Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i think ill buy em client, it seems to be hitting middle spot between win10 mail and outlook without working like rear end (i.e. thunderbirb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
still lollin’ at the halloween memos

oh MS you crazy monopolist

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

it's a good talk but god drat does he come across like he's smarter than anyone who builds things because he can tear them down

he should know that sony had a very very good reason for every one of their decisions

and that reason was trolling the gently caress out of him in his hours of figuring out what the gently caress was going on

also i'm pretty sure their weird RTC implementation has to do with pre-orders and how they're unlocked, because game preloads don't have to do the whole decryption thing Steam does, it's just once its clock passes a specific point designated as the game's unlock time, the system will let you run it (and block you beforehand), you don't even need internet for the unlock to happen after the unlock time rolls over

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

That Robot posted:

still lollin’ at the halloween memos

oh MS you crazy monopolist

what memos?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

it's a good talk but god drat does he come across like he's smarter than anyone who builds things because he can tear them down

seriously.

the south bridge soc thing makes sense in a lot of ways, especially for connected standby.

the iommu thing almost worked but for one silly error on sony's part and he goes into detail later about how there's a lot of hardware-level protection in place to defend against dma attacks from gpu subversion. seems like a lot of thought was put into dma-hardening in general.

anybody who understands even half of what he's talking about in the first place is going to know full well that instruction set architectures are distinct from system peripherals so idk why he's being such a smug by pointing this out in great length while sounding extremely pleased with himself

the weird i2c scripting, the pcie hall-of-mirrors, these all seem like lovely silicon errata that some poor bastard had to work 70 hours/wk to frantically work around because when you have to ramp production from 0 to god knows how many tens of millions of units per (insert short time frame here) you really don't get many revs in which to gild the silicon lily before you go to volume.

"there's a security chip but it doesn't do anything, you can just ignore it lmao" this guy knows exactly what a tpm is and what it's used for, he's just being a cock

acpi tables aren't strictly spec-compliant on a device that runs only one first-party os ever lmao is this mf serious

yes i'm sure sony cared deeply about spending literal months polishing up their register and firmware interfaces to pass conformance suites to reliably run all those alternative operating systems on the ps4 such as

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

super agreed on all the above, but luckily it is still a good talk about a cool project. just consider all the ranting as the flavor it is, rather than factually relevant

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

iirc some effortpost explained that the external encoder, while equivalent at the time, was prepared to be software update to later versions of the standard (was the big thing there hdr? i don't remember), and indeed was

it certainly strains credulity that sony engineers working on a high-budget design project for a device that is expected to sell in vast numbers would just toss a couple of components onto the bom without checking what the chips they already have on there can do
yeah it really does but they did it anyway. like why would the hard drive connect through a usb interface instead of using the sata interface that the blu-ray player gets? it's like they intentionally wanted to handicap users who would install games to the internal drive without any forethought

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
could be chip errata. to take a completely wild guess maybe the dma controller inside the sata core is hosed and corrupts memory if both channels are active simultaneously

but then why not put the slow BD-ROM on UBS MS instead of the relatively fast hard disk? maybe it's a copy protection thing? like if the BD-ROM was just a usb device then you could easily stick some microcontroller-based bridge to serve an ISO to the console and then install to disk so that it runs fast. that might be a bit harder to do if you have to emulate sata. but who knows.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

other blind guess; it's to prevent the blu-ray drive from losing throughput (e.g. during movie playback) while the hard drive does other poo poo in the background like downloading.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the hard drive is on the low power system so it can save and install stuff while the console is "off," might have something to do with that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if they for one reason or other could not put both on sata i suspect there is value in itself to limit the hdd a bit. they'll want flexibility in sourcing the part, and having it on usb creates an artificial bottleneck keeping devs from accidentally relying on bursty caches etc. by comparison i assume the bd drive is a sony part and has no such considerations

e: either way, i will bet you heavily smarter people than us spent months with this decision, it was certainly *not* a matter of inattention or incompetence

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

the hard drive is on the low power system so it can save and install stuff while the console is "off," might have something to do with that

This is also true, there's a lot of weird decisions and superfluous hardware that exists solely for the console to still do stuff when it's in rest mode (which is really nice, actually, would be nice if your PC was in sleep mode it'd pull updates for Windows/games/other software).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

univbee posted:

This is also true, there's a lot of weird decisions and superfluous hardware that exists solely for the console to still do stuff when it's in rest mode (which is really nice, actually, would be nice if your PC was in sleep mode it'd pull updates for Windows/games/other software).

yeah it's pretty cool that I can buy a game on my phone and when I get home from work it's installed and patched and ready to go

burning swine
May 26, 2004

welp

looks like fall creators update is starting to roll out.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-fall-creators-update-the-10-best-new-features/

am I the only one who reads down these lists every 6 months and concludes that effectively nothing at all has changed

burning swine
May 26, 2004

like hot drat we've got big changes incoming to cortana, defender, onedrive, photos

oh right I removed or disabled every single one of those things already

but there's an emoji character map picker now!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

question is, do you actually *want* any of that stuff to change fundamentally? predictability sells for a reason

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

built in emet is probably noteworthy

speaking of which, by disabling defender you are the problem with the internet

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I wouldn't mind if they would fix some of the glaring poo poo that's been plaguing the OS since launch, like the control panel / settings disparity, the 90 different kinds of context menus, and the dumb crap everyone wants to disable but can't

those would be changes I could get behind

burning swine
May 26, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

built in emet is probably noteworthy

speaking of which, by disabling defender you are the problem with the internet

A/V is bad, this is well known

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

welp

looks like fall creators update is starting to roll out.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-fall-creators-update-the-10-best-new-features/

am I the only one who reads down these lists every 6 months and concludes that effectively nothing at all has changed
there's gpu monitoring in task manager, which is neat
you can't turn game mode off globally (or maybe you can via registry/gpo?), instead you have to go into each game and open the xbox overlay and turn it off there. maybe uninstalling the xbox apps/features would disable game mode but idk
you can link an android or iphone to share files? email? not sure, not gonna hook em up
there's like this anti-cheat thing called TruePlay but all the articles i've read say it doesn't work yet. they'll probably require it for the next halo, nothing else will ever use it, and then it'll get dropped
there's a video playback section in settings where you can "automatically process video to enhance it" and i have no idea what that's supposed to mean. it's disabled by default for me. you can also enable hdr here if your displays support hdr. not sure if this is just for like, windows media player or edge or what
oh and when you install things on windows update it'll tell you what it's doing for each package like "downloading - x%" or "installing - x%"

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 17, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

look at this typhoid mary motherfucker here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

like hot drat we've got big changes incoming to cortana, defender, onedrive, photos

oh right I removed or disabled every single one of those things already

but there's an emoji character map picker now!

im legit excited about onedrive files on demand, security improvements, gpu in task manager, dpi improvements, updating improvements. emoji bar and fluent design system is nice too.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

defender is good since 8, extremely good since 10

anthonypants posted:

there's gpu monitoring in task manager, which is neat
you can't turn game mode off globally (or maybe you can via registry/gpo?), instead you have to go into each game and open the xbox overlay and turn it off there. maybe uninstalling the xbox apps/features would disable game mode but idk
you can link an android or iphone to share files? email? not sure, not gonna hook em up
there's like this anti-cheat thing called TruePlay but all the articles i've read say it doesn't work yet. they'll probably require it for the next halo, nothing else will ever use it, and then it'll get dropped
there's a video playback section in settings where you can "automatically process video to enhance it" and i have no idea what that's supposed to mean. it's disabled by default for me. you can also enable hdr here if your displays support hdr. not sure if this is just for like, windows media player or edge or what
oh and when you install things on windows update it'll tell you what it's doing for each package like "downloading - x%" or "installing - x%"

are you sure game mode is can now be only disable on per game basis (excluding registry/gpo)?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

look at this typhoid mary motherfucker here

3rd party a/vs are shite yes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

onedrive pisses me off almost solely because it keeps coming back and reenabling itself and all its icons. i should switch to it from dropbox but i cant be arsed to do so

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

dpi improvements

Didn't know about that, that's actually good

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

cinci zoo sniper posted:

3rd party a/vs are shite yes

that statement's been trivial since back when defender was still security essentials but the dude i quoted didn't even want that much

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that statement's been trivial since back when defender was still security essentials but the dude i quoted didn't even want that much

it is known, i called him out too

burning swine
May 26, 2004

it is also known that defender runs javascript and other execution engines with no sandbox and has been used as an attack surface multiple times already

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you sure game mode is can now be only disable on per game basis (excluding registry/gpo)?
the ui toggle is gone, i haven't looked for another global disable for it but i'm going to assume one exists in the registry because i am an optimist

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
well why wouldn't you want to play your games with the best possible experience?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the game bar is the stupid thing that shows up, game mode is just some 3d rendering 1% performance improvement thing i thought?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I wouldn't mind if they would fix some of the glaring poo poo that's been plaguing the OS since launch, like the control panel / settings disparity, the 90 different kinds of context menus, and the dumb crap everyone wants to disable but can't

those would be changes I could get behind

ui consistency is the most expensive thing to fix because it means that different teams have to actually talk to each other

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hifi posted:

the game bar is the stupid thing that shows up, game mode is just some 3d rendering 1% performance improvement thing i thought?
yes, i have no idea what it actually does. you can turn the game bar off, that toggle is still there.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hifi posted:

the game bar is the stupid thing that shows up

offering the BEST gaming experience

*launches game*

*game bar shows up*
*Nvidia ansel notification shows up*
*steam overlay shows up*
*computer reboots itself for updates*

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

game not played, compute experience optimized

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

anthonypants posted:

every linux nerd bashes systemd
no, it's the loud mouthbreaters that can't stop making GBS threads up slashdot and reddit threads that causes that impression

i hate that so many of them gather around gentoo, because there's no better gentoo than a gentoo running with systemd. i guess the default is openrc still because if they switched it would trigger a flamefest that would never end

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

the ui toggle is gone, i haven't looked for another global disable for it but i'm going to assume one exists in the registry because i am an optimist

shite

hifi posted:

yes, and not always improvement. game mode is noticeable in poverty tier configs only, and by that i mean "worse than i5-4210U and 850M"

its very bad that they are forcing the bar too though, since even game bar alone can cause problems (there's a "fullscreen optimisations" setting (exe properties for video game) that is being forced on by game bar which can wreck ball in some games (e.g. overwatch))

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

offering the BEST gaming experience

*launches game*

*game bar shows up*
*Nvidia ansel notification shows up*
*steam overlay shows up*
*computer reboots itself for updates*

more nvidia anselomarf

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i think i can get 5 overlay notifications going at once depending on the game

shadowplay
ansel
origin
steam
game bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i only get origin or steam, will start getting game bar after update rolls over to me i guess