if they make one big enough to go over my cook top. I was looking at Viking cook tops but I cant seem to find any gas oven inserts. Suggestions?

Edit: The female is an ex chef and cooks/bakes a lot.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

knowonecanknow posted:

I am going to be getting new appliances soon for a house we're moving into. What brands should I stick with or avoid? I need a good dishfucker 9000, a 36" gas cook top, convection gas oven and maybe a microwave/vent combo if they make one big enough to go over my cook top. I was looking at Viking cook tops but I cant seem to find any gas oven inserts. Suggestions?

Edit: The female is an ex chef and cooks/bakes a lot.

What’s your budget? That’s the fundamental thing to know before throwing out a question like that. Also, how long are you planning to be in the house? Are you expecting these to be your “forever” appliances (so they’ll last 20+ years) or do you plan on upgrading in the future? What kind of cooking/baking do you do most frequently?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Related to ranges, I recently bought one.

My whole life, everything has been knobs. Now they all have touchpads for the non-burner functions. Most of these touchpads suck. I tested one where the only way to change the oven temp was with a + and - button, holding them down like you're reprogramming a clock radio, and the drat thing started at like 125. Miserable.

On the budget end of gas ranges, definitely play around with the display models to see how tolerable the controls are. A lot of reviews seem to gloss over this. Probably less of an issue for serious equipment, but I couldn't afford more than $1100 or so.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

What’s your budget? That’s the fundamental thing to know before throwing out a question like that. Also, how long are you planning to be in the house? Are you expecting these to be your “forever” appliances (so they’ll last 20+ years) or do you plan on upgrading in the future? What kind of cooking/baking do you do most frequently?

We plan on being there a very long time and would like some nice stuff right out of the gate. She bakes a lot of bread and cooking is just your regular cooking stuff I guess. The stove is more of my request to have a big stove so I don crowed my pans when cooking. She's used to cooking on what ever. I'd say out budget will probably be 10k for a stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge and microwave and hood. Not sure if that is enough as I never shopped for appliances before so we could increase should we need too. The refrigerator has to be the double door type that can fit a full sheet tray if that matters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

knowonecanknow posted:

We plan on being there a very long time and would like some nice stuff right out of the gate. She bakes a lot of bread and cooking is just your regular cooking stuff I guess. The stove is more of my request to have a big stove so I don crowed my pans when cooking. She's used to cooking on what ever. I'd say out budget will probably be 10k for a stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge and microwave and hood. Not sure if that is enough as I never shopped for appliances before so we could increase should we need too. The refrigerator has to be the double door type that can fit a full sheet tray if that matters.

I'd buy a subscription to Consumer Reports and see what they have to say, they generally do some pretty good testing so it's well worth it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Viking still the poo poo?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I have a Bosch 800 36" cooktop and it's been fantastic for the 8 months I've used it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My cheap candy/deep fry thermometer I bought a while ago is no longer useful because the mercury has separated and I never have any idea what temperature my oil is at when I'm deep frying. I'm looking for a replacement but I'm not sure what to get. Do I just continue buying cheap deep fry thermometers my whole life, replacing them when they are no longer useful? Is there some fancier digital thing that would work for deep frying and candy making? I don't need to measure the temperature of anything except hot oil and very occasional candy, so I don't want something that's not useful for that.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Anybody know any crazy sales on Vitamix Certified Reconditioned?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

My cheap candy/deep fry thermometer I bought a while ago is no longer useful because the mercury has separated and I never have any idea what temperature my oil is at when I'm deep frying. I'm looking for a replacement but I'm not sure what to get. Do I just continue buying cheap deep fry thermometers my whole life, replacing them when they are no longer useful? Is there some fancier digital thing that would work for deep frying and candy making? I don't need to measure the temperature of anything except hot oil and very occasional candy, so I don't want something that's not useful for that.

Can you afford a Thermoworks?

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

I shared a standard program until the roommate moved out. Not normal for mine, assuming there aren't some kind of chunks or something we can't see in there.

Then again if it continues to operate, not a huge deal. They'll definitely warranty it if it becomes an issue.

Steve Yun posted:

Prices for refurb vitamixes are lower than ever on Amazon. Should I get a narrow jar version or a wide jar?

The only differences should be:

1) Narrow version can theoretically start with less material, but not by much.
2) Narrow version is goddamn tall, they made the move mostly so it would fit under kitchen shelves (I think). I could only open my cabinets if I took the lid off.

Only worry about getting the fat version if fitting it under your shelves could be an issue.

revwinnebago fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 18, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Where's the best place to put an oven thermometer? Right now I have it hanging in the back, off of the lightbulb fixture. There's not really a whole lot of other places to hang it. Where will it capture the most accurate temp? Right now it's showing that my oven is underheating by about 50 degrees, which would explain why a lot of stuff I cook takes longer than expected, but seems a bit too large of a discrepancy.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd buy a subscription to Consumer Reports and see what they have to say, they generally do some pretty good testing so it's well worth it.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Where's the best place to put an oven thermometer? Right now I have it hanging in the back, off of the lightbulb fixture. There's not really a whole lot of other places to hang it. Where will it capture the most accurate temp? Right now it's showing that my oven is underheating by about 50 degrees, which would explain why a lot of stuff I cook takes longer than expected, but seems a bit too large of a discrepancy.

Can you not put it on the rack where the food sits? That's going to be the best position I think.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr Executive posted:

I have a Bosch 800 36" cooktop and it's been fantastic for the 8 months I've used it.

Bosch is in a sweet spot right now as far as price vs quality is concerned. Higher quality than most of the stuff that comes from China and gets a badge slapped on it but because of exchange rates and what not you aren't paying a huge premium at the moment.

I've recently bought a Dishwasher and a instant hot water heater that were both Bosch, both tops according to consumer reports and I've been pretty happy with both.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any recommendations on a small-medium broiler/roasting pan. I've been using the porcelain coated one that came with my oven for years and years and it works fine but is ridiculously big for most things. Easy to clean, doesn't warp under the broiler, dishwasher safe is a plus but not a requirement. I use it 2x month, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Any recommendations on a small-medium broiler/roasting pan. I've been using the porcelain coated one that came with my oven for years and years and it works fine but is ridiculously big for most things. Easy to clean, doesn't warp under the broiler, dishwasher safe is a plus but not a requirement. I use it 2x month, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Restaurant supply quarter or half sheet pan? Or do you need deeper sides than that?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

revwinnebago posted:

Can you afford a Thermoworks?

I guess, although if cheaper things work just as good (like this one) I guess I'd prefer to get that. Anyone have expereince with these sorts of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Restaurant supply quarter or half sheet pan? Or do you need deeper sides than that?

I'm interested in this too. I'm looking for quarter/half sheet pans that won't warp and are dishwasher safe. I'd be willing to pay a little bit if something worked well, but the several different pans I've tried from Marshall's/Home Goods have been trash. I just want something that doesn't warp, can be easily cleaned, and doesn't drip old rust water out of the rolled edges when I pull it out of the drawer.

Will aluminum restaurant sheet pans get that white film/oxidation/whatever when run through a dishwasher? Obviously commercial kitchens use dishwashers, but I've heard the issue with aluminum comes from the type of dishwasher detergent used at home.

Mr Executive fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 18, 2017