Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also this is my monthly reminder that MacOS having no HomeKit support at all to either control or manage is a loving joke.

Yeah I still don't get this. At the very least it seems like it would've been an advertiserable bullet point feature in an OS upgrade this year, and probably should've been in a year before that. When they only had them on Apple TVs I could at least understand that maybe they were using hubs to sell them but now that it's on ipads it really doesn't make sense.

(I mean, I guess you can control your Hue lights from the website but it is slow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone else having problems with the MyQ <> IFTTT integration?

If I go to edit the IFTTT applet, it just says Loading... forever on the "door name" dialog...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone else having problems with the MyQ <> IFTTT integration?

If I go to edit the IFTTT applet, it just says Loading... forever on the "door name" dialog...

Sounds like you haven't paid your subscription fee to open close your garage door.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like you haven't paid your subscription fee to open close your garage door.

Yeah, I double checked that but it's working...it says my subscription is active.

(and yes, I don't like the idea and implications of paying for this, but this is America where we say "gently caress off" to the long-term consequences of our behavior)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I double checked that but it's working.

(and yes, I don't like the idea and implications of paying for this, but this is America where we say "gently caress off" to the long-term consequences of our behavior)

How does it not surprise me that the only part of the paid IFTTT integration is the part where they remember to take your money?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, it's back to working now.

In other news, you can now use your Google Home or Assistant on your phone to stream a nest camera to a chromecast device.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/nest-camera-integration-google-assistant-already-live/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'm considering building a PiMusicBox. For this I need a Raspberry Pi and an audio shield (since the built-in-audio isn't great). After some research, I see that there's now the regular Raspberry Pi, but also the much cheaper Pi Zero. Both have audio shields, and both are fairly available for me to order online (in Canada).

In terms of comparing the two, I'm not too concerned about the Pi Zero and processing power -- this is just to run audio, not a whole media centre. But, my intuition is that the audio shield on a smaller form factor (Pi Zero) won't have as good audio features (higher quality capacitors, separation of digital/analogue circuits, etc).

Is this a real concern, or would a Pi Zero be just as good for a home audio system?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm considering building a PiMusicBox. For this I need a Raspberry Pi and an audio shield (since the built-in-audio isn't great). After some research, I see that there's now the regular Raspberry Pi, but also the much cheaper Pi Zero. Both have audio shields, and both are fairly available for me to order online (in Canada).

In terms of comparing the two, I'm not too concerned about the Pi Zero and processing power -- this is just to run audio, not a whole media centre. But, my intuition is that the audio shield on a smaller form factor (Pi Zero) won't have as good audio features (higher quality capacitors, separation of digital/analogue circuits, etc).

Is this a real concern, or would a Pi Zero be just as good for a home audio system?

The Pi Zero is probably fine, but I suggest running a USB audio interface either way.

There's way more options, and I haven't been impressed with any of the "hat" outputs I've tried. They're still just using pwm on the gpio pins line the onboard Pi output does.

The "zero-dac" even spit out 5v of DC offset on the audio lines until the OS finished loading. No way I was plugging that into anything I cared about.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 9, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You can use the larger shield on the smaller device, the header is the same.

That said the price difference is so little that unless size or cost are critical I always recommend getting the Pi3 over the Zero/ZeroW because you might find something new you want to do with it which does benefit from or need the extra capabilities.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rick posted:

Yeah I still don't get this. At the very least it seems like it would've been an advertiserable bullet point feature in an OS upgrade this year, and probably should've been in a year before that. When they only had them on Apple TVs I could at least understand that maybe they were using hubs to sell them but now that it's on ipads it really doesn't make sense.

(I mean, I guess you can control your Hue lights from the website but it is slow).

My kingdom for being able to use HomeKit to manage my Insteon devices by having a bridge app on my iMac.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

The Pi Zero is probably fine, but I suggest running a USB audio interface either way.

There's way more options, and I haven't been impressed with any of the "hat" outputs I've tried. They're still just using pwm on the gpio pins line the onboard Pi output does.

The "zero-dac" even spit out 5v of DC offset on the audio lines until the OS finished loading. No way I was plugging that into anything I cared about.

Huh - yeah I'd have thought with all the fanciness going into some of those boards they'd be better.

So, something like a Behringer uca 202 then?

Also thank you both for the responses.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I have a uca202 and while it's not as nice as my Asus xonar bells and whistles thing, it's a third of the price and almost a good. Also it works with drat near anything, including android devices via otg.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

I have a uca202 and while it's not as nice as my Asus xonar bells and whistles thing, it's a third of the price and almost a good. Also it works with drat near anything, including android devices via otg.

Oh lol, that probably means my Scarlett 2i2 will work with my phone.

(Not using the 2i2 in Raspberry pi-fi, though.)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh lol, that probably means my Scarlett 2i2 will work with my phone.

(Not using the 2i2 in Raspberry pi-fi, though.)

Depends how it's powered. for the 202 you need a split OTG cable with power in for phones and tablets or it'll try to power itself via the phone which isn't ideal.

Pi won't be an issue.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Thermopyle posted:

They announced this thing like a year ago, and though it's still not available, but...the awesome set top box that is the Shield TV is coming out (soon?) with a SmartThings dongle that will make it act like a full standalone SmartThings hub. The dongle will be $15 as part of a launch promotion and then go up to $40.

I'm completely new to home automation and still exploring options. Is a Shield+this dongle a good start? I currently only own two Nest cameras and plan on purchasing the Nest doorbell once it is released and another camera to cover my backyard.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 13, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Neon Belly posted:

I'm completely new to home automation and still exploring options. Is a Shield+this dongle a good start? I currently only own two Nest cameras and plan on purchasing the Nest doorbell once it is released and another camera to cover my backyard.

Do you currently have the new Shield? And/or do you have Raspberry Pi 3? And are you an Android or Apple household?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Apple household and currently own a Pi 2 that is collecting dust.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I was looking at the Hue bulbs but I'm seeing that they aren't supposed to be used in enclosed fixtures (I have a frosted glass half dome thing on my ceiling). I saw a few posts saying that their lawyers are just covering their asses and it's fine but I don't want to burn my apartment down because I listened to some retard on reddit. Are there any decent smart bulbs that work in enclosed fixtures? Or does it really not matter all that much?

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 14, 2017

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

I was looking at the Hue bulbs but I'm seeing that they aren't supposed to be used in enclosed fixtures (I have a frosted glass half dome thing on my ceiling). I saw a few posts saying that their lawyers are just covering their asses and it's fine but I don't want to burn my apartment down because I listened to some retard on reddit. Are there any decent smart bulbs that work in enclosed fixtures? Or does it really not matter all that much?

LED bulbs in general are prone to over heating and even with non-smart ones you need to pay attention to which bulbs you buy if you are putting them in an enclosed fixture. Hell I had a batch of cheap feit bulbs all burn out in my dining room chandelier just because the glass covers are deep and only open on the bottom. As it is ceiling fixture lights are controlled by a nearby switch, so you might want to consider a smart switch with good normal LED bulbs in the fixture.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

I've been using them in frosted glass half domes without any trouble. I think by "enclosed" they mean downlight/spotlight kind of enclosures. They're LED so they run a lot cooler than pretty much anything else, including CFLs. If an incandescent bulb (read: tiny electrical heater) can work in those fixtures, I don't see why a Hue bulb would have any trouble.

E: /\/\/\/\/\/\ Yeah it probably depends a lot on which part of the bulb is getting hot -- they have a lot of fancy electronics down in the base. But I think in a dome fixture, it's usually just a freestanding socket with a dome some distance away around it, so there's a fair bit of room for heat to dissipate.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 15, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I've had a Hue bulb (basic white) in an enclosed, outdoor fixture for over a year (in Mid-Atlantic) winters, and it's been fine. They seem to be pretty well-built... as I would hope for $15 a bulb.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Has anyone heard anything about solutions by companies like Vivint? Reading reviews it seems like customer support is hit or miss but the product usually works pretty well.

Does anyone here have experience with them?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

Has anyone heard anything about solutions by companies like Vivint? Reading reviews it seems like customer support is hit or miss but the product usually works pretty well.

Does anyone here have experience with them?

Vivint's switched from 2gig panels to something proprietary for their burg panels. Keep in mind that if you have customer service issues you're gonna be locked in. For some people it's a big deal, for some it's nothing to care about. The smart locksets are by Kwikset and usually part the Kevo line. Their cameras are made by Vivotek and aren't the worst cameras you can buy but they aren't gonna be amazing. One of the things to note about companies like ADT and Vivint is that they expand by acquiring local dealers. But they tend to be kind of crap when it comes to consistent corporate standards. So one local installer might be amazing and do their jobs professionally and with great skill. Other installers might be all about turning over jobs as quickly as possible and do a poo poo job. So when you're looking at customer reviews, you want reviews close to you. A review a few states away that is glowing doesn't mean you'll get great service and vice versa.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The house I bought had a vivint system with Z-wave sensors on the windows and doors, smart outlet, and IP cam. We never used the monitoring service from them, and a few months ago the 2Gig panel went dark. The day I moved in I pushed the emergency button and since I wasn't the registered owner, they sent cops to my door :lol:

FWIW I think their service contracts are overpriced, you could roll your own and go with alarm.com or something cheaper. In my particular instance, all the sensors were installed well and worked fine until the control panel went out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My old-rear end house has a poo poo-ton of ceiling light fixtures with pull-strings, and no wall switches.

I haven't gotten into the smart lightbulbs yet, seemed a bit gimmicky, but now I'm realizing that the Philips Hue bulbs have wireless wall-mount dimmers, so even though they're pricey, it's probably a lot less to go wireless than it is to pay an electrician to run wall switches.

Thoughts on this bulb + dimmer kit?:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Installation-Free-Exclusive-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B014H2P89O

I also want to combine it with motion sensors to turn the bulbs on when we enter certain rooms or stairways:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-F-CEN-IRM-1-Motion-Sensor/dp/B0118RQWYQ

I assume the wall dimmer switch lasts pretty much forever since it only turns on when you're pushing the buttons, but I don't know about battery life on the motion sensors. Is anyone else doing a setup like this? Can I program something in Smart Things like "turn the bulb on for 5 minutes when motion is detected, and reset the timer back to 5 minutes if motion is detected again while counting down"? To make sure the bulb doesn't turn off then back on while someone is in the room.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SmartThings has a “no motion for N minutes” trigger type that you could use.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

My old-rear end house has a poo poo-ton of ceiling light fixtures with pull-strings, and no wall switches.

I haven't gotten into the smart lightbulbs yet, seemed a bit gimmicky, but now I'm realizing that the Philips Hue bulbs have wireless wall-mount dimmers, so even though they're pricey, it's probably a lot less to go wireless than it is to pay an electrician to run wall switches.

Thoughts on this bulb + dimmer kit?:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Installation-Free-Exclusive-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B014H2P89O

I also want to combine it with motion sensors to turn the bulbs on when we enter certain rooms or stairways:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-F-CEN-IRM-1-Motion-Sensor/dp/B0118RQWYQ

I assume the wall dimmer switch lasts pretty much forever since it only turns on when you're pushing the buttons, but I don't know about battery life on the motion sensors. Is anyone else doing a setup like this? Can I program something in Smart Things like "turn the bulb on for 5 minutes when motion is detected, and reset the timer back to 5 minutes if motion is detected again while counting down"? To make sure the bulb doesn't turn off then back on while someone is in the room.

Those switches are pretty cool, and they come off the plate so you can have a handheld remote control (or lose it).

I have some of their bulbs in a fixture that was never connected to a wall switch (former ceiling fan) and they're great with that switch and voice control through Alexa -> Hue.

General consensus is it's better to have smart switches than bulbs, but as you've noted when you don't have a switch in the first place the bulbs are pretty good.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Hi guys,

I recently received a bunch of Nest products (1 indoor cam, 1 outdoor cam, 2 smoke detectors) - will these be useful to me, or should I try sell them on eBay/Gumtree?
Is it necessary to buy the subscription service? I'm not particularly interested in forking out $30/mo, would I be missing out on a lot of the functionality by not having it? It seems like without the subscription you can't store videos, just look at the feed. Is there another program or way around this?
I don't currently have any other home automation devices installed, there are only two of us in the house, both on Android.

We live in a very low-crime area (although we have been broken into once in the last two years), and at the moment I can't really see myself getting much use out of these devices. I would also like to know the impact running these devices will have on my internet speeds (in Australia, on NBN, getting around 15-20mbps).

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
100% yes to smoke detectors. Worth every penny.

I don't have the cameras but they look good. I believe the subscription isn't required.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Heners_UK posted:

100% yes to smoke detectors. Worth every penny.

I don't have the cameras but they look good. I believe the subscription isn't required.

I haven't tried them but the smoke detectors are about the only home automation I'm not sold on... I'm sure they're nice but they're 10 times the cost of a normal smoke detector, and you still have to chuck them out after 10 years

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you're planning on having kids any time soon, IP cameras make for pretty good baby monitors. Just yeah disable any cloud poo poo and firewall them off as with any IP Cam.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Screama posted:

Hi guys,

I recently received a bunch of Nest products (1 indoor cam, 1 outdoor cam, 2 smoke detectors) - will these be useful to me, or should I try sell them on eBay/Gumtree?
Is it necessary to buy the subscription service? I'm not particularly interested in forking out $30/mo, would I be missing out on a lot of the functionality by not having it? It seems like without the subscription you can't store videos, just look at the feed. Is there another program or way around this?
I don't currently have any other home automation devices installed, there are only two of us in the house, both on Android.

We live in a very low-crime area (although we have been broken into once in the last two years), and at the moment I can't really see myself getting much use out of these devices. I would also like to know the impact running these devices will have on my internet speeds (in Australia, on NBN, getting around 15-20mbps).

Any help appreciated, thanks.

No VMS is going to have support for the Nest cameras.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thomamelas posted:

No VMS is going to have support for the Nest cameras.

VMS? What's that? I just installed 3 outdoor Nest cameras vs going the ADT route that I probably asked earlier about ITT. I did buy the monthly 10/day cloud storage as it does no good to have only like 3 hours of snapshots only.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

VMS? What's that? I just installed 3 outdoor Nest cameras vs going the ADT route that I probably asked earlier about ITT. I did buy the monthly 10/day cloud storage as it does no good to have only like 3 hours of snapshots only.

Video management system.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can anyone recommend three-way switches or dimmers that are Alexa compatible, and preferably don't require a hub/bridge?

In Ecobee4 news, I unlinked Alexa from my Ecobee, bought an Echo Dot, and enabled the Ecobee skill. It's a much better experience.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neon Belly posted:

Video management system.

Ah I was reading that as “no, vms will handle it”, lol commas.

Anyways each nest Cam takes about 1.5mbps. It kinda sucks as I only get 10mbps and no faster speeds are available here. Sometimes rural sucks. I lower the resolution and turn off the sound. Also run on a alternate 5g band.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Burt Sexual posted:

Ah I was reading that as “no, vms will handle it”, lol commas.

Anyways each nest Cam takes about 1.5mbps. It kinda sucks as I only get 10mbps and no faster speeds are available here. Sometimes rural sucks. I lower the resolution and turn off the sound. Also run on a alternate 5g band.

Hope your cams are placed in such a way that whoever they record is close enough to actually identify, because otherwise you won’t get anything more than proof of what happened.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hope your cams are placed in such a way that whoever they record is close enough to actually identify, because otherwise you won’t get anything more than proof of what happened.

IKR lesson for the thread? It’s still good on faces, just not plates

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Burt Sexual posted:

IKR lesson for the thread? It’s still good on faces, just not plates

My point is just that if you’re lowering quality of your video, you’ll need more face in frame to be able to get a good, identifiable picture for the police or whatever. If you haven’t, just do some role-play as a wandering crackhead or whatever, then review your video and see how easily you can identify your face. It’s a big help in identifying weak spots in your surveillance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You can get the SmartThings Link for just $10 now. Thats the dongle that lets your Shield TV act as a SmartThings hub.