Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In case any of you are like me and enjoy tacky T-shirts: https://www.homage.com/collections/basketball

i bought that price/daugherty shirt with the swiftness of derrick rose, who is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that first year on rookie scale or on a g league salary

Why would union agree to just putting them on a g league salary instead of rookie scale

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
NBA should run the draft like MLB with a HS and College window but it won't happen. (Also NCAA should pay players)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

That's better than one-and-done imo

They will be getting paid and have way more access to gyms and trainers so yeah, waaaaay better.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/920652496959291393

Brand is Brolic.

Also lmao I dunno if these dudes fit with ESPN's dumb social media policy.

They most certainly don't. Which is great!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if the NBA goes to a draft out of HS and one year in the G-League that is a major boost for clubs with good player development

the Spurs making an army out of HS prospects scares me

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/920695686093524994

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gotta applaud the Bulls for finding new and exciting ways to tank.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

RCarr posted:

Gotta applaud the Bulls for finding new and exciting ways to tank.

they're very innovative

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/920696350102249474

next up: robin lopez deals with a collapsed lung after a practice altercation with bobby

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Aye Doc posted:

they're very innovative

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/920696350102249474

next up: robin lopez deals with a collapsed lung after a practice altercation with bobby

Oh god, run Lauri

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my vets would not have punched a teammate in the face. my vets would yell at the other guy at all hours of the night. they would pretend to be old friends and hire impersonators of their mothers to tell them they are worthless after a lovely practice. they showed the young guys how to take care of things within the team. my vets would never allow things to get physical, but if they had to they would give a noogie or if they were bald they would play their head like a bongo drum.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Don't see why the Bulls felt the need to start a seperate new Gatorade League team when they've been working on a perfectly good one continually already.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Is that first year on rookie scale or on a g league salary

Why would union agree to just putting them on a g league salary instead of rookie scale

Because under the current system they're making "zero" playing in college.

IcePhoenix posted:

They will be getting paid and have way more access to gyms and trainers so yeah, waaaaay better.

Is this actually true? I'm not sure how the facilities and support staff compare between G League and elite college programs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes but I mean under that plan Lebron Jr is going to earn 25,000$ or whatever to play for Idaho springs for a year

He could earn more playing for Kentucky

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think if a team is smart they’ll be running the same system that they run at the big club, and they’ll also invest in a capable training staff that features how to work out correctly, a good nutritionist, etc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Papercut posted:

Because under the current system they're making "zero" playing in college.

Is this actually true? I'm not sure how the facilities and support staff compare between G League and elite college programs.

The G-league, under Silver's version, will be each owned by their respective teams. They will basically be NBA-tier staff.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Papercut posted:

Student-athletes are limited to 20 hours per week of “countable athletically related activities” during the season and 8 during the offseason.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sheriff posted:

Student-athletes are limited to 20 hours per week of “countable athletically related activities” during the season and 8 during the offseason.

hahahaha

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheriff posted:

No one follows this

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Tae posted:

The G-league, under Silver's version, will be each owned by their respective teams. They will basically be NBA-tier staff.

1st round HS picks should be guaranteed 2 way contracts and the ability to practice with the main team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember years ago that part of the reason why Lin was able to run D'Antoni's system well was because their D-league ran the exact same playbook. Since this was years before the rest of the league figured that owning a D-league was actually good, it blew my mind that the Knicks did this.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I only watched Inside The NBA after the Warriors game but man that was the worst I've ever seen Shaq. Completely humorless and his "fights happen in practice all the time get over it" might have been the most I :rolleyes: ever

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Desus and Mero own and only narcs dislike them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/920700037411295232

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If NBA teams can take dudes out of High School to develop them a year in the G league you better loving believe that NBA teams are going to invest in getting them elite trainers, dietitians, gym access, ect.

No one is going to draft someone 3rd overall, and be like "Ok have fun in Bakersville for a year, there is a McDonalds down the road"

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
Caught Lopez doing an interview this morning and he's talking about the teams "good mojo" and how they have to help Portis and Niko "repair their relationship"

Like dude I know you gotta say stuff like that but I don't see how the guy with the broken face is gonna let that poo poo slide

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Fred, don't give people an opening to comment on your job.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

If NBA teams can take dudes out of High School to develop them a year in the G league you better loving believe that NBA teams are going to invest in getting them elite trainers, dietitians, gym access, ect.

No one is going to draft someone 3rd overall, and be like "Ok have fun in Bakersville for a year, there is a McDonalds down the road"

This precisely.

I really like the concept of really making the G league something legit.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/DwightHoward/status/920445032057815040

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/920459698989649921

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

euphronius posted:

No one follows this

I get that it’s not the easiest thing to enforce and I’m sure every program in the NCAA fudges the numbers, but the rule still exists and universities have gotten popped for it before, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume an 18 year old in the G-League would have much more direct access to support staff than one on an NCAA team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:tinfoil:

What if it was Silver and the NBA cronies snitching on these NCAA coaches in an attempt to crush the NCAA in preparation for the G-Leagues promotion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like you don't think it's weird that only basketball coaches and bagman got popped for this

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Guys, it wasnt a real Adam Silver quote, thatz why I deleted it, just some dude with a poorly written tweet that mixed in speculations with an actual Adam silver quote

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/920705325623382017

Also that time you choked out a coach

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

Like you don't think it's weird that only basketball coaches and bagman got popped for this

The funniest part of that situation is Pitino filing suit against Adidas for "emotional distress".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Papercut posted:

I'm not sure how the facilities and support staff compare between G League and elite college programs.

It varies a lot. The best G League situation will compare favorably with the best college situation, as far as basketball related activities go (medical, individual coaching instruction, etc). The mid tier situations are much more in favor of G League: college coaches have agendas that often don't include developing young players and preparing them for life as a professional basketball player, which is every NBA-owned G League team's absolute priority. It's also much tougher to get into trouble as a G Leaguer, which is probably a good thing for the player even if it's not nearly as much fun.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope if they focus more on gleague they raise those players pay

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

What if it was Silver and the NBA cronies snitching on these NCAA coaches in an attempt to crush the NCAA in preparation for the G-Leagues promotion.

I think they probs like having a free developmental system that provides a massive platform to promote their incoming players. I'm still skeptical of the G league being a thing until they show they're willing to spend money and pay the players in it legitimate salaries.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 18, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Forcing dudes to spend a year in the G-League doesn't really seem like it'd make anybody happy. I'd rather they just rescind the rule completely or let the NCAA try to figure out how to make the sham less obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
e: ^ I mean there's no precedent in basketball yet but it seems to work in baseball

You just wait until more teams create youth academies, convince kids to join them and then to forgo the draft, and sign them as UDFAs to their G league team.

• Locked thread