Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Roeben posted:

And what use is a "super yacht"?

Floating hospital. Drone mothership. Scout. Surprise bomb. Surprise pocket warship.

Use your imagination, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

On a slightly more meta note, I'd like to point out that one of the Iranian Tomcats has SARH Phoenixes which might be an interesting combination of useful and challenging since it could theoretically get in a huge range shot but would have to hold lock the whole time. Unfortunately, it's the newest ones (2012). I have no idea what's going on there (maybe the original seekers expired due to age and they had to build something domestic to replace them?) but it's a shame that one is way too new for our plane printing buddies.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Gripens and Invisboat

I'd like to get dropbear back into a plane sooner rather than later but riding 3d printed crap will do that just as well.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mirages & Invisibote

This is the coolest boat that doesn't have guns. So cool.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

David Corbett posted:

You know, I was hoping the latest triumph of the boat/bote/boʊt/ship lobby on us actually picking up a useful floating asset would at least have made them happy. Nope, recriminations forever!

It's people who hate the idea of owning something that floats that are being acrimonious my man. Bote lobby is ecstatic.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

paragon1 posted:

It's people who hate the idea of owning something that floats that are being acrimonious my man. Bote lobby is ecstatic.

Clearly, what we need then is the love bote

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

3dprinted Flankers seems like a great idea if we end up going with the Gripens, to get our hi-mid mix back on and save on Meteors and also because its a pretty plane.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
As long as I can get a 3D-printed B-52 slinging cruise missiles and erasing grid squares, I'm happy.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
To everyone worried about Gripen ammo issues, couple of things.

One, some goons have reached out to the devs about getting the Rb 99 (AMRAAM B) fitted to the NG's loadout. And they've been in touch with Saab (no really) to try and get top of the Gripen can carry this. So there's at least some chance we'll have a lower-cost backup coming in a future update.

Two, we can 3D print up a decent backup fighter to supplement the Gripens. 1980s Flankers with Alamos look quite promising, based on Quintann's tests. We should have enough Meteors to cover our initial operations until we can get some extra planes printed up.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 18, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I agree with your second point, but the first one is a really dangerous assumption to make. Relying on the devs of the game to change something for our planes to be useful is really.... let's say suboptimal. We have no idea when or even if that will get implemented, so let's not plan our purchases around it.

Totally agreed on printing some Flankers to plug the hole, though.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yeah, we have no idea when that update will be released, it could be tomorrow or 2018. That is one hell of a gamble.

I knew you were going to angle for the printaplane stuff to save us from financial ruin, but we can’t buy any new toolings yet so unless you want BISONS (I am totally ok with this for the record) we are going to have to wait a few cycles for those to show up. And they may randomly fall out of the sky which seems like a negative trait for a force which we are hinging our operations on.

PS team boat I am totally okay with the boat, don’t mistake my distaste for the Gripens for that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yooper posted:

Voting will continue a bit longer, but I think we've reached a sufficient majority that I won't have to re-poll. Right now it's assured we'll be using something from K&P. At the moment it's up between Gripens and Mirages. If it's close enough I might re-poll the BFLM and Ivanov folks for plane choice. But if it's not close I'll just call it.

This is Chuck with the Alabama National Guard. Lemme tell you somethin'. You motherf*****s are going to pay--do you hear me, boy?! Hired Goons is DONE! The Alabama National Guard is gunna show you the Sweet Home with a boot straight up your f***in' mercenary a**es! You know how much these Bradleys cost?! Listen, you ain't gonna SLEEP without wonderin' if Chuck's gonna come in the middle o' the night and shove GRITS in your f***in' a**! Ain't no one humiliates a Southerner like that, you got that?! If it's the last goddamn thing I do, I'll see the Hired Guns [sic] as a smoulderin' wreck, so help me Dixie.

...I refuse to dignify this man by typing up his swears in full.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Yay, we get the bote!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I see a lot of planning and conversation on Discord talking about the theaters and what planes the different countries have. Don't assume what you see as a countries Air Force is actually what it is in this timeline.

That is Serbia's air force. Which is not sufficient given the desire for carnage you guys have. Which means we need to bring in lots of hungry-hungry mercenaries. Add to that the roster of the Seattle Supersonics and suddenly we've got a challenge. (And lots of targets) This also prevents us from tailoring our air force for a particular theater. We best be flexible because who knows what we might see.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gripens + Invisibote

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HereticMIND posted:

We had the opportunity to get a bote for free. You and the rest of the bote lobby didn't take it. The opportunity slipped us by when the free bote sank. We lost out on getting a free bote because of your ineptitude and sheer hypocrisy.

I’m sorry, but free is better than paying out the goddamn nose for a shiny new toy.

End of the day: We are buying those drat Tomcats and you WILL say “Thank you, sir” when we get them.
I have some bad news, buddy.

Yooper posted:

Voting will continue a bit longer, but I think we've reached a sufficient majority that I won't have to re-poll. Right now it's assured we'll be using something from K&P. At the moment it's up between Gripens and Mirages. If it's close enough I might re-poll the BFLM and Ivanov folks for plane choice. But if it's not close I'll just call it.
No Tomcats today.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
In honor of Grey Hunter, the one and only crocotopus and our future boat captain, the Discord goons would like to give the invisiboat with a suitable name: Tokyo Bay Fortress.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Proposal: Gëwns Research and Orbital

Ok so now that the Bote lobby finally got their way, I say we do the unthinkable and don't put our company logo on it.

Instead we make a new company. A company whose ownership we'll do our damndest to try to keep hidden from everyone else. But first, some context.

Our shiny new Clothes iron looking dhingy isn't really a ship made for active military situations. It is made to sit and listen very steadily and quietly (which is why its shaped like that) for just about anything you can imagine and interpret it. Be it sound or EM spectrum, from submarines, surface vessels, Aircraft and satellites. What we are about to buy is not a tactical tool that suits our usual style of operations, but rather a highly sophisticated strategic intel gathering tool that the Norwegians built and the US paid for. As such it has some *amazing* ears on it, and a host of experts onboard to sift through it all. As such, it might be best to not publicly acknowledge that we own it as these things are difficult to defend.

The classic method here is to create a shell company and use it as a "research vessel". This is a well tried method used extensively by both NATO and the Russians wherein they just so happen to have a few discreete ships hanging around every major exercise you can imagne minding their own business with no way of knowing what they are actually doing, because listening is a passive action. If its good enough for major powers, it's good enough for us.

Therefore I propose that we establish a new company for the Goons. One Aimed towards research! towards the betterment of mankind! To take us places we've never dreamed! TO SPACE!

I propose we establish Gëwns Research and Orbital "because the CIA are tightwads who don't work for us" (this will be the secret company motto).

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 18, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Mirages + Invisibote with shel company for latter

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I second the shell company

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Bacarruda posted:

One, some goons have reached out to the devs about getting the Rb 99 (AMRAAM B) fitted to the NG's loadout. And they've been in touch with Saab (no really) to try and get top of the Gripen can carry this. So there's at least some chance we'll have a lower-cost backup coming in a future update.

:allears:

God bless grogs.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Astroclassicist posted:

:allears:

God bless grogs.

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. Someone just sent a tweet with @Saab on it. Nobody's going to get arrested for calling the head of the Swedish Air Force about capabilities.

Edit: What would making the shell company do mechanically? Make the Marjata allied but not controllable by us? Make it neutral? Leave its fate up to a die roll?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I would say that I feel like I don't really think we will get very far with the shell company thing. Considering the Tokyo Bay Fortress (née Marjeta) is literally a one-of-a-kind ship, so it's going to be a nightmare hiding its connection to us.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Plausible deniability. There’s not really any reason not to so I’m all for it.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I would say that I feel like I don't really think we will get very far with the shell company thing. Considering the Tokyo Bay Fortress (née Marjeta) is literally a one-of-a-kind ship, so it's going to be a nightmare hiding its connection to us.

Thats the beauty of this method. Everyone knows what the purpose of these ships are. Russians know it drat well and we know about theirs etc but because of its *civilian* nature there is very little that they can legally do to stop it, because a civilian ship sitting still listening in international waters while being unarmed is not illegal and sinking or boarding it would be seen as a major breach of international law.

Thus if our opponents don't know its ours its great, but if they do it's simply infuriating for them and they still can't do anything legal about it unless they present explicit evidence, which again is very hard to do with what is essentially a passive sensor.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 18, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

orcbuster posted:

Thats the beauty of this method. Everyone knows what the purpose of these ships are. Russians know it drat well and we know about theirs etc but because of its *civilian* nature there is very little that they can legally do to stop it, because a civilian ship sitting still listening in international waters while being unarmed is not illegal and sinking or boarding it would be seen as a major breach of international law.

Thus if our opponents don't know its ours its great, but if they do it's simply infuriating for them and they still can't do anything legal about it unless they present explicit evidence, which again is very hard to do with what is essentially a passive sensor.

But unless we're defending it, there's literally nothing stopping them from hiring some patsies willing to do Dirty Deeds Dirt Cheap and kill it.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

But unless we're defending it, there's literally nothing stopping them from hiring some patsies willing to do Dirty Deeds Dirt Cheap and kill it.

Attacking civilian research vessels not directly participating in a conflict in international waters isn't something we've seen any PMC do yet. If they want the ship dead there isn't much we can do to stop it anyway, but like this we make it as nasty as possible for them if they decide to do so. Again, this thing does not have much to offer us by operating in regular ops anyway.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 18, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
We’ve seen PMCs wage their own private war on US soil. We’ve seen the first nuke used in anger since ‘45. We’ve seen Reddit start a rebellion in Angola. This world doesn’t care about norms anymore.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm sure Snake Plissken's outfit can properly defend the bote.

Well if they finish the Thunderdome that is.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I mean, we ourselves have skirted very close to that line, what with sinking freighters for insurance fraud or buzzing passenger jets.

I don't think anyone will hesitate to kill the HG ship. That said, it's probably possible to stick it under our airbase protection SAM units if we really had to.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I love the idea that we branch into shell companies. That's some good in-character poo poo and an opportunity for some hilarious corporate satire. There should be a whole enterprise surrounding GH and his bote. Theme it as a simulation provider or after-incident analysis services for UK naval disaster events.

In the game mechanics besides in-character shell stuff, I am sure we'll want to be smart and disciplined. Or at least our version of that.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Quinntan posted:

We’ve seen PMCs wage their own private war on US soil. We’ve seen the first nuke used in anger since ‘45. We’ve seen Reddit start a rebellion in Angola. This world doesn’t care about norms anymore.

Actually, leaving civilian boats and planes alone have been a bit of a big deal in our ops. Point here is to make it as big of a pain in the rear end as possible for our opponent in more ways than just its capacity as an intel ship. If they decide to strike it we can still defend it under that pretext. But leaving it under a sam umbrella in our harbor stationary won't do us much good.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

orcbuster posted:

Actually, leaving civilian boats and planes alone have been a bit of a big deal in our ops. Point here is to make it as big of a pain in the rear end as possible for our opponent in more ways than just its capacity as an intel ship. If they decide to strike it we can still defend it under that pretext. But leaving it under a sam umbrella in our harbor stationary won't do us much good.

As pointed out we really don’t do that. Every theatre we have hosed with at least ostensibly civilian facilities at least once.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
We lose nothing by doing the Shell Company thing. Plus it amuses me greatly, which is a far more important factor in my decision to back it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
proposal: do botes properly

Protect the bote with more botes. Dutch to start, then lets buy em out and use em to start bote fleet.

Let me ask you goons a question. If we were asked to bomb the poo poo out of the marjata under a "neutral" flag, would you?

Because I sure as gently caress would, its not going to be after sea bass or cod, its obviously going to be working for someone that isn't us, giving them a sweet advantage.

Besides, we have hosed off the chinese and the russians and sure as gently caress one of them is gonna put 2 and 2 together and sink our bote in revenge.

We get the bote we protect the bote.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Protect the bote with more botes. Dutch to start, then lets buy em out and use em to start bote fleet.

Let me ask you goons a question. If we were asked to bomb the poo poo out of the marjata under a "neutral" flag, would you?

Because I sure as gently caress would, its not going to be after sea bass or cod, its obviously going to be working for someone that isn't us, giving them a sweet advantage.

Besides, we have hosed off the chinese and the russians and sure as gently caress one of them is gonna put 2 and 2 together and sink our bote in revenge.

This sounds like something we should keep in mind. Do we still have the Doorman's.
Also I must insist that if when we get the boat, we should name it Grey Hutner, you know why!

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

DesperateDan posted:

Or we can just stick with our Finnish theme and save up to 3D print some Helsinki-class missile boats, the versions with RBS-15s and depth charges are in the allowable window. We would still be vulnerable from the air, but it would at least be a start.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Im sure between all of hired goons we can come up with a decent story of how this national asset level ELINT bote is catagorizing galactic radiation levels or something.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

But sir, we are merely a humble paparazzi vessel, innocently listening in on all the celebrity sexts in Europe simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

What's a group/organization people won't like in 2023? Let's just say were using the bote to make sure they don't do anything bad.