Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Online corporate training drains my soul

:eng101: That's its whole and entire purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

From what I understand, they actually had a site all-but-ready to go, when Mr. Randian canned the 95% done project. Because nobody will ever buy over the internet.

loving idiot businesspeople. Sears has fond memories for me as a kid. Also, with our outlet closing, I literally have nowhere to buy appliances locally.

"Captain of Industry" :rolleyes:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When I worked there, around mid 2012 there were a whole bunch of big store closings, which led to an influx of upper-level techs. Which is the reason I never got the promotion I was training for, got stuck as permanent lube tech, and ended up quitting and going back to school. So... thanks, I guess?

That same year Lord Eddie bought 1 or 2 brand-new million-dollar mansions with the revenue from liquidating everything. FYGM.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enourmo posted:

When I worked there, around mid 2012 there were a whole bunch of big store closings, which led to an influx of upper-level techs. Which is the reason I never got the promotion I was training for, got stuck as permanent lube tech, and ended up quitting and going back to school. So... thanks, I guess?

That same year Lord Eddie bought 1 or 2 brand-new million-dollar mansions with the revenue from liquidating everything. FYGM.

not to excuse how poorly he's done but when you're a billionaire you dont need to liquidate any property to buy mansions

he's loaned 1.6B to sears so far so he's probably got plenty of money

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Siochain posted:

From what I understand, they actually had a site all-but-ready to go, when Mr. Randian canned the 95% done project. Because nobody will ever buy over the internet.

loving idiot businesspeople. Sears has fond memories for me as a kid. Also, with our outlet closing, I literally have nowhere to buy appliances locally.

baby boomers dont like adapting or changing because what's good enough for them should be good enough for everyone else

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Still not a great look to do it while the company you own is imploding,

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://soundcloud.com/dveloped/work-party-2-weeks-notice

I cannot get this mix out of my head.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Yes, right, we were excited to get the catalog because of the toys.

I was. The "Wish Book" Christmas catalog anyway. The regular catalog had the... other stuff that teenage boys might be interested in. I mean guns and bicycles, of course. and ladies unmentionables, with pictures

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think it's hilarious that Canadian Tire is doing a catalog again. It is essentially a carbon-copy of their online store and there's no order forms.

We print and bind it where I work and the 3rd edition should be arriving on doorsteps around the great white north soon.

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Jegs, and Summit all still send me a quarterly catalog.

Powershift posted:

Some rear end in a top hat went around putting phone books on everybody's porch the other day.

There isn't even a search bar on the drat thing, none of the numbers are clickable, it's not even soft enough for toilet paper.

I just don't get it.

That one I don't get either. Must be for old people. It goes straight into my recycling bin.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Half my drat tools say Craftsman on them. :smith:

There are memories associated with each.

More than half. The first tool box and tool set my dad bought me was Craftsman.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I preferred Montgomery Wards. :colbert:

My grandad worked on the Monkey Wards receiving dock for years. Several of my uncles had summer jobs doing the same.
And judging by the stuff I pulled out of my wife's grandfather's shed, he really liked MW.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, I've gotten no responses to my ad for the FC RX-7, but some decent interest for the GSL-SE.
An acquaintance of mine is interested in trading his AE86 coupe (SR5) for the FC.
...How bad of an idea is that? I figure I could flip it easily enough if I wanted to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

baby boomers dont like adapting or changing because what's good enough for them should be good enough for everyone else

Eddie is actually closer to a gen xer than a boomer. Based on the xer managers I've known, they're even worse, but thankfully too small to create the same damage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

Eddie is actually closer to a gen xer than a boomer. Based on the xer managers I've known, they're even worse, but thankfully too small to create the same damage.

yeah in my experience GenX are typically the bigger shitheads, and resentful that baby boomers arent retiring to give them their jobs and millennials are starting to join the work force and take jobs that they see as theirs

obviously, not all GenX, and as you said, thank christ theres not as many as millennials or baby boomers

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

So, I've gotten no responses to my ad for the FC RX-7, but some decent interest for the GSL-SE.
An acquaintance of mine is interested in trading his AE86 coupe (SR5) for the FC.
...How bad of an idea is that? I figure I could flip it easily enough if I wanted to.

If it's in similar interior and exterior condition, I'd say the Corolla would be a good trade. The flip might be a good avenue, and as a keeper the 4age is super easy to work on, especially in the Corolla configuration.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Hatchback or notch? Either way if it's in decent condition why not, they are fun cars you might actually want to keep it.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hatchback or notch? Either way if it's in decent condition why not, they are fun cars you might actually want to keep it.

Coupe = notch usually, as far as I know?
e: also, looking at wikipedia, i guess the SR5 '86 not a 4age?

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 18, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Coupe = notch usually, as far as I know?

This is correct.
I've not seen the interior. Exterior is OK (on par with the RX-7, honestly) and he's got rear overfenders and a front bumper/air dam that's not stupid. Rear diff is kaput, but he's got another one to go in, just not had time to fart with it. The trans on my '7 is whining, so about even there. He's even got the Celica "baby Supra" wheels on it.
Ugh. Really wanted more cash, but I've always likes the AE86, even before Initial D cemented the preference.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Take the opportunity if you like them, because they sure as hell won't be any easier to get in the near future.

Also they are way more desirable than a FC, so down the road if you did decide to sell it you could make a tidy profit. Especially if you put a 4AGE in it and made it look purdy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Ugh. Really wanted more cash, but I've always likes the AE86, even before Initial D cemented the preference.
Mmm, I do still want one at some point, but they're getting to be daft money now. I remember when you could get usable UK market ones for a grand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also if you do get it you need to start a thread about it obviously....:)

The supra wheels are a big plus as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I hate that engineering explained guy with a burning passion

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Phone posted:

I hate that engineering explained guy with a burning passion
His early vids were useful if wordy, his newer ones have gotten IDK because I don't watch them.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
He’s so smug seeming but often incorrect in some way.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Still less smug than Doug

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The best bit of YouTube car stuff lately has been coming out of Donut Media. I binged every single one of those Everything you need to know videos over the course of like two days. They are hilarious and well edited. I still watch all of the One Takes but some stale ones have gotten me shutting it off before it finishes.

I also Never Doug. Do never Doug.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The best bit of YouTube car stuff lately has been coming out of Donut Media. I binged every single one of those Everything you need to know videos over the course of like two days. They are hilarious and well edited. I still watch all of the One Takes but some stale ones have gotten me shutting it off before it finishes.

I also Never Doug. Do never Doug.

I stumbled across the Donut Media stuff last weekend and watched most of them while organizing the garage, good stuff. I also streamed most of Finnegan's Garage, learned some neat tricks and saw some amazing fab work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The daily transmission stuff from hoonigan is an excellent regular source for burnouts, donuts and the like. And getting to take a peak at a wide variety of cars from pro drift cars, trophy trucks, old hot rods, muscle cars and other fun having things. And them beating the dick off of a stripper base model e36 318 because they can.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Most YouTube car people are bad. I'm burning out on RCR too because dude's kind of a dick. If you watch any of the POV drives he doesn't really let the owners speak, it's "Uh huh...uh huh...OH THAT REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED TO ME...uh huh...uh huh"

Someone on here phrased it best that he doesn't like cars; he likes writing about cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Take the opportunity if you like them, because they sure as hell won't be any easier to get in the near future.

Also they are way more desirable than a FC, so down the road if you did decide to sell it you could make a tidy profit. Especially if you put a 4AGE in it and made it look purdy.

Also if you do get it you need to start a thread about it obviously....:)

The supra wheels are a big plus as well.

Nah, they're just the optional Celica wheels (thus "baby Supra") rather than the staggered MK II Supra wheels. It really needs the staggered setup though, since it's got wider overfenders on the rear.
You guys are not making this easier, BTW...

I don't think my wife will kill me if it's a net no change in vehicle numbers, but...
OTOH, if I sell the GSL-SE in the garage, that would actually mean fewer vehicles, and the AE86 is a bit smaller and gets (much) better gas mileage than the FC.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So if you go to canadiantire.ca you'll see that they've got a sale going on tires right now, including winter tires. I need a set for the Versa since I got rid of my ancient yoko winters with the Mazda 6 when I scrapped it.

This morning SSS told me I should look into Altimaxes as a solid winter tire and that CT had them very competatively priced, so I checked and they were like $104/shoe after a rebate. I also looked at Blizzak WS80s and they were like $107 after a rebate, both were in-store purchase only.

Called the local CT. Guy on the phone in automotive outright said he couldn't get the Generals at all and wouldn't even try because people kept asking and no warehouse had them in stock and that I'd never find them. As for the WS80s, they had to be special order because "Canadian Tire does not carry Bridgestone tires" and that there was no rebate for them. Apparently they advertise for tires they don't sell?

Went to the local tire shop, shot the poo poo with the guy who's sold me tires the last two times I needed new shoes. Altimaxes arrive tomorrow and for less than what CT sold out of them at.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 18, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Previa_fun posted:

Most YouTube car people are bad. I'm burning out on RCR too because dude's kind of a dick. If you watch any of the POV drives he doesn't really let the owners speak, it's "Uh huh...uh huh...OH THAT REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED TO ME...uh huh...uh huh"

Someone on here phrased it best that he doesn't like cars; he likes writing about cars.

I'm starting to turn on the RCR guy too, mostly because he actually doesn't know about cars in any understanding sense. Like yeah he talks about them but it's done in a way that you meet someone with a masters in child development but they can't practically interact with the children they supposedly know so much about.
Way back he did a review on a Jeep something with the 4.0 in it and talked about how it was inherently unbalanced. Straight 6s and V8s are inherently balanced, that's their whole big deal and yet he somehow didn't know this, after shooting an episode, talking with the owner and doing research. And his review of that kei van a while back, he pronounced it 'key' instead of 'kay' even though the front plate on the very van he was reviewing had 'K VAN' on it, the joke spelled out right in front of his face and in all his footage. The first thing he would have found out if he punched in 'kei van' into Google is how to pronounce it, what it is shorthand for etc etc. He also talked about how it WILL flip over (lol) and how the radiator was underneath the van (he thought the AC condenser was the radiator) but it's clearly right in front. He isn't very 'car' guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He's a nice guy, he's just a bit neurotic. I think he talks on because he's socially awkward around people.

But yes, he likes cars, just doesn't have the kind of in-depth understaning a lot of us do.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

I'm starting to turn on the RCR guy too, mostly because he actually doesn't know about cars in any understanding sense. Like yeah he talks about them but it's done in a way that you meet someone with a masters in child development but they can't practically interact with the children they supposedly know so much about.
Way back he did a review on a Jeep something with the 4.0 in it and talked about how it was inherently unbalanced. Straight 6s and V8s are inherently balanced, that's their whole big deal and yet he somehow didn't know this, after shooting an episode, talking with the owner and doing research. And his review of that kei van a while back, he pronounced it 'key' instead of 'kay' even though the front plate on the very van he was reviewing had 'K VAN' on it, the joke spelled out right in front of his face and in all his footage. The first thing he would have found out if he punched in 'kei van' into Google is how to pronounce it, what it is shorthand for etc etc. He also talked about how it WILL flip over (lol) and how the radiator was underneath the van (he thought the AC condenser was the radiator) but it's clearly right in front. He isn't very 'car' guy.

Yeah this, I think we all went through this conversation like 9 months ago. Not liking him was the unpopular opinion then, but my angle was - he's a decent entertainer, but the actual car knowledge falls flat. Subsequently, how far can piss and poo poo jokes really go?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

To the RCR guys defense, in his earlier reviews when he contextualized the era in which a car was produced and what was going on society was something I enjoyed. Plus the ability to put the car in a different contextual framework to talk about it was also cool.

Wait... I suppose the argument could made Clarkson does all that in his articles when he reviewed cars... I dunno something about RCR's felt new and different even if I'm bad at saying what it was. I think he's Flandersized himself as time has gone on tho.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Yeah, some of the early stuff was good as it was sort of an editorialized Wikipedia knowledge dump as he drove it around. But goddamn, owning an S60R after that video was maddening. BECAUSE VOLVO!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mr Regular is smart as hell but his schtick gets old if you watch too often.

The AE86 review will never not be funny though.

Edit: I also bought tires. The MS^'s summer rubber is old, I never thought to check the build date when I got them but one ended up being NINE years old and those fuckers still sold and installed it.

So I did some brief research, got some FB input and went with a set of Cooper ZEON RS3-G1s. And with two rebates they will be $244 delivered to my door.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 18, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, apparently, a 1UZ will fit in an AE86... or an LSx.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you are looking for nerd car knowledge from Mr RCR, then you are watching the wrong channel. What he does that is unique is link the car in question with society at the time and explores the relationship of the car to it - there are a lot of Huh, that interesting or huh did not know that moment in his reviews.

I think he likes cars, he's no AI car nerd. That's fine with me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I've hated ever RCR video I've tried to watch. FWIW.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
His ratio of talking about the cars and the era to his ratio of flying up his own rear end monologueing about some stupid poo poo has gone way up from the early stuff, and it's super off-putting to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah and I'm pretty sure he pronounced "Kei" wrong just to piss off the Kei crowd :v:

I get his schtick, but after watching a few it does start to get old. Haven't watched any in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yeah and I'm pretty sure he pronounced "Kei" wrong just to piss off the Kei crowd :v:

I get his schtick, but after watching a few it does start to get old. Haven't watched any in a long time.

He isn't self-aware enough to intentionally try to miff people, not in a million years. If he can think straight 6s are unbalanced and go with his gut feeling on that, then he def saw 'kei' and went 'yes, key' and stuck to that.

Roman's mini documentaries are fantastic though, full-on awesome.

• Locked thread