Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

So if you manually install nvidia drivers now, you get ansel along with them. There isn't an opt out. There is, however, an opt-out for the geforce experience, which is where the toggle to turn off ansel lives.

I ended up with an impossible-to-disable ansel a few weeks ago and had to hunt down and kill the exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im legit excited about onedrive files on demand, security improvements, gpu in task manager, dpi improvements, updating improvements. emoji bar and fluent design system is nice too.

yeah theres a bunch of nice new stuff like that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Game mode does other stuff like suppressing AV sig updates or background installation/staging of windows updates which could make your game go lovely and you should just leave it alone

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

So if you manually install nvidia drivers now, you get ansel along with them. There isn't an opt out. There is, however, an opt-out for the geforce experience, which is where the toggle to turn off ansel lives.

I ended up with an impossible-to-disable ansel a few weeks ago and had to hunt down and kill the exe
i didn't even know that was a thing you could turn off, i just got the popup in shadow of mordor

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Game mode does other stuff like suppressing AV sig updates or background installation/staging of windows updates which could make your game go lovely and you should just leave it alone
lmao i didn't know this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

id rather have windows updates than video games

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
does game mode just use a list of process names because some older games don't trigger game mode at all, even when you put them in fullscreen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it also does suppress work of other background software, which can interfere with receiving email or message notifications or host of other stuff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

does game mode just use a list of process names because some older games don't trigger game mode at all, even when you put them in fullscreen

Yeah it explicitly knows what games to turn it on for if they have been written for it but I think you can hit Win+G for the game bar to force a game to use it

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it also does suppress work of other background software, which can interfere with receiving email or message notifications or host of other stuff

Good. I'm Jacking In.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

if it is tied to game bar now then yes because game bar is tied to microsoft-whitelisted processes

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also with the fall creators update, it looks like instead of breaking the updates into skus (Feature update to Windows 10 Education N, version xxxx; Feature update to Windows 10 Education, version xxxx; Feature update to Windows 10 Enterprise N, version xxxx; Feature update to Windows 10 Enterprise, version xxxx; etc.) it's just one update for all skus. still different versions for each language though

it also looks like it's been made available to windows 10 enterprise without having to go through wsus

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 17, 2017

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

anthonypants posted:

it also looks like it's been made available to windows 10 enterprise without having to go through wsus

ready for the bandwidth nightmare this may become

orange sky
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Wait what

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i said you can get the windows 10 feature update version 1709, aka windows 10 fall creators update, for windows 10 enterprise without having to go through wsus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I guess it was to prevent users from installing the update without getting approval via wsus but then they realized how few people properly maintain wsus so they just published it to everyone.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that plus since it's not a per-sku update anymore they wouldn't be able to restrict the enterprise sku from getting it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm usually pretty good at dreaming up some reasonable explanations for bugs and surprising behaviors, but i am rather drawing a blank on this one

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'm usually pretty good at dreaming up some reasonable explanations for bugs and surprising behaviors, but i am rather drawing a blank on this one

An infinite loop due to the os performing an "who's on first" skit with itself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im thinking it's checking for a some kind of special internal system account whose name is dynamic but contains "user" & then it tries to match the remaining part of the name with some stuff in a non-logarithmic search

lol pretty far fetched but eh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

no, it's the loud mouthbreaters that can't stop making GBS threads up slashdot and reddit threads that causes that impression

i hate that so many of them gather around gentoo, because there's no better gentoo than a gentoo running with systemd. i guess the default is openrc still because if they switched it would trigger a flamefest that would never end

gentoo is ground zero for slashdot mouthbreathers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only gentoo nerd i know is one of three people ive put on ignore anywhere on internet since ive been using it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

checking for "user" vs user maybe

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the only gentoo nerd i know is one of three people ive put on ignore anywhere on internet since ive been using it

dang

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I got the fall update last week and it has been pretty good so far. The only real negative was it resetting a bunch of settings but at the same time it also fixed my audio drivers so I can't really complain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dodoman posted:

The only real negative was it resetting a bunch of settings

this is the most obnoxious loving thing with the major feature updates. there is literally no reason to do this except to push users into using features/services they already explicitly opted out of.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

funroll loops y'all

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Zil posted:

An infinite loop due to the os performing an "who's on first" skit with itself.

dang, too long for a thread title

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dodoman posted:

I got the fall update last week and it has been pretty good so far. The only real negative was it resetting a bunch of settings but at the same time it also fixed my audio drivers so I can't really complain
same, but it fixed my search problems

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dont be mean to me posted:

dang, too long for a thread title

maybe something like

Microsoft thread: an infinite loop of "who's on first"

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 18, 2017

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

Microsoft thread: an infinite loop of "who's on first"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

every time you tether your phone to your win 10 laptop, it's counted as a brand new network

is network 14 a home or public network

microsoft

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that means your phone is presenting a different network every time you tether

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/777mb6/we_are_the_microsoft_excel_team_ask_us_anything

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

please stop putting cc numbers and other sensitive info in Excel files

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Unless you use RMS (or AIP whatever)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

that's just an example, could be an invoice number, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

quote:

ZachDamnit 188 points 5 hours ago
Why can't the auto-scientific notation default be disabled?

quote:

I know that it can be frustrating entering values and having this happen. We are investigating what we can do to make this better.  You can help by Voting for this issue. For now, you can select a range and format as text prior to entering the bar codes / id numbers. -Eric [Microsoft]

get votin'
https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...umbers-actually

e: currently the 3rd highest voted entry on that site