Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

For more information, please refer to the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cythereal posted:

Incidentally, that tells you something about how your cats see you. Burying their poop is a sign of submission. Not burying it means the cat thinks they're dominant over you. It's one of the ways cats express dominance over each other.

Wait, really? Is that instinctual, or socially learned? Is it a bad sign somehow? I thought he liked me :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, really? Is that instinctual, or socially learned? Is it a bad sign somehow? I thought he liked me :(

He's a cat.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I know for a fact my cat likes my girlfriend better than me, he always scratches and bites my hand and not hers

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Man after raising and reconditioning a pair of formerly feral kittens by hand it's hard to give them away. 4 cats is too much for my household though...

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Cythereal posted:

Incidentally, that tells you something about how your cats see you. Burying their poop is a sign of submission. Not burying it means the cat thinks they're dominant over you. It's one of the ways cats express dominance over each other.

So thaaaaat's what's going on with Freyja. I swear that cat just refuses to bury her poo poo

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Just cause he thinks he's the top cat doesn't mean he doesn't like you. Also he could just be really bad at burying crap like my dumb idiots who paw at the walls of the litterbox and then wander out.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zxqv8 posted:

So thaaaaat's what's going on with Freyja. I swear that cat just refuses to bury her poo poo

My old cats are getting this way but that's just due to their age. Buffy (18) just walks into the tray, drops a log and walks out. Oliver (17) still tries to bury most of his, most of the time.

A friend sent me this and since I'm posting, I'll share. Those eyes look nipped up but what a perky little moggy.

https://i.imgur.com/LABtukm.mp4

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My cat Henry escaped from the apartment and I am mounting a search effort, advised by the spca. I would really like any insights anyone cares to share about cat behavior so I can figure out where to search and place humane traps and wildlife cameras. They say cats usually stay close but the last time I saw Henry he was 2 doors down from my apartment, hiding under a car until this short middle aged drunken poo poo head that lives in a nearby shed scared the gently caress out of him by clumsily jumping over a fence right next to Henry after I explicitly told that dickhead where the cat was and that he needed to move away because he was gonna scare the cat away.

Henry disappeared into the bushes near the yard this guy's shed was in and he wouldn't let me come into the yard to search because he didn't want me to wake up the elderly man who lived in the house, who was 96 years (as he told me 6 or 7 times).

I am worried that this worthless loving dumb poo poo drunk may have scared Henry sufficiently that he has actually left the block entirely and is no where nearby my house anymore. Maybe he thinks he was chased off by me and the drunken gently caress head and now he won't even come back to look for food? What do you all think

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dog Jones posted:

My cat Henry escaped from the apartment and I am mounting a search effort, advised by the spca. I would really like any insights anyone cares to share about cat behavior so I can figure out where to search and place humane traps and wildlife cameras. They say cats usually stay close but the last time I saw Henry he was 2 doors down from my apartment, hiding under a car until this short middle aged drunken poo poo head that lives in a nearby shed scared the gently caress out of him by clumsily jumping over a fence right next to Henry after I explicitly told that dickhead where the cat was and that he needed to move away because he was gonna scare the cat away.

Henry disappeared into the bushes near the yard this guy's shed was in and he wouldn't let me come into the yard to search because he didn't want me to wake up the elderly man who lived in the house, who was 96 years (as he told me 6 or 7 times).

I am worried that this worthless loving dumb poo poo drunk may have scared Henry sufficiently that he has actually left the block entirely and is no where nearby my house anymore. Maybe he thinks he was chased off by me and the drunken gently caress head and now he won't even come back to look for food? What do you all think

Your cat is likely terrified and is holed up under a bush, or a porch, or another car, or some other cubby hole somewhere nearby. He's not going to roam because he doesn't know where he is in a world full of enemies.

He does know where safety and pets and food is, though. Give him a little time and he'll come back when he gets sufficiently hungry. Put some of his favorite food near the door and keep an eye out.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

Your cat is likely terrified and is holed up under a bush, or a porch, or another car, or some other cubby hole somewhere nearby. He's not going to roam because he doesn't know where he is in a world full of enemies.

He does know where safety and pets and food is, though. Give him a little time and he'll come back when he gets sufficiently hungry. Put some of his favorite food near the door and keep an eye out.

Yeah we got traps with his food in them set up in our backyard and in other peoples yards in the neighborhood. Plus I got a bunch of wildlife cameras and we bait them with his food in other places to try and catch a glimpse of where he might be. Its been 4 days now : (

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Putting the litter box outside can help as well along with his bed if you can keep it dry. His own smells will travel a long way.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Boogalo posted:

Putting the litter box outside can help as well along with his bed if you can keep it dry. His own smells will travel a long way.

Ya we got the litter box out on the porch. We'll put other smelly objects of his out as well. Do you guys really think Henry didn't get 'chased' away and displaced? Im worried he will start to wander

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Best of luck to you. Hoping to see a "We got em" post soon..

Makes me happy I live on the 7th story in a closed down apartment complex. The worst I have to worry about is chasing my cats down the hallway (which only happened once fortunately). That and never being able to use my balcony because I don't want my cats to try and get cute and fall off :(

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Momo is a good boy who buries his poops but insists on only peeing in the hard-to-scoop corners of his box and it saddens me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometimes though it's absolutely because a cat is a sloppy goon.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

actually, come to think of it- would getting a larger litter box stop momo from peeing in the corners, do you think? I think maybe it's because he's a big boy.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well one of my cats doesn't know how to drink and we tried both a larger bowl and a cat fountain and he still never figured it out. He just kept scraping his tongue on the edge of the bowl and got barely any water.

Now he's figured it out a little. He dips his paw in the water and cleans it off :eng99:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My cat always gets into the litter box but half the time he's too dumb to pull his arse in so he just poos over the side

Edit: it's a big litter box too. He just gets halfway in and then paws futilely at the litter while his turds lie there accusingly on the mat.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sociopastry posted:

actually, come to think of it- would getting a larger litter box stop momo from peeing in the corners, do you think? I think maybe it's because he's a big boy.

Ours is a big plastic storage bin and that doesn't stop our foster cat at all from pawing at the litter then backing into a corner before peeing / pooping on the walls. Just watched him do it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Well one of my cats doesn't know how to drink and we tried both a larger bowl and a cat fountain and he still never figured it out. He just kept scraping his tongue on the edge of the bowl and got barely any water.

Now he's figured it out a little. He dips his paw in the water and cleans it off :eng99:

I've seen cats do that. Mine likes to drink from the opposite end of the bowl, probably because he likes the sensation of water on his chin. Also I've realised I'm child-proofing the flat because cats are like inquisitive 2yo's.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Our younger cat (BB) had a hard time figuring it out, but I decided to be the big cat and show her how it was done. She's figured out how to drink from it based on my example, but she is an extremely thrifty cat and never lets us see her drink from it.

Our former cat (Cocoa) had zero problems navigating the fountain, though. Not only was she a huge water hog (which led to her being a kitty cement mixer - in the span of a day or two she could turn the back of the litterbox into a wall), she also stuck her mouth in the spout kind of like how the people of Pawnee drink from fountains in Parks and Recreation.

We'll see how our new cat (Angel) will manage. She hasn't been exposed to the fountain yet because it's in BB's territory and right now, anything associated with BB = HATE. Literally - if we go up to see BB (we've sectioned them off into different parts of the house), Angel will simultaneously rub up against us and hiss because she can smell BB.

That's to be expected with a new cat that you've had for less than a day, though. BB is definitely a cat's cat and wants to do nothing more than meet Angel and play with her. Angel wants nothing more than death (I'm exaggerating) for BB right now. We're going to introduce them to each other verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly...

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj6x-J_VkpM

The foster kitten has gone on to his new pet teenagers, but if my apartment were bigger, I'd have kept him. The boys never let him up to the big-cat perch, though.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
A second cat who doesn't know how to do cat things should learn how to do those cat things pretty quickly by watching the other cat.

The 9 week old kitten currently slobbering all over my blanket has learned basically everything it knows so far from the three grown cats we already had.

post-slobber nap:

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 19, 2017

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

My cat loves to eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsMs5QjMMc

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I’ve seen my cat try to drink by dipping the bottom of her paw in the water and then licking the top of it :eng99:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is it not possible to buy worming meds for cats over the counter in Canada? Or do all the pet supply websites super suck at listing that kind of thing?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah ours can make those things disappear just as quickly!

MIL is feeling very Empty Nest since her last kid moved out, so now she has a kitten called Poe.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

A second cat who doesn't know how to do cat things should learn how to do those cat things pretty quickly by watching the other cat.

The 9 week old kitten currently slobbering all over my blanket has learned basically everything it knows so far from the three grown cats we already had.

post-slobber nap:

That's what you would assume, and you would be wrong. Catspurr refuses to learn how to drink properly.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Just moved to a new place. Cats are scared and won't leave carrier.

Coca has gone as far as shadow melding. :ninja:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How often are you supposed to go to the vet? My current place has me set up for semi-annual visits, which is fine but can get a little expensive sometimes. Is it bad if I go to yearly instead?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I just take my two idiots in for a yearly checkup and shots.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

a report: I got momo a bigger litterbox and he no longer pisses in the corner, and also doesn't drag as much sand out with him. Success!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

3 weeks in with Sancho and he's doing great! He's definitely a lot more comfortable around the home and us. Only issue we're having is that he will sometimes puke after eating but he's peeing and pooping fine. He's generally a nice puker will find us and do it on the wood floor instead of any of the rugs. We're feeding him blue buffalo wet food, and he has dry food(blue buffalo as well) out which he barely touches now. Is this anything to worry about? He's still a very slow eater and I guess that might be due to the dry food being available as a last resort.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

KidDynamite posted:

3 weeks in with Sancho and he's doing great! He's definitely a lot more comfortable around the home and us. Only issue we're having is that he will sometimes puke after eating but he's peeing and pooping fine. He's generally a nice puker will find us and do it on the wood floor instead of any of the rugs. We're feeding him blue buffalo wet food, and he has dry food(blue buffalo as well) out which he barely touches now. Is this anything to worry about? He's still a very slow eater and I guess that might be due to the dry food being available as a last resort.

Very probably he is just eating too much for his little cat tummy. If so, your cat is an idiot, but that is nothing to worry about.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

KidDynamite posted:

He might be horking it down too fast, even if it looks like he's eating slowly. Maybe put out less at a time or try one of those puzzle feeders? Sometimes even just elevating the bowl helps.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I got a 7mo that poops when she coughs or sneezes, other than switching back to the food we used to feed her before she started this, is there anything else I can do to stem the brown tide?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
So Shelly has bladder stones and there's a chance she's going to need surgery to get them removed. Has anyone had the procedure done and can tell me a cost? I know I live in a city so my costs are probably going to be more than most. Ugh, should have looked into getting pet insurance when I got her earlier this year since she's already 9.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Animale posted:

So Shelly has bladder stones and there's a chance she's going to need surgery to get them removed. Has anyone had the procedure done and can tell me a cost? I know I live in a city so my costs are probably going to be more than most. Ugh, should have looked into getting pet insurance when I got her earlier this year since she's already 9.

We ended up having to take my girlfriends to the emergency vet. He was fractious as hell and had to get a catheter and be flushed at least twice, with two overnights. Cost upwards of $3k, but getting it taken care of earlier (his poor urethra was swollen shut) and not having to go to the er would save a bunch. Ask the vet, they'll probably be able to ballpark something for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I got a 7mo that poops when she coughs or sneezes, other than switching back to the food we used to feed her before she started this, is there anything else I can do to stem the brown tide?

If nothing else works, cat diapers are a real thing that exists and you can buy: