Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I want to secretly revive the norse faith. How can I hint to people that I'm down for being seduced into a secret cult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Own one of the holy sites and secretly convert if you haven't already.
If you have the option to create the secret society then do that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Edison was a dick posted:

Own one of the holy sites and secretly convert if you haven't already.
If you have the option to create the secret society then do that.

How do I secretly convert, though? I got rid of my Zealous trait and I've got the Friends modifier with some of the remaining norse-faith people, but I can't find that as an option.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

spectralent posted:

How do I secretly convert, though? I got rid of my Zealous trait and I've got the Friends modifier with some of the remaining norse-faith people, but I can't find that as an option.

You should be able to right click on the county flag to get at the county menu.

It should have options for all the religions it's a holy site for and the current religion of the county.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You might also be able to marry a Norse pagan and secretly convert through their diplomacy menu.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

boner confessor posted:

nomads and tribals have special holding rules

nomads dont care about normal holdings, they don't collect taxes iirc. you can build temples but nothing else. tribals are just a special kind of feudal, where your holding isn't organized into castles, cities etc. you can convert a tribe to a castle or city by building the appropriate buildings in the tribe. you can't convert a tribe to a temple so i'm guessing you're allowed to build temples but not cities/castles

in both cases, i think you need to build the fort upgrades (or town/city upgrades if you want to make a city) and you convert the holding itself to a feudal castle or town

in a normal feudal province, you must have a city, temple, and castle before you're allowed to choose which of the others you build. so if i have a province has a castle and a city, the only thing i can build there is a temple and then once i have the basic trio i can just build nothing but castles after that or whatever

Yeah, I know how nomads and tribes work. They just aren't working. I could understand if it was just Tribes, and a Tribe counted as both a Castle and a City but wasn't one until it had been upgraded into one, but I have a province containing nothing but a Temple and saying I can't build a Castle there because I haven't built one of each holding type yet. It's acting like there's already a Castle or a City there.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Edison was a dick posted:

You should be able to right click on the county flag to get at the county menu.

It should have options for all the religions it's a holy site for and the current religion of the county.

I can't seem to access that, for whatever reason.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, I know how nomads and tribes work. They just aren't working. I could understand if it was just Tribes, and a Tribe counted as both a Castle and a City but wasn't one until it had been upgraded into one, but I have a province containing nothing but a Temple and saying I can't build a Castle there because I haven't built one of each holding type yet. It's acting like there's already a Castle or a City there.

Don't you have to have a max level fort there before you can build a castle?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I'm pretty sure that's the wrong GitHub, the latest commits to it were literally five years ago.

(the right GitHub is private, as far as I know the only way to download Plus is through the forums. TheDon01, is your forums account linked to Steam properly or does it otherwise have your CK2 keys registered?)

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
It also took a week for paradox forums to properly connect to my steam account. You could just wait and see if it gets better :shrug:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I think my Connecticut/Gotham/Hudsonia game is dead. The furthest I can get without the crash is August 20, 2790. It's a real shame, my heir was already king of Ontario, so I had even more avenues of expansion open to me, even as the reforming Norse Kingdom of Superior (which became the Rust Empire? I think something was screwy there) grew larger and larger and was flooding me with raiders while pirates from somewhere off the coast did the same.

I went and did a practice game of Amalfi, which was fun, but I did a stupid and started at the Charlemagne start, when merchant republics are weaker and the giant blobs never die. Sloooowly creeping my way around through southern Italy and Sicily while under the dominion of the Byzantines was neat and all, but it looks like I can't usurp any duke-level titles while they're held by a fellow vassal, and the imperial law has viceroyalty duchies anyways, so I doubt I'd really be able to keep it, and there's no faction or plot to undo that. The empire just seems stronger and stronger, the Muslim bulwark has shattered, and the entire empire has gone catholic, so I have my doubts about taking a shot at independence. Incidentally, is it a good idea to land your designated heir to give him a chance at gaining prestige/get him out of your court so he can reproduce unhindered?

So, any suggestions for another After the End game? Rust Cultism and Americanism look neat, but I kind of want to do the next thing far, far away from the northeast geography or the Great Lakes raiding deathblob. Alternatively, is there a good first ironman run to get started on getting achievements? I might try my hand at that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

So, any suggestions for another After the End game? Rust Cultism and Americanism look neat, but I kind of want to do the next thing far, far away from the northeast geography or the Great Lakes raiding deathblob. Alternatively, is there a good first ironman run to get started on getting achievements? I might try my hand at that.

reforming the empire of california is a fun try, you can also try the duchy of portland > kingdom of cascadia but the enatic matriarchy of the gaians conflicts a bit with default game rules. king cullen of gran francisco is fun if you want to get in endless fights with raiders. duke huey of tuskeegee in alabama is a powerful vassal to the holy columbian confederacy who has growth potential if you want to play HRE politics (before you unpause, take out a loan and immediately create the duchy of birmingham). the mormon king of deseret is sort of fun if you like beating on tribals

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Incidentally, is it a good idea to land your designated heir to give him a chance at gaining prestige/get him out of your court so he can reproduce unhindered?

As of one of the recent patches (2.7?) landed characters are blocked from inheritance in a MR. And last time I tried, even making him into a mercenary is enough to block him from inheriting, so no luck there either. Your heir needs to stay in your court.

Pretty sure that the temporary title blocking inheritance is a bug though, because that can't be intended behaviour. It was supposed to prevent weird inheritances issues with feudal realms converting to republic and vice-versa, which the temporary merc titles have never caused a problem with.

Also, the designated heir title can only be applied to someone in your court, so if you landed him he would lose the designated heir title and someone else would be the heir anyway.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Can't mercs still theoretically get landed as a response to their contractor being in debt? There used to be a lot of landed merc companies way back.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Obliterati posted:

Can't mercs still theoretically get landed as a response to their contractor being in debt? There used to be a lot of landed merc companies way back.

Yep, but that gives them an actual landed title. The dynamic mercs are the one I'm talking about, where you can just right click on a son and send them away to get prestige and gain lustful.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

binge crotching posted:

As of one of the recent patches (2.7?) landed characters are blocked from inheritance in a MR. And last time I tried, even making him into a mercenary is enough to block him from inheriting, so no luck there either. Your heir needs to stay in your court.

Pretty sure that the temporary title blocking inheritance is a bug though, because that can't be intended behaviour. It was supposed to prevent weird inheritances issues with feudal realms converting to republic and vice-versa, which the temporary merc titles have never caused a problem with.

Also, the designated heir title can only be applied to someone in your court, so if you landed him he would lose the designated heir title and someone else would be the heir anyway.

Confirming this. It feels really lovely that married men in your court are less likely to reproduce as a result of game optimization but landing them effectively poofs them from merchant republics. At the same time, when I granted them duchy level merchant republics, it never seemed like they built any trade posts. It seems like mid to late game, you're warring and taking (Mooslim) counties just so you can invite nobles to court to grant them landed titles, which isn't as fun as subjugating rulers or building a mega-dynasty.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Suddenly, my vassal of Wallachia is just, independent. No faction fired, as far as I know he inherited nothing and uhhh, there were no events.

I have a claim on it, I suppose, but now it's not a vice-royality anymore so I'll have to revoke it.

What the heck.

Pretty sure it’s just a bug. I had this happen at one point when I made Mauretania a Viceroyalty. Just...spontaneously became independent one day with no warning or faction or anything :shrug:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure it’s just a bug. I had this happen at one point when I made Mauretania a Viceroyalty. Just...spontaneously became independent one day with no warning or faction or anything :shrug:

Information travelled slow during the middle ages, working as intended imo :colbert:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

boner confessor posted:

king cullen of gran francisco is fun if you want to get in endless fights with raiders.

I found the only adequate response to be invading the entire northwest coastline, all the way from Los Angeles to Alaska. It's the only way to be sure.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Am I missing something, or do you really not get to change anything when customizing countries, besides their name? It's kinda lame that you can't change its map colour or flag, especially when you're making a brand new empire or kingdom through decisions.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Confirming this. It feels really lovely that married men in your court are less likely to reproduce as a result of game optimization but landing them effectively poofs them from merchant republics. At the same time, when I granted them duchy level merchant republics, it never seemed like they built any trade posts. It seems like mid to late game, you're warring and taking (Mooslim) counties just so you can invite nobles to court to grant them landed titles, which isn't as fun as subjugating rulers or building a mega-dynasty.

Republic vassals of a merchant republic don't have trade posts, they're a different government type.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is Jade Dragon a stealth Byzantine buff?

Mass castrations = eunuchs = grace = Chinese armies

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I feel that would make a great thread title. Crusader Kings II: Mass Castrations = Eunuchs = Grace = Chinese Armies

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mantis42 posted:

Given the amount of trouble corrupt Eunuchs gave to the Han, it'd probably make you LOSE Grace.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just got my first ever Immortal ruler, and what a guy to get it on:

Also I discovered that the little girl who turns up in the Learning chain will remain in court after you succeed, and while she won't marry...

In my defence I didn't look at the portrait before installing CK2: Immortal Kings of Anime, only the stats. But I do now have a pregnant immortal 8-year-old in my court. :ohdear:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's okay because she's actually thousands of years old, she only looks 8. :nyoron:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Given the amount of trouble corrupt Eunuchs gave to the Han, it'd probably make you LOSE Grace.

They have no style,
They come from Thrace,
These Eunuchs,
Will make you lose grace!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anything special about becoming a vassal to the Aztecs? The randomly invaded in like 930 and have basically all of Europe. I'm going to HRE/byz them but wanted to make sure that would be ok.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

So I've never played a character with the Gluttonous trait during a Seclusion from contagious diseases, holy poo poo. There isn't an option to say no to eating a courtier, so all I could do was helplessly hit "Ok" while my character ate one of his baby mamas. Games > CKII: I accidentally ate my baby mama. I have the feeling that down the line history and my dynasty are REALLY going to downplay the vices of Doge Cosmio the Unchaste, the 60-year-old lustful cannibal who would eat people in the morning, and then spend the evening chasing after attractive 18-year-olds who were trapped in seclusion with him.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Something has gone horribly wrong in the world.

(I'm the blue area in Iraq/Iran, CK2+, 1043)

edit: also, this guy exists

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 21, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Anything special about becoming a vassal to the Aztecs? The randomly invaded in like 930 and have basically all of Europe. I'm going to HRE/byz them but wanted to make sure that would be ok.

Nothing special about their government or anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Aztecs are a great idea with, hrrrm, mixed to bad execution.

If they don't incorporate the Aztecs into Jade Dragon though I will be mad of the butt tho

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There should be a chance for an Incan invasion of China if you have SI enabled.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been playing Elder Kings lately. Pretty fun as an Orc up in High Rock, steadily expanding the Kingdom of Orsinium. Just weathered the plague Knahaten Flu, which engulfed the entirety of Tamriel and Alinor except for Black Marsh (Argonian disease resistance makes them a really good stand-in for the Jewish scapegoat event). They made a few questionable decisions in event programming, though. I've had three different religious heads: a human, the Draugr head of the Dragon Cult, and the religious head of the Ideal Masters, contact me expressing concern over the cultists lurking in my demesne. Malacath himself seems to be fine with them. And the head of a mercenary company keeps getting mauled by werewolves and giving me a 100-prestige penalty because it seems like his mercenary company is ostensibly based in my realm, yet I have no options with which to actually deal with these werewolves.

On the plus? side, the Knahaten Flu killed off my Steward, which combined with my latest ruler's low Stewardship caused two dozen bandit/skeever/troll/smuggler/etc attacks in my provinces, which I was able to convert into adventurers for a tax boost.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I just read the part of the OP about Charlemagne starts leading to big blobby empires that never die. How bad is that? I'm trying out that start date at the moment, with a plan to eventually import the save into EU4, but I don't wanna import the save if it's gonna come with a giant 500 year old Abbasid Caliphate covering the whole map. When should I start to make sure I don't end up with an invincible superpower that makes EU4 really boring?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Red Bones posted:

I just read the part of the OP about Charlemagne starts leading to big blobby empires that never die. How bad is that? I'm trying out that start date at the moment, with a plan to eventually import the save into EU4, but I don't wanna import the save if it's gonna come with a giant 500 year old Abbasid Caliphate covering the whole map. When should I start to make sure I don't end up with an invincible superpower that makes EU4 really boring?

Tag switch to the blobs and intentionally ruin your empire! :getin:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The thing I'm looking forward the most to from Jade Dragon isn't the new cultures, government types, artifacts, map setup or the religions and events

No, it's the ability to, hopefully, destroy a top level title completely with the console, because that's what's supposed to happen when you lose to the Chinese if you try and invade. If I can just run that event, then no need to try and run a decadence invasion on every single large blob at game start

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The thing I'm looking forward the most to from Jade Dragon isn't the new cultures, government types, artifacts, map setup or the religions and events

No, it's the ability to, hopefully, destroy a top level title completely with the console, because that's what's supposed to happen when you lose to the Chinese if you try and invade. If I can just run that event, then no need to try and run a decadence invasion on every single large blob at game start

1066 minus the HRE and Fatimids would be pretty great too

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just create a decision that destroys them, and run that. I have a simple one that I do sometimes to blow up a bunch of titles when I feel like doing a shattered game, it's really easy to make one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I just read the part of the OP about Charlemagne starts leading to big blobby empires that never die. How bad is that?

In my current game the Byzantine Empire has mostly imploded and the Abassids have schismed into three separate kingdoms. The HRE has expanded into the Byzantine vacuum, but not completely - they're as far east as western Cumania but don't hold Constantinople or anything in Asia Minor and they also don't have complete control over France. They're also no longer ruled by Karlings, although that family still rules Italy.

So, it's not quite as big as people make out.

• Locked thread