Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
All three names are references to girls in Higurashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
C. Rika. Kyrie being a good mom with a straightforward logic puzzle. Among the three Rika is the only to ever become a witch, so obviously she's the only one capable of speaking Red Truth. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well that seems surprisingly straightforward. C. Rika, obviously.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
A simple logic puzzle is fitting for Kyrie. C. Rika. And yeah, it helps that it's totally the truth, though it took a bit to connect Miyoko to Miyo.

Higurashi references!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
C. Rika

I've only seen the Higurashi animes... so who's Miyoko?

Edit: ohhhhhh duh :doh:

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 17, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

witchcore ricepunk posted:

C. Rika

I've only seen the Higurashi animes... so who's Miyoko?

Someone in the animes if you saw Kai. Takano Miyo.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Stuffed Toy

"That's right! Nice job, Ange-chan! Hard to imagine that such a smart girl is related to that dolt of a father!"
"Yeah, sorry for being a dolt. Nice going, Ange! Did you think of all the combinations?"
"Yeah. If Miyoko is the oldest, then what Satoko says is true. Only the oldest person is supposed to tell the truth, so that doesn't make sense."
"That's right. Then what if Satoko is the oldest?"
"If she is, then Rika, who says that Miyoko is a liar, would be telling the truth, which doesn't work. So, Rika has to be the oldest."
"Good job. Here's my medal for you. Congrats."
"Thank you, Mom!"

"Rudolf is up next. I wonder what sort of puzzle he has for us."
"Well, guess I'll do a liar puzzle too. Let's crank it up a notch this time..."

Eva's Hint

Rika Satoko Miyoko
Rika Miyoko Satoko
Satoko Rika Miyoko
Satoko Miyoko Rika
Miyoko Rika Satoko
Miyoko Satoko Rika

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 7, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ProfessorProf posted:

It's a reference to Rika from Higurashi, AKA Bernkastel's former human incarnation.

Thanks, Prof.

So let's see.... Miyoko has to be on the left; if she's telling the truth, she can't be saying she's somewhere else. Since she's telling the truth, Satoko is on the right, which leaves Rika for the middle.

E. Miyoko, Rika, Satoko

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Yep, E. Miyoko Rika Sayoko. That really wasn't that much harder, Rudolf...

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

"Crank it up a notch"... Rudolf, you're taking it easy on your daughter.

E. Miyoko, Rika, Satoko

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
What does the 'aren't necessarily lying' bit have to do with it? I get that it's because they're wearing masks and can't tell who the others are, so they're mistaken rather than lying, but why bring it up?

Graylien fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 18, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Graylien posted:

What does the 'aren't necessarily lying' but have to do with it? I get that it's because they're wearing masks and can't tell who the others are, so they're mistaken rather than lying, but why bring it up?

Well, Rika's telling the truth.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
^^^ Just realized how appropriate it is that only Rika and Miyoko actually know what's going on.

E I got that answer so quickly that I went around testing other options to see if there was some trick, but no, Rudolf and Kyrie just gave straightforward puzzles that are easy to solve. Rudolf and Kyrie want Ange to feel smart, happy, and accomplished more than they want to win. Rudolf and Kyrie are the best parents in this whole story. (Not the fiercest competition, though.)

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

Cyouni posted:

Well, Rika's telling the truth.

...and I have no reading comprehension. Thanks.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Graylien posted:

What does the 'aren't necessarily lying' bit have to do with it? I get that it's because they're wearing masks and can't tell who the others are, so they're mistaken rather than lying, but why bring it up?

It's so you don't get caught up trying to find a solution where exactly one is telling the truth while the other two are wrong. Easy mode for his daughter, basically :v:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
E. Miyoko, Rika, Satoko

I guess the cousins must be next!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

^^^ Just realized how appropriate it is that only Rika and Miyoko actually know what's going on.

E I got that answer so quickly that I went around testing other options to see if there was some trick, but no, Rudolf and Kyrie just gave straightforward puzzles that are easy to solve. Rudolf and Kyrie want Ange to feel smart, happy, and accomplished more than they want to win. Rudolf and Kyrie are the best parents in this whole story. (Not the fiercest competition, though.)

I think that having them that way is likely part of the point in Battler's game.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
We are, for the record, very nearly done with this diversion. Thanks for playing along and for your patience.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This feels like EP 4 except instead of a sad story about Ange, it's a long puzzle section with Ange. I'm seeing a pattern here.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Cyouni posted:

I think that having them that way is likely part of the point in Battler's game.

Yeah thats definitely battlers 'plan'. Will it succeed?No........In a minor way? maybe??

I am going with E; Miyoko, rika, satoko

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
Going with E and I didn't even notice that it's Miyoko and Rika that are telling the truth at first. Enjoying the nods to what was going on in Higurashi.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

lotus circle posted:

This feels like EP 4 except instead of a sad story about Ange, it's a long puzzle section with Ange. I'm seeing a pattern here.

It's not actually very long, it's just been stretched out a lot of Prof doing a ton of smaller updates.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If none of them know who is who, how can Miyoko be telling the truth when she has to be just guessing :thunk:

Oh well, E. seems to be the only order that fits, yeah.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Stuffed Toy

"That's right. Miyoko is supposed to be honest. So, once someone says that someone else is Miyoko, they can't be her."
"So, since the middle one and the right one aren't Miyoko, the left one automatically is. And since Miyoko speaks the truth, then it's also true that the kid on the right is Satoko."
"Which means that the only kid left, the one in the middle, is Rika. Perfect!"
"You solved it like it was nothing! Ange, you really are smart like your Mom!"

Dad rubbed my cheek and hugged me.

"Listen up, Ange. Life will lead you through countless puzzles. Aunt Eva is here to help you now, so it's okay to rely on her. However, you have to solve most problems in life by yourself. When that happens, you must remember the advice you've gotten from those who have helped you in the past."
"Okay. I get it."
"...Eva nee-san. Take care of Ange."
"Yes, of course."

Even though the cousins were the only ones who hadn't given us puzzles, Mom spoke as though I was leaving on a long, long trip. Weird.

"Let's go, Ange-chan. The game will be over soon."
"I wonder what Grandpa will give us for getting all these medals...!"
"Me too. Still, we've already gotten a lot that's far more wonderful than that prize."
"What do you mean...?"
"We've all had a lot of fun talking to you like this, Ange-chan."
"...? I don't get it. You're weird."
"I'm sorry. Let's go then. Now, all that's left are the cousins and Beatrice, I guess."

BGM: White Shadow

"No, that's not it. "

Rudolf put a cigarette in his mouth and toyed with his lighter. Though he should have done this easily, he somehow managed to mess up several times.

"I... wanted to take this to my grave. No, to hide it away in a cat box. If I just kept my mouth shut until tomorrow night, I'd be able to do that. It'd be easy."
"..."
"I... might be killed tonight. That's what I wanted to talk about."
"...I knew. I knew that you had something you were hiding."
"Did you? Guess I still need more practice."
"...If it isn't about Ange, then who is it about? Not Asumu-san, surely..."
"It's about Battler."
"...That comes to the same thing. I've tried to behave as an adult towards Battler-kun, right? Even though he's Asumu's son, I've tried to treat him the same as Ange. I do think of him as a child in our family, so don't worry."
"He's not just a kid in our family. He's my kid and yours."
"I'm sorry, but you'll have to let me draw the line here."
"You don't get it. He's my kid... and yours."
"...What?"
"You didn't have a stillbirth. Asumu did. Back then, when I was double-timing the two of you, I got myself stuck and couldn't find a way out..."
"You don't mean... You don't mean..."

The sin Rudolf committed when his mind was at its most chaotic... was to switch the two babies.

"I was better off financially back then. I was young, and I didn't give a drat about what lengths I went to. I threatened the hospital with money... and switched your kid with Asumu's."

If Kyrie had a child, Rudolf would have two households to worry about. However, if Kyrie had a stillbirth and the child who survived was Asumu's, that would settle everything. The stillbirth might even have given him a chance to break off his relationship with Kyrie. It was a grave sin, one that simply couldn't be forgiven as an act of youthful enthusiasm and immaturity.

"...There's a chance she figured it out. However, she raised Battler, who loved her as a mother, with all the affection she had."

And in Kyrie and Battler's cases, he had to atone for an even greater sin. He stole every moment of everyday family life that they should have shared as mother and son. Until this very day, Kyrie had believed that Battler was Asumu's child. Though she had acted kindly towards him on the surface, she had always kept a distance in her heart between herself and Asumu's son. Finally, Rudolf's conscience had been unable to bear seeing her like that.

"...But, I..."

Kyrie sank into a crouch, unable to speak.

"...Feel free to curse me. In fact, I couldn't complain if you killed me where I stand. That's how horrible my sin against you is. This is the secret I wanted to confess before the cat box closes over us."
"Battler... kun..."
"I'm so sorry, Kyrie. And to you, Battler..."

BGM: Cage

"Yeah. Now, there's only George onii-chan, Jessica onee-chan, Battler onii-chan, and Beatrice left."
"Oh, they're finally here."
"We could hardly wait. Thought you might have forgotten about us."

Finally, we challenged George onii-chan and Jessica onee-chan.

"Sorry to keep you two waiting. So, did you think up some incredibly hard ones for us?"
"We decided to give you one puzzle together."
"My, my, even one riddle from this pair sounds challenging."
"It's a special puzzle we made just for Ange-chan, so good luck."
"I'll solve it. I'll definitely solve it!"
"Okay, then let's go. Jessica-chan, let's set them out."
"There you go."

They placed three small, colorful, cubic boxes on the table.

"Ange-chan, do you think you can guess which one has the medal inside...?"
"Can't do it without a hint. That's just luck!"
"That's right. So far, this is just a test of luck with three choices. In other words, your odds of winning are one in three."
"George. This isn't a quiz, right? It really is just a test of luck."
"The puzzle comes later. Let's move ahead."
"Okay, Ange. Which of these has a medal inside, do you think? Just say the first one that pops into your head."

A red box, a blue box, and a green box. There's no way to know which one it's in. This really is... a test of luck. In a way, this is even worse than a hard puzzle. After all, if you solve a hard puzzle, you'll always be right. But in the very beginning, I picked the almond with a one in 15 chance. Compared to that, a one in 3 chance is 5 times easier to get.

There's no point worrying about it. Might as well test my luck again.

"Then, this one."
"The red box? Then let's set this box right in front of you. Wouldn't it be great if there was a medal inside? So, let's start with a little warm-up. What's the probability of the medal being inside that red box?"
"One in 3."
"That's right. If this really is a simple test of luck."
"Heheheheh. Are you sure, Ange? Are you a~bsolutely sure you're happy with that red box? After all, we're gonna make you open it in a second. If it's a trap, it'll be re~ally scary."

Jessica onee-chan grinned threateningly.

It's not fair for them to scare me like that, not after I've already made my choice. And I know. All of the boxes have the same probability of having a medal in them. Whether I try to open the red box or change my mind and try the blue or green boxes, the probability will be the same. So, stick with your first choice is my motto. I'll stay with this red box. I won't change my mind.

"I'm happy with the red box. I'll bet on it!"
"That's the spirit. But seriously, the traps a~re terrifying. Why don't we show you just how scary they are?"

Jessica onee-chan laughed creepily, then opened the green box.

I was a little scared. No, that's a lie. I was really scared... If that came flying out of the box I opened right at my face, I might fall to my knees and start crying...

"Ange~, are you sure you want the red box...? Something really scary might come flying out, right...? Are you sure you don't want to switch to the blue box...?"
"I'm not scared! I'll stick with the red box!"
"Hahahahaha, you're going a bit overboard, Jessica-chan. So, now one of the boxes is gone, and there's only two left. This is where the puzzle starts, Ange-chan."
"You mean, which box is the medal in?"
"We have the red box that's been sitting in front of you the whole time, and the blue box here in front of me. Which has a higher probability of having a medal inside it? That's the puzzle."

Eva's Hint

The red box has a higher probability
They're both the same
The blue box has a higher probability

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 7, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So baby swap theory might be true.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
Wait.........they are doing that lesson here? Now? i thought battler would do it not jessica and george.

Also, we get...confirmation, of battlers true parentage. It was pretty much as expected but it seems like rudolf is the only one behind it (rather than kinzo being involved).

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

The witch side must've had quite a laugh when someone brought up the Monty Hall problem those couple of weeks ago. So the answer is C, although it's still unintuitive as gently caress.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Yeah, nice timing on that discussion. C.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Ahahahahahahahaha C - The blue box.

So yeah, we'd already figured out that Asumu's and Kyrie's babies were switched. What I remain more interested in is how Beatrice knew that in Ep. 4, and why it seemed to mean so much to her - although I guess at least the parallel between Asumu and Natsuhi both being given babies who weren't their own to raise is obvious.

Confused Llama fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 19, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
C. Welp.

Aaaaand there goes any shot Rudolf had at being redeemable. That's was pretty anticlimactic really.

Confused Llama posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha C - The blue box.

So yeah, we'd already figured out that Asumu's and Kyrie's babies were switched. What I remain more interested in is how Beatrice knew that in Ep. 4, and why it seemed to mean so much to her - although I guess at least the parallel between Asumu and Natsuhi both being given babies who weren't their own to raise is obvious.
Can't speak to how she knew except maybe 'magic', but I'm pretty sure it didn't really matter to her, except as a way to flip the table by making Battler question his own identity.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
C

And it all comes full circle back to Monty Hall.

Rune Full Moon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 20, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ZiegeDame posted:

C. Welp.

Aaaaand there goes any shot Rudolf had at being redeemable. That's was pretty anticlimactic really.

Yeah... That's one of the more reprehensible actions right there, and it says something that it stabs so deep to hear confirmation of something I suspected for a while. Congrats to Rudolph on being the worst Ushi sibling, I guess.

And yeah, it's C.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm glad we can all agree that Krauss is the best sibling.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh hello there Monty Hall. C.

Goddammit Rudolf. We all already knew it, but still.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The best (read: least awful) Ushiromiya sibling is Beatrice :rip:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah... That's one of the more reprehensible actions right there, and it says something that it stabs so deep to hear confirmation of something I suspected for a while. Congrats to Rudolph on being the worst Ushi sibling, I guess.

And yeah, it's C.

If Asumu hadn't up and died, Battler would have grown up in a reasonably stable two-parent household rather than being the lovechild of a single lady with anger issues and her boss.

That's not the rationale he gives, and, yeah, it's a really lovely thing to do to Kyrie, but it may, if you leave emotion out of it, be the better solution for a greater number of people- Rudolph, Battler and Asumu vs. Kyrie.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Kytrarewn posted:

If Asumu hadn't up and died, Battler would have grown up in a reasonably stable two-parent household rather than being the lovechild of a single lady with anger issues and her boss.

That's not the rationale he gives, and, yeah, it's a really lovely thing to do to Kyrie, but it may, if you leave emotion out of it, be the better solution for a greater number of people- Rudolph, Battler and Asumu vs. Kyrie.

It does say something that the least lovely thing Rudolf could do in that situation is divorce a woman immediately after she had a stillbirth.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rudolf is a god drat coward. He got into this mess by not being up front with the both of them - Kyrie definitely knew, but I think it's implied Asumu suspected but never got a solid confirmation that he's still seeing Kyrie - and letting them choose what they'd want out of it.

Then the baby switch, too cowardly to deal with what his father would say about his wife having a stillbirth, or his wife's reaction, so he essentially steals Battler from his mother.

Then he hid it from everyone because he's scared of how they would react - knowing how jealous Kyrie is, and how she no doubt is seething at being saddled with Battler's kid to be with him.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Confused Llama posted:

What I remain more interested in is how Beatrice knew that in Ep. 4, and why it seemed to mean so much to her

Like ZD said, it didn't matter to Beatrice at all. She knew about it the whole time and only brought it up when she wanted to step down from the game but wasn't allowed. As for how she knew about it, Rudolf did talk about the matter with Krauss and Natsuhi sometime after Battler left, right? Maybe Yasu, Genji or Kumasawa overheard that conversation or some other one Krauss and Natsuhi had later and then figured it out. Maybe it's some kind of meta magic. Doesn't really seem like a very important detail to know.

e: To be clear, he talked about his relationship with Kyrie, probably not that Battler was her son. Still, Yasu must have found out about it somehow after all.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

tiistai posted:

Like ZD said, it didn't matter to Beatrice at all. She knew about it the whole time and only brought it up when she wanted to step down from the game but wasn't allowed. As for how she knew about it, Rudolf did talk about the matter with Krauss and Natsuhi sometime after Battler left, right? Maybe Yasu, Genji or Kumasawa overheard that conversation or some other one Krauss and Natsuhi had later and then figured it out. Maybe it's some kind of meta magic. Doesn't really seem like a very important detail to know.

e: To be clear, he talked about his relationship with Kyrie, probably not that Battler was her son. Still, Yasu must have found out about it somehow after all.

I think it was due to genji. When yasu solved the epithat they mentioned that all truths would be revealed to them so they could lead or destroy the family as they wished. Im sure that since kinzo figured it out and probably assisted with the hosptial cover-up as well (that would require alot of money and he would need to petition kinzo to recover his funds). Im sure its from them that yasu learned about battlers origins (also they could have just guessed and waited till the game itself to confirm).

Also C is my guess.

• Locked thread