Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Dry ice is even easier. My GF bought some for my birthday one year, we made drinks with it.

They've even started carrying dry ice in grocery stores around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unless you drink it liquid nitrogen isn't really that dangerous. You're not gonna freeze your hands off even if you put your hand in it, at most you'll get some frostbite and even then you really have to try.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RatHat posted:

Unless you drink it liquid nitrogen isn't really that dangerous. You're not gonna freeze your hands off even if you put your hand in it, at most you'll get some frostbite and even then you really have to try.

Letting the liquid nitrogen become gaseous nitrogen in a confined space can mess you up though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RatHat posted:

I have a few (careless) bartender friends and gently caress if every Towel Day some nerds don't get frostbrite from something.

e: gently caress that's carbon ice though. Sorry, I'm drunk.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Wh.. why are these things all over New York City? For what reason?

I work, and hang out in downtown Cleveland, OH, and I've never seen anything like that. Also, I'm happy about that because I'd have a hard time not messing with one after a bunch of beers.

Edit: Well crap, should've checked with Tom Scott first, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZqGU9iuq0

Edit^2: And, because I'm thinking way too much about this now, how would you get liquid nitrogen out? Doesn't it have to be, like, "decanted"? i.e. flip the whole cylinder upside down, and then open the valve? I have an oxy/acetylene torch with O2 and acetylene, but I'm not about to use those cylinders to find out.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The big ones I think have a tube that goes to the bottom so you open the valve and the gas at the top pushes it out. Little home- use ones you just take the lid off and pour.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
In the UK it's easy as hell to get LN2 delivered.

The hackspace I'm a member of picked up a 50l dewar cheap and setup a monthly refill service. It cost basically nothing, the money was pretty much paying for the special truck. They didn't ask any questions at all and we used it to make impromptu bottle rockets, made LEDs change colour by super cooling them and smashed pickles. One member picked up some superconductor stuff and we tried to quantum locking trick too.

It's a lot of fun.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I work, and hang out in downtown Cleveland, OH, and I've never seen anything like that. Also, I'm happy about that because I'd have a hard time not messing with one after a bunch of beers.

Edit^2: And, because I'm thinking way too much about this now, how would you get liquid nitrogen out? Doesn't it have to be, like, "decanted"? i.e. flip the whole cylinder upside down, and then open the valve? I have an oxy/acetylene torch with O2 and acetylene, but I'm not about to use those cylinders to find out.

As the popular saying goes, you haven't seen New York City until you've seen a manhole steaming.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This is how they make ice cream and cocktails now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11872399/Liquid-nitrogen-cocktail-Wine-bar-fined-100k-after-teenager-loses-stomach.html

It works the same way your other liquid dispensing gas cylinders work. the valve is connected to a tube that goes to the bottom of the cylinder. When you open the valve, the pressure in the container forces liquid through the tube. There is a safety valve on the top of the container to vent gas off if the pressure gets too high.

e: different use, same concept.

e: apparently those are to feed gas into phone lines to keep steam out or some poo poo. they just vent the expanding nitrogen gas into the lines.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 17, 2017

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

:stonk:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That happened to a buddy of mine but they used less asphalt, or it was that bullshit they tamp into potholes, and instead of fusing like the pic it filled all voids in the body & fairings with the road. It immediately solidified and he couldn't get it out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kind of amusing that they can run a cable across the bottom of the Atlantic without issue, but they can't run a phone line across NYC without it shorting out.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jetz0r posted:

Grocery stores around here have dry ice for a few dollars a pound. Definitely not hard to get a hold of that.

That is until the local kids discover dry ice bombs and hurt themselves or someone else.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

good dubbing, could probably get another couple of years out of them

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gee it looks like a Bloodborne monster fastened itself to your car, hope you haven't opened your inside eyes yet.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Tasha Yar wasn't enough, it's come back for more!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

DiHK posted:

Yasha Tar wasn't enough, it's come back for more!

How didn't I notice that earlier?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/stuartmilliner1/status/920403462227083264

weeeeeeee!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

DiHK posted:

Tasha Yar wasn't enough, it's come back for more!

:colbert:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

Here's a graphic based, apparently, on this thing.

I like how half of america doesn't even have a word for things going wrong.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

They do, it's just called Utah.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Half of America is basically empty.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

This happened to a major highway for evacuees leaving Houston and Beaumont during Harvey. For some reason the contractor had already dumped like truckloads of loose gravel all over the road they were supposed to be resurfacing which is already horrible in torrential rain, then by Wednesday morning there was tar all over the place. There's still tar on the roads in town.

But how cool would it be to know that you probably lost everything that you couldn't fit in your car and you were just trying to get to family in Nacogdoches or Shreveport so you could regroup and all of a sudden your car is ruined? Good job lovely contractor, way to go. Enjoy the lawsuits from the insurance companies.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

RyokoTK posted:

Gee it looks like a Bloodborne monster fastened itself to your car, hope you haven't opened your inside eyes yet.

Looks like one of the WAU monsters from Soma.

Ask me about my SPACE GUN.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Skinny King Pimp posted:

This happened to a major highway for evacuees leaving Houston and Beaumont during Harvey. For some reason the contractor had already dumped like truckloads of loose gravel all over the road they were supposed to be resurfacing which is already horrible in torrential rain, then by Wednesday morning there was tar all over the place. There's still tar on the roads in town.

But how cool would it be to know that you probably lost everything that you couldn't fit in your car and you were just trying to get to family in Nacogdoches or Shreveport so you could regroup and all of a sudden your car is ruined? Good job lovely contractor, way to go. Enjoy the lawsuits from the insurance companies.

So standard lowest bidder Texan road paving/repair/construction as usual?

:( One day mopac will be done, one day.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Zil posted:

So standard lowest bidder Texan road paving/repair/construction as usual?

:( One day mopac will be done, one day.

at least that one contractor will never get another contract I guess?

j/k they already dissolved that company and reformed under another name and none of the people in charge will ever actually get in trouble

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The user name makes it better

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big wind come, trucks get sleepy. trains get sleepy. Now everything's on fire.

This is all alberta in the last few hours.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

How to turn a sedan into a sports car.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Say Nothing posted:

How to turn a sedan into a sports car.

It's more of a compact, now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
definitely a drop top lowrider

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Skinny King Pimp posted:

May not be their fault.

Looks to me like that is cheap seal, and that is how it is supposed to be applied. (Not supposed to drive on it while it is curing.)

In which case I imagine the city or county's insurance may or may not foot the bill. (Due to ordering the evacuation.)

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Powershift posted:

Big wind come, trucks get sleepy. trains get sleepy. Now everything's on fire.

This is all alberta in the last few hours.

Holy poo poo.

Also the wind storm blew through BC this morning, heavy rain and wind, then an hour later blue skies.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

nuke me rocket man

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The NBA season kicked off tonight in grand style with a gruesome injury. Gordon Hayward, Celtics, broke his ankle. It's not pretty.

:nms: https://streamable.com/j4yf3 :nms:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

`Nemesis posted:

The NBA season kicked off tonight in grand style with a gruesome injury. Gordon Hayward, Celtics, broke his ankle. It's not pretty.

:nms: https://streamable.com/j4yf3 :nms:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

it's :yikes: in basketball form

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

As everyone recoils in horror, the guy in the white t-shirt stands for a better look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh dang, I'd seen this before but it was a shorter version which didn't show his young son walking underneath the stupidly placed ladder and then behind it. If he'd been standing there 10 seconds later he would have gotten all his teeth knocked out when it turned into a wacky battering ram.

Setting up that ladder like that was incredibly loving :psyduck: to start with, but doing something that reckless while your kid is in the immediate vicinity is :psyboom:

Edit: holy poo poo the full version is even better. Captain Shitforbrains forgot to take the extension cord with him so instead of climbing back down he got his kid to stand on the table and hand it to him. And after he falls the kid ambles back and just stands there with his hands on his hips staring at him. "Whatcha do that fer, pa?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8DI1kM6v0I