Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaido is allied with the Shogun to stamp out the Kozuki family and gain their knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Oh. I guess I don't remember much and should probably reread from after Dressrosa. Thanks for clarifying

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Kaido is allied with the Shogun to stamp out the Kozuki family and gain their knowledge.

I initially assumed the Shogun was Kaidou's lackey, but then it occurred to me that it might actually be closer to the other way around, like the relationship between the Japanese Emperor and Shogun in real life. We saw something similar with Big Mom and Streusen.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kaido meet the Shogun because of a typo on Craigslist when he was looking for a way to kill himself.

Oh the other reason I think Shanks could be a top end Emperor strength wetter is Oda commenting his Supreme King haki as being pretty insane compared to pretty much anyone else.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

I initially assumed the Shogun was Kaidou's lackey, but then it occurred to me that it might actually be closer to the other way around, like the relationship between the Japanese Emperor and Shogun in real life. We saw something similar with Big Mom and Streusen.

We did? I'm pretty all we saw was that Streusen initially manipulated her in to becoming a pirate so he'd have some power but that he's still subordinate to her in the present.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/scruffyturtles/status/919994747321585664

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

And then there's Pudding, who's both in one!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wano is fantasy Japan so I imagine it's gonna get hit by some kind of superweapon

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Wano is fantasy Japan so I imagine it's gonna get hit by some kind of superweapon

They seem to be setting up the Straw Hat Armada as Admiral Perry's Black Ships. Which is an... interesting take, certainly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

zou itself will make landfall

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

To get back to Emperor chat I saw a bunch of people saying that Mam was the weakest Emperor and others saying that no she's clearly one of the stronger ones, maybe the strongest. I have a few thoughts on this that I'd like to howl into the void. Everything I say though focuses on the Emperor's as individuals rather than their crews and influence etc.

What interests me about Blackbeard is that the other emperors seem to just be on another level. It's hard to imagine a character like Whitebeard (even old and sick), Kaido, or Big Mom being seriously endangered by Magellan, having to struggle against Ace, or reeling after taking a hit from Luffy during the Impel Down escape. I'm sure this is partly due to the way he's been portrayed as an antagonist whose rise parallels Luffy's, and not as an unstoppable juggernaut like Big Mom, but the vibe I get is that he is not in the same ludicrous tier of strength the other emperors are. (But maybe Blackbeard does have insane toughness close to Big Mom's or Kaido's, but doesn't show it well due to the weird way his fruit interacts with how his body takes damage.) I wonder if the story is ever even going to reach a point where Luffy is going to be able to defeat Big Mom or Kaido one-on-one - if we take Mihawk's comment about Luffy's ability to gain allies to its conclusion, I could see Blackbeard ending up as the weakest emperor (or maybe Shanks is), and the only one Luffy ends up beating down in a solo fight.

On a related note, what was the statement Oda or some character in the manga gave about being able to train your devil fruit power? I feel like it was specifically stated one way or the other that you either can or can't train the strength / potency of your ability once you've gotten it - basically I'm wondering if Blackbeard already has the ability to easily create tsunamis that Whitebeard showed at Marineford or if he'd have to train for it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

zou itself will make landfall
It's already walking on land, it just happens to be on the bottom of the sea :smug:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DizzyBum posted:

It's already walking on land, it just happens to be on the bottom of the sea :smug:

my head is in space, its just under the earth's atmosphere

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

U-DO Burger posted:

Brook is going to love the vending machines.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Wano is incel central.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
next time we see BB hes gonna have an insane amount of control over both his fruits. we cant forget BB also hops out of impel down then heads to marineford and tanks WB full force in his face. I think he'll just be fine with the scaling that has been happening in the last bit and might still be the strongest when its all said and done (like what if he can awaken both fruits at once)

best part of wano is gonna be everybody and their mother wanting to gently caress zoro up for that ryuma sword

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

What interests me about Blackbeard is that the other emperors seem to just be on another level. It's hard to imagine a character like Whitebeard (even old and sick), Kaido, or Big Mom being seriously endangered by Magellan, having to struggle against Ace, or reeling after taking a hit from Luffy during the Impel Down escape. I'm sure this is partly due to the way he's been portrayed as an antagonist whose rise parallels Luffy's, and not as an unstoppable juggernaut like Big Mom, but the vibe I get is that he is not in the same ludicrous tier of strength the other emperors are. (But maybe Blackbeard does have insane toughness close to Big Mom's or Kaido's, but doesn't show it well due to the weird way his fruit interacts with how his body takes damage.) I wonder if the story is ever even going to reach a point where Luffy is going to be able to defeat Big Mom or Kaido one-on-one - if we take Mihawk's comment about Luffy's ability to gain allies to its conclusion, I could see Blackbeard ending up as the weakest emperor (or maybe Shanks is), and the only one Luffy ends up beating down in a solo fight.

On a related note, what was the statement Oda or some character in the manga gave about being able to train your devil fruit power? I feel like it was specifically stated one way or the other that you either can or can't train the strength / potency of your ability once you've gotten it - basically I'm wondering if Blackbeard already has the ability to easily create tsunamis that Whitebeard showed at Marineford or if he'd have to train for it.

I don't remember that quote at all. Maybe the potency doesn't change but your control over it and what you can do with it certainly does change quite a lot. I'm not sure how well it's presented in the manga and it might be an anime only detail but Ace's flames were shown progressively hotter in his appearances with colour change and when Sabo gets it they colour matches the first time we saw Ace's. That doesn't really matter too much because of what we've seen mastery is what really makes a fruit powerful. At no point has Luffy gotten more stretch he's just invented the Gears being the clearest example. I am sure Blackbeard could create tsunamis if he knew how and had as much control over the Tremor Fruit as Whitebeard did. You're right that seeing Blackbeard's rise has made him seem much more vulnerable than the other Emperors who we've only seen either at their peak or coming down off their peak.

I definitely can't imagine Luffy not taking down either Kaido or Mam completely by himself before Blackbeard. I do agree with you that the idea Luffy's greatest threat to World Government is how easily he gets people to follow him from paupers to kings. However I think that's going to be a much more global thing than taking down an Emperor. Obviously an Emperor falling is :bignews: but I think when Luffy takes on the WG is when all the friends he made is really going to fulfill Hawkeye's prophecy. Though Luffy has been helped to beat people like Moria the whole Paramount War wrap-up was about him feeling powerless and unable to save his friends when it matters. In his face-off with Fujitora he specifically says he'll never backdown again whether he runs into an admiral or Emperor. He has fled from Mam I guess but that's really his crew making him he's been pretty committed to bashing her in the jowls. The King of Pirates is going to be the established strongest person and if Kaido and Mam go down in other ways he has no way to prove himself strongest.

Blackbeard is gonna be so dope after the timeskip really excited to see him. He says his plan was complete after he stole Whitebeard's power I wonder if that's just because he had always mainly been aiming for that power and knew the Dark Fruit could do it. Or more likely it's that coupled with the fact he has some great wombo combo's planned for both fruits.

I lost power and water yesterday so I spent time reading some volumes. Two things I noticed. In the first New World volume there's a cover page of Ace, Luffy, and Sabo as adults and if you look closely Ace's tattoo doesn't have the s just his name. Possibly a retcon but a nice detail for a cover page.

I like the theory that Blackbeard can steal and award powers to people using the Dark Dark Fruit, this fits with his taking of Whitbeard's power as well as Jesus Burgess mentioning that the Blackbeard pirates are collecting abilities. If this is the case I think it's possible that during the Grudge War they took Jozu's diamond ability and gave it Shiryu and after Zoro overcomes Mihawk his big thing against the Blackbeard pirates will be cutting diamond considering he's already beaten the best swordsman. Mr. One mentions cutting diamond back in Arabasta and Jozu takes the world's strongest slash to protect Whitebeard when Mihawk "wanted to see the difference between us and that man". I think it'd be a good way to still give Zoro a highstakes fight against the Blackbeard pirates as well as a "he did what even Mihawk could not" moment. I mean they both cut loving entire buildings and plate steel effortlessly but diamond is special in anime contexts like this.

Another theory about Blackbeard stealing powers is that he just figured out the reappearing fruit thing much sooner than other people. He killed Thatch when he took his fruit and it sounds like he just stole the fruit. What if Thatch had already eaten it though when Blackbeard killed him in anger and he saw it rebirth in an apple. Or he just knew already if he killed Thatch and had a tangerine with him the Dark Dark Fruit would rebirth in it. When Burgess tells Luffy and Sabo he'll steal their powers he gets ready to attack them. Maybe he's planning to capture them and bring them back to Blackbeard but possibly he has fruits with him and knows if he kills them he can capture their fruits like that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i remember years ago someone theorised that gear 4 would be vulcanised rubber but nobody could figure out how it would work. That was a really good prediction imo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drjuggalo posted:

We cant forget Blackbeard also hops out of Impel Down, then heads to Marineford and tanks Whitebeard full force in his face.

What? Whitebeard kicks his rear end immediately and effortlessly. Blackbeard can't even put up a defense, only managing to win because he called in his crewmates to help and Whitebeard was literally already dying from having a hole punched in his chest and half his face melted off. Unless you mean Blackbeard managed to tank Whitebeard's sole real hit, when Whitebeard slams him in the face with an earthquake punch, which doesn't really indicate a lot on it's own since Whitebeard may never have intended to kill him immediately and shonen characters are damage soaks as a general rule. Usopp being a good example. Usopp would probably be able to stand back up after taking a neutron explosion in the face and the most damage one would expect after it would be some blood and maybe a wonky nose or something. I still wouldn't expect him to be able to take on Emperors or be in their league just because he can take their hits though.

EmmyOk posted:

Though Luffy has been helped to beat people like Moria

No, he hasn't. He had help beating Oars, not Moria. He fights Oars using the hundred shadows that Lola and the Rolling Pirates gave him, easily man-handling Oars because of it but Oars is essentially immune to damage as a zombie so it doesn't really do much and the shadows leave him after Luffy throws Oars around a bit. He needs his crews help to enact Chopper's plan and break Oars' spine to finally stop him. Even then, Oars is still willing to keep fighting, his body is just no longer physically capable of moving. He has no shadows in him at any point when he's fighting Moria. On the contrary, it's Moria that has a shadow boost and while Luffy had 100 shadows injected to boost his strength and capability Moria takes in 1,000 shadows and Luffy still fights him.

The help he's gotten fighting the big bads of various arcs has been more supportive in nature, Sanji/Nojiko and pinwheel hat dude keeping his head above water and breaking him out of concrete when he puts himself in it during the fight with Arlong, Nami giving him a ride up the beanstalk in Skypiea on a waiver, Robin giving him the antidote to Crocodile's poison; that kind of thing. The most help he's gotten from another person who fought beside him against an arc villain is Law fighting against Doflamingo I think. And even then Doflamingo voided most of the damage Law did using things like Gamma Knife by exploiting his fruit powers, similar to how Enel was able to void Wiper's attack when Wiper stopped his heart by using his fruit power to restart it.

EmmyOk posted:

He says his plan was complete after he stole Whitebeard's power I wonder if that's just because he had always mainly been aiming for that power and knew the Dark Fruit could do it.

Blackbeard is kind of short sighted and arrogant so I wouldn't be surprised if his plan went as far as "get the dark dark fruit and using it I'll be strong enough to become pirate king". This is a guy who has several times been defeated by fruit users because he assumed stripping them of their fruit powers would render them helpless and who was so confident having that power made him strong that he was willing to take on Whitebeard. Despite getting his rear end kicked alongside his entire crew by Magellan only a couple of hours before hand.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 17, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i feel like theres more to blackbeard than what we've seen

keep in mind we've rarely seen his success on screen, just his bumblings.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His successes are mostly similar to Buggy in exploiting opportunity to do things he isn't really capable of on his own. He's gone down as the man who killed Whitebeard within the story, despite his crew shooting Whitebeard because Whitebeard completely schooled him and he managed to exploit Luffy's already in progress prison break of Impel Down to gain several dangerous new crew members when on any other day Magellan would probably have just killed him because the chaos Luffy caused was one the main reasons he could survive and escape. I feel like Blackbeard is basically exactly what he seems, and while Luffy has had to scrap and claw for almost every inch he's gained, Blackbeard has mostly lucked in to things that have elevated him to a position he doesn't really have the strength to hold. Not to say that he won't still be monstrously strong of course, but I feel like that lack of experience digging down and powering through to fight enemies stronger than him will be part of what allows Luffy to beat him; that Blackbeard will still be rather arrogant and naive in the way he fights, assuming enemies will be weakened by things Luffy will be able to fight through because he's generally had to in the past and so on.

Edit: the one success he's really had and that he fully deserves credit for that we know of is beating Ace. Which he did fair and square in a brawl between the two of them that he advised his crew to stay out of. A fight that almost seems at odds with his characterization after that point given how much more exploitative he's been portrayed as since. I'd almost wonder if Oda's plans for who the character should be changed at some point after that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 17, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

anime was right posted:

i feel like theres more to blackbeard than what we've seen

keep in mind we've rarely seen his success on screen, just his bumblings.

Yes, theres much more: about two heads more that weve never seen, because hes always been a cerebrus zoan and his other two heads at the quake and dark fruits

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tsob posted:

No, he hasn't. He had help beating Oars, not Moria. He fights Oars using the hundred shadows that Lola and the Rolling Pirates gave him, easily man-handling Oars because of it but Oars is essentially immune to damage as a zombie so it doesn't really do much and the shadows leave him after Luffy throws Oars around a bit. He needs his crews help to enact Chopper's plan and break Oars' spine to finally stop him. Even then, Oars is still willing to keep fighting, his body is just no longer physically capable of moving. He has no shadows in him at any point when he's fighting Moria. On the contrary, it's Moria that has a shadow boost and while Luffy had 100 shadows injected to boost his strength and capability Moria takes in 1,000 shadows and Luffy still fights him.

My mistake, I thought a bunch of them pitched in to start punching the shadows out of the giant Moria shadow beast! I agree with the rest of what you said too but not this last bit.

tsob posted:

Blackbeard is kind of short sighted and arrogant so I wouldn't be surprised if his plan went as far as "get the dark dark fruit and using it I'll be strong enough to become pirate king". This is a guy who has several times been defeated by fruit users because he assumed stripping them of their fruit powers would render them helpless and who was so confident having that power made him strong that he was willing to take on Whitebeard. Despite getting his rear end kicked alongside his entire crew by Magellan only a couple of hours before hand.

I actually don't agree with him being short-sighted because all of his plans have worked out really well and don't seem that off the cuff. Even his plan to get the Dark Dark Fruit was a very long investment, he chose Whitbeard's crew assuming that'd be his best bet of coming across it and that took him years. That's a very long-term plan that would have taken a lot of patience. This is probably one of his biggest contrasts with Luffy, really solid plans that he carries out really well as opposed to the LUFFY System™

1. Launch yourself at the enemy
2. Understand literally nothing despite a pretty long and clear monologue from the villain
3. Fight!
4. Friends convince you to fight but MORE EXTREMELY
5. Yes you have won! Enjoy the feast big guy

Using Ace to leverage himself into being a Warlord sparking the Paramount War and attempting a jailbreak while everyone is busy with that then showing up to glory steal worked out pretty well for him. Though yes he almost died twice because he is absolutely way too cocky and has been extremely owned by thinking taking someones power away will beat them. I still have no idea how he thought that would work on Whitebeard. He went toe to toe with Sengoku though which is quite impressive and he did beat Ace and I can't imagine it'll be revealed at this stage that his crew helped him after all. Magellan is a bit unfair because he could be written to win any fight pretty easily because physcially punching him before the advent of haki in the series was suicide and even now I'm not sure haki would keep you safe. Most Logias or similar paramecias hitting you with an attack even flames leads to Shonen red scratches but Magellan's poison is pretty much instant death. I think that's at least part of the reason Oda never showed him losing even after the Blackbeard pirates show up at marineford.

Jose posted:

i remember years ago someone theorised that gear 4 would be vulcanised rubber but nobody could figure out how it would work. That was a really good prediction imo

I started listening to the podcast recently and it's really good but not the kind of thing you can listen to old episodes of. However I thought it'd be fun to go back to the episode where Gear Four is mentioned but not revealed to see what the predictions would be and they mentioned vulcanisation but couldn't think how it'd be applied. The reasoning was that Gear Two showed the flexibility of rubber, Three the expansion, and that after Doflamingo's "your attacks are fast but lack power" line that Four would need to be hardening. Also after the reveal they mentioned old comments people had made about how Nightmare Luffy was Gear Four were surprisingly on the money.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 18, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Haha Tashigi's taunt in PW3 is her taking off her glasses. If you do, the screen gets fuzzy. Pretty good.

Also she's like the best character in the game?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I like Tashigi. Solid damage, fun kit, enough mobility to stay out of trouble.

My favorite's easily Garp though. Getting platinums on Nightmare mode isn't super difficult with him, and it takes longer with him than most, but boy I find it satisfying. Bosses can't kill you if they don't get to move!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Haha Tashigi's taunt in PW3 is her taking off her glasses. If you do, the screen gets fuzzy. Pretty good.

Also she's like the best character in the game?

Fujitora is absofuckinglutely insane. As you’d expect, really.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
The most insane character in PW3 is anyone with post-skip Usopp as a partner. That firebird just deletes everything in front of you.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tsob posted:

Edit: the one success he's really had and that he fully deserves credit for that we know of is beating Ace. Which he did fair and square in a brawl between the two of them that he advised his crew to stay out of. A fight that almost seems at odds with his characterization after that point given how much more exploitative he's been portrayed as since. I'd almost wonder if Oda's plans for who the character should be changed at some point after that.
I would say it still matches his character because he was taking advantage of Ace's personality that time as well. I don't recall if ace didn't know about bb having the darkness fruit, or if he just didn't know all the ins and outs of the how it worked, either way he was not properly prepared for the fight. Ace still relied on his fruit too much and wasn't prepared to fight without it the way e.g. whitebeard was. BB took advantage of that and goaded him into a fight he was at a strong disadvantage in.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we didnt even see how the fight resolved, they just used two big attacks and then it cut away

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, we already know Blackbeard was a haki user from way back in mock town, plus the dude was able to injure Shanks while the latter wasn’t even loving around or otherwise not off guard, the Dark Dark fruit just kinda muddles things because it makes him take hits like a little girl. At least until he absorbs something like Munch Munch and turn into a cyborg...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think yall are downplaying BB quite a bit.
He accomplished a shitload just by being the backstabbingest, scallywaggiest oppurtunistic bastard in the series.

Everyone else became a monstrous punchman known in every corner of the world on the way but he got there incredibly loving fast from basically nothing once he showed his cards.

Bb might actually be the most clever character in the series. And the most like an actual pirate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbeard owns and is incredibly dangerous and scary.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Blackbeard is a good villain. The antithesis of Luffy. Plans on plans on plans.

Also he didn't go "toe to toe" with Sengoku. Buddha boy absolutely demolished him. Like it wasn't even remotely close.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I think his darkness fruit absorbing everything, including attacks, is a really interesting downside to that does a really good job of playing up how hard blackbeard is trying to game the one piece world. He's an interesting villain and I look forward to him becoming a more prominent part of the story finally, whenever it happens.

Also I just realized i'm really drat happy that we're gonna get some pages soon showing off Sanji's cooking abilities. I love when the cast get to use their talents in non combat scenarios, even if that scenario is baking a battle cake.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm just glad we're getting more One Piece at all, that one week break broke me mentally and spiritually.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I started reading One piece when they first arrived at Dressrossa because a friend showed me a picture of Doflamingo and he seemed like a fun character design. I caught up and was current with the story around the time Luffy needed 5 more mins.

Waiting sucks, Luffy! I wish I was as good at yelling you into getting up and finishing poo poo you started as Usopp is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

Blackbeard is a good villain. The antithesis of Luffy. Plans on plans on plans.

Also he didn't go "toe to toe" with Sengoku. Buddha boy absolutely demolished him. Like it wasn't even remotely close.

Which is why he's almost guaranteed to be our "final boss". He's basically Evil Luffy (only a lot smarter/stronger) and the Straw Hats already have a personal grudge against him. It just makes the most thematic sense (plus, he's probably the closest thing we've got to a primary villain in this series aside from the WG).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 18, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

imagine if oda took an insanely long break to finish the rest of the chapters and then released them at once. haha crazy

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

oddium posted:

imagine if oda took an insanely long break to finish the rest of the chapters and then released them at once. haha crazy

Don't you put that evil out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

oddium posted: