Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I thought Later was actually a pretty good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it can't be overlooked that Jemele Hill is also a woman in a male-dominated field and that makes the kind of dumbasses who get mad at her uncomfortable in the first place. Bomani Jones tweets equally controversial things as her all the time but as far as I can tell has never gotten in real trouble with the network.

She suggested boycotting a broadcast partner, it wasn't the social commentary that got her in trouble. In the latest instance, that is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cash Monet posted:

She suggested boycotting a broadcast partner, it wasn't the social commentary that got her in trouble. In the latest instance, that is.

lol come on

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cash Monet posted:

Except she didn't suggest boycotting them at all.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm saying I agree with it I'm just guessing that the reason had more to do with preserving the relationship with the NFL than getting "too political".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It was entirely out of trying to appease far-right extremist MAGA chuds, as if they can be reasoned with in good faith. They can't. Absolutely nothing will please them and it's time for media outlets, not just ESPN, to stop trying. Unless that's actually where their allegiances lie.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it can't be overlooked that Jemele Hill is also a woman in a male-dominated field and that makes the kind of dumbasses who get mad at her uncomfortable in the first place. Bomani Jones tweets equally controversial things as her all the time but as far as I can tell has never gotten in real trouble with the network.

sportsgenius86 posted:

That and They didn’t spend millions of dollars rebranding their flagship show around Bomani Jones.

For clarity, I don’t think that should matter, but it absolutely does.

For what it's worth, Jones left Highly Questionable a few months ago as he and Pablo Torres (I think?) are getting their own noon ET show, which may have already started.

And yes, Jones and Hill both tweet similar content so it's kinda mind blowing. It's not Jemele Hill was a different person before getting moved to the flagship SC show. She's always been outspoken and doesn't really mince words (I'm not saying this is a bad thing btw. She's almost always right). But you're dead on that Jones seems to get a free pass to do...whatever the gently caress he wants vs Jemele Hill. It's horse poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jones in his defense has a way of tweeting and talking that just leads you up to the point of making the obvious statement. And let's you walk through the threshold. And puts the on us on the reader to make the leap

Jemele is in your face and up front about it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

And a lot of the Jones stuff is in direct response to people saying obviously racist poo poo to him.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Bomani is also very upfront about the fact that he won't talk about certain things because he's not trying to get shitcanned over some bullshit

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Below is a diagram explaining how no one of Bomani Jones's tweets gets singled out as troubling to ESPN higher-ups

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Below is a diagram explaining how no one of Bomani Jones's tweets gets singled out as troubling to ESPN higher-ups

Haha

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-founder-asks-if-harvey-weinstein-should-1819516366

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus christ Barstool is 100% trash.

I don't care that Funny Take Guy is on it. He can go somewhere else. gently caress barstool.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/sam_ponder/status/920056799759339521

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Came here to post this. This is a great tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sam_ponder/status/920059970858647552

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 17, 2017

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Props to Sam Ponder for calling out the lovely behavior by Barstool. It'll be interesting to see how ESPN reacts (if they even do) given they're normally so against intracompany fighting

Adun fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

In fairness to Katz, she seems to think that he is Dave Portnoy.

Also ESPN seems to be aiming to anger every single demographic in the span of a couple months. I don't think the Barstool/ESPN relationship will last long. I have no idea why ESPN is going through this trouble for a midnight show on ESPN2.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao this is phenomenal by Sam Ponder

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

In fairness to Katz, she seems to think that he is Dave Portnoy.

Also ESPN seems to be aiming to anger every single demographic in the span of a couple months. I don't think the Barstool/ESPN relationship will last long. I have no idea why ESPN is going through this trouble for a midnight show on ESPN2.

they want to appeal to twentysomethings badly like any company would

https://twitter.com/sagesteele/status/920099974997610497

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/sagesteele/status/920099974997610497

Oh for goodness' sake. The existence of sexism doesn't mean you get to ignore basic journalistic ethics.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

If this was some show going on at 3pm on ESPN, I could understand. But it's a midnight show on ESPN2. It's really small time. Just doesn't seem worth the headache to me. You've got a bunch of sites like Deadspin that will point out you're working with Barstool every time one of their dipshits makes a joke about gassing Jews on Twitter. All so you can jump from 200k to 300k viewers in a crappy timeslot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Niwrad posted:

If this was some show going on at 3pm on ESPN, I could understand. But it's a midnight show on ESPN2. It's really small time. Just doesn't seem worth the headache to me. You've got a bunch of sites like Deadspin that will point out you're working with Barstool every time one of their dipshits makes a joke about gassing Jews on Twitter. All so you can jump from 200k to 300k viewers in a crappy timeslot.

And then when the show is canceled, its idiot fan base is now energized to be horrible to ESPN.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/919687355459497984

why did I even check

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Masochism.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

his point would be better if he said he should sue the human race because we collectively agreed that he's a disgusting piece of poo poo.

BWV fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 17, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

That isn't how collusion works, because none of them wanted him anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Was there ever a moment where he was good?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Wheres that guy who used to always show up to insist his radio show used to be good

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iospace posted:

no, because I remember when Big Sexy wrote for The Kansas City Star and thought it was funny to call the Chiefs QB at that time "Trint Green" because he threw too many interceptions

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jackie D posted:

Wheres that guy who used to always show up to insist his radio show used to be good

Hopefully finally overcame his battered wife syndrome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

iospace posted:

He was alright for the 49ers for about a year

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

When he had his barber on his podcast to talk poo poo on Tebow for an hour. That was more of his barber being good than him, but he facilitated it at least.

Jackie D posted:

You might be talking about me or you might be talking about D Link. We both gave up on Whitlock a couple of years ago, although in our defense I'll note he was not always like this. He used to be able to just have a dumb conversation about sports that could be entertaining without being all...whatever the gently caress hot takes all the time idiocy he seems determined to be now. As in he was always wrong but not always this batshit loving insane and it was possible to just enjoy the dumbassery without recoiling in horror.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/sam_ponder/status/920240943667863553

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I get why they'd want to work with the PMT guys but I can't believe they agreed to put Barstool in the name of the show given how toxic and lovely the brand as a whole is. Like, they need the platform a lot more than you need a few thousand more viewers for a time slot in the middle of the night advertisers don't care about anyway, you shouldn't have to give in on that (or if you do just walk away since it's not like ratings for anything except live events really matter that much)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

ESPN should've just signed PFT. Let him be an on air personality and show up during game day or pre game shows. Give him a podcast with Stugotz and you basically got the same thing. Sure they'll lose the listener base he already developed at barstool but it saves PFT and ESPN the shame of being associated with such a gross organization.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Grittybeard posted:

When he had his barber on his podcast to talk poo poo on Tebow for an hour. That was more of his barber being good than him, but he facilitated it at least.

You might be talking about me or you might be talking about D Link. We both gave up on Whitlock a couple of years ago, although in our defense I'll note he was not always like this. He used to be able to just have a dumb conversation about sports that could be entertaining without being all...whatever the gently caress hot takes all the time idiocy he seems determined to be now. As in he was always wrong but not always this batshit loving insane and it was possible to just enjoy the dumbassery without recoiling in horror.

It was definitely you and not D Link

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The super crazy Whitlock defender was ribsauce

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

The super crazy Whitlock defender was ribsauce

Well it wasn't D-link. I got that part right. Sorry for slandering you Grittybeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh was it? I apologize to D Link in turn then.