Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm surprised by how many people actually care about Visceral getting kicked to the curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm surprised by how many people actually care about Visceral getting kicked to the curb.
I feel very strongly about Future Cop LAPD and CyberTiger

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone hasn't played Gunstar Heroes with the homing flame

Raxivace posted:

The techno soundtrack in Chronicles is the best Castlevania OST.

I like it but it's not very uh Castlevania-y

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

Dead Space 1&2 were good and I wanted to play Star Wars Uncharted
Also EA being lovely to devs is still lovely regardless of wether you like their games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's more about what EA shutting down Visceral represents than the company itself because Dead Space was pretty much their only claim to fame. Originally Visceral was a sister company of EA itself, but then they were given their own studio for Dead Space... but since they're still an EA company, EA can just kill them off whenever they feel like. They have now done so despite there not really being any reason to, and that's what's worth getting upset about imo. From a business standpoint absorbing them back into the main company may make some sense, I dunno, I'm not a business person. But what it means is that Visceral has become yet another group absorbed by a larger company only to just be unceremoniously disbanded, at least partially in the name of getting rid of competition (even though in this case they were already a part of EA).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EA has found an awesomely unregulated industry to create a pump and dump racket.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure the reason Visceral got disbanded was because they hadn't produced anything of value in years. You can argue that its all EA's fault that Visceral even ended up in this state (I'd be inclined to agree), but I'm not gonna weep for the passing of a company that was basically already dead.

I suspect 5 or so years from now the same thing will happen to Bioware when their Destiny clone inevitably fails to produce the massive sums of money EA desires.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. What EA has done is in this case more important than the fate of the company itself, although corporate shakeups do always make me feel bad for the people that get caught in them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have no strong feelings about Visceral and so it's more that they kicked Amy Hennig to the curb and are redistributing the assets to another subsidiary in what feels like a really blunt way.

It's a equivalent of a gangster film scene where the boss shoots his underling in the head and then tells his other underling, who's covered in blood and bits of brain, "You're promoted"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
holy poo poo, rondo of blood loving rules. i actually like this more than cv4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While the have a soft spot for 4 and still think it has the best music Rondo is pretty great yeah.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to burn out on destiny 2

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Rondo of Blood is probably the best classic-style Castlevania and has one of the best soundtracks in the series too. It's a Good Video Game.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sefal posted:

I'm starting to burn out on destiny 2

same. I'm beginning to think it's because it sucks.

Last time I played Witcher 3 I got to skellige and stopped playing cos Titanfall 2 broke my brain. I'm considering starting over since I can't remember what I was doing. This is a crazy idea right?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you're looking for ciri

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

you're looking for ciri

Who? *plays round #26 of Gwent with this random dwarf I found, then goes scuba diving for one (1) crate of loot*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

please stop with the being sicky, i wanna stop

okay I'm playing CrossCells, it's not amazing but its a lot better than SquareCells, but nothing will ever top the Hexcells trilogy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Who? *plays round #26 of Gwent with this random dwarf I found, then goes scuba diving for one (1) crate of loot*

cirilla fiona elen riannon

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

oddium posted:

you're looking for ciri

oh okay. I'll just put the Witcher vision on and follow the tracks or whatever ty

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

cirilla fiona elen riannon

Ohhh right my surrogate daughter. Yeah. Got it. *heads in the direction of the next main quest and is immediately distracted by a rock troll painting a boat*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

I have it on Origin and I can run it on Win 10 with no issues. Nth'ing that it's good.

did they ever fix the issue where if you run it at anything over 1280x1024 the game map fails to properly scale and becomes unusable

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I get to play Witcher 3 tonight and I am excited as all heck! :D

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

same. I'm beginning to think it's because it sucks.

Last time I played Witcher 3 I got to skellige and stopped playing cos Titanfall 2 broke my brain. I'm considering starting over since I can't remember what I was doing. This is a crazy idea right?

I did this almost at the same point as you (right before Skellige though) after not touching the game for like 6 months and I was glad I started over. I had majorly hosed up some quests the first time around too though (specifically one involving some mice) so I was happy to get to redo those .

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

I had majorly hosed up some quests the first time around too though (specifically one involving some mice)

there's no way to "win" that one

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason Visceral got disbanded was because they hadn't produced anything of value in years. You can argue that its all EA's fault that Visceral even ended up in this state (I'd be inclined to agree), but I'm not gonna weep for the passing of a company that was basically already dead.

I suspect 5 or so years from now the same thing will happen to Bioware when their Destiny clone inevitably fails to produce the massive sums of money EA desires.

EA gave Visceral quite a few stays of execution. They always pivoted them to a more marketable IP rather than close them down after a bomb. A few game journalists on Twitter suggest that the game had been in development hell from quite some and the axe finally fell.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have no strong feelings about Visceral and so it's more that they kicked Amy Hennig to the curb and are redistributing the assets to another subsidiary in what feels like a really blunt way.

It's a equivalent of a gangster film scene where the boss shoots his underling in the head and then tells his other underling, who's covered in blood and bits of brain, "You're promoted"

If Amy Hennig is leaving Visceral and the project is being rebooted by a new team, this would be the second time after what happened during Uncharted 4's development. From Soul Reaver to Uncharted 3, she shipped a AAA game about every two years.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

oddium posted:

there's no way to "win" that one

I thought Graham kissing the ghost and dying was a pretty good ending , at least compared to wiping out an entire city with a plague by burying her bones. -- I also hosed up the part immediately after that quest by killing Keira

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

VideoGames posted:

I get to play Witcher 3 tonight and I am excited as all heck! :D
*in Morpheus voice* Welcome to the real world.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought Witcher 3 last night and played for about an hour. I'm digging it so far. I bounced off the first two games like many people. I played until I beat up sooner drunk assholes outside the bar.

All I've been looking for for the past month is a game that I can enjoy while kicked back on the couch and I think W3 is that game. I was playing Dragon's Dogma but I'm burning out on that because there's too much running between far away points, too many wolves at night, and too much busy work (constantly offloading items so I don't weigh a ton, going into the rift to replace pawns cause you can't just level up pawns that aren't yours, resting at inns to refresh my pawn's poo poo, and waiting for the clunky menu to do anything).

W3 is the first game that has voiced dialog that I haven't felt compelled to read the line and skip ahead. It's great to have good voice acting and animation. I was watching a chat between Geralt and some random dude in a bar and realized it was light years ahead of anything I've seen in Fallout 4 for example. It seems like this game lives up to the hype. I'm very excited to start digging into side quests.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah the camerawork in Witcher 3 goes a loooong way towards making dialogue scenes interesting. I also found it a really relaxing game to zone out with, it was nice always almost always having the option to do something involving combat, or to do some treasure hunting, or play Gwent, or follow some quest that's gonna involve a lot of conversations, or whatever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dialogues, voice work, facial/body language animations - overall the conversation direction is consistently excellent in TW3 and carries the game. Of course there's a lot more there but it's just great that you can trust the game to entertain and surprise you even during a random conversation with an unimportant NPC because the devs wanted you to have fun. I never felt as rewarded for exhausting optional dialogue trees than in TW3.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

part of the reason people were so stunned by the utter lack of facial/body animations during dialogue in mass effect andromeda was because witcher 3 had set the bar so high years earlier

the other part of the reason was mass effect andromeda

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
That's P5 down. It starts way strong and it ends way strong but the middle 50-60 hours are so full of fluff it was kind of a drag. The gameplay systems are cool and I love things like the demon designs but I feel the story is pretty weak and the themes they try to build up for the game in the initial arc and through marketing get lost and meander for most of the duration of the plot. It has a lot I love but all things considering it's the most disappointing game I've played this year, but that's more indicative of just how many good games came out this year than the quality of Persona 5.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

I thought Graham kissing the ghost and dying was a pretty good ending , at least compared to wiping out an entire city with a plague by burying her bones. -- I also hosed up the part immediately after that quest by killing Keira

oh yeah you messed up then hahaha

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sefal posted:

Finished episode 3 of Umineko last night.

I got tricked
The groundwork for that moment is laid out masterfully; you don't see it coming but when you do you think back on the references leading up to it throughout the whole EP and it's such a mindfuck.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

The groundwork for that moment is laid out masterfully; you don't see it coming but when you do you think back on the references leading up to it throughout the whole EP and it's such a mindfuck.

Yup. The game blatantly told me what it was going to do and I still fell for it.
Genius

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you heard of the board game Gloomhaven?

It looks pretty cool. It's expensive though (retails for anywhere between $80 and $120 I think, ignoring the scalpers who are trying to make ~$400 off of it) so idk if I'll ever get it, but it'll supposedly be available for retail within a month or two.

It is a cooperative dungeon crawling game where you start off with 6 possible starter characters, you pick a character and stick with them through the game's starting campaign, and then as you complete the campaigns you'll be able to upgrade your character to make them better, applying stickers to their cards, adding additional attack modifiers to your attack modifier deck, experience events between campaigns that can/will have lasting effects by doing things like maybe having to shuffle special event cards into the deck that you'll potentially see later on, progressing through campaigns CYOA style where you'll pick which way you need to go to progress and so the story will unfold differently for you and your experiences with the game will likely be different because of how you choose to build your character, what choice of character you go with, what special stuff you've unlocked whether good or bad, etc. It even has a thing where each character has a secret goal unique to that character and, if you complete it, you can retire the character and not use them for anymore campaigns in exchange for opening up one of the 11 other secret boxes in the game containing a new character.

It looks like a lot of fun. I dunno if I'll ever get a chance to play it, but I thought I'd bring it up here because it's really cool imo how they made this dungeon crawler cyoa-style game that works like this. I wouldn't expect a board game to be as involved as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXlRBungo8

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

part of the reason people were so stunned by the utter lack of facial/body animations during dialogue in mass effect andromeda was because witcher 3 had set the bar so high years earlier
vs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Witcher 3 really is exceptional. Really the only thing I don't love about it is the combat, and even then I don't hate it like some people do. I just don't find it particularly satisfying, especially because the difficulty curve is all kind of hosed up. I started on normal difficulty and had a ton of trouble early on, but by the time I'd leveled up a bit I had to turn the game up to Death March to have even a tiny shred of challenge, just because Geralt's abilities become so strong.

Everything else is so crazy good that the game is still amazing, though.

Meanwhile, Horizon: Zero Dawn is good at a lot of the things Witcher 3 isn't, but doesn't have as gripping of side quests or the same level of acting and directing quality. But drat is the combat good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

just beat castlevania iv. should i play chronicles or skip to rondo

Chronicles is cool but it's good you're playing Rondo.

Sakurazuka posted:

Chronicles is just CV 1 with nicer graphics and remixed music and twice as hard. The PS1 version replaces the main character sprite with one that looks more like an Ayami Kojima character instead of old barbarian Simon and remixes the music yet again to sound like Dracula has a disco constantly set up in his castle.

In a sense, in that the game is a redone version of a X68000 game that was basically retelling CV1, but the level design is pretty different, and it uses Simon's Theme for the last stage. Also one of the other things the arranged version does is make the game easier since it was kind of punishing to begin with (though you can still play the original through Chronicles, if you want). There's also a code that makes it so you can change what type of synthesizer is doing the music.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exploded mummy posted:

did they ever fix the issue where if you run it at anything over 1280x1024 the game map fails to properly scale and becomes unusable

I heard of that but I never had that issue. They must have fixed it by the time I got it. The GOG version does have that patch baked into their release.

What is the context of that scene in Andromeda anyway? I'm just familiar with that gif.

Also, man I really want to get Witcher 3 but I've got too drat many games on my plate right now and W3 would take up a substantial amount of my time. Definitely money I don't need to be spending too.

• Locked thread