Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

JFairfax posted:

aks me anything

Do you think they're gonna make enough tiny nintendos this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Tumble posted:

What the gently caress kind of map is that?

One that shows stupid is everywhere?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/S6SYSVZ.mp4

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

not quite as much as people who say 'chomping' at the bit though

Wait, what?

I like how that map indicates that basically everywhere you look there are morons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

Wait, what?

I like how that map indicates that basically everywhere you look there are morons.

So it's an accurate map.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Might could/might should

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SavageMessiah posted:

Wait, what?

Champing at the bit vs chomping at the bit

And no one needs mirrors in every direction.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Holy poo poo.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

It's "champing at the bit", not "chomping".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tumble posted:

What the gently caress kind of map is that?

It's showing that a minority of people everywhere in the country say "on accident." This is called the "moron ratio"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Glazier posted:

It's "champing at the bit", not "chomping".

What difference does it make? Both words mean the same thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Irregardless, we should move on.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Good on him, turning on his hazards.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

SpacePig posted:

God, drowning in grease is one thing, but people not noticing you fell through a hole in the ground of a restaurant for 5-10 minutes is another thing entirely. What's this restaurant's setup that a customer could access any part of a grease trap, much less fall directly into it?

It's an ice cream stand--not really even a restaurant. The grease trap was outside on the property behind the stand somewhere.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo.

But suprisingly, no PISSSSSSS!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

blugu64 posted:

Might could/might should

I wonder if that's a hybrid of "could do" that I've heard Brits that I work with use. As in:

:classiclol: "Hey, we should code this section like this, instead of this..."
:cool: "Yes, could do, I guess."

Content:

Hey, we're pulling some serious current through that box. Gotta keep 'er cool somehow.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Hey, we're pulling some serious current through that box. Gotta keep 'er cool somehow.

:catstare:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DiHK posted:

But suprisingly, no PISSSSSSS!

There's probably some inside the wrecked car now

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"What, the ice is in a bag. No way water could come in direct contact with the wires/current. What do you mean condensation? What does the outside of my beer can have to do with this situation?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I wonder if that's a hybrid of "could do" that I've heard Brits that I work with use. As in:

:classiclol: "Hey, we should code this section like this, instead of this..."
:cool: "Yes, could do, I guess."

Content:

That reminds me about the Liquid Nitrogen tanks on the streets of New York. How do they not get stolen / tampered with? I mean people are stupid enough to steal radioactive equipment from a hospital... I can imagine someone trying to steal several buckets of Liquid Nitrogen and freezing their hands off.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ak Gara posted:

That reminds me about the Liquid Nitrogen tanks on the streets of New York. How do they not get stolen / tampered with? I mean people are stupid enough to steal radioactive equipment from a hospital... I can imagine someone trying to steal several buckets of Liquid Nitrogen and freezing their hands off.

aside from the logistical challenge, liquid nitrogen is too inexpensive to be worth stealing. it's cheaper than milk

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

boner confessor posted:

aside from the logistical challenge, liquid nitrogen is too inexpensive to be worth stealing. it's cheaper than milk

As easily obtained? I've never looked into it, I would (assume) MotherFuckingJames can't walk into a store off the street (or order legit online) and buy some, but maybe I'm wrong, I should google this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

blugu64 posted:

Might could/might should

"Can you borrow me a quarter?"

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

MF_James posted:

As easily obtained? I've never looked into it, I would (assume) MotherFuckingJames can't walk into a store off the street (or order legit online) and buy some, but maybe I'm wrong, I should google this.

Yeah, you can just go and buy some off the street. You need a proper container and if you dont have one you can buy or rent one.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've bought LN2 just by walking in to the office / shop and telling them that's what I'm here for. They don't dispense unless you have a suitable container, but that's probably something that you could get around with some basic "c'mon, I came a long way for this!" type arguing.

Depending on the amount you want, how quickly you want it ("right now" is harder than "deliver it to my place of business next week"), and the arcane plumbing on the container you've got (actual quote: "Is this... uh... European?") it might not be worth the dispenser's time to argue with you about safety. I've been lucky and never had a risk of something bad happening, but I can easily imagine one of the employees just pouring a couple of litres into your Gatorade cooler for you if you catch him just before closing.

LN2 is Dangerous Goods, but it's like the easy, babby's-first-hazardous-shipment kind of DG. Don't drink it, don't swim in it, and don't try to seal the container and then sleep with it in an enclosed space, but otherwise it's pretty safe. Idiots always find a way to make it ludicrously dangerous, but I've also been lucky in being able to avoid mixing idiots with LN2, so far.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Just like Grandpa!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is how Artie Lange's father became a quadriplegic. They attempted to sue the ladder company, but couldn't because he had originally stolen the ladder.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MF_James posted:

you can't just walk into a store and say "i'd like one gallon of liquid nitrogen, please" because the uses of it and the means necessary to store and transport it preclude retail use vs. industrial or institutional use. but there's no licensing or anything, if you want to spend the money you could call up praxair or whoever and have a tank full of liquid nitrogen behind your house tomorrow if you can convince the salesperson you're not going to do something stupid with it

e: apparently you can just buy it from a welding supply or building supply store. it looks like nearly all of the cost is for the container, and liquid nitrogen can be as cheap as fifty cents a gallon if you get it in bulk

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 17, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

must of been by purpose

by porpoise

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

boner confessor posted:

you could call up praxair or whoever and have a tank full of liquid nitrogen behind your house tomorrow if you can convince the salesperson you're not going to do something stupid with it
this implies the sales guy cares and/or will think that freezing X and hitting it with a hammer/your dick/a hammer strapped to your dick is not awesome

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

quote:

In new guidelines for local officials published in September, the EPA advised that radiation exposure during disasters ten or more times higher than guidelines under Barack Obama’s administration is safe, Bloomberg reported.

The updated version of the document which in 2007 said no levels of radiation exposure are safe now cites unnamed “radiation safety experts” as saying that “radiation exposures of 5–10 rem (5,000–10,000 mrem or 50–100 mSv) usually result in no harmful health effects, because radiation below these levels is a minor contributor to our overall cancer risk.”

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I for one refuse to accept that language ever changes and evolves, which is why anyone who doesn't speak pure Anglo-Saxon circa 900 CE is bad and wrong.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

There's probably some inside the wrecked car now

His pants looked dry to me.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Uh...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Part of the evolution of language is people also saying "no, that sounds dumb, you sound stupid and wrong" and pushing back. People are free to try to "evolve" English but people are also just as free to reject those attempts.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MF_James posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArTUmXevX0w&t=89s

The main barrier to buying liquid N2 is the container, check ebay for used ones and you could find one to fit in your trunk for a few hundred dollars. Then spend like $30 to fill it up at a welding supply shop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Part of the evolution of language is people also saying "no, that sounds dumb, you sound stupid and wrong" and pushing back. People are free to try to "evolve" English but people are also just as free to reject those attempts.

who loving cares this is the osha thread you knob

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

boner confessor posted:

you can't just walk into a store and say "i'd like one gallon of liquid nitrogen, please" because the uses of it and the means necessary to store and transport it preclude retail use vs. industrial or institutional use. but there's no licensing or anything, if you want to spend the money you could call up praxair or whoever and have a tank full of liquid nitrogen behind your house tomorrow if you can convince the salesperson you're not going to do something stupid with it

e: apparently you can just buy it from a welding supply or building supply store. it looks like nearly all of the cost is for the container, and liquid nitrogen can be as cheap as fifty cents a gallon if you get it in bulk
If you'd read my post, you'll note that I basically said exactly that, on more than one occassion, and left with my LN2 to do with as I please.

Welding supply stores are the usual place to get LN2, they typically have a couple of different grades of the stuff (I have no idea what impurities there might be and at what concentration), with the medical-grade stuff being a bit more expensive. It's still dirt cheap if you have the right container. I've received small amounts for free because it wasn't worth it to fill out the invoice for like 1 dollar into my itty-bitty cryoshipper that just needed a top-up.

The time I bought it directly from Praxair was a bit more involved, I had to drive all over the city in the rain to get to the location where they actually had some (I also needed dry ice, that was at another place) and they were pretty on-the-ball about safety at their main processing facility - we had to stay in the truck because we didn't have hardhats, goggles, steel-toes, and high-vis vests with us; they eventually found some of that stuff for us so I could walk over and answer questions at the filling point, and pay for it.

Dry ice is even easier. My GF bought some for my birthday one year, we made drinks with it.

EDIT: a proper container for LN2 can be obtained for the low low price of "free" if you say the right things when they're decommisioning a lab or renovating a hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ExecuDork posted:

Dry ice is even easier. My GF bought some for my birthday one year, we made drinks with it.

Grocery stores around here have dry ice for a few dollars a pound. Definitely not hard to get a hold of that.