Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also, will women who have been traded/moved teams in the off season be forced to move to the new expansion teams? Coz if so that kind of makes a mockery of the trade period.

Do the expansion teams get a say in who they want to be forcibly moved to them, or are they just going to have to accept whichever player the AFL decides they need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cmndstab posted:

So wait, have the AFL given any details about how the "you must give players to other AFLW clubs" thing will work other than saying it will be based on a rating system? Like, do the players need to agree to move? Do the recipient clubs need to accept what is offered or can they negotiate? Is there a quota which must be met in terms of giving away players (don't see how the non-Vic clubs are going to manage that)? Is there a trade period following it?

Some details would be nice.

Like everything with the AFL is will be announced last minute and lack details.

It'll probably just be the Vic clubs involved but maybe the AFL will pay for relocation of one player from each of the interstate teams for the duration of pre-season and season.

Carlton were already forced to give up Bianca Jakobbson to Melbourne during trade week for no other reason than equalization.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
We would have happily taken Tayla Harris instead if it makes you feel better

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Watts has nominated Port.

Port could be a pretty decent team next year.

E: Traded for pick 31.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Port gave the eagles ah chee for a 2018 3rd round upgrade. Bargain

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol we are literally tanking the trade period

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The AFL has has rejected a bid from transgender footballer Hannah Mouncey to take part in tomorrow's AFL Women's National Draft

A statement from the AFL reads, in part:
"In this circumstance, the AFL has made a decision that the physical disparity between Hannah and other AFLW players is significant, in that it would have an effect on the AFLW competition and give rise to an unreasonable advantage.

"The subcommittee’s decision took into account the stage of maturity of the AFLW competition, its current player cohort and Hannah’s individual circumstances.

"This decision solely relates to Hannah’s nomination for the 2018 AFLW draft and participation in the 2018 AFLW competition."

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Pick 31 for Watts is loving shite.

Also we still don't have a backup ruckman yet

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Big call.

She could compete in the next Olympics following the IOC guidelines, she could play women's ice hockey in Canada following their guidelines.

"The AFL were guided by the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. " well at least it wasn't just a coin toss from the AFL.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snaeksikn posted:

Pick 31 for Watts is loving shite.

Also we still don't have a backup ruckman yet

It's a poor tier pick. Grab Zac Clarke, he's not great but he's a serviceable back up imo

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Feel for Hannah. I guess I can see the AFL's point in that with such a young comp, the last thing they need is a controversy. But it still feels pretty drat discriminatory to disallow someone who would be allowed at Olympic level.

Port with some serious Moneyball trading this draft. Watts for 31, and Motlop and Rockliff for no draft picks. Considering they traded themselves out of the first round, they've brought in some serious experience there. All three are players who have played below their potential for a while, if Port can get the most out of them they'll be a serious force in 2018.

Mind you, the same could have been said for Impey, Ah Chee and Trengove.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 17, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Port brought in the missing link 3 times in recent years and it didn't go anywhere, I guess they decided doing it 3 times in one year might be different.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wait so the argument from the AFL is just that she's too big? We could have had that fuckwit Mumford deregistered years ago instead of having him kill smaller players

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm not sure what universe you live in to think that pick 31 is more useful to us over the next 5 year period than jack watts

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

hiddenmovement posted:

It's a poor tier pick. Grab Zac Clarke, he's not great but he's a serviceable back up imo

Zac has shown glimpses of being a solid AFL footballer, but I feel he's one of those guys stuck in the twilight zone between being too good for state footy, but not quite good enough for national footy.

As backup to Gawn I'm not sure I'd want a guy whose body is probably more unreliable.

Also it sounds like the AFL have said no to Hannah this year, but left the door open for future assessment.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not sure how I feel about the call on Hannah. On the one hand, rough on her. On the other hand I kind of agree that she has an unfair advantage due to having been born and gone through puberty as a male.

EDIT: But on the other hand we wouldn't care about her 'unfair advantage' if it only made her, like, 180 cm and 70 kg, for example.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Under the deal, the Bulldogs would give the Eagles pick 9, 25 and 30 in exchange for West Coast's pick 13 and a swap of future draft picks.

lmao :wtc:
How the gently caress is that better than pick 11 for Stringer and 26?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

lmao :wtc:
How the gently caress is that better than pick 11 for Stringer and 26?

9, 25 and 30 for 13 makes no sense at all. I'm assuming that 2018 picks are involved, but even that makes no sense.

Also, the Dogs are now in a position where they're going full fire-sale. They clearly need him gone and Dodoro is gonna end up winning. Again. There's no loving justice in this world.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Schlesische posted:

9, 25 and 30 for 13 makes no sense at all. I'm assuming that 2018 picks are involved, but even that makes no sense.

Also, the Dogs are now in a position where they're going full fire-sale. They clearly need him gone and Dodoro is gonna end up winning. Again. There's no loving justice in this world.

Dodoro is an rear end in a top hat prick man, but I'm kind of glad he's our rear end in a top hat prick man. This must be how Hawthorn fans felt for so long.

And yeah I read somewhere that it would include 2018 pick/s for the Dogs which they might be happy with given the supposed strength of the draft next year.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne's trade period still sucks. The whole Watts thing has been handle terribly.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Schlesische posted:

Bulldogs are wanting Eagles to trade their 2018 first rounder as well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Essendon is giving up the naming rights sponsorship of the Tullamarine training base, worth about half a mil a year so the members can vote on naming it something in the hope it will become an iconic name like Windy Hill in years to come. Danky's Drug Dungeon isn't one of the options unfortunately and I'm not overly impressed with the options there are available. 'The Hanger' is probably the least worst but it still seems a bit cheesy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I don't mind the Hangar.

We're probably end up calling ours The Tip or something.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

We're probably end up calling ours The Tip or something.

Officially it'll be something stupid like "the Nest" or something, but if SASAFL doesn't call it "the Dingley Tip" I'll be seriously disappointed

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Dogs have apparently said they aren't interested in Schache.

Given he's a past #2 pick and looked pretty good in his first year, there must be something pretty wrong to create so little interest in him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can't wait to see what other dumb poo poo Melbourne can pull in the remaining 2 days

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

66 for Balic is fine I guess, not like we would have used the pick anyway. Somewhat surprised that we wanted yet another inside mid though.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
What if Freo pick up Fyfe 2.0 with pick 66?!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFLW draft day today, you can watch online from 12
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/920415164691767296

gay picnic defence posted:

Essendon is giving up the naming rights sponsorship of the Tullamarine training base, worth about half a mil a year so the members can vote on naming it something in the hope it will become an iconic name like Windy Hill in years to come. Danky's Drug Dungeon isn't one of the options unfortunately and I'm not overly impressed with the options there are available. 'The Hanger' is probably the least worst but it still seems a bit cheesy.

Chemists Warehouse?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

AFLW draft day today, you can watch online from 12
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/920415164691767296

Chemists Warehouse?

N O I C E

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I love the AFLW and want to get excited about the draft, but it's kind of strange when I know that no other club can take the SA/NT girls and the Crows can pretty much only recruit from them. So it's just a case of reading out the names in order of preference.

I understand why it is that way, but it does make the draft a bit boring for the non-Victorian clubs.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I do care about the draft but I am relying completely on Tg Chrono to understand it

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Chemists Warehouse?

:discourse:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

66 for Balic is fine I guess, not like we would have used the pick anyway. Somewhat surprised that we wanted yet another inside mid though.

Rumour is that behavioural issues have been his biggest problem, hence pick 66 and the Dee's only giving him a 1 year contract.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Rumour is that behavioural issues have been his biggest problem, hence pick 66 and the Dee's only giving him a 1 year contract.

So we get rid of our best kick due to behavioural issues and bring in another generic mid with behavioural issues :toot:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Dogs have apparently said they aren't interested in Schache.

Given he's a past #2 pick and looked pretty good in his first year, there must be something pretty wrong to create so little interest in him.

We've offered Brisbane our second round pick but they've said it's not enough and we're not willing to pay more.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

We've offered Brisbane our second round pick but they've said it's not enough and we're not willing to pay more.

Brisbane have offered their second round pick to us for Cameron, and we've said it's not enough and they're not willing to pay more, so nothing happening I guess.

Jon Ralph was trying to float the idea that we'd demanded a straight swap for Dayne Zorko yesterday, because headlines generate clicks

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Top 8 draft picks

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/920474275139657728

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

We somehow convinced Gold Coast to give up pick 39 for 0 game delisting candidate Harrison Wigg, 54, and a 2018 4th rounder

Jess Allan is a big girl, jumps high too, she killed it at the championships.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

We somehow convinced Gold Coast to give up pick 39 for 0 game delisting candidate Harrison Wigg, 54, and a 2018 4th rounder

Jess Allan is a big girl, jumps high too, she killed it at the championships.

Too big imo, should ban her

• Locked thread