Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Skillshot spam to win heroes like Chromie and Li-ming are easier to counter if you can internalize their cooldown durations. You can present a stationary target right before their cooldown is up and then move right when the player has decided to aim at you to juke the shot. You don't need to be moving constantly. They both have pretty obvious tells as well- Li-ming might not have a lengthy cast animation but her projectiles don't move all that fast and damage the first enemy hit, so a li-ming maneuvering for a clear shot is a dead-giveaway that you need to change your position. Chromie's sandblast winds up for an hour and a half and she telepgraphs her direction, while her dragon's breath requires either luck or clairvoyance to hit if you simply move unpredictably every time you see her cast it. Against both, you need to retreat from fights in a serpentine pattern, so be more aware of your health and be prepared to evac the fight earlier than you otherwise might to avoid needing to run in a straight line to avoid being caught by a melee pursuer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I fully expect most Plat+ players to have zero problem avoiding Chromie/Li-Ming if they were actually paying attention and emotionally invested

So I can go into further detail but basically you need to get better at avoiding damage; know how their characters play so you know when you would cast, dodge perpendicularish vs away, it really isn't any different than counterplaying any poke skill like Valla arrow or KT ult

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I think the biggest hurdle is internalizing all these timers, which takes practice both as the hero and against them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sometimes you lose against Chromie and it feels extra bad but I generally feel better about my chances of winning when I see her on the enemy team. The only character that's both strong at normal levels of play and cancer is Tracer imo.

But Chromie is actually a character that was played quite a lot in competitive pre-rework so she's not the non-entity you're suggesting she is in general.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Chromie's biggest drawback is her difficulty with hitting skillshots. That kind-of goes away when you have a team that you practice with all the time that works to set up easy shots for you.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Chromie is also considered an Auriel counter, since her poke is significant enough to force Auriel to burn her hope, her range is long enough so that Auriel's team can't generate hope for her, and Crystal Aegis can basically serve as setup for Chromie. Although since the rise of double support and Chromie's rework, this might have changed slightly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PantsBandit posted:

But dragon blast has a massive aoe

:psyduck: In what universe, unless they're taking Enveloping Assault and ignoring her best level 2 talent (Bronze Talons)?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MisterZimbu posted:

Does halloween start this week too?

Junkrat is live and so is Hallow's End :brrring:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Junkrat is live and so is Hallow's End :brrring:

:brrring: :brrring: :brrring: :brrring:

seems like they haven't changed him from the PTR version. we'll see how long that lasts~

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

oh great I'm getting the pending transaction bullshit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

seems like they haven't changed him from the PTR version. we'll see how long that lasts~

Hell yeah I also got MVP as Junkrat :hfive:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

You better believe I bought the horse in the horse costume

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kerrrrrrr posted:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21116539/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-october-17-2017-10-17-2017

Slight buff to rip-tire all around, slight nerf to rocket ride dmg, and nerfed his passive dmg to buildings by 75% (so you couldn't lvl 20 cheese with rocket ride as easily)

Lvl 13 bunny hopping is unchanged.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21116539/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-october-17-2017-10-17-2017

Slight buff to rip-tire all around, slight nerf to rocket ride dmg, and nerfed his passive dmg to buildings by 75% (so you couldn't lvl 20 cheese with rocket ride as easily)

Lvl 13 bunny hopping is unchanged.

oh nice thanks i hadn't actually looked at the patch notes

junkrat is fun though he doesn't feel as much like an assassin as, let's say, lunara

i love lunara :allears:

and i have the prettiest skin which has my favorite colors and she's so pretty :allears: :allears: :allears:

edit: also in one of my boxes i got a stim pack for a day so i get to level up all those heroes i had left at like 90% exp to next level. moooore boxes :woop:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kerrrrrrr posted:

junkrat is fun though he doesn't feel as much like an assassin as, let's say, lunara

I don't care what you call Junkrat just don't instaban him when our team is first pick :cry:

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I always actually really like playing against li-Ming and Chromie, everything they do is so telegraphed you can style all over them if you just get good. Honestly they have a ton of counter play and it makes for high skill matchups.

My favorite character/build on the other hand is burst Butcher w/ cheap shot at 4, furnace blast and ruthless onslaught at 13, which has very limited counter play (basically, an unstoppable butcher is going to run into you and pyroblast you for 50% of your health unless you can stasis). Now that's dumb as gently caress. I laugh my rear end off whenever I instantly delete a mage at 70% hp with no counter play. Fun and interactive!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't care what you call Junkrat just don't instaban him when our team is first pick :cry:

don't worry i only play vs ai anyway :downs:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Somebody please tell me how to counter Chromie if I'm playing solo queue. I will learn a new character, I don't care. I am just so tired of escaping a teamfight to lick my wounds and getting loving nuked from the fog of war.

Take spell shield if she goes for a loop and activate it when she casts it on you.
If you're having that much trouble, you're probably bad at dodging in general since Chromie skillshots are pretty slow. Lose that habit too many people have of running away in a straight line unless you absolutely have to run away from a hungry Sonya or whatever. If the projectile is coming at you horizontally, dodging vertically will work most of the time. Good Chromies will adapt if you always dodge the same way, so don't always go for the 90° angle. Losing that habit makes a huge difference in general, not just against Chromie, and it's definitely something worth keeping in mind. Just play a few QM against mages and focus on dodging and only dodging. It doesn't matter if you lose the game.

If you cannot dodge sideways, keep in mind you can dodge stuff like her W by running towards her, even in a straight line.

If you don't want to train, I suggest you play Thrall and outheal her poke by smashing all your buttons.
Echo / Mana Tide / Wrath / Earthquake / Spirit Shield (maybe Frostwolf if she didnt go loop) / Alpha Wolf / Earthen Shields

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm enjoying this brave new world where Zul'jin seems to have more than one viable talent build.

I just wish the guy had more/better skins. Goofy skins are half the point of this drat game :argh:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I don't care how late I am but the reason you don't play with jimbo is because there is nothing he can do wrong. So no matter what the actual reason was things went south he will blame someone so it doesn't get blamed on him.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Kerrrrrrr posted:

don't worry i only play vs ai anyway :downs:

:highfive:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiCJmKvcZg

this was exactly as satisfying to do in this game as it was in overwatch :brrring:

LegoMan posted:

:highfive:

:hfive:

edit: aw yeah just got the spectral stallion as well

it's not as good as the phantom horse though (the one with the plain sheet) cause the phantom has a candy bucket that drops a trail of candy behind you :spooky:

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 18, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

fyallm posted:

I don't care how late I am but the reason you don't play with jimbo is because there is nothing he can do wrong. So no matter what the actual reason was things went south he will blame someone so it doesn't get blamed on him.

Actually the other day he was taking responsibility for his fuckups.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Junkrat is a good time but the fact that you generally want to be pretty far outside fights makes it difficult to tell how much you're actually contributing.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

fyallm posted:

You have either only played with jimbo once or twice and hosed up so hard or you’re parroting what has already been said here.

Either way stfu and let’s talk about junkrat patch.

My first box had an orchish demon junkrat so I dropped 750 crystals to pick him up. I wasn’t originally going to first day but him but the skin is just too good

Seebach fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 18, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ahaha holy poo poo spread volley is amazing. Every 30 seconds you just rain grenades down on the enemy team I loving love it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Killing dumb dumbs with my death grenades if I get killed is still just as satisfying in HOTS as it is in Overwatch :toot:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

yeah junkrat is great

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Vampire Hunter V skin is for some reason is not wearing any pants, she's got "leggings" stuff up to her thighs but her rear end cheeks are hanging out like with the master skin Sylvanas. C'mon Blizzard it's a cool skin and you've been doing so well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spudd posted:

Vampire Hunter V skin is for some reason is not wearing any pants, she's got "leggings" stuff up to her thighs but her rear end cheeks are hanging out like with the master skin Sylvanas. C'mon Blizzard it's a cool skin and you've been doing so well.

sounds standard for Valeera

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Spudd posted:

Smdh.

I haven’t gotten a chance to play a whole bunch or junkrat yet but I played lili before work and topped damage. I asked if this was normal and sa chat said everyone else just sucked.

Thinking back in the game I did get a lot of water dragon damage on multiple people and I did get the spell power talent.

I also had like the perfect Abathur game with Illidan and Sonya and just went hay build.

Looking forwards to junkrat

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Seebach posted:

Smdh.

I haven’t gotten a chance to play a whole bunch or junkrat yet but I played lili before work and topped damage. I asked if this was normal and sa chat said everyone else just sucked.

Thinking back in the game I did get a lot of water dragon damage on multiple people and I did get the spell power talent.

I also had like the perfect Abathur game with Illidan and Sonya and just went hay build.

Looking forwards to junkrat

As someone who told you those people sucked, I'd just like to reiterate. Part of being well above your skill level is topping charts where your character normally would not. This is definitely a case of that.

Those people were either on characters they knew nothing about, or massively underskilled. I applaud your performance as Lili, she's a lot of fun, and damage build has it's place. But if you are topping characters who are built by Blizzard for damage, they are clearly doimg something wrong.

Also: Lili = :black101:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

junkrat is a fun hero with crap numbers.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Right now I hate Junkrat for the sole reason that dumbdumbs use his remote charge on merc camps making them a massive pain to clear. (You can catapult the siege giants across the water on BHB for example)

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Duderclese posted:

As someone who told you those people sucked, I'd just like to reiterate. Part of being well above your skill level is topping charts where your character normally would not. This is definitely a case of that.

Those people were either on characters they knew nothing about, or massively underskilled. I applaud your performance as Lili, she's a lot of fun, and damage build has it's place. But if you are topping characters who are built by Blizzard for damage, they are clearly doimg something wrong.

Also: Lili = :black101:

For reference

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looking just at damage numbers I'd say your Jaina under-performed, but then looking at the enemy comp they had no frontline for her to hit, and Dragon Shire is hard to clump enemies for sweet AOE deeps. Hope she went Q build!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Get these aids over watch heroes out of my Hots. There was a about when this game was good and it was before tracer was introduced.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Pretend Junkrat is a goblin sapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Rakanishu!