Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I can't put my finger on why, but for some reason this just seems like a weird prank to me. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Safety Biscuits posted:

I can't put my finger on why, but for some reason this just seems like a weird prank to me. :iiam:

I mean, it's not like DXV ever claimed Dominion was done and over for good; if expansions keep selling, I'd love for him to keep knocking them out

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

I mean, it's not like DXV ever claimed Dominion was done and over for good; if expansions keep selling, I'd love for him to keep knocking them out

Oh no, this is a totally weird response to a legit announcement... Something about it seems weird to me, that's all. The actual information makes it look cool as hell.

If there's 33 kingdom cards and the Copper replacements, we've accounted for 405 cards, plus a few more for kingdom victory cards. There must be a lot of upgradeable cards and stuff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Assuming hexes/boons are roughly equivalent to curses/ruins that would account for a bunch since they would need what, 40 or 50?

Also there could be more alt VP which have 12 per pile but I actually kinda doubt that since it seemed a ton of the ideas have already been done, or done as landmarks. More likely piles with extra cards like Port/Rats. And yea more upgradables.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Assuming hexes/boons are roughly equivalent to curses/ruins that would account for a bunch since they would need what, 40 or 50?

I thought this at first, but if there are equal numbers of hexes and boons, 95 spare cards aren't enough. Also you could end up with a curser/looter/hexer game with three different junkers, which sounds brutal. I wonder if they might be one-shots like Spoils, but with negative effects for hexes maybe?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

I thought this at first, but if there are equal numbers of hexes and boons, 95 spare cards aren't enough. Also you could end up with a curser/looter/hexer game with three different junkers, which sounds brutal. I wonder if they might be one-shots like Spoils, but with negative effects for hexes maybe?

Yeah I was thinking on this more and I agree. My initial theory was that they were like super curses that clogged up your deck but you could get rid of them, like "-2 vp, discard a card, if you do you may trash this". But this would just mean that you would need 50 of those cards and most games they would quickly migrate from the pile to player decks to the trash. If they were like Spoils, you could have significantly less of them (say 15), and there would be a more interesting tug of war going back and forth, and trashing them through some other means would be actually worthwhile.

Honestly I'm really excited to see what this stuff all does. For example, Night cards seemed straightforward to me: you play them after your buy phase so they must be cards that set up for your next turn or create an effect that lasts during other players turns. But then I realized that they would basically be durations in that case, so now I am trying to wrack my brain to figure out what they could be (maybe they do something based off what you did during your turn? so if you played no other action cards you get a bonus, or if you had money left over, etc?) I'm pretty glad the announcement was relatively close to the date, hopefully there are no major delays and we get to find out about this stuff in a little under 2 months.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just won a game by playing 9 coins and buying a Curse to drain the last pile and nothing else. These are the moments that make me love this game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CaptainRightful posted:

Just won a game by playing 9 coins and buying a Curse to drain the last pile and nothing else. These are the moments that make me love this game.

My favourite of those is and always will be Ambassadoring the last Colonies out for victory. Here, have 10 points each. Oh, you still lost?

Aww.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So for Dominion Online, attempting to pay for a subscription from the US takes me to an European payment site. Is it possible to pay with an US credit card? Any additional fees or anything? Just wanted to figure this out before paying.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roluth posted:

So for Dominion Online, attempting to pay for a subscription from the US takes me to an European payment site. Is it possible to pay with an US credit card? Any additional fees or anything? Just wanted to figure this out before paying.

Other than maybe an extra couple cents due to conversion, there's no extra fees for using a US card

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Opening double Ambassador with Quest on the board is loving extremely nasty.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually I ran a few test games with Quest and the 4/3 attacks that are vicious, but also have limited reward. It's definitely an accelerator, and lets you stock up on more of those attacks than you normally would, using collisions to get low cost Gold. The problem is that the AI I was playing against isn't smart enough to realize that it can discard Curses to also get cheap Gold, so I feel like maybe it works better with hand reducers and non-Curse junkers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I had a game this morning with Lurker and Hunting Grounds. My opponent was not prepared for how fast I piled. Not even a little.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toshimo posted:

I had a game this morning with Lurker and Hunting Grounds. My opponent was not prepared for how fast I piled. Not even a little.

All of those on-trash interactions with Lurker are wonderful. $2 is a competitive spot, but I think Lurker is one of my favorites in it.

edit: I'd be curious to see two custom Lurker AIs square off. Having both players go for the pile strategy could make the game end in... five turns, maybe? I'm thinking that at that point it might be worth it to try and snag one Province, especially if you're P2, or get an unlucky third shuffle.

Thinking about it a little more, it's a similar problem to a Duke / Duchy race, because it's a super powerful strategy that's easy to mirror, and is therefore attractive to both players given that they both understand the concept. It's a question of best positioning yourself to stop the race for economy (in this case stacking your deck with Lurkers) and knowing when to do certain things (trigger piles, stop buying lurkers, make key other buys to give yourself an edge).

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 18, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love the Lurker/Rats combo because there are a poo poo ton of Rats to burn with it and it helps during those early turns when your Lurkers don't collide and you don't want your opponent (assuming they are smart enough to play Lurker properly) to grab the card you actually want.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://dominionstrategy.com/2017/09/18/sentry-how-to-play-it-and-what-it-teaches-us-about-dominion/

New DS article up about Sentry. I think it's a pretty good write-up, and Sentry is indeed very good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a pretty interesting synergy. Groundskeeper gives +VP on any gain, so a deck with Altar and a reasonable multipurpose VP kingdom card (I discovered it with island) basically lets you create a thin deck that every turn will effectively either build up the Groundskeeper engine, or result in a huge VP payoff as you Altar an Island into an Island, or into a Duchy or whatever. The board didn't have +draw or +action, so I'm sure that with some work and two Altars working simultaneously, you could create a monstrous deck. This is also playing against a big money AI, so it might be too slow of a strategy against a real player.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was thinking: anyone interested in a Dominion card design challenge? I don't know that there would even be judging or whatever, just a chance for everyone to design 1 to 3 cards.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sorry dude, seems like we're the only ones following the thread at the moment. On the bright side - Nocturne spoiler/previews are starting at the end of this week!

sector_corrector posted:

I found a pretty interesting synergy. Groundskeeper gives +VP on any gain, so a deck with Altar and a reasonable multipurpose VP kingdom card (I discovered it with island) basically lets you create a thin deck that every turn will effectively either build up the Groundskeeper engine, or result in a huge VP payoff as you Altar an Island into an Island, or into a Duchy or whatever. The board didn't have +draw or +action, so I'm sure that with some work and two Altars working simultaneously, you could create a monstrous deck. This is also playing against a big money AI, so it might be too slow of a strategy against a real player.

Yeah, the gain option is really nice although can be hard to combo well since cheap VP usually gets snatched up quick. Like Ironworks + Island/Mill would be incredible but good luck having any of the VP left by the time you get enough Groundskeepers to make it worth it. Remodels are a good option to get the higher cost stuff like Harem/Nobles (or even Province obviously).

I did have a fun combo with Groundskeeper + Inheritance + extra buys to get a shitload of estates for extra points that were also actions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm still following :v: Just don't play with the new stuff that much so not much to post. Also I don't really know enough to do a card design challenge :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Following, but well and truly out of regular play. Didn't even know a new set was due.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, the gain option is really nice although can be hard to combo well since cheap VP usually gets snatched up quick. Like Ironworks + Island/Mill would be incredible but good luck having any of the VP left by the time you get enough Groundskeepers to make it worth it. Remodels are a good option to get the higher cost stuff like Harem/Nobles (or even Province obviously).

I did have a fun combo with Groundskeeper + Inheritance + extra buys to get a shitload of estates for extra points that were also actions.

Yeah, the bot is pretty dumb about Alternate VP, but the good thing is that it works decently well with Duchy. I think both players mirroring the strategy would probably 3 pile most games, but against big money you can get a winning score in about 17 turns without buying a Province. It makes me wish I was savvy enough to write a bot to test it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry dude, seems like we're the only ones following the thread at the moment. On the bright side - Nocturne spoiler/previews are starting at the end of this week!

I still haven't decided if I'm getting Nocturne or not, hopefully the previews make it clear. If not I can just rent online for a month and then decide! (Seriously, I love the payment model for Dominion Online. Cheap enough to just get a month when I'm in a Dominion mood, not tied down to make me feel "gotta play nothing but Dominion to get 'value'" like my old WoW friends had)

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

rchandra posted:

I still haven't decided if I'm getting Nocturne or not, hopefully the previews make it clear. If not I can just rent online for a month and then decide! (Seriously, I love the payment model for Dominion Online. Cheap enough to just get a month when I'm in a Dominion mood, not tied down to make me feel "gotta play nothing but Dominion to get 'value'" like my old WoW friends had)

I play Dominion Online almost every day and haven't paid anything yet since the rollover from the lovely previous version! If you play competitive, you get access to every expansion your competitor owns, so I still see the new, weird poo poo I don't understand in small doses.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on when Cornucopia/Guilds will see a reprint? The current prices for it are insane.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just had a very satisfying win with Candlestick Maker, Baker, and Bishop on the board + Obelisked Hireling. He went Ironworks early and I went Bishop. He also kept playing his Hirelings while I Bishoped them. We ended with 0 victory cards a piece and I crushed him on VPs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
First teaser for Nocturne went out. We now know the names of all the Kingdom cards.

Bard, Blessed Village, Cemetery, Changeling, Cobbler, Conclave, Crypt, Cursed Village, Den of Sin, Devil's Workshop, Druid, Exorcist, Faithful Hound, Fool, Ghost Town, Guardian, Idol, Leprechaun, Monastery, Necromancer, Night Watchman, Pixie, Pooka, Raider, Sacred Grove, Secret Cave, Shepherd, Skulk, Tormentor, Tracker, Tragic Hero, Vampire, Werewolf

EDIT 1: Actual card previews coming on Monday

EDIT 2: If anyone else uses the nice spielgeek dividers, he's already confirmed that he'll be making Nocturne ones, which eases my mind.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 21, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Best of all the teaser was a Sporcle quiz, dammit. Any guesses on which cards done what? Apart from the obvious, I'd say the Tragic Hero is a Night card, and I hate Leprechaun already.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we know for sure one way or the other if Nocturne includes Events and/or Landmarks?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My guess for Cursed Village is some sort of super-village (like 3 actions and 2 cards) that also gains a Curse, and maybe even swaps itself for it. Something that you can play to set off a mega-turn, but also need to be careful with.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cursed Village - Action/Duration - +3 Actions - At the start of your next turn, -1 Action.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's weird to call a card "Cursed" if it doesn't involve Curses.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starting a turn with 0 actions (absent Fishing Village or some other duration) seems against the spirit of Dominion, but maybe. It's thematically consistent with Ruined Village, anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

It's weird to call a card "Cursed" if it doesn't involve Curses.

No Dominion card that involves Curses is called "Cursed" anything.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

No Dominion card that involves Curses is called "Cursed" anything.

No Dominion card has been called "Cursed" anything until now. My point is that Curses have been a game mechanic since the very beginning and the English language is full of adjectives. Why use that one if it doesn't involve that core mechanic?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any cards that distribute Curses to each player? I'm pretty sure no. I could see that being potential mechanic.

I could also see a new type of sandbag card, similar to Ruins, being part of the set.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

No Dominion card has been called "Cursed" anything until now. My point is that Curses have been a game mechanic since the very beginning and the English language is full of adjectives. Why use that one if it doesn't involve that core mechanic?
Very few Dominion veterans will be confused, because "Cursed" isn't a naming convention for cards that Curse. Very few Dominion newcomers will be playing with Nocturne in the first place, since it is an expansion. Pretty much everybody's going to have to do what they always do: read the cards, because Dominion card names give little or no information per se across all expansions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

homullus posted:

Very few Dominion veterans will be confused, because "Cursed" isn't a naming convention for cards that Curse. Very few Dominion newcomers will be playing with Nocturne in the first place, since it is an expansion. Pretty much everybody's going to have to do what they always do: read the cards, because Dominion card names give little or no information per se across all expansions.

I'm confused, because the card names frequently tell you quite a lot about the card. You haven't noticed the stuff like "cards named Village generally give you two actions"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
First preview is up

Starting at 6PM UTC, you can play with Nocturne cards on Dominion.games. There will be a matchmaking option that gives you 8 random kingdom cards and 2 of the day's preview cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Night looks simple and fun enough.

I like how much design space there still is around this game to add more and more simple mechanics that implement well into the base gameplay.