Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i love really stupid weapons. what's the stupidest weapon a video game character uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in peace walker you can hold up people with a banana as long as they don't actually see it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

i love really stupid weapons. what's the stupidest weapon a video game character uses?

Lu Bu’s weird spinner thing, the Gungrave coffin gun, DMc3’s guitar

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
lusopizzacutter.jpeg

edit: I always thought the snarks in Half-life were dumb. Like maybe they'll attack the enemy, or no one, or you, or fall through the level. Can't wait to find out!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also the mgs4 rifle that fires tornadoes

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Dude with the boat in Dynasty warriors

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The World’s Most Interesting Bomb

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

tap my mountain posted:

Dude with the boat in Dynasty warriors

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Like 3/4 of the items in Dead Rising

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

DUCK GAME

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey everybody, since we're talking about mediocre games that you like/don't like, I thought maybe I'd ask a question.

What's your favorite game that you realize is mediocre or otherwise not noteworthy or is outclassed by other games? Something that people generally shrug off but you enjoy it regardless? Why do you like that game?

For me, it'd be Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot and I've noticed in the past year or so a lot of people dismissing 2 and saying that it is a bad game (or at least a very "meh" game). It has its flaws, sure (iirc, on higher difficulties you can get one-shotted by enemy critical hits with no way to get around it other than "be an engineer"), but I like the aesthetic and moddability and just running around with some friends and clicking on stuff to smash them until they explode.

There are other games I enjoy that are seen as being :mediocre: but I figure I'll just write about that one for now.

Michigan: Report From Hell, but I probably thought of it bc I just played it like 3 days ago. You don't really do much, it's kind of like a primordial walking sim. And they don't use the Intervention mechanic nearly enough (twice over the entire game) and it's way too long and it's relatively impossible to find a version in English unless you live in Europe and want to spend too much money. But the central conceit is so fascinating to me, and the idea that different endings are locked behind just completely ignoring the central mechanic of shooting dialogue means you'd bore yourself out of your skull trying to see a different 30 second FMV. But I love it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh the jurassic park 3 park builder for gba was cool when i was like 10 but it probably is super suck

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Stexils posted:

everything from God Eater

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if i made a game with upgradeable weapons i would for sure include the noble garbage tier branch with a leaf on it that can be honed to the best sword

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

if i made a game with upgradeable weapons i would for sure include the noble garbage tier branch with a leaf on it that can be honed to the best sword

is there a term for this, a ton of games do it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
where can I read about the South Park game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stexils posted:

this honor can only go to Joachim, the gay wrestling vampire from Shadow Hearts: Covenant who fights using random heavy objects he finds lying around

including but not limited to: a mailbox, a wrestling announcer's desk, a big frozen trout, a miniature office building with miniature office workers inside

also he has a butterfly mask that makes him super-powerful

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

well nevermind

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

is there a term for this, a ton of games do it

i don't know the term but i know if you drop the branch sword in a fountain the fairy will appear and ask if you dropped the fabled masamune instead. if you say no she rewards your honesty with the blade

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snooze Cruise posted:

Any other game would have removed the usability of the yell button in the opening party scene.

Not Raw Danger!

I think Raw Danger is the oldest game I can remember that lets you put goofy-rear end wardrobe items on your characters to totally ruin the dramatic tension of cutscenes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales has been doing it for a long time but I'm not sure how long.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

i don't know the term but i know if you drop the branch sword in a fountain the fairy will appear and ask if you dropped the fabled masamune instead. if you say no she rewards your honesty with the blade

one of these days someone's gotta make it so the fairy rewards your honesty by giving you back the lump of crap

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is Raw Danger the one with the ost by Skapara?

e: my bad, that was Incredible Crisis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is the first legacy of kain cool, its on sale for a dollar on PSN.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

:psyduck: What?

And the randomly capitalized words -- that's like the biggest red flag ever for madness.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey everybody, since we're talking about mediocre games that you like/don't like, I thought maybe I'd ask a question.

What's your favorite game that you realize is mediocre or otherwise not noteworthy or is outclassed by other games? Something that people generally shrug off but you enjoy it regardless? Why do you like that game?

For me, it'd be Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot and I've noticed in the past year or so a lot of people dismissing 2 and saying that it is a bad game (or at least a very "meh" game). It has its flaws, sure (iirc, on higher difficulties you can get one-shotted by enemy critical hits with no way to get around it other than "be an engineer"), but I like the aesthetic and moddability and just running around with some friends and clicking on stuff to smash them until they explode.

There are other games I enjoy that are seen as being :mediocre: but I figure I'll just write about that one for now.

I tried answering this question but every time I looked at a game I really like my brain screamed "you can't say its bad, it does this really well!".

The closest thing I can think of is LISA. The gameplay in LISA is totally standard and utterly remarkable aside from some funny visuals. But I find the story to be extremely good and it handles subjects most games refuse to even touch really well. I don't think that's really an honest answer though cause I don't think the game is mediocre, I just think its underrated.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Human ultra-experience database - Develop a world-wide digital database cataloguing different types of supranormal experiences, with the goal of creating proprietary algorithms to find detailed patterns and correlate them with other academic research.

Brain-computer interface technology - Explore new approaches for the use of sophisticated technologies to promote direct brain to computer interfaces.

Engineering the space-time metric - Develop next-generation aerospace propulsion technologies, using a concept referred to as metric engineering, which uses advanced math modelling techniques, providing a technology base to the Aerospace Division for future products.

Telepathy - Explore the location in the brain where this phenomenon is centered, and develop protocols for its enhancement and use.

Updates

Fmr. Manager of DOD Aerospace Threat Program: “UFOs are Real”

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
loving finally someone is 'exploring the location of the brain where telepathy comes from'

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Blink-182? :aaa:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Let me just get out my chequebook...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcscXItyc9Y

If you gather all the 16 limited editions pairs you get to make a wish.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Lost Kingdoms 2. It's From cashing in on the early 2000s card game craze but it's still a slow action rpg like their other output

Joe and Mac 2. Caveman and dinosaur platformer. Final boss is bullshit

Odin Sphere (the original)

All of the 3D bombermans (64, Hero, Second Attack, Generations, Jetter)

Star Fox Assault

Custom Robo (on the gc)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcscXItyc9Y

If you gather all the 16 limited editions pairs you get to make a wish.

Ubi could do a dozen different terrible product tie-ins and none of them would be as baffling as the Final Fantasy XV - Assassin's Creed Crossover Event

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stexils posted:

*posts Square Enix's gameography*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ubi could do a dozen different terrible product tie-ins and none of them would be as baffling as the Final Fantasy XV - Assassin's Creed Crossover Event

How about the MGS4 one.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about the Sonic Hooters crossover

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Wasn't there a Monster Hunter Generations Asscreed DLC?

Sure wish XX would get localized. :sigh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

How about the MGS4 one.

that armor looked great on ezio in brotherhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FirstAidKite posted:

Torchlight 2 is "mediocre" only if you take each thing it does and calculate the average. It has the best tactile feel of any Diablo clone ever made. It also has the absolute loving worst itemization and underlying math of any game of its kind. It's like the talent that went into Diablo 2 got split right down the middle and they filled in the half they didn't get with literal poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread