Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
In Mortal Empires it looks like, kind of strangely, that Malekith is going to spend a lot of time fighting/confederating Dark Elves before he can really get to any other race. High Elves are now basically straight south through Morathi's lands unless he launches a naval invasion, but iirc those territories are fairly uninhabitable for DEs. He's got Norsca to the east and is in probably the best position to raid Bretonnia and the Empire, though he also has the strongest position in terms of defensive ability since most of his major threats are either Morathi or need to come by sea once he secures his borders. Hopefully the AI Malekith starts loving with/raiding around the Old World pretty quick. Morathi looks like a fairly fun start, though not too different from the Vortex Campaign since she now has to sail around Ulthuan to get anywhere new. She does come into contact with High Elves a lot earlier though, and still can do alright for herself going around Ulthuan to the north.

Mazdamundi gets closer access to Ulthuan I guess, otherwise no changes, while Kroq-gar gets some new people to fight if he expands north.

No idea what Teclis' start looks like now, while Tyrion gets to go gently caress up Morathi and some fat floating frogs faster.

Skrolk looks the same, while Queek starting near K8P is obviously the big difference. Hopefully adding Skaven and the Southlands can make that whole Badlands slog less of a...slog. If I had my way they'd have compressed the Badlands a bit by pushing the Silver Road slightly south and the Southlands slightly north-east, but whatever. Combined with shrinking Norsca a bit, and you could get some more variability in map size and I like playing factions more central to the playing area than on the periphery. Which is why they need to add a Skavenblight-starting LL immediately, because its basically dead-center in the map.

Greenskins get some Skaven to smash, otherwise about the same unless they head far enough south to start loving around in the Southlands. I haven't done a Wurzzag campaign, does he start far enough south that you can basically just head down there ASAP? Same with Grimgor/Azhag actually, it feels like you want to blitz the main Dwarf faction (who should really be renamed to Karaz-a-Karak while I'm thinking about it) immediately and then you're in a war with the VC so going south is harder, though I guess you could.

VC is unchanged except for the ability to settle in the mountains, same as the Dwarfs except they get to fight Skaven if they move south and can settle in VC lands if they want. Hopefully, hopefully they finally add Mousillon as a startpos because that looks like it'd be a goddamn blast with all of the new poo poo since you're right in the loving middle of everything, same with the Vampire Coast. I still think that Karak Kadrin should be a new start for Ungrim, but whatever. Both of these factions also feel like they're on the wrong side of the world to really feel any different since they're both pretty much as far east as possible. Which is really a shame, since I think VC is my favorite faction on the battlefield, have the most LLs, but are basically tied for the most homogeneous start positions with Empire (who at least have a lot more variety in the early-game despite all having the exact same start).

Bretonnia got a lot more fun with a lot more crusade targets in general.

No idea what to say about Wood Elves. They got...more trading partners I guess? Defending their lands got a lot harder since before you could rely on taking Bretonnia, Estalia, and Tilea and then defending the narrower passes to them if you wanted to but now those are all open to invasion from the west.

Empire should be fun too; you're close enough to the New World that invading/trading shouldn't be too rough, but they're really screaming for Kislev and especially Tilea/Estalia starts. Kislev's been a tempting target for a long while since by the time you make it up there its often a wasteland and you've got Hellpit up there, Dwarfs, nuNorsca, and some other stuff to fight, but Estalia and Tilea's new position as basically the loving center of the map seems to confirm that they should be the basis for a new DLC (plus the stuff implied in the Norsca update). Like, as Estalia you're in near-immediate contact with every race available except maybe Norsca and DE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

I really don't like how condensed the Mortal Empires map is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/76esi2/the_mortal_empires_campaign_map_with_province/

There's almost no point to even having water separating the continents anymore, christ.
Look how much of the loving jungle they hacked off too. :qq:

Condensed is a good thing here.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Skaven tend to have pretty bad auto resolve odds, isn't the likely badlands AI scenario going to be skaven beating up orcs with their own bad auto resolves and then dwarves rolling up both of them?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I’d be amazed if the next patch doesn’t come with some kind of autoresolve change

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ITT: no lizardmen players clearly.

Bad opinions everywhere, just engulf the entire map in jungle please.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I think I'm more excited for blood than the ME campaign, though the fact that they coincide is nice. I'm loving Warhammer 2 but it just feels off without my Saurus warriors turning Skaven into a red paste, I'm excited to see how bloody magic is now considering it's buffs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I think I'm more excited for blood than the ME campaign, though the fact that they coincide is nice. I'm loving Warhammer 2 but it just feels off without my Saurus warriors turning Skaven into a red paste, I'm excited to see how bloody magic is now considering it's buffs.

Hah, same, I haven't played in a couple of days just because armies getting destroyed by mad scientist techno-magics/flattened by dinosaur stampedes should look the part.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

I really don't like how condensed the Mortal Empires map is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/76esi2/the_mortal_empires_campaign_map_with_province/

There's almost no point to even having water separating the continents anymore, christ.
Look how much of the loving jungle they hacked off too. :qq:

I'm with you man. I like when the oceans feel like proper oceans in terms of vastness. Makes the world feel larger and more mysterious.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Some random dude on Reddit made that with the poo poo available in the files. You know what else is in the files if you look? Settlement rules from loving shogun 2.

My suggestion would be not to take the poo poo some rear end in a top hat on Reddit says as gospel till you have a bit more official proof.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Mazz posted:

Some random dude on Reddit made that with the poo poo available in the files. You know what else is in the files if you look? Settlement rules from loving shogun 2.

My suggestion would be not to take the poo poo some rear end in a top hat on Reddit says as gospel till you have a bit more official proof.

Realm Divide in mortal empires confirmed?

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Deakul posted:

ITT: no lizardmen players clearly.

Bad opinions everywhere, just engulf the entire map in jungle please.

Being in the jungle was by far the worst part of my lizardmen campaign due to them lacking underway travel.

Skrolk plays so much smoother on the campaign map than mazdamundi it's not even funny.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mazz posted:

I dunno

as pointed out earlier, chaos invasion was the imperium script and corruption is just the religion script

settlement rules from shogun 2 might have actually been used

I keep saying that total war warhammer is my favorite mod for a reason

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Third World Reggin posted:

I dunno

as pointed out earlier, chaos invasion was the imperium script and corruption is just the religion script

settlement rules from shogun 2 might have actually been used

I keep saying that total war warhammer is my favorite mod for a reason

They definitely build on their own stuff, that much is true. There's also a bunch of stuff that someone just forgot to remove when they started working on the new game in the developer files. Each game has pieces of the older ones but with different pieces every time that seemingly interact with nothing, it's kind of funny.

My point is more that we have no idea if that is the final version coming on the 26th. Sure it's in the files now but they can easily replace it in 2 weeks with something very similar or very different if they wanted to. Is it likely the right one? Sure, but it's just as likely the wrong one. The point is we have no idea besides some goober on Reddit.

Until we get a full version from CA, it's probably best to not get all worked up over how little water there is.

IMO especially considering how awful water interacts with the current strategic map and armies.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2017

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I have a pretty simple question:

I like the AI stacks on legendary/very hard, but I would prefer to buff the AI like that without also getting all the player penalties. I especially dislike the fact that a pretty decently large Mazdamundi Empire from the Isthmus to the altar of the horned rat has issues funding more then 2 earlyish stacks and a treasure grabber.

What Mods are recommended here?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mightypeon posted:

I have a pretty simple question:

I like the AI stacks on legendary/very hard, but I would prefer to buff the AI like that without also getting all the player penalties. I especially dislike the fact that a pretty decently large Mazdamundi Empire from the Isthmus to the altar of the horned rat has issues funding more then 2 earlyish stacks and a treasure grabber.

What Mods are recommended here?

Get the PFM, open campaign_diffuculty_values, set all the player modifiers in there to zero. You've just made the exact mod you want in about 4 minutes of effort.

EDIT: that probably came off as sarcastic, didn't mean that way. Getting the PFM lets you view everything as labeled spreadsheets so once you get a feel for it modding that stuff is very low effort compared to most other games.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ravenfood posted:

In Mortal Empires it looks like, kind of strangely, that Malekith is going to spend a lot of time fighting/confederating Dark Elves before he can really get to any other race. High Elves are now basically straight south through Morathi's lands unless he launches a naval invasion, but iirc those territories are fairly uninhabitable for DEs. He's got Norsca to the east and is in probably the best position to raid Bretonnia and the Empire, though he also has the strongest position in terms of defensive ability since most of his major threats are either Morathi or need to come by sea once he secures his borders. Hopefully the AI Malekith starts loving with/raiding around the Old World pretty quick. Morathi looks like a fairly fun start, though not too different from the Vortex Campaign since she now has to sail around Ulthuan to get anywhere new. She does come into contact with High Elves a lot earlier though, and still can do alright for herself going around Ulthuan to the north.

Malekith had no issues running over to Ulthaun and beating them up and taking their land.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Turin did a 4 person FFA with the faction unlocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk0yLD3QMw

skaven, dwarves, empire, greenskins

I am excited for mortal empires

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mazz posted:

Nobunga the Everchosen DLC confirmed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randler posted:

Nobunga the Everchosen DLC confirmed.

I did not know I wanted this till now.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Glorious Nippon confirmed! Now alongside the rest of the :effort: countries like Ind, Cathay, and the ever original Araby!

Seriously though someone give CA a giant bag of money and have them add the racist caricature countries that never appeared in the first place, gently caress it. Wanna be a Cathyan sorcerer controlling an army of quilen and terracotta warriors.

EDIT: Also Khuresh which is apparently southeast Asia? Supposed to have Naga so it's at least Cambodia or Thailand.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Total War: Allstars

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Orochi Musou Warriors: Warhammer Total War 2: Special Edition

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't understand what all the hate for Lizardmen cavalry is. Cold one spears are amazing anticav, better than orc boar boys big 'uns. Horned ones have heavy armor, armor-piercing, and are just as fast as Reiksguard; I've found them to be worth the price of rampage. Maybe people dislike them because they're overshadowed by the carnasaurs and stegadons?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

Total War: Allstars

The next step for the franchise is a game where every nerd-famous historical warlord exists simultaneously in a world with appropriate monsters and magic. Alexander, Caesar, Cyrus, Genghis Khan, Nobunaga and Napoleon to start with.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

El Chingon posted:

Any news regarding the sales numbers? I really want CA to be successful after all the hard work they've put on this. I read somewhere that SteamSpy numbers showed a 30% drop compared to TW1...

I wouldn't worry too much about them being successful. I'm pretty sure the first game was a wild success by anyone's standard, so even a drop from that should be fine, especially with all the DLC they'll still be selling. Honestly the glut of DLC in the first game could easily have played a role in convincing people to wait on 2 for now since they probably still have things to play from the last game and know this game will end up being very expensive if they buy everything at full price.

I do think some concern about 3 might be warranted since Total Chaos might not be as appealing as the other two, even if they throw in some other stuff like Kislev.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

As much as I'm not super interested in it, the next logical step would be LOTR.

EDIT:

Sinteres posted:

I do think some concern about 3 might be warranted since Total Chaos might not be as appealing as the other two, even if they throw in some other stuff like Kislev.

I know I've basically already 'bought' 3 in my head, having owned 1 and 2. Also I think WH nerds will go crazy for Chaos Dwarfs. Also giant gently caress-off map with everyone? Yes please.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 17, 2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Really hope they'll do Chaos Dwarves and Ogres. Could see them doing the Southlands bait and switch and populate the Darklands with Norse, orcs, Skaven, and the token Lizardman on the Dragon Isles.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ZeusJupitar posted:

The next step for the franchise is a game where every nerd-famous historical warlord exists simultaneously in a world with appropriate monsters and magic. Alexander, Caesar, Cyrus, Genghis Khan, Nobunaga and Napoleon to start with.

If this is what Total War Arena actually was rather than World Of Total War Rome 2, it'd rule.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, I really do think that the lack of a really marketable playable race for the third game is a pretty big concern.

I love Chaos Dwarves but for some reason I doubt the average person would care about them.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

SoftNum posted:

As much as I'm not super interested in it, the next logical step would be LOTR.

I don't see how that would be much different from warhammer except it's missing some of the fun stuff

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm definitely getting 3 and am interested in both having separate factions for the different chaos gods and also playable chaos dwarves, but to a random gamer who isn't big on Warhammer lore neither one of those is as obvious a sell as elves and dark elves or humans and orcs. I don't think it'll be a total poo poo show or anything, but I do think it'll sell worse than the other two for sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I suspect they frontloaded all the awesome stuff to 1 and 2 because, hey, 3 might not sell

I bet 3 will just be CHAOS END TIMES with a bunch of chaos themed races like dwarves and a giant whole world map and then a year further down the road you'll be able to buy EVERYTHING for sixty bucks and people will continue to do so for a decade

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

just having 3 not sell well will still be ok since the bundle packages in the future will still milk money out of that

unless they make some really nice marketing videos about the third games races since ogres, chaos dwarves, daemons, and ______ seems like a pretty easy marketing video

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Might be a reason to hope for Cathay/Nippon in #3.

Gives some far east human factions to advertise.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I'm still gonna buy 3 because I'm a shameless consumer whore and it's not like anybody else is making Total War games for me to play. However, Chaos is the most boring poo poo in all of the Warhammer lores combined and I'll be amazed if they can sweeten the pot enough to make it worth a $60 purchase.

Oh boy, I can play as the angry guys with axes, the rapey guys with axes, the filthy guys with axes, or the insane guys with axes.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 17, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You'll also be able to play as the big hungry guys with axes and the small slaving guys with axes. True diversity

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

I'm still gonna buy 3 because I'm a shameless consumer whore and it's not like anybody else is making Total War games for me to play. However, Chaos is the most boring poo poo in all of the Warhammer lores combined and I'll be amazed if they can sweeten the pot enough to make it worth a $60 purchase.

Oh boy, I can play as the angry guys with axes, the rapey guys with axes, the filthy guys with axes, or the insane guys with axes.

Chaos is perfectly fine in 40k, they become much more sympathetic when they are actively undermining and fighting against an ultrafascist space empire that would make Heinlein blush

They are probably the second least interesting bad guy faction in fantasy though

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

New Butt Order posted:

Eh, I think it's more that Warriors of Chaos is boring.

Daemons of Chaos, which is what 3 will feature, are plenty fun imo. I don't blame anybody for getting bored with GRIMDARK SPACE MARINE VIKINGS but having fully fleshed out God specific Daemon armies should provide some spectacles.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pretty sure Daemons and Ogres are a lock for TW3, since they're the final two factions with 8th edition army books. Given the Ogre Kingdoms' location, it means the map would be expanding east, which slots in the Chorfs nicely as that's their territory too. The problem is who would be the final faction? Assuming they want a "good" race to contrast the two pretty evil races and one neutral one, I would think Kislev expanded to a full faction fits the bill. Same general area, and they used to have an army book way back when. Seems a lot more ikely than Cathay or Nippon, imo.

I'm just hoping my man Golgfag Maneater makes it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

LordAbaddon posted:

Chaos is perfectly fine in 40k, they become much more sympathetic when they are actively undermining and fighting against an ultrafascist space empire that would make Heinlein blush

They are probably the second least interesting bad guy faction in fantasy though

Who's the least interesting?