Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Two movies from the late 90s - Anaconda and Lake Placid. If these were made today, they'd be Sy Fy originals (and they'd probably have the same casts and budgets :v:), but in the late 90s, they went out in theatres and they made loads of money. I think that's funny in a strange way. Those must have been the last movies like that.

Tremors as well, which today would be done with the shittiest cgi imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ryonguy posted:

Tremors as well, which today would be done with the shittiest cgi imaginable.

Actually they kept making sequels, and a series, well into the schlock-sci-fi/horror era and managed a pretty decent blend of practical and CGI effects.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that the 1999 tv movie Primal Force probably would have had a theatrical release if it had featured a bigger name in the lead role than Ron Perlman.

(This is the movie where Ron Perlman knife fights a mutated baboon and it's one of my all-time favourite cheap-rear end genre schlock B-movies.)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually they kept making sequels, and a series, well into the schlock-sci-fi/horror era and managed a pretty decent blend of practical and CGI effects.
Yeah. Saw the second one, I think I started the third one but gave up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In fact, I think the most recent Tremors movie came out last year and there's another one being made at the moment.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
There's also a (second) Syfy Tremors TV series filming now, with Kevin Bacon coming back as Val.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wait, what?! :stwoon:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
My stepfather was an alcoholic piece of poo poo, but bless him for renting or taking us to see every weird Sci-Fi movie that came out in the 90s. It was a magical time.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
This wasn't made in the 90's, but it's being a kid with a computer in the 90's in a nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cPr6LC8MM

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what?! :stwoon:

Same, but imagine my emoticon is bigger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember how, between The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and Gone In 60 Seconds, Nicolas Cage was somehow one of the biggest action stars in the world for a couple of years in the late 90s?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how, between The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and Gone In 60 Seconds, Nicolas Cage was somehow one of the biggest action stars in the world for a couple of years in the late 90s?

Which relative of his is a major hollywood player again? I can never remember all the nepotism ties in that industry.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

Which relative of his is a major hollywood player again? I can never remember all the nepotism ties in that industry.

Francis Ford Coppala is his uncle, but Nic changed his last name, saying he didn't want to ride on that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fact, I think the most recent Tremors movie came out last year and there's another one being made at the moment.

Tremors 2, 3, & 4, while not as good as the original, are still fun owing to the fact that the writers of the first one are involved in the rest of them. 5 is utter poo poo since they ditched them, and decided to get rid of the comedy bits. Plus they added Jamie Kennedy to the cast.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Davros1 posted:

Tremors 2, 3, & 4, while not as good as the original, are still fun owing to the fact that the writers of the first one are involved in the rest of them. 5 is utter poo poo since they ditched them, and decided to get rid of the comedy bits. Plus they added Jamie Kennedy to the cast.

But you repeat yourself

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grassy Knowles posted:

But you repeat yourself

I liked Malibu's Most Wanted. :smith:

"PIT BULL PUPPIES!"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Randaconda posted:

I liked Malibu's Most Wanted. :smith:

"PIT BULL PUPPIES!"

I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to post a picture of your av now?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to post a picture of your av now?

I think that's only when I say I like/dislike some sort of food, but I'm not sure, since I obviously don't do it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Francis Ford Coppala is his uncle, but Nic changed his last name, saying he didn't want to ride on that.

Well that makes sense, Coppala is well known to despise nepotism.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

:golfclap:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Lazy Game Reviews talking about the Zip Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBhEaMp8mw

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Two movies from the late 90s - Anaconda and Lake Placid. If these were made today, they'd be Sy Fy originals (and they'd probably have the same casts and budgets :v:), but in the late 90s, they went out in theatres and they made loads of money. I think that's funny in a strange way. Those must have been the last movies like that.

How dare you forget the cinematic tour de force that was Snakes on a Plane <:mad:>

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Randaconda posted:

Which is a load of crap because everyone would figure out who he is really quickly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ryonguy posted:

IDGI. Is Coppala a notorious namewhore?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Are those OJ Simpson pogs? :vince:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Iron Crowned posted:

Are those OJ Simpson pogs? :vince:

I probably still have this thing in a box somewhere

Collector's edition slammer. Probably worth millions by now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neito posted:

IDGI. Is Coppala a notorious namewhore?

Google: Coppala, Sofia, Godfather 3

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roosevelt posted:

I have a Jurassic Park slammer somewhere.

Pogs are somehow the most 90's of fads. I remember for that short time in 93/94 there was an actual store in my local mall that was dedicated to nothing but pogs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Alaois posted:

Google: Coppala, Sofia, Godfather 3

So many of you posted info about the family, but you all posted the same drat mistake.
The name is spelled Coppola

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a Jurassic Park slammer somewhere.

Pogs are somehow the most 90's of fads. I remember for that short time in 93/94 there was an actual store in my local mall that was dedicated to nothing but pogs.

I think every mall (where they still have customers) has that store that opens with the fads and goes out of business and next month they're back up with a new owner selling snap bracelets. They're probably all vape shops for the time being.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

About ten, fifteen years ago, there was a shop at noted DeadMall Rolling Acres Mall that only sold grillz. I laughed for a bit, then did what everyone else did at that mall and left without buying anything.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

But you repeat yourself
I saw Jamie Kennedy live once. It was awful.

Roosevelt posted:

$23.95 for the slammer with a Matchbox white Bronco https://www.ebay.com/itm/OJ-Simpson-Pog-Slammer-Brass-The-Chase-6-17-94-Bonus-OJ32-Matchbox-White-Bronco-/322640733911

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this scam

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I forgot that Nintendo went through this era of really surreal, in-your-face and kinda gross-out ads.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Oct 18, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I have a can still frozen, sadly in the last couple years it's ruptured and is slowly leaking. :rip: The Last OK Soda

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a can still frozen, sadly in the last couple years it's ruptured and is slowly leaking. :rip: The Last OK Soda

I don't think it's OK anymore :ohdear:.

Neito posted:

I forgot that Nintendo went through this era of really surreal, in-your-face and kinda gross-out ads.

Gross-out humour wasn't limited to Nintendo, it was A Thing in the 90's across the board.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think it's OK anymore :ohdear:.

20 years is pretty good for being frozen in a block of ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS