Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January titles!

Kameradschaft
Westfront 1918
I, Daniel Blake
The Breakfast Club
Young Mr. Lincoln (Blu/DVD upgrade - new 4K restoration)
Claude Autant-Lara: Four Romantic Escapes from Occupied France (Eclipse)

The Breakfast Club will have 50 minutes of deleted scenes and outtakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like a 3 movie month for me between Breakfast Club, Westfront and Young Mr Lincoln.

I’m really curious what the extra material for the Breakfast Club is like.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Egbert Souse posted:

Finally, someone else here who's seen the Pierre Etaix set! While you can see some influence from Tati, Etaix' films are pretty much mainlined homages to Keaton (The Suitor), Chaplin and Fellini (Yoyo), and Bunuel (Le Grand Amour). In fact, he collaborated on most of his films with Jean-Claude Carriere, who wrote/co-wrote most of Bunuel's 60s/70s films.

For sure! Etaix even explains in one of the intros that Yoyo was basically his attempt at making 8 1/2. I used the Tati comparison because they were of a similar time period (and even worked together), plus the set is similarly comprehensive.

And as to your list - I've been eyeing Lonesome for a while now. The color sequences are supposed to be astounding. And yes, The Gold Rush is an absolutely amazing edition. I think it's my favorite of Chaplin's features (the 1925 version, of course), and the bonus features included are great.

FancyMike posted:

I think you're kind of under-selling this one. It's very good and definitely worth a watch as more than just a lesser work by a great director. I liked it a lot and want to buy the whole set even though it's the only one I've seen from it.

Yeah, in hindsight, you're right...it's a good film, but I just found the other five in the set more to my tastes. (Plus, if I'm being honest, I ran out of ways to say things in these lengthy write-ups by number 10.)

And boy howdy, am I glad to see the Eclipse series is back. I don't own too many of them, but I'm really happy they exist regardless.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Accidentally posted this in the regular blu ray thread:

Whiny pissboy gatekeeping snobs complaining about Breakfast Club in the Collection is fuel to my dark heart.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm glad the only female crush I've ever had is finally in the collection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TBC will pay for obscure stuff. I bet it’ll be their best-selling release of all time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any idea what time the sale should start?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any idea what time the sale should start?

It's live.

E: I picked up

Secret Sunshine
Stalker
Jules and Jim
David Lynch : The Art Life
Rashomon
Barry Lyndon

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My haul:

Barry Lyndon
Odd Man Out
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wasn't going to buy any, instead I ended up with:

Fire Walk With Me
The Lure
Vampyr
Multiple Maniacs
Straw Dogs
Blood Simple
Diabolique

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MacheteZombie posted:

Wasn't going to buy any, instead I ended up with:

Fire Walk With Me
The Lure
Vampyr
Multiple Maniacs
Straw Dogs
Blood Simple
Diabolique

Blood Simple is one of the best debut films I've ever seen.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Ended up with

The Lure
Vampyr
Black Narcissus
Gold Rush

Already had FWWM on pre-order so that should tide me over until these arrive.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Barry Lyndon
Vampyr (Blu)
The Lure

The last two just in time for Halloween. :spooky:

Almost got Carnival of Souls, but already saw it twice this year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There should be another B&N sale in November, correct?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There should be another B&N sale in November, correct?

Yeah, I think a B&N employee leaked to the Reddit that it's scheduled to start November 1st

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
But you won't get Criterion loyalty points! (spend 500, get 50 back haha)

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Blind-bought Marketa Lazarova based on the recommendations here, I vaguely recognized the title but didn't know anything about it, I've been really into medieval history lately and this sounds pretty great! Also picked up Solaris and The Piano Teacher, gonna have a great time at the movies! :emo:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Can't buy them yet but I'll be picking up Certified Copy
Days of Heaven
Kwaidan

With Kwaidan being a blind buy but all signs pointing to me enjoying it.

E: went with The Great Beauty instead of Days.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I can't recommend Othello and Barry Lyndon enough on the merit of the films themselves.

If you're iffy about Othello because Orson Welles stars at the Moor, he plays it absolutely non-stereotypical and not even close to looking like he's in blackface. It's also a gorgeous film that looks nearly flawless on Criterion's restoration.

Also, Barry Lyndon is the opposite of a stuffy period drama. It's possibly the most beautifully photographed film ever made, but it's also very, very funny. I can't really pick a favorite Kubrick, but this is the one that completely surprised me of surpassing every notion I had about it. Three hours that will breeze by.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Grabbed Videodrome on blu-ray (my dad got me the DVD version in high school and it's looking a little beat up after a decade).

First threesome I had, one of the guys suggested I bring a movie to watch beforehand. I brought Videodrome with me. At the end they sat silent for a little bit then one of them said "that was loving awful."

We still did it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

warez posted:

Grabbed Videodrome on blu-ray (my dad got me the DVD version in high school and it's looking a little beat up after a decade).

First threesome I had, one of the guys suggested I bring a movie to watch beforehand. I brought Videodrome with me. At the end they sat silent for a little bit then one of them said "that was loving awful."

We still did it.

ahahaha this is incredible, bless

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I guess Videodrome is a better Criterion movie to watch during a threesome than, let's say, Night and Fog or Shoah

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Egbert Souse posted:

I guess Videodrome is a better Criterion movie to watch during a threesome than, let's say, Night and Fog or Shoah

It's a great one to watch if you have cigarettes and sewing needles handy.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
“‘Long live the new flesh’ I said before I devoured his rear end.”

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Have they released In The Realm Of The Senses yet?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

warez posted:

We still did it.

Did someone at least yelled out long live the flesh during it?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

warez posted:

We still did it.

If there ever was a time to show Salo...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

With less than 20 minutes to go in the sale (:v:) I grabbed A Night to Remember, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Godzilla.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been eyeing A Night To Remember for some reason. I think I'll get that and Blood Simple next month.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If there ever was a time to show Salo...

Wouldn’t that be during dinner, before the orgy?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Decided to double dip at the last minute:

Repo Man
Ghost World
Master of the House

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I got Throne of Blood, which I'd seen a long time ago, and Tokyo Drifter, which is a blind buy. Also I allllmost got Good Morning, I may have to get that in November in B&N's sale.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I liked both of those more than Good Morning

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stay the gently caress away from the Blu Ray megathread if you don't want to see poor treatment of a criterion.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got Jules and Jim from the sale and the digipack is beat to poo poo. Has anyone gotten a replacement through criterion? I'm debating if it's even worth it considering I only paid 20 bucks.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Cloks posted:

I got Jules and Jim from the sale and the digipack is beat to poo poo. Has anyone gotten a replacement through criterion? I'm debating if it's even worth it considering I only paid 20 bucks.

Yeah, you can email them - I had at least one replaced in the past. I don't have the contact info for the right person at hand, but someone else here will for sure.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i knew a guy who threw away all his cases and keeps his dvds and blurays in a cd binder

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I feel ill reading that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

He ruined the resale value but I sympathize with the space he must save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
it was rather convenient, if you wanted to watch a movie with a group hed just show up with his whole library and you could just flip thru and decide. this was before netflix was a thing.