Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I bet it turns out her brother is still alive after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

socialsecurity posted:

I got the impression that she knew after hearing him tell the story but chose to say nothing about it.

She still blames Amaram, so I highly doubt it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

She still blames Amaram, so I highly doubt it.

If Kal told her I suspect she wouldn't be mad, since he'd include the full story, including what Amaram did to him in detail, and then Shallan will have closure and STILL be mad at Amaram.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I want a shoulder chicken now.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The wording is instructive, something about "taking the pain away" so maybe the curse/boon mechanic figures he can have the memories back (slowly, to manage the potential pain) now that he's together with Navani.

He's wearing a watch that Navani made for him, which includes a fabrial that absorbs pain

Also,

Mraize's 'chicken' sounds like a tropical bird; is he from Warbreaker land? I can't remember for the life of me

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
There's another story that brings to mind tropical birds: Sixth of Dusk

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fezz posted:

poo poo you're right. They also have a bond with their, well I guess partner is the word. That would be perfect for doing sneaking around and sketchy poo poo

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I believe even less that the parshmen spren is a voidspren

Syl was probably just guessing in the same paragraph that she calls the yellow-spren a Voidspren she also repeatedly refers to it as "he". I think it's a very old Adonalsium spren, so old it doesn't fall into either Odium or Honor/Cultivation's camps

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Subvisual Haze posted:

Syl was probably just guessing in the same paragraph that she calls the yellow-spren a Voidspren she also repeatedly refers to it as "he". I think it's a very old Adonalsium spren, so old it doesn't fall into either Odium or Honor/Cultivation's camps

Thats really far out there for theories.

I'd just guess it was the spren for one of the parshman who's a radiant, Syl is just ignorant of much of her kind, like pattern.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats really far out there for theories.

I'd just guess it was the spren for one of the parshman who's a radiant, Syl is just ignorant of much of her kind, like pattern.

Do we know which of the Radiant orders is associated with earth magic? This spren gives Kwame from Captain Planet his powers.

Edit: Perhaps she is a Stoneward spren. The wiki says their Shardplate is amber and she is a yellow spren. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Order_of_Stonewards

Fezz fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 18, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fezz posted:

Considering Sixth of Dusk almost certainly takes place during the far future where Scadrial has developed FTL travel (I'm pretty sure they're visitors in the story), we have no idea what things would be like for that world in the 'present' time.

IIRC, if they're a worldhopper and from that world then the only other established(?) Shardworld that we won't have seen a character from yet is Threnody isn't it?

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering Sixth of Dusk almost certainly takes place during the far future where Scadrial has developed FTL travel (I'm pretty sure they're visitors in the story), we have no idea what things would be like for that world in the 'present' time.

IIRC, if they're a worldhopper and from that world then the only other established(?) Shardworld that we won't have seen a character from yet is Threnody isn't it?

I thought Threnody was Cosmere, but not actually a shard world. Was there ever actually a shard there?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CerealCrunch posted:

I thought Threnody was Cosmere, but not actually a shard world. Was there ever actually a shard there?

Ambition got shanked there, but wandered off elsewhere

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mossyfisk posted:

He's wearing a watch that Navani made for him, which includes a fabrial that absorbs pain

Well that's loving straightforward then

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

re: that short story Despite Sixth taking place far in the future and the preface indicating that people from Silverlight have never come back from there alive due to the extreme danger on Patji (sp?) where the perpendicularity is, someone knew the value of the planet a long time prior to the story taking place or the Scadrians would never spend the time and money to travel there in spaceships. When Shallan notices the bird, she also comments heavily on Mraize's scars. We know Mraize is a hunter and that he collects trophies from other invested planets. I don't think it's a stretch to think that he might have gone there to collect a bird (and perhaps been badly hurt in the process).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Fezz posted:

Do we know which of the Radiant orders is associated with earth magic? This spren gives Kwame from Captain Planet his powers.

Edit: Perhaps she is a Stoneward spren. The wiki says their Shardplate is amber and she is a yellow spren. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Order_of_Stonewards

The color isn't perfect though yellow would more closely match with Bondsmiths (Heliodor), the Stonewards were pretty regularly described as having a brown glow on their plate in flashbacks. Whether this always correlates that way to spren is a pretty open question though. Also, she stands on a pillar of stone, but isn't "stone-like" herself, that could be important. And how is she talking already? Most spren so far are pretty stupid when they first pass over to the physical side.

Last book Eshonai briefly had a yellow spren shaped like a comet that followed her around, I wonder if these two are related. That one wasn't Chatty Cathy though.

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009
Anyone else find themselves wondering if Taravangian actually has Chanarach’s HonorBlade and has given it to Malata?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cheradenine posted:

Anyone else find themselves wondering if Taravangian actually has Chanarach’s HonorBlade and has given it to Malata?

Per WoR, when Szeth was reporting back to T about fighting Kal for the first time, T placated him by saying he must have one of the other honorblades. "One of the other seven" was Szeth's reply. There were 10 heralds, Taln was in hell, so there were 9 honorblades. Minus Szeth's, that means there should be "the other eight" if there wasn't one missing.

So yeah, T might have that 9th one. What would be telling is if the new "Radiant" is cagey/doesn't mention much about her spren.

Although, Syl recognized the honorblade Szeth used on sight, so you'd think the other Spren (especially Renarin's) would be able to tell immediately

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
The Shin have 7 instead of 8 because Nalan apparently reclaimed his http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1178#1.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Although, Syl recognized the honorblade Szeth used on sight, so you'd think the other Spren (especially Renarin's) would be able to tell immediately

It's the blade from her order though, so that might be a factor

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

eszett engma posted:

The Shin have 7 instead of 8 because Nalan apparently reclaimed his http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1178#1.

Ahh...didn't see that Q&A. Does mean it's a lot less likely, then.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Here are two pieces of the inside art for Oathbringer:

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/20/check-out-the-stunning-endpapers-in-brandon-sandersons-oathbringer/

For the curious, Brandon has revealed who they are. They're Ishar and Shalash. And there will be pictures of Jezrien and Vedel as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This look fantastic.

Also, Don Dos Santos is machine. He's like the Sanderson of art. I see his cover art everywhere these days.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well, that secret is out at least

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Every Dalinar flashback chapter just begs for a Dynasty Warriors game.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

In today's Dalinar chapter please welcome special guest star Logen Ninefingers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think we've just reached the end of the Dalinar flashback supercut they released awhile back, right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yes, finally. I'm really looking forward to getting entirely new Dalinar flashbacks.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

More to the flashbacking? Let's read!

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/24/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-25-27/

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Here's a quick recap that someone was looking for earlier.

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/stormlight-archive-refresher/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jorenko posted:

Every Dalinar flashback chapter just begs for a Dynasty Warriors game.

Toss in Shardplate and it'd be like a Musou game with powered up Crackdown agents.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fezz posted:

Here's a quick recap that someone was looking for earlier.

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/stormlight-archive-refresher/

Oh this was perfect, thank you. Though it did remind me how much of an insufferable twat Shallan is, hope her character gets better in this one.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I thought she was fine in WOR, since she actually got to do stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

L-O-N posted:

I thought she was fine in WOR, since she actually got to do stuff.

Yeah honestly she was the better of the leads. Because she could like have fun and stuff.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And frankly I liked her dysfunction more than I liked Kaladin’s or Dalinar’s.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Well, Kaladin's, anyway. Dalinar's whole deal is ~mysterious wife~ thing which he can't remember so it's not really an issue, and his being blackout drunk when his brother got whacked. Which he regrets, but actually does stuff as a result of it. It's more of a motivator than a point of moping anguish.

Meanwhile, Kaladin's dysfunction....just makes him dysfunctional, mopey, and slows him down. It's realistic, but still not much fun to read about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BrandonSanderson.com has been putting up chapters from the first draft of The Way of Kings, and if you thought the final version of kaladin was passive, he's still a major action hero compared to the prototype version.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Oh god, those prototype chapters are just...so bad. At least, in comparison to the story we're actually getting.

Still better than twilight.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I really like Shallan now, but that might be mostly because Pattern is by far the best spren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shallan's schyzo episodes are unevering but I asume they are supposed to be. That aside I actually like her expect for when Brandon tries to do scatological " humor" with her.

I remember being annoyed by her on first read but in hindsight that was really just because I wanted to get back to the shattered plains stuff.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 26, 2017