Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Mr. Whale posted:

I found phoenix ok as rf even if it was slow. Chimera with vulnerability on the other hand :rip:

12k armor, 12k evasion, blind, and fortify and I can facetank his adds on vulnerability or one damage mod :greencube: They do hurt though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Sorry DBK, I am the worst lab scammer

If you disconnect for any reason in a Lab, all of your relevant items (treasure keys) will drop for everyone else. Don't worry about it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Inglonias posted:

If you disconnect for any reason in a Lab, all of your relevant items (treasure keys) will drop for everyone else. Don't worry about it.

He probably got dbk to run him through for his last 2 ascendancy points though :v:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Is uberlab that much of a step up over merc lab?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NPR Journalizard posted:

yes, you might be able to skill throught the traps by being patient, but Izaro is a difficulty wall

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NPR Journalizard posted:

Depends very heavily on your build and whether you have the survivability and mobility to do Izaro with minimal risk. The Izaro gimmicks that increase his damage are also a huge loving pain in comparison to their merciless versions.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Count Uvula posted:

He probably got dbk to run him through for his last 2 ascendancy points though :v:

Was the opposite actually! I owed him one for helping me with an annoying challenge a couple days ago.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Just running it to ascend is probably about the difficulty of the boss of a white beacon/shipyard, but I'd say fully buffed izaro is about as tough as minotaur on a white map.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
when I run uber for the first time (to ascend) I usually make sure to grab every last dark shrine I can, even when they are out of the way

if you get even one "real" shrine effect the izaro fights become way easier

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
How do you guys run lab for profit. I was doing some runs yesterday getting max keys from Izaro, argus + any darkshrines on the way. Would you guys recommend I also go for the chest along the way?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

How do you guys run lab for profit. I was doing some runs yesterday getting max keys from Izaro, argus + any darkshrines on the way. Would you guys recommend I also go for the chest along the way?

Depends really; if you're a dedicate lab build that has constant high move speed and can burst Izaro down, skip the chests. If you have decent single target but are an average build, doing every bonus chest will probably average out to being about equal in value when you consider offerings are a couple chaos. I do all the boxes because I enjoy the lab, but I never run more than 1-2 in a day.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The silver chests are usually pretty bad, on the other hand I've gotten a kaom's heart from the unique item chest once so, it sorta can even out.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Do curious boxes for the extra treasure key, skip labyrinth troves unless the puzzle/gauntlet in front of it is a fast one. Silver chests I mostly skipped unless the layout is super convenient to get both the silver key and the chest itself.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Well I'm no QoTF dedicated lab runner with a million movespeed. I go as fast as whirling blades will take me and can phase izaro in a second or two when I don't have to wait to get the extra key.
Curious boxes spawn at the blue G or P in the poelab notes, correct? Do you also look at the ones off route? Do they spawn in the same place on the same day or do they randomize between runs?

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 17, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Well I'm no QoTF dedicated lab runner with a million movespeed. I go as fast as whirling blades will take me and can phase izaro in a second or two when I don't have to wait to get the extra key.
Curious boxes spawn at the blue G or P in the poelab notes, correct? Do you also look at the ones off route? Do they spawn in the same place on the same day or do they randomize between runs?

Yeah, on the poelab notes the blue G or P can be a curious lockbox or a labyrinth trove. There are always 2 curious boxes and 2 troves in each lab, but their locations are randomized on every run. More often than not I would check the ones off the main path too unless I had already found the 2 curious boxes, but it kind of depends on the layout. Being off the main path isn't always a horrible thing. Sometimes it can be off the main path but it is 2 fast indoor areas, rather than 1 large obnoxious outdoor area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm at work so I can't check for myself, what's the difference between PoE-TradeMacro and PoE-ItemInfo? I guess both got a new release today, is one a subset of the other or something?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

trade macro includes item info right?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
It did when I downloaded it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

trade macro includes item info right?

That's kinda what it looks like, which I guess makes sense.

I'm thinking of spending some money and uncompleting the vast majority of T10 through T12, and maybe T13 too. Thinking I want to do nothing at all for T10 because gently caress that whole tier (I shaped Underground River to t15), shaped Racecourses and maybe Wastelands for variety, just Vaults and maybe one other T12 whose name escapes me, and Gorges for 13. Does this make sense or is it not going to work with the way map drops are calculated?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

That's kinda what it looks like, which I guess makes sense.

I'm thinking of spending some money and uncompleting the vast majority of T10 through T12, and maybe T13 too. Thinking I want to do nothing at all for T10 because gently caress that whole tier (I shaped Underground River to t15), shaped Racecourses and maybe Wastelands for variety, just Vaults and maybe one other T12 whose name escapes me, and Gorges for 13. Does this make sense or is it not going to work with the way map drops are calculated?

Well if you uncomplete ALL your T10s you're not accomplishing anything- you'll get T9s instead when it wants to drop a T10 map. You're not running T9 maps are you? Optimally you'd want to uncomplete the very worst maps in a tier but leave something there so that it can drop.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

McFrugal posted:

Well if you uncomplete ALL your T10s you're not accomplishing anything- you'll get T9s instead when it wants to drop a T10 map. You're not running T9 maps are you? Optimally you'd want to uncomplete the very worst maps in a tier but leave something there so that it can drop.

That's why the only T10 you have is the T5 you've shaped.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the other hand the content I probably do most (once a character is capable) and most enjoy is T16+, so reducing their droprate by mucking about with the atlas at t10-t13 seems counterproductive. I dunno. :shrug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Apparently increased flask effect duration nodes on the passive tree are reducing flask duration instead :v: Wonder what patch introduced that bug

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

sometimes I wonder if they do poo poo just to see what people do and don't notice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

sometimes I wonder if they do poo poo just to see what people do and don't notice

it'd certainly be an interesting way to analyze what matters and what doesn't in a given league, yeah

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
applying information warfare methods to poe patching wasnt something I expected this league tbh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

Fun fact: Back in the day people were complaining that shock was too powerful. Only problem was that shock was bugged and didn't actually do anything at all.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

TheRat posted:

Fun fact: Back in the day people were complaining that shock was too powerful. Only problem was that shock was bugged and didn't actually do anything at all.

I remember this.

Placebo effect is a bastard.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
i dun got purged.

help

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

funmanguy posted:

i dun got purged.

help

same, i need another invite

my char name is the n-word but the e has an accent mark above it

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Hey, its good to be back.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

funmanguy posted:

Hey, its good to be back.
gently caress you funman

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

First try at taking down Atziri and I almost got it figured it out before running out of portals. Switching from flicker strike to frenzy let me reliably burst her and the clones down. Unfortunately I only had two portals left by the time I figured that out, and whatever the glowing circles are, (flameblast?), they are enough to one-shot me when I'm not leeching life.

Is 42xx life too little? My resistances are maxed, except for chaos.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Atziri does Storm Call and Flameblast, as well as empowered versions of those. Empowered Storm Call drops a bunch of bright yellow circles that fire after a short delay, empowered Flameblast is two circles rapidly expand and fill up almost the entire arena before popping off. Either one will one shot most characters. Not getting hit in the first place is very important when fighting her (oh, and not touching the mirror clone).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Taking out multistrike makes atziri's split phase a lot more manageable as flicker.

Swapping in lacerate isn't a bad idea if you're worried too, might be more damage than frenzy (this is what I did for my Uber lab run at least)

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
literally anyone post their in game name right now and I'll give you several exalted in harbinger

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 19, 2017

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CubeTheory posted:

literally anyone post their in game name right now and I'll give you several exalted in harbinger
BrazenHarbinger , that's awesome.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Front Seat Gamer, the podcast hosted by 3 of the guys working at GGG, just uploaded the first part of their podcast with Chris Wilson. I haven't seen it plugged anywhere on the PoE website or Reddit, so I thought it would be worth linking here: https://frontseatgamer.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/67-chris-wilson/

It's a more general podcast so the discussion is focused on the design and history of PoE and nothing really about current meta, upcoming content, or Harbinger league. That said, there's a bunch of good content from Chris. Some highlights:

- Chris is confident that Star Citizen will actually come out and will be a real game. Also he thinks that crowdfunded games should always work towards having an early access beta so that they can get community feedback, and that the current trending thought that "you only get 1 chance to launch so early access always hurts your game in the long run" is false as long as you do your marketing correctly.
- PoE was always meant to be a successful business venture, and that's why Chris was willing to throw his life savings into it. He was confident that there was a hole in the market for past D2 players that he could fill, and it was never just a "let's do this as a hobby and see if it works out."
- Two major influences on PoE that no one has ever really talked about are Maplestory and Guild Wars 1. Maplestory is a big part of what convinced Chris that he could make a free to play game catered towards a western market and make it work, because at the time Maplestory was hitting it big there weren't really any western f2p multiplayer games. Guild Wars is very understated because the influence is something extremely fundamental to gameplay that you would never normally think about, but the idea for how players log into a particular gateway and make an instance of a zone on their realm, but can freely move to instances created in any realm came from Guild Wars.
- While the company was just 3 friends in Chris's garage, they wasted a lot of days playing video games together, because at that point there wasn't really any money going anywhere in or out of the "company." Once he did the paperwork needed to officially hire the first employee, they didn't want to feel like they were slacking off doing nothing while someone was actually hard at work so they started taking it seriously.
- "The point of the game is to get better items than your friends so you can feel superior to them." Ties in with his thoughts on trade system in general, but it's always been clear Chris hates the idea of items being easy to get, either through high loot leagues or a very fluid market.
- He thinks that the RMAH in Diablo 3 was actually a very well justified and logical design decision. At that time no one thought an ARPG would work without being trading focused, especially not a sequel to D2 which was extremely trading focused. The logic is that in any game with a meaningful trade system, you're going to have 3rd party groups step in and try to turn a real life profit on running a sketchy gray market for the items. Blizzard really didn't want another d2jsp/a huge resurgence of d2jsp, so they put in an RMAH which means no one will try to spend real money on items from a shady 3rd party site. Also they say that believing the RMAH was about trying to squeeze out extra money from players is really underthinking it, because if any company in the world had no reason to need the bit of extra profit that the RMAH generated, it was Blizzard.
- For a while Chris did work on balance, and he actually ran into some issues where if he published a popular build of the week and he actually played that build for a long time and enjoyed it, it was hard for him to say the build was overpowered and nerf it. Now he doesn't have to care about certain skills he's playing being broken because he's not the one responsible for any skill balance decisions.
- Chris thinks Binding of Isaac is the closest to a perfect game that's ever been made.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Infinite Karma posted:

BrazenHarbinger , that's awesome.

Enjoy your stuff. Not sure on current values, but probably like 25 ex worth there I think. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ultima66 posted:

- Chris is confident that Star Citizen will actually come out and will be a real game.

Man, this is a lovely way to find out someone has mental problems...

Ultima66 posted:

- Chris thinks Binding of Isaac is the closest to a perfect game that's ever been made.

...nevermind.