Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you think Fallout 1 or 2 were good games you are sadly mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's true, they're really not, but I put like 85% of that blame on the UX. The story/world/rpg elements hold up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mind the walrus posted:

It's true, they're really not, but I put like 85% of that blame on the UX. The story/world/rpg elements hold up.

If you can get into them, they're great. I powered through most of Fallout 1 once on a trip in like 2009 and only realized I'd been playing all night when the hotel newspaper got slipped under the door. Whoops.

I'd definitely tried to play it before that and bounced off hard, though.

please don't doxx me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even for what they're trying to do the UX is really unintuitive and makes very simple stuff feel very hard. It's kind-of sad you get so many more enterprising fans doing remakes of Metroid II or whatever when a game that could really use it like Fallout 1 & 2 is completely untouched.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I bought a PS4 in 2015 hoping to try to get ‘in’ to video games again as a new hobby (yeah weird right?) and to relive my youth a bit since I was a big video game kid/teenager before pretty much quitting them in college and on (I had a genesis up to a PS2, though I did get a Wii for Christmas that I barely used). After having the PS4 for close to two years now, honestly I have to say the video game market is a shadow of its former self and they really aren’t for me anymore.

After reading the past 10 pages of this thread where most of you can’t shut up about Skyrim/Witcher 3/Fallout, this post is going to sound basic as hell; but gently caress it.

The games I got were in this order.

Uncharted trilogy as the bundle pack: awesome and fun and had a blast with each of them. 2 was the best.

CoD Blops 3: it was alright. Campaign was insultingly bad and I hated the unnecessary customization options. Multiplayer was kind of fun but I could tell I was playing against people who had been playing CoD games for years and I got owned all the time and never really got good unless I would spend several days playing. If I took a break for any extended period of time I immediately went back to sucking (yeah I know, get gud or whatever but gently caress you. I have a job and a life).

Madden 16: fun but again. It’s just Madden. Did have some fun and competitive online matches but quickly grew bored with it.

SFV: gently caress this game. There was no real single player mode when I was playing it, and the loving online mode drove me nuts. It’s too drat competitive and having your rank staring at you in the face the whole time as it fluctuates is entirely unnecessary. I was actually really into it at first since I loved fighting games; but found it a chore to play after a while and eventually just rage quit it.

Uncharted 4: liked it but not as much as the first 3.

Doom 2016: actually really enjoyed this one.

Dark Souls 3: no. Hell no. Biggest waste of 60 dollars I ever spent. I’d rather have used it to get a handjob from an ugly sex worker downtown. Played it for 3 days then deleted it off the hard drive.

A couple of free games off PS Plus: ok but really easy and fast. One noticeable exception was Let it Die, which I thought sounded fun but turned out to be some play to win scam. gently caress that.

King of Fighters whatever the new one was: played the tutorial once, looked too complicated, never touched it again (was a Christmas gift).

Battlefield 1: huge history nerd so I got it for the setting, having never played a BF game before. Enjoyed the hell out of the multiplayer and still play it today. The campaign mode was half assed but this is the best game I’ve had on PS4 easily.

Resident Evil 7: great game although the last few parts were kind of unnecessary and I don’t know why they had that choice at the 3/5 mark. Overall good though.

Prey: just never really could get into it. I beat it but the combat even at the beginning was frustrating as hell. Also how in the hell was I supposed to get through the last half of the game by actually fighting the enemies? They swamped each and every setting and I barely had enough ammo to fight a single enemy. Oh but I had plenty of Gloo gun ammo that’s for sure. I wound up mad dashing through most of it to avoid the enemies, which was surprisingly easy to do. Not sure if that was intentional or not but I beat it that way.

Sonic Mania: amazing for nostalgia purposes (Sonic kid growing up) but after my first run through I’m having a hard time picking it up again. I’m still working on a Knuckles run (ugh, gently caress Knuckles) and don’t really think getting the chaos emeralds is worth it. Once you see what’s there the fun dramatically drops.

So yeah not sure how unpopular an opinion this is but overall I’ve been mostly disappointed with what’s out there. I will keep up with new releases but rarely find anything worth playing. With the exception of Uncharted and Battlefield (which I wouldn’t have gotten if it weren’t set in the past) I haven’t found any new franchises I particularly enjoy and franchises I do enjoy from the past (mostly fighting games) have been mutated into abomination.

I think part of that is how the modern gaming industry seems obsessed with online play at the expense of well done first player modes. That in itself isn’t a bad thing but I find most online modes just way too competitive and that just kills my mood to play them (exception again being Battlefield, I loved the concept behind Conquest mode that I forced myself to get half way decent at it, the other online match styles can all eat poo poo though).

I don’t really have any plans on buying many more upcoming releases because nothing really looks appealing. Maybe I was just a dumb kid back then but I felt like with the Genesis-PS2 generations there was always a poo poo ton of options and usually a lot of diamonds in the rough. Now it just seems like everything is built on existing triple A franchises or are ‘indie games’ that are mostly poo poo.

That is my serious unpopular video game opinion.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh I forgot I also bought the Last of Us (good but not really sure what all the hype was about, Uncharted was/is better) and FIFA 17 (meh, even though I love soccer). Obviously those weren’t important or good enough for me to originally remember playing them.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You have some trash opinions, like thinking bf1 is the best game on ps4, but I mostly agree with you.

I'm just bewildered by the lack of balance and quality of console games today. Everything feels so rushed and unfinished, games' purpose today seem to just be pushing the customer into buying microtransactions and DLC, the base game doesn't even matter anymore.

I mean, in BF1 you can spawn directly in front of an enemy, or an enemy can spawn right behind you and his platoon can spawn on him. Remember when spawn camping and balance were actually important design issues for FPS developers to tackle?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There’s still diamonds in the rough but there’s a lot more crap out there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All the fallout games are good except that one console one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

Maybe I was just a dumb kid back then but I felt like with the Genesis-PS2 generations there was always a poo poo ton of options and usually a lot of diamonds in the rough. Now it just seems like everything is built on existing triple A franchises or are ‘indie games’ that are mostly poo poo.
You're not wrong, but you're not exactly right either. There are a ton of diamonds in the rough now, but you have to do way more work to find them because 90% are no longer coming through the same 3-4 publishing pipes.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

facebook jihad posted:

Oh I forgot I also bought the Last of Us (good but not really sure what all the hype was about, Uncharted was/is better) and FIFA 17 (meh, even though I love soccer). Obviously those weren’t important or good enough for me to originally remember playing them.

Last of Us has good narrative and emotional storytelling for a videogame, which puts it on the same narrative and emotional storytelling level as a comic book, which are also for children.

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010
Last of us had a ok plot but dragged on for way too long and had not so great shooting.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I've only really enjoyed Doom 2016, Total War Warhammer and Battlefield 1 and Overwatch over the last few years. Doom 2016 was probably the most pleasant surprise

Xcom was fun too whenever it came out. The rest of the games have looked insanely uninteresting

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Witcher 3 was quality but it took so long to do everything. I didn't like the world itself so trudging around it for hhhhhhhhhhhhoooourrrrrrsss was SO DULL. I quit probably halfway through. By then I still wasn't sure what the plot was apart from "find the girl, but also do one thousand quests of random nonsense before u do so"

It just took too long

too drat long

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

I mean, in BF1 you can spawn directly in front of an enemy, or an enemy can spawn right behind you and his platoon can spawn on him. Remember when spawn camping and balance were actually important design issues for FPS developers to tackle?

Yeah, Battlefield franchise has become inundated in stupid bullshit like this.

Spawn anywhere, squads make tanks invincible, air drop people everywhere so there is never a battle line, instant revive, unlimited healing/ammo from support classes. It's just bullshit from start to finish, most it involving squad mechanics just being too outrageously good.

It's actually why I like Battlefront (Star Wars Battlefield, basically) nowadays more. It's like Battlefield but without all the horse poo poo. No parachuting, no revive, very limited healing/repair, very limited Squad Bullshit. And most importantly playing solo doesn't condemn you to eternal domination by pre-made squads. Much better experience imo.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Eh, in my experience there's usually a very obvious frontline but the squad revive and spawn system allows the very few people who care about teamwork and don't want to mindlessly zerg in the huge grind on the frontlines to actually be able to get behind enemy lines and do some damage

I like the spawn systems a lot in BF1

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

that new game ELEX by the gothic dudes looks pretty cool?

:yeah: I'm looking forward to trying it out

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The most fun I've had on my PS4 has been spent playing a game that came out on the last gen consoles 4 years ago. loving GTA V.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The utter lack of focus on developing AI and challenging objectives has led to the stagnation of AAA gaming more than anything else, as all the focus goes into making the prettiest corridors to walk down. We hit the plateau for "acceptable 3D" for nearly any audience like 5 years ago, but there's still such a stupid arms race to have the best draw distance on foliage versus making a game that is snappy, responsive, and engaging.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fartbox posted:

Eh, in my experience there's usually a very obvious frontline but the squad revive and spawn system allows the very few people who care about teamwork and don't want to mindlessly zerg in the huge grind on the frontlines to actually be able to get behind enemy lines and do some damage

I like the spawn systems a lot in BF1

Yeah I don’t see the issues others are complaining about. You can voluntarily spawn via a squad member into a firezone but you’re likely to be killed before you get your bearings. And yeah you can spawn to an objective that’s being captured but that’s all dependent on your squad’s location. You are just as likely to find an advantageous squad point as you are to find complete poo poo and have to respawn in the middle of nowhere. I like it, and if my effort post above proves anything it’s that I don’t put up with stupid bullshit in games.

I pretty much only play in the support role and completely focus on resupplying my team and sneaking around to capture objectives, though I do enjoy a meat grinder every now and then. And a lot of the more recent levels (Verdun Heights especially comes to mind) are designed to have an objective in the middle of the level that is always going to be subject to heavy fire on both sides and tons of rapid deaths.

BF1 is good

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Witcher 3's wilderness would be better if the trees weren't blowing around like the entire world is being torn apart by a category 5 hurricane 24/7.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
BF1 is alright, not a fan of muddy brown textures, lovely spawning, loot boxes, and glitchy gameplay though so ymmv.

Exploring Witcher 3 is more boring than exploring TESIV: Oblivion.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The only good game is Croc. Spare me your bullshit equivocation, "but LAP your opinion is wrong and mine is better." No. You are loving wrong. CROC the loving CROCODILE

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Literally A Person posted:

The only good game is Croc. Spare me your bullshit equivocation, "but LAP your opinion is wrong and mine is better." No. You are loving wrong. CROC the loving CROCODILE

agreed

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I could run Croc off of a prebuilt Compaq from CompUSA back in 1996. It was indeed the game of Kings.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

mind the walrus posted:

The utter lack of focus on developing AI and challenging objectives has led to the stagnation of AAA gaming more than anything else, as all the focus goes into making the prettiest corridors to walk down. We hit the plateau for "acceptable 3D" for nearly any audience like 5 years ago, but there's still such a stupid arms race to have the best draw distance on foliage versus making a game that is snappy, responsive, and engaging.

I care about draw distance, but I think I'm the only one. I don't think many developers or critics care about it. Everyone talked about how amazing Gears of War looked when it first came out, and anything outside of a 2 foot radius looked like a blurry mess in that game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mind the walrus posted:

I could run Croc off of a prebuilt Compaq from CompUSA back in 1996. It was indeed the game of Kings.

;)::hf:;)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chrono Trigger is overrated as fuuuuck.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Chrono Trigger is overrated as fuuuuck.

gently caress off, this is the Croc thread now. No talk but croc talk.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

why does croc have mud on his feet there. is he a real rugged type?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

why does croc have mud on his feet there. is he a real rugged type?

he stomped a mudhole in sonics butch rear end and now hes walkin it dry

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Little-known-fact: Croc was the inventor of the shoe Crocs. Thus the name and his lack of need to appear in video games-- he reached perfection but the public wasn't ready, made his bank on a side project, and now chills poolside in LA laughing his rear end off while all the pedophiles get busted around him.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mind the walrus posted:

I could not agree more. Even destructible environments have taken a step backwards (remember Red Faction?) . Today I can’t even chip off most walls in a modern triple A shooter.

The best game for destructible environments today is Minecraft ! What the gently caress!

The big challenge a few years ago was supposed to be AI, but nope, let’s just add more shaders and poo poo even if the whole game is about pushing the controller forward in a corridor

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Good soup! posted:

:yeah: I'm looking forward to trying it out

i like it so far, the main character is a total jagoff with an awful voice actor and it's kind of great

also I'm watching American Horror Story and listening to you guys talk about Croc and a spooky noise in the show just sounded like a gobbo talking sped up and killed the mood

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Ratchet and Clank? Good video games.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Games should be linear, not open world, so developers don't need to spend their time making sure missions/quests/locations scale properly no matter what order you do them in (even then they never do it very wel) and can spend more time ensuring a smooth, curated, designed progression.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Just give me an HD Croc with swearing and tits

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fruit on the bottom posted:

Just give me an HD Croc with swearing and tits

Croc Nukem: Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Vegetable posted:

Games should be linear, not open world, so developers don't need to spend their time making sure missions/quests/locations scale properly no matter what order you do them in (even then they never do it very wel) and can spend more time ensuring a smooth, curated, designed progression.

I mostly agree with this, but open world games are the one with big scope and potential for the future. They've already come a long way. At some point we'll be playing games with competent AI directors, area generation and so on, and devs can focus on creating cool stories and a rounded experience.

Purely linear games aren't likely to get much better than the best examples we already have, imo. In the end, having a crafted story but available within an awesome world with freedom and the chance to 'make your own' stories is both a more appealing prospect and a grander target to aim at.

I'll take Dark Messiah over Oblivion any day of the week, sure, but in the end Oblivion is a paving stone on the road towards what games in the future will look like, while Dark Messiah is just a fun dead end. Giant game devs will be creating living, breathing worlds with their AAA titles in 2050. Linear games will be like the indie games of today. Like vignettes to novels.