Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games are good; gamers are a sick people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hey everybody, since we're talking about mediocre games that you like/don't like, I thought maybe I'd ask a question.

What's your favorite game that you realize is mediocre or otherwise not noteworthy or is outclassed by other games? Something that people generally shrug off but you enjoy it regardless? Why do you like that game?

For me, it'd be Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot and I've noticed in the past year or so a lot of people dismissing 2 and saying that it is a bad game (or at least a very "meh" game). It has its flaws, sure (iirc, on higher difficulties you can get one-shotted by enemy critical hits with no way to get around it other than "be an engineer"), but I like the aesthetic and moddability and just running around with some friends and clicking on stuff to smash them until they explode.

There are other games I enjoy that are seen as being :mediocre: but I figure I'll just write about that one for now.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey everybody, since we're talking about mediocre games that you like/don't like, I thought maybe I'd ask a question.

What's your favorite game that you realize is mediocre or otherwise not noteworthy or is outclassed by other games? Something that people generally shrug off but you enjoy it regardless? Why do you like that game?

For me, it'd be Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot and I've noticed in the past year or so a lot of people dismissing 2 and saying that it is a bad game (or at least a very "meh" game). It has its flaws, sure (iirc, on higher difficulties you can get one-shotted by enemy critical hits with no way to get around it other than "be an engineer"), but I like the aesthetic and moddability and just running around with some friends and clicking on stuff to smash them until they explode.

There are other games I enjoy that are seen as being :mediocre: but I figure I'll just write about that one for now.

Definitely Folklore. It's a such clunky, weird early PS3 game with all the quirks of the era like forced motion controls but it just has charming designs and a novel story and nothing about how it plays is straight up bad, just average

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Probably Ico. The combat is garbage, some of the puzzles are pretty bad (Mainly the jump ones), and the story isn't very notable, but the aesthetic is real good and it has some nice music tracks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

elite dangerous is definitely up there on my list because it's basically a way to keep my hands busy as i watch tv

edit: diablo 3 is there for the same reason too

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 17, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of Immortan Joe, Mad Max definitely fits your description. But I still ended up maxing out all the bases and doing all the side activities--minus the landmines of course, I only did the bare minimum needed for unlocks--in the game, something I did't do in the Witcher 3. It's just such a beautiful apocalypse, the driving is fun as hell, and even the combat, while basic, has a satisfying crunch to it. Plus I'm one of those retards who actually liked the story a lot and thought it worked very well as a direct lead into Fury Road. :colbert:

Real shame they didn't make an extended convoy DLC, since that was definitely the best part of the game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i dunno chulip i guess. but it's so good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

i dunno chulip i guess. but it's so good

maybe a better way to look at it is "what is a game you like, but would never recommend to anyone"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*stares at Vita games collection*

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If I ever hit the powerball you'd better believe we're getting a Wet 2.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cowcaster posted:

I went back to Diablo 3 recently and it's really cool now. I especially like the game mode where they give you an ultra leveled pre-made character with god-tier gear and your goal is to clear a special level in a set ammount of time and the margin for error is really slim. It basically gives you a time-attack mode where everything on the screen explodes constantly and when you win they shower you with items. You also get unique and set items all the time while playing now including being able to craft those. I had a lot of fun doing a fresh season.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife just informed me they’re making a Detective Lu Bu comic. From Dynasty Warriors. I’m trying to get an English version now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

I went back to Diablo 3 recently and it's really cool now. I especially like the game mode where they give you an ultra leveled pre-made character with god-tier gear and your goal is to clear a special level in a set ammount of time and the margin for error is really slim. It basically gives you a time-attack mode where everything on the screen explodes constantly and when you win they shower you with items. You also get unique and set items all the time while playing now including being able to craft those. I had a lot of fun doing a fresh season.

it's ok. it's not great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lichdom: Battlemage is a pretty mediocre game that goes on for way too long but I had a good time with it and still load up NG+ every now and then.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look at this motherfucker

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Heavenly Sword. For the most part it's a basic God of War clone with questionable motion controls, and it was hobbled by coming out while the PS3 was still a laughingstock, but it's got a lot of things going for it. The setting is something you don't see in games very often (a sort of fictionalized classical China). Ninja Theory was already experimenting with storytelling and they expressed it here by hiring Andy Serkis to chew a bunch of mocap scenery (and Anna Torv, better known as Olivia on Fringe, for the main character) and sometimes going all cinematic splitscreen.

Plus there's a musou-esque bit at the end where you get to kill hundreds of enemy troops with catapults and rocket launchers and magic powers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

maybe a better way to look at it is "what is a game you like, but would never recommend to anyone"

a game i like to call, "reading ya dang post history" :twisted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

"What's a game you like that is considered mediocre by a lot of people but you still enjoy it"
"idk diablo 3?"

:v: just teasing lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Probably musou games and knockoff musou games for me, if we're defining mediocre as kind of popcorn games that don't have grand ambitions but are just there to have fun button pushing and flashy visuals.

Oh god, are musou games the fidget spinners of video games?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cowcaster posted:

Idk, if you like a game why wouldn't you recommend it? I guess I would do that for like... an art game, if I knew the tastes of the person I'm talking to and know it's not their kind of game.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I picked my Bnet tag back when it wasn't used for anything public, so it sucks. And I wanna change it in preparation for Destiny 2.
But you only get one free tag change, which means I'm just going to agonize over this forever :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

It's gotta be Fallout 3 for me. People talk all the time about how Fallout NV is the champion of the series and how it's better than 3 in every way. In many ways, it is, because it is a sequel and that much should be obvious and not noteworthy at all. But I'll always maintain that Fallout 3, despite its hilariously silly plot and weirdly petty main villain, is a really good game that brought new life to the "explore wherever you want the game don't care" genre. I think neither game has very good gameplay because the Gamebryo engine is just absolute trash, but imo FO3 does much more with the reaches and boundaries of its setting than NV which I've always thought plays it much safer and more boring/grounded until the DLCs (and then FO4 came along with its own level of creativity).

Fallout 3 is special to me for a lot of reasons, first and foremost being that it was my introduction to that genre of game. It opened the way to The Elder Scrolls (which I didn't end up really liking) and all of its open-world kin and I found it to be pretty amazing. People make fun of the "See that mountain? You can climb it :shepface:" thing but it was a really important moment for video games when that actually became possible. It also was my first attempt at a let's play before it was killed by hard drive failure, and my introduction to a lot of the friends I have today via SA.

I think Fallout 3 is interesting, knows exactly what it wants to be, brought new life and creativity to a genre that had very quickly played its hand, paved the way to further expansions on its own concepts and ideas, and is very very green. Possibly too green.

Also people get really, really upset when you tell them you like FO3 more than NV and that's always funny

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 17, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cowcaster posted:

Raw Danger!

I would never recommend it everyone, but I have shown people all the weird stuff in the beginning more than once.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Olive! posted:

Idk, if you like a game why wouldn't you recommend it? I guess I would do that for like... an art game, if I knew the tastes of the person I'm talking to and know it's not their kind of game.
i feel like you kind of asked and answered your own question there?

it's kind of related to how i have a friend who is in love with dota 2 and spent several years recommending it to the rest of our group of friends despite the fact it appeals to none of us, and spent the tail end of that feeling like we were treating him like poo poo because his recommendations were being ignored rather than just being bad recommendations.

sometimes people like different things than what you like, and that's ok

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I picked my Bnet tag back when it wasn't used for anything public, so it sucks. And I wanna change it in preparation for Destiny 2.
But you only get one free tag change, which means I'm just going to agonize over this forever :ohdear:

Back whenever starcraft 2 came out I put in a joke as my real name in Bnet and apparently they don't ever allow you to change it. They don't seem to care that it doesn't match up with my credit card info lol.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I guess my favorite mediocre game would be LA Noire or the OG Assassin's Creed. Both are cool historical tech demos with no depth whatsoever.

There needs to be more historical games that aren't about specifically about war

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cowcaster posted:

i feel like you kind of asked and answered your own question there?

it's kind of related to how i have a friend who is in love with dota 2 and spent several years recommending it to the rest of our group of friends despite the fact it appeals to none of us, and spent the tail end of that feeling like we were treating him like poo poo because his recommendations were being ignored rather than just being bad recommendations.

sometimes people like different things than what you like, and that's ok

Right, but what I'm saying is I don't think there's any game I enjoy that I would straight up never recommend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snooze Cruise posted:

Raw Danger!

I would never recommend it everyone, but I have shown people all the weird stuff in the beginning more than once.

I watched Steve Gaynor and Nina Freeman (devs at Fullbright) stream a bunch of that game and it looked hilarious.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I watched Steve Gaynor and Nina Freeman (devs at Fullbright) stream a bunch of that game and it looked hilarious.

Any other game would have removed the usability of the yell button in the opening party scene.

Not Raw Danger!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Remember Me is a game I love that is deeply flawed and difficult to recommend. I think a lot of people ITT feel the same way. I'm a huge sucker for the story themes of memory and humanity.

Also while Kid Xmas wasn't a particularly memorable boss fight, he's a great boss. I love the idea of a bounty hunter livestreaming his exploits in an incredibly WWE manner.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think I'd recommend most of the games I like

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Cheeto posted:

Remember Me is a game I love that is deeply flawed and difficult to recommend. I think a lot of people ITT feel the same way. I'm a huge sucker for the story themes of memory and humanity.

Also while Kid Xmas wasn't a particularly memorable boss fight, he's a great boss. I love the idea of a bounty hunter livestreaming his exploits in an incredibly WWE manner.

Yeah, I forgot about that one, but it's been eclipsed and the studio more than redeemed by Life Is Strange.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

Spycraft is the best fmv game ever and it makes me happy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

since vermintide 2 just got announced that reminds me that vermintide is another game i played a bunch of but don't think is all that great (it's just left 4 dead with an added equipment grind)

i liked payday 2 a lot more but they switched how all the skill systems and equipment systems worked in that game about 3000 times since launch and it got really old having to relearn the game from the ground up every time

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of left 4 dead clones, how did the 40k one turn out?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

:lol: GT Sport is always online. If you're offline, you can't even save your single player progress or collect in-game currency.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chumbler posted:

Speaking of left 4 dead clones, how did the 40k one turn out?

Bad enough that they're gonna be relaunching it in a month or so, maybe check it out then?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Is that the Divine Cybermancy one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All the games I like are wonderful and beautiful and how dare you call them mediocre :mad:

• Locked thread