Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Haven't been to Costco lately...do you recall what steaks were running per pound?

Seattle area here. NY strip has been selling for $6.99/lb, which seems pretty darn good. I didn't pay attention to Ribeye, but I think maybe $9.99/lb? I haven't even noticed sirloin the last few times I went. All the above or USDA choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Seattle area here. NY strip has been selling for $6.99/lb, which seems pretty darn good. I didn't pay attention to Ribeye, but I think maybe $9.99/lb? I haven't even noticed sirloin the last few times I went. All the above or USDA choice.

Thanks. That is pretty good. At least pricing for beef and pork are better than a few years back.

While the cut isn't for everyone, I love a good filet. The Costco 4 pack usually is just shy of $30 for 4 nice ones. Haven't sprung for Prime because the price increase isn't exactly a few cents more. But given how incredible the Choice ones turn out I'm half-tempted to try Prime on a special occasion just to see if there is much difference. I sous vide my steaks. Tonight I'm going to do strips from a local butcher. Funny thing is I find their steaks inferior to Costco. But they were a gift and I know Costco blade tenderizes their meat so perhaps that is a reason. Or maybe our town's butcher (who has 3 or 4 locations) just sucks. I'm thinking it is the latter.

And everytime I watch a Arby's commercial I get pissed off on what they did to the brisket market.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Meat is likely blade tenderized, if you're ok with cooking things low and slow that has that going on....

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I just don't understand why they blade tenderize prime steaks. Way to loving ruin them, assholes! I'm not interested in buying a steak I have to cook all the way through.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I really love when Costco sells prime grade packer briskets for choice grade prices - $2.99/lb is insane for prime meat. The one I cooked two days ago was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever cooked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

therobit posted:

I just don't understand why they blade tenderize prime steaks. Way to loving ruin them, assholes! I'm not interested in buying a steak I have to cook all the way through.

Roll the dice on that one.

Sous vide handles it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hi thread, what's your go-to pork rub recipe? I have been using Meathead's Memphis dust but I'm kind of over it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Half a cup of sugar, tablespoon of salt, onion and garlic powder until it smells right, paprika until it looks right.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You need way more chilis in that rub.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah right. I got kids so even paprika's a stretch. Real people should use chilis.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Make sure that's brown sugar, son.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Infinite Karma posted:

I really love when Costco sells prime grade packer briskets for choice grade prices - $2.99/lb is insane for prime meat. The one I cooked two days ago was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever cooked.

It was 2.69/lb here the other week! Smoked it up the weekend before last. It was so perfect. The crispy pieces that basically self fried in the fat were like candy.

[quote="“Mikey Purp”" post="“477284855”"]
Hi thread, what’s your go-to pork rub recipe? I have been using Meathead’s Memphis dust but I’m kind of over it.
[/quote]

I'm lazy so I buy Plowboys yardbird rub. It's very good. The Costco Kirkland rub is also very good but seasonal as I understand it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Make sure that's brown sugar, son.

Turbinado if possible.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Stringent posted:

Turbinado if possible.

:In extremely Al Swearengen voice: You're alright.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Buffer Overflow posted:

I usually just use Montreal steak seasoning as a rub because I'm lazy. It takes a little over 2 hours to smoke to get them to around medium. I don't bother searing them after. Just pull them off and let them rest before carving and they always turn out great. So you don't need to sear but I'm sure that would come out great too.

I wasn't going to sear it because I figured I could live without the texture/appearance at least with this first one but the thing was so gray and unattractive I ended up searing it.

Which causes this question:

What's the best way to take a kamado from 225 to grilling temp? I've never reverse seared anything on it before so this was the first try. I opened the bottom vent all the way and took off the top daisy wheel cap and things came up to grilling temps surprisingly rapidly but the thing was a blazing inferno. I let it burn for a while and then put the daisy wheel back on (but open all the way) and it started generating so much smoke I was sure I'd get the fire department dispatched to my location. So I just took it back off and seared my tri tip extremely rapidly bathed in direct flames.

I'm guessing I should have not taken the cap off, and just opened it, and it'll take longer to get up to temp but won't result in the problems I had?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Brown sugar
Kosher salt
Pepper
Paprika
Cumin
Chili powder
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Ground mustard

Can't tell you measurements exactly but if I had to estimate half cup sugar and a tablespoon each for the rest, varying depending on flavor. That's a guess though because I usually go by sight and taste.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
In order of application:

Salt
Wait a little while
Lightest coat of mustard
Black pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Chipotle chili powder*
Brown sugar

* I am going to try ancho, too.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

El Jebus posted:

In order of application:

Salt
Wait a little while
Lightest coat of mustard
Black pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Chipotle chili powder*
Brown sugar

* I am going to try ancho, too.

Is there a discernible differences applying the rub layered like that? For pork I typically apply the rub at least a day before but all at once.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

lifts cats over head posted:

Is there a discernible differences applying the rub layered like that? For pork I typically apply the rub at least a day before but all at once.

I don't think so, it just allows me to apply straight from the jar instead of mixing a rub ahead of time. I get a relatively even coat without making too much or too little rub.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

is there an alternative to mustard to encourage rub coherence? I really want more of my rub to stay on by my family detests mustard....

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

SoftNum posted:

is there an alternative to mustard to encourage rub coherence? I really want more of my rub to stay on by my family detests mustard....

If you don't tell them it's there, they won't know.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

scrubs season six posted:

Has anyone smoked a tri tip before? I've grilled a million of them but want to try smoking one. Mostly trying to decide whether to marinate or dry rub and also curious how long it'll take at 225 or so to get to medium rare. I'm guessing 2-3 hours. I'm also guessing I'll need to sear it after smoking or the surface texture won't be great.

This turned out awesome and is the best tri tip I've ever had. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to grill one again, despite the time to cook differential. By far the tenderest tri tip I've ever had and the smoke really added a lot. Bonus is that doneness is far easier to control. With a grill I seared them until I got the color/texture I wanted (5-6 minutes per side?) and then moved them to the other half of the grill and shut half the vents and let them bake. Problem being that they were probably still baking at 500+ degrees and when the outside is 500+ and the inside is 120, you get a shitload of residual cooking. Which in my experience isn't super easy to control and if your probe isn't perfectly in the center, and dealing with tri tips that can vary in thickness by 25%, isn't real good for nailing medium rare. I think I ended up settling on pulling them 15 degrees before the temp I wanted based on the probe. And actually had some go up 20+ degrees after removed from the grill (resulting in overcooked tri tip).

Smoking them at 225 it only went up ~2 degrees after being pulled and the searing added a couple more so (pulling it 5 degrees before desired temp) it ended up being perfect medium rare.

Bad news is that this was supposed to be the test fire of the Flame Boss 300 i bought and it totally poo poo the bed. Won't register temps correctly (room temp = 600F and bouncing all over the place). Pretty sure it's a manufacturing defect that is not allowing the probe jacks to seat correctly in the controller but it also seems pretty indicative of the construction quality of it which would be: real bad. I'm sure I'll be able to get it fixed/replaced but it's not a great initial experience with their product. Their iphone app also has some real problems, chief of which would be that it'd tell you to register your unit and say that the serial number was optional, and when you tried to submit it'd tell you to enter the serial number. And when you enter the serial number, it'd tell you you had to enter the serial number and still not allow you to submit it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

SoftNum posted:

I've never tasted the mustard in a finished product.

With that said, I also see little difference in using mustard, vegetable oil or nothing at all.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Never used mustard that I can recall. Rub sticks fine without it for me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Leaving the rub on overnight or longer will improve your bark way more than mustard, if that's what you're after.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I've started using olive oil. Gets the job done.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Water seems fine for me

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I've been doing nothing but the rub tends to sweat / leak off the butt, so I was hoping something would help, but I can give oil a try...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have to cook for ~12 or so people next weekend and they want the full bbq spectrum. How much brisket/ribs/sausages should I plan for, assuming everyone wants some portion of each?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

bewbies posted:

I have to cook for ~12 or so people next weekend and they want the full bbq spectrum. How much brisket/ribs/sausages should I plan for, assuming everyone wants some portion of each?

1.5 lbs per person? I think I read that somewhere.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
A full brisket, a pork shoulder, 3 racks of ribs, and 1/2 sausage each is the full spectrum, and should have everyone full with maybe a few leftovers depending on who you are feeding. If you don't want to do a pork shoulder, up the sausage to 1 full sausage each, and add one more rack of ribs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

A full brisket, a pork shoulder, 3 racks of ribs, and 1/2 sausage each is the full spectrum,

That sounds pretty good but no way I could eat the whole brisket.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I tend to go more ribs and more pork over a full packer brisket

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Y'all ever see a large (10lb) pork butt refuse to stall?
I think it's maybe just poor probe placement.
Probe stuck here:

Chart of cook here, nos tall and already at 190 and climbing.
https://share.fireboard.io/211293

Looking good at 0630 though:

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 17, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That sounds pretty good but no way I could eat the whole brisket.

Not with that attitude you can't. :btroll:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

toplitzin posted:

Y'all ever see a large (10lb) pork butt refuse to stall?
I think it's maybe just poor probe placement.

The last big butt I did, which was around 10 pounds or so didn't stall either. Quickest butt ever, and turned out pretty drat good too!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sellouts posted:

I tend to go more ribs and more pork over a full packer brisket

I would do a packer or flat, a shoulder, and then whatever else you have room for. Brisket and pulled pork are my staples.

I need to do ribs again because they didn't turn out great the one time I've tried them. Finally about finished with my mesquite so I can try another (hopefully better) wood to try, too.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm a little worried about doing a packer brisket as I've only done one and while it was REALLY GODDAMN GOOD my trim job was amateur at best. so, choices are: trimmed choice flats for 6.99/lb, or prime packer for 3.99/lb. any strong opinions on which way I should go?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

bewbies posted:

i'm a little worried about doing a packer brisket as I've only done one and while it was REALLY GODDAMN GOOD my trim job was amateur at best. so, choices are: trimmed choice flats for 6.99/lb, or prime packer for 3.99/lb. any strong opinions on which way I should go?

prime packer, always. leftovers can turn into so many delicious things, plus bbq can freeze well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, nobody gives a poo poo about the trim job when you hand them a big hunk of delicious beef. The prime packer is also going to come out way better than a trimmed flat that will dry out. Leftovers are a bonus.