Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Tash-Kalar Etherweave page now has a lot more pictures and the rulebook as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, so the manual of Gloomhaven says that I should have 240 monster standees. I have (unless there are some hidden in the boxes) 236 and 4 white ones. Is there a monster count somewhere?

236 is correct for the second printing.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are all you german jerks getting copies?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kerro posted:

I haven't heard of this game before, but complex, tactical 2-player co-op is right up my alley. What's it like (artwork and theming aside, which.. yeah.. but I can look past that)

Played the game the other night. It's a decent enough DnD-like game but like you've probably noticed the game is ridiculously over-designed with mousepad material, sixteen custom dice per character, and dozens of poker chips to represent enemy and player health. The rules explanation is a slog and the random daily encounters can be brutal but the tactical gameplay flows pretty quickly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Thanks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tekopo posted:

The Tash-Kalar Etherweave page now has a lot more pictures and the rulebook as well.

You got to try this faction out, right? They look pretty hard to play well, but powerful. Is it a high risk/reward style?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

You got to try this faction out, right? They look pretty hard to play well, but powerful. Is it a high risk/reward style?
They are very combo-reliant and tend to be harder to play for newbies to the faction. You have to be careful in terms of how you play them because you don't have a lot of direct killing power, but have a lot of control over movement of heroics/upgrading commons to heroics so they rely on getting legendaries to supplement their killing power. You can totally screw yourself over if you warp something and then your opponent is able to disrupt your patterns to the extent that you are unable to warp again. I found the best way to deal with Etherweave was to continually disrupt them and aggressively destroy their patterns. You do get a lot of use out of flares though, since you can supplement them with warp effects. Start of testing the deck was too powerful, especially with legendary summoning, but it was curtailed to a pretty good level at end of testing.

So yeah, I think the deck is hard to play well because most of your power comes from being able to combo what is in your hand effectively. During testing we tended to avoid feast-or-famine balancing, but it is entirely possible to dig yourself in a hole with the deck. Then again, that can be said of most decks in TK.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How will it work drafting?

a_mandible fuckin loves drafting and I tried it out with her at VlaadaCon this year and she clobbered me.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Anybody played this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kidlovestigergames/tabula-rasa-a-colorful-pool-bag-building-game-of-c?ref=category_newest

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

How will it work drafting?

a_mandible fuckin loves drafting and I tried it out with her at VlaadaCon this year and she clobbered me.
It works like everything else works for drafting. If there aren't issues with drafting Everfrost, then Etherweave is in a similar boat.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Can confirm that Rivals for Catan is surprisingly decent, would play again

WE RIDE
Jul 29, 2003
Anyone played Lisboa? I'm very tempted to buy it. I've been finding myself more drawn to heavier, Euro-y games recently; I don't own anything as heavy as Lisboa and I'd really like to give it a try. Thoughts?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I backed the second continent kickstarter but it turns out if you want all possible expansions you are looking at a 250$ price tag.
That's not happening. Plus calculating shipping costs afterwards is stupid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hopper posted:

Welp, I backed the second continent kickstarter but it turns out if you want all possible expansions you are looking at a 250$ price tag.

It's a questionably good game from all of the very mixed reviews, but even if it's something you'd like it's way overpriced, especially considering what you get in the box vs something like Gloomhaven which is an embarrassment of value side by side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Guy in my group was in on the first 7th Continent KS, and just asked if anyone wants to play it before he sells it. I'm seeing a lot of people getting buyer's remorse before it even hits the table.

WE RIDE posted:

Anyone played Lisboa? I'm very tempted to buy it. I've been finding myself more drawn to heavier, Euro-y games recently; I don't own anything as heavy as Lisboa and I'd really like to give it a try. Thoughts?

It's very good, but I still prefer The Gallerist. Lisboa has several not-entirely-obvious rules - the one I missed was that you don't pay for the rubble you take off a Public Building site, but there are others.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 17, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I've played it before and thought it was great. But it's simply too expensive to pick up all expansions at this point. Might buy email used afterwards if I feel like it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hopper posted:

Unless someone's 100% convinced this is their game of the year before playing, I don't think new backers should purchase anything beyond the base game and the new expansion so they'll get all the stretch goals. The time investment might be an even bigger stretch than the cash investment, and realistically I don't think many people are going to play through every curse. Even if you end up absolutely loving the game and can't live without more, I think it's very very unlikely that they won't either kickstart this again someday, offer it on their webstore, or at the very least include option add-ons when they kickstart the next game using this system.

Once I convinced myself buying all the add-ons isn't necessary, I started feeling a bit more tempted to back instead of skipping it, but I'm still torn between doing that vs waiting to see if someone else steals the good stuff in this game and packages it in a more affordable game. Worst case scenario maybe they'll iron out some of the kinks people have with it by the time they do make the follow up game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The kickstarter was big enough and I've seen enough people post that they're buying it locally to think it won't be available on the secondary market in a year or two. I'll buy it and play it then.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kerro posted:

I haven't heard of this game before, but complex, tactical 2-player co-op is right up my alley. What's it like (artwork and theming aside, which.. yeah.. but I can look past that)

It's definitely dice chucky, but Ricky Royal did some videos for a campaign playthrough and it seems to have depth despite that.

The rules look fiddly but no more fiddly than other dungeon crawlers (like some of the better Gloomhaven videos I've seen still have many, many rules screw ups).

Also, it's already at 280k. It's gonna need more stretch goals.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's what I did, original game plus big expansion so I get the stretch goals. The GF and I both really enjoyed our playsession and will play it both just as and with other friends, but I also don't see us playing every single expansion, so I will leave my pledge as is. I am mainly baffled at the 250$ for a board game.

I mean I also backed Gloomhaven, blindly admittedly because my D&D group of teenage times has decided now with people having kids and jobs and stuff, we need a a game to play that doesn't require a DM and scenario creation, but the value of Gloomhaven is insanely good considering what you get.

With 7th continent, I just don't see it being worth 250$.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I picked up Tyrants of the Underdark half off at the FLGS fall auction, and if you like a little area control in your market row deckbuilder, it ain't half bad. The mechanic where-in you cash in your cards for points not only rewards what you should be doing anyway, ie dumping your starter cards, but can also score you a ton of points if you can bring yourself to nuke your expensive cards late in the game. I also like how the game is always played with two 40-card half decks, letting you mix up the game mechanics from game to game.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, especially at half off.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

jng2058 posted:

So I picked up Tyrants of the Underdark half off at the FLGS fall auction, and if you like a little area control in your market row deckbuilder, it ain't half bad. The mechanic where-in you cash in your cards for points not only rewards what you should be doing anyway, ie dumping your starter cards, but can also score you a ton of points if you can bring yourself to nuke your expensive cards late in the game. I also like how the game is always played with two 40-card half decks, letting you mix up the game mechanics from game to game.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, especially at half off.

I enjoy Tyrants quite a bit, but the expansion is trash. It actually brings good things to the table, but the quality is poo poo. The cards are a different make and glossed instead of matte. Impossible to integrate with the original cards.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SettingSun posted:

I enjoy Tyrants quite a bit, but the expansion is trash. It actually brings good things to the table, but the quality is poo poo. The cards are a different make and glossed instead of matte. Impossible to integrate with the original cards.

Well that sucks, I'd been about to go look for it. Thanks for the head's up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

WE RIDE posted:

Favorite game of the year so far and the best game Vital has done imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hopper posted:

Yeah that's what I did, original game plus big expansion so I get the stretch goals. The GF and I both really enjoyed our playsession and will play it both just as and with other friends, but I also don't see us playing every single expansion, so I will leave my pledge as is. I am mainly baffled at the 250$ for a board game.

I mean I also backed Gloomhaven, blindly admittedly because my D&D group of teenage times has decided now with people having kids and jobs and stuff, we need a a game to play that doesn't require a DM and scenario creation, but the value of Gloomhaven is insanely good considering what you get.

With 7th continent, I just don't see it being worth 250$.

While I think that price tag is completely bonkers too, and definitely won't be jumping all in if at all, in fairness there are a number of other games that would cost more than that if you added all their expansions in too. The difference is just the now or never marketing, which is kind of grotesque, though the millions of dollars they're picking up obviously prove that it works.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 18, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Seven days till I head to Essen. Getting hyped.

Who else is going to be there and when? Meeting during the day would waste valuable browsing time, but I know a couple of decent restaurants. If people are amenable and available we could head out for an evening meal then retreat to a convenient hotel for a bit of gaming.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Speaking of Gloomhaven, we retired our second character on sunday, unlocking the saw class. While it wasn't picked immediately, I still think it's really neat design-wise. I'm continually impressed by just how different all of the classes are.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
We've topped out two characters at level 9 and retired one other. Reaching level 9 really makes you realize just how differently the character world play if you had chosen different upgrade cards when leveling up :haw:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People talking about Gloomhaven is making me remember the things that excited me about it in the first place and now I'm looking forward to getting it in the mail a lot more than I was yesterday. The part about unlocking new and distinct classes to play really jumps out at me in particular. I just hope the component issues turn out to be an isolated problem.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

the 7th continent is time stories garbage that managed to self-select its audience via kickstarter to climb the bgg rankings, lmao if you back it (unless you like time stories garbage, go hog wild)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

deadwing posted:

the 7th continent is time stories garbage that managed to self-select its audience via kickstarter to climb the bgg rankings, lmao if you back it (unless you like time stories garbage, go hog wild)

this post was enough to keep me from spending lots of money! thank you very much.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

deadwing posted:

Some friends did a demo of Time Stories at Gen Con and I wish I'd known they were gonna. I would've told them not to bother.

They ended up thinking it was bad on their own

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played some Agricola with my son tonight. He glommed on pretty fast and enjoyed it, though his score wasn’t great. We played the “family variant” without the occupation and minor improvement cards. Looking forward to introducing him to those next.

I like that he can chase his previous score so that even if he loses there’s something for him to aim for. It keeps him from being frustrated and keeps me from having to hold back too much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

deadwing posted:

It did a pretty good job of self-selecting given most of the original backers are getting the expac / upgrade stuff this time around.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

WE RIDE posted:

I've only played it twice so far but I'm a big fan of it. One thing to note, like a lot of Vital's game it is very intimidating for new players when you put it down on the table. There is a lot of setup, the board is very busy and there is a lot of iconography you have to learn. Once you get into the game actually playing through your turn is pretty easy but it's a bit of a leap to get there.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It did a pretty good job of self-selecting given most of the original backers are getting the expac / upgrade stuff this time around.

Yeah there's like 10 time stories expansions too

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

Seven days till I head to Essen. Getting hyped.

Who else is going to be there and when? Meeting during the day would waste valuable browsing time, but I know a couple of decent restaurants. If people are amenable and available we could head out for an evening meal then retreat to a convenient hotel for a bit of gaming.

Can you pick up my literal $120 copy of Keyper and bring it to BGG.con

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
God, reading posts about gloomhaven and seeing the no pun included review of it has me really excited about maybe being able to play the game some day. Is there an eta for when stores will start carrying copies of it? I tried looking it up and they said that stores would have it starting in august and september which...well, doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

FirstAidKite posted:

God, reading posts about gloomhaven and seeing the no pun included review of it has me really excited about maybe being able to play the game some day. Is there an eta for when stores will start carrying copies of it? I tried looking it up and they said that stores would have it starting in august and september which...well, doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.

Production's been delayed, it's just starting to be delivered in Germany. Should hopefully be everywhere in 2 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Mid november right up till xmas time depending.
This is just a guess. I'm in the 'rest of world' and expecting sometime in the next three-eight weeks.