Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

How are they getting tangled? Is the wrap coming undone? Also what kind of line are you using? In general narrower diameter stuff tangles much easier. Like 0.5 mm line may save you 1-2 oz of weight tops on 200 ft of line, vs. regular ol' 3mm paracord, but with the thicker cord you can generally toss it into a big dumb pile and not have to deal with tangles.

For my tarp, I just leave the guylines attached and fold the tarp for storage. Or at least mostly fold then stuff. If you fold it so that there are only 1-2 guylines per "layer" of fold you can make it impossible or at least much more difficult for guylines to interact with each other.

I've seen some people mess around with some nonsense like this https://youtu.be/fHTg5hK5mZM, but I can't be bothered.

I'm using reflective tech line, specifically night-eeze I think is the brand.

Is because each of the four corners of my tarp essentially have a six foot line with a loop of shock cord to connect it to the tarp and maintain tension, and a small line tensioner to make quick and easy adjustments. What I do is roll up my tarp into my snakeskins, and even though I carefully fold the line into the tarp, it still manages to tangle with the other lines.

Unfortunately I'm too late to find something for my trip to Reeds Gap tomorrow... Every time I go out I keep telling myself I'll find something before the next trip as I'm swearing and trying to untangle poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

If you, for example,

1. Start with the tarp flat on the ground
2. Lie one guyline onto the interior of the tarp
3. Fold tarp in half
4. Lie a second guyline onto the tarp
4. Fold again

etc, etc., Then it will not be possible for any of your guylines to interact with each other unless the tarp becomes unfolded, which is unlikely if you fold it several times and stuff it in a stuff sack. You can even tie the last guyline around the folded tarp instead of folding it in with the rest, if your tarp is becoming unfolded..

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Or just get some of those little double-sided Velcro ties for wrapping up phone cords and the like?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Yeah I've used those twisty tie things from the grocery store to do something similar before, but if his guylines are managing to slip out of a figure-8 + hitch kind of arrangement just tying them up more may not help.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I mean I've been using the little Velcro thing's on mine and they do just fine.

I do agree about thicker line being worth the small weight difference. I did all of my hammock and tarp rigging with thin rear end Amsteel and it's an enormous pain.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I kinda want a packraft. The Klymit one goes on sale on massdrop for about $100 every once in a while, I'll probably pick one up next time I see it available.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

I kinda want a packraft. The Klymit one goes on sale on massdrop for about $100 every once in a while, I'll probably pick one up next time I see it available.

I bought a pair of them like two years ago and have yet to use them. It seems like such a cool idea, but I have never been like "hey lets go paddle around in a wet, poorly maneuverable, and fragile boat!"

Admittedly there isn't a lot of water around he that is only accessible via hike-in and big enough to want to paddle around in/safe for an inflatable.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:rip:

I'm near a bunch of big provincial parks (Algonquin, Frontenac, etc) which seem great for that kind of thing (emphasis on 'seem') but it's hard to find info up here :canada:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Guest2553 posted:

:rip:

I'm near a bunch of big provincial parks (Algonquin, Frontenac, etc) which seem great for that kind of thing (emphasis on 'seem') but it's hard to find info up here :canada:
I recently did two canoe camping trips in Ontario; I was nervous about them as info was sparse, I was by myself, had never done anything like that, and was 3000 miles from home, but both trips went flawlessly.
- My first recommendation is the Top 50 Canoe Route of Ontario by Kevin Callan. The book has maps showing put-in sites, established free campsites, portages and other obstacles, and lists fees, alternative access points, available maps, and outfitters. I ended up not following any of his routes, but the book contained a lot of good information that came in handy.
- My second recommendation is to buy a good map. I bought a Coordinate GIS map from a gas station for $14CAD. It's pricey, but it's waterproof and extremely detailed. It shows both free and fee camp sites as well as put-ins and portages. Look at how detailed the legend is. It was well worth the money even if I only end up using it that one time.
- Third suggestion, just get out there and do it. If you go to an established provincial park there will be plenty of information, but there will also be a fee. If you head out to a non-maintained park it's free, but information is less available. I had planned for the former, ended up at the latter, and I think I made the smart move. It was nerve-wracking at times (the first trip I wasn't sure where to park and ended up just pulling as far off the road as possible and leaving my car there), but the nice thing about being in the middle of nowhere is that there is no one around to criticize what you're doing.
I'll probably post my trip report in the canoe thread eventually.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Does anyone here have a pair of "proper" 10+pt crampons that they can use reasonably well with approach shoes or "mountain" trail runner shoes like la sportiva raptors / akasha or similar?

I don't really like wearing boots for really long dry approaches just because there are 2 miles of steep snow. Where possible I just take runners + microspikes but I'm not comfortable with just microspikes for much above 25-30 degree slopes. I've seen some people using strap on type crampons with lighter shoes but I don't have much personal experience doing that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Morbus posted:

Does anyone here have a pair of "proper" 10+pt crampons that they can use reasonably well with approach shoes or "mountain" trail runner shoes like la sportiva raptors / akasha or similar?

I don't really like wearing boots for really long dry approaches just because there are 2 miles of steep snow. Where possible I just take runners + microspikes but I'm not comfortable with just microspikes for much above 25-30 degree slopes. I've seen some people using strap on type crampons with lighter shoes but I don't have much personal experience doing that.

Its not like there are any rules or laws that say when X use Y. General consensus says its possible but probably not the greatest of ideas especially if you don't have much experience with crampons. I have a pair of Grivel G12 crampons but mine are semi automatic because thats what my boots accept (they clip on the heel and loop at the toe). I wouldn't really be able to try them out with my trail runners unless I bought the extra pieces (new rear heel basket and flexi bars).

You are certainly inclined to try anything you want but theres generally a a few reasons that you don't see a lot of people with trail runners and real 10-12pt crampons.

Most crampons are used with insanely stiff mountaineering boots (usually impossible to flex the sole with your hands). The boot provides the majority of the rigidity and the metal bars in the crampon just keep the thing held together. Even regular hiking and backpacking boots are too flexible for most crampons as-is. Crampon manufacturers usually make flexible bars for use with those types of boots which allows the crampon to flex more without breaking the bars. You would likely need those with trail runners.

Comfort could be an issue as well. Most trail runners have very cushy pieces in the shoe from the sole to the sidewalls and upper mesh areas but specifically the toe box. The sole might compress when you tighten the crampon straps. You might be able to feel the plastic toe basket when its tightened over your foot. The rear heel basket might rub above where your shoe stops. Contorting around (mostly on steeper inclines) might cause your toes to hit the front of your shoes and foot to slide around. Trail runners aren't meant to hold you securely at steep angles. Slamming against the toe box is an easy way to lose toenails.

Support is something that most mountaineering boots do well, controlling/limiting the side to side movement in your ankle. Trail runners have none of that. Waterproofing, if you need crampons you're likely in snow and you are probably just accepting your feet will be cold and wet in trail runners in the snow but you likely already knew and accepted that. Protection is another issue. Most mountaineering boots are pretty thick and rugged. If you're wearing real crampons and misstep while in some mesh trail runners, it wouldn't take much to put a spike through the side/top of your foot.

Crampons are pretty simple devices. If the shoe fits inside, you can tighten the crampon down and lock your foot in securely, it should work to some degree. Just make your you don't get into too steep of country and keep your foot as level as possible. Walking in crampons on a steep angle in low rise trail runners could be a recipe for disaster. Make sure your shoe is tight and your heel is locked in, you would hate to pop out of your shoe and lose it (and the crampon) if you fell somehow. Also, if you're in crampon territory, consider an ice axe/pole and know how to self arrest if the area seems like you could slide. Don't glissade in crampons, thats a good way of breaking a leg. If you slide in crampons, pick your feet up so they dont catch and dig in, catapulting you end over end like a rag doll.

I'm doing Mt Olympus next year and planning on approaching in my trail runners and just packing my boots for the ascent. On day trips where I know I'll need crampons, I just wear my boots.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
I'm a huge fan of light, non-stiff boots, and hinged crampons; however you're going to have a hard time finding crampons which will attach to a shoe with a low ankle (if you do, let me know!). This is because the rear strap (if that's how it works) will wrap around your ankle, which will be painful if not enclosed in a shoe.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Morbus posted:

I didn't see this earlier but approach shoes would probably work better with crampons than trail runners due to the fact that they usually have more structure and a full rubber toe rand which would snug up against the toe basket more securely. Both would still require flexibars with crampons though.

Approach shoes - generally flatter sole, less cushy foam in the sole and body, full rubber toe rand, shallower lugs, generally more durable

Trail runners - more rounded sole, usually lots of soft cushy foam, little toe protection, deep lugs, generally less durable

If you have your trail runners, you can always try going to a store and trying them on with crampons to see how they feel.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Thanks everyone. What I've been doing is using what meselfs suggested, just using some light b0/b1 boots with hinged strap on crampons. These don't really fit my trail runners for a variety of reasons, the ankle strap issue being one of them. This works OK, honestly my main problem with it isn't really that the boots are heavier or less comfortable than trail runners, but just that I can't keep GTX boots dry at all in the shoulder season conditions where "snow free hiking with intermittent and occasionally steep snow" is most common

Verman I think you're probably right about the approach shoes, but I'd have a hard time justifying yet another footwear purchase just because I'd prefer to use something other than my light boots for these kinds of hikes. Especially since, like trail runners, I'd probably have to replace them frequently.

I've seen some people running around with what look like crampons on what are definitely trail runners, but I think maybe they are using something like the kahtoola KTS/K10, which were specifically designed to be used with lighter & low-ankle footwear. While those look like they would handle steeper/more demanding terrain than microspikes, they aren't going to be as effective as crampons I am used to using. Then again, all I'm really looking for is something that can give me reasonably good traction on snow or neve up to 40-45 degrees tops, during the spring/summer, not anything technical.

I guess I will just go try a bunch of other strap on crampons and see if they fit my trail runners, and try to get more information about the K10s or similar to see if they are suitable for me.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of snow, what do you all wear pants wise for winter backpacking? I've always worn my nylon hiking pants over a light thermal underwear layer, but last year I nearly froze my dick off when the temperatures dipped into the negatives for the whole trip and I'd like to get something more substantial like snow pants.

I'm super happy with my top half, it's just my legs that leave a lot to be desired.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Same softshell pants that I wear in general with a thermal baselayer under it.

I bought a pair of waterproof fishing bibs last year with the idea to use them as snow hiking pants, but it never gets cold enough here to use them, even at like 30f I burn up in them.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Most of the time just thermal underwear and softshell pants. But I always bring some light (and extremely cheap) semi-waterproof windpants that I will use if it is windy. If there is any chance of temps going below ~5F I will bring insulated pants as well. The insulated pants are mainly for camp or when inactive, but I've been thankful to have them in some cases where the weather was worse than expected.

In general, if it's winter then snow can be very post-holey so I'll also have gaiters. These help with warmth too.

Overall I find the light wind layer to be the most important addition. Hiking pants and thermals tend to be extremely breathable, and if its 0F out and even a little windy I may as well be wearing nothing down there.

Some people like to use VBL clothing for very cold temperatures. I have never really tried it. I think the main motivation there is to prevent condensation inside your insulated clothing, especially over longer trips.

Edit: Also, were you cold when standing/active or cold when sitting in camp? Because down/synthetic high loft insulation will do about gently caress all for you if you are sitting on it. For that, a small foam pad works best.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 30, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I bought some cheap lightweight snowpants off Amazon for an overnight wilderness winter survival course, and they turned out to be pretty amazing. I don't think I'd want to walk more than 10km a day in them, but realistically in winter I'd never do that anyway because I'd be so much heavier than summer.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of snow, what do you all wear pants wise for winter backpacking? I've always worn my nylon hiking pants over a light thermal underwear layer, but last year I nearly froze my dick off when the temperatures dipped into the negatives for the whole trip and I'd like to get something more substantial like snow pants.

I'm super happy with my top half, it's just my legs that leave a lot to be desired.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tectop-Outdoor-Down-Pants-PW7794/32825039409.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

Most of the time just thermal underwear and softshell pants. But I always bring some light (and extremely cheap) semi-waterproof windpants that I will use if it is windy. If there is any chance of temps going below ~5F I will bring insulated pants as well. The insulated pants are mainly for camp or when inactive, but I've been thankful to have them in some cases where the weather was worse than expected.

In general, if it's winter then snow can be very post-holey so I'll also have gaiters. These help with warmth too.

Overall I find the light wind layer to be the most important addition. Hiking pants and thermals tend to be extremely breathable, and if its 0F out and even a little windy I may as well be wearing nothing down there.

Some people like to use VBL clothing for very cold temperatures. I have never really tried it. I think the main motivation there is to prevent condensation inside your insulated clothing, especially over longer trips.

Edit: Also, were you cold when standing/active or cold when sitting in camp? Because down/synthetic high loft insulation will do about gently caress all for you if you are sitting on it. For that, a small foam pad works best.
Windpants sound like a fantastic idea... I'mma hafta look into those...

Normally I'm fine with a thin thermal later, but below zero was when I was most miserable standing around camp, even while rotisserieing myself by a fire. I've got a small foam accordian sit pad for when I do sit, the problem is that there's no real insulation otherwise the rest of the time when I'm not moving and active.

I wound up doing what Picnic Princess mentioned and buying some of the cheap *Artix snow pants on Amazon as well as a pair of bibs... I'm pretty stoked to give them a shot, should find out here shortly on my next weekly hike.

I just had such a scare last year when I thought my dick may have gotten frostbite, I'm not taking any more chances :cry:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Honestly in frigid temperatures, unless you plan on doing the straight-from-hike-into bed thing, it's definitely worthwhile to bring some down or primaloft pants. They will probably make a big difference. Glad to hear your dick is still OK!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Morbus posted:

Thanks everyone. What I've been doing is using what meselfs suggested, just using some light b0/b1 boots with hinged strap on crampons.

Hey. That was my idea, don't credit yourselfs.

I kid, glad I could help!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of snow, what do you all wear pants wise for winter backpacking?

Some classy dressy Nordstrom brand wool pants from Goodwill that I altered myself underneath rain pants.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

meselfs posted:

Hey. That was my idea, don't credit yourselfs.

I kid, glad I could help!

Some classy dressy Nordstrom brand wool pants from Goodwill that I altered myself underneath rain pants.

Huh, that's actually a really great idea... Never thought about wool pants before, but it makes so much sense... Gonna hit up goodwill and the googler.

Are there any good black Friday/holiday gear deals y'all are looking forward to?

Specifically I could definitely use some new trail runners.

Also, speaking of trail runners, what's the best way to keep off the stink? Should I wash them in the sink and dry them on the boot dryer?

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I rinse mine as well as I can in the sink and then run them through a super gentle wool cycle inside of a mesh laundry bag. I haven't had a problem so far. I do think the mesh bag is really important though, I've had a different pair of runners get some color rub off before when I didn't use one. I air dry mine, sometimes with some newspaper shoved inside of em.

I dunno if that's the "right" way to do it, but it's kept mine fresh and looking new so far!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I just rinse mine with a hose and bucket, walk around with them a bit to squish out extra water, and air dry them. As-is, I've never had a pair last even a full year, so I'm weary of tumble drying beating them up even more. But I live in a warm and dry climate so air drying is easy.

If you live someplace more humid or cold, drying indoors with a fan works well.

If your shoes smell washing the insoles with a water vinegar mixture can help.

Edit: just noticed you have a boot dryer. Those are fantastic, and should work well for your trail runners.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Are they killing TAH? I see that almost all the threads have been silently locked, including my couple. :tinfoil:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I haven't been closing any threads, not sure if there's some auto archive if there hasn't been any activity in awhile

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I haven't closed any either. I think they lock after a certain period of time.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

I just rinse mine with a hose and bucket, walk around with them a bit to squish out extra water, and air dry them. As-is, I've never had a pair last even a full year, so I'm weary of tumble drying beating them up even more. But I live in a warm and dry climate so air drying is easy.

If your shoes smell washing the insoles with a water vinegar mixture can help.

That's really smart, I never thought of just using a hose and bucket! And the vinegar too, that's a great idea! I'll try both here, thanks!

Kind of a similar question, but about hanging gear up to dry after a trip... I've always just found random poo poo to drape tarps and quilts over, or strung stuff up using furniture and whatnot, but I've got a dedicated gear closet now and I was wondering about installing some sort of rack in the ceiling to just clip or drape stuff from, like with closet hangers and stuff. Has anyone ever built anything like that, or is there some sort of off the shelf recommendation, like a pot hanger kinda thing?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

There are clothes hangers designed for mummy bags, but most bags have loops on the bottom that make it easy to hang them on any kind of hook or reasonably straight clothes hanger. Ditto for packs. I imagine just a bunch of coat hooks and clothes hangers on a rack would be adequate for most or all your gear. I saw one guy who just installed some hooks directly into the ceiling in his basement for hanging sleeping bags.

I dunno about tents or tarps...seems even the most kingly gear closet would have a hard time hanging one of those unfolded.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I posted like a year ago asking about backpacks and appreciated your replies but still never bought one, everything was $200-300 and looks absurdly big. For long fishing days I just use my ancient cheap backpack from school, and it works fine even if it's a bit too big and a bit too ugly.

The Fjällräven kanken is an overpriced student backpack that has become super trendy with college girls, and is pretty much what I want but it's missing a loop or two on the sides or back for a rifle or an axe. Maybe I should be less cheap or just buy a simple polyester pack and stitch some loops on the side? But if anyone can think of a simple 'traditional' backpack that has a slot somewhere to make it useful when I go out to collect wood or hunt, I'd appreciate it. Basically I'm a picky poor fucker who wants one universal pack up to $100 that is small enough to carry fishing gear but strong enough to throw an axe through a side loop if I go out looking for wood and don't just bring a folding saw. I don't camp much but it'd be nice if it could fit a sleeping bag, fishing lures and a book.

I don't know remember what poly variant they use on these but I'm tempted to buy one on sale, cut the bottom free of one of those small water bottle holders they have on both sides, and do whatever the laziest thing is to keep it from fraying. Hell I could fold a pinch of it inside and superglue it. Just asking if anyone has seen what I'm looking for, odds are this thing will feel awkward with even a small forest axe on one side or the straps will fall off then I'll whine about wasting $70

edit

Also to contribute to shoe and boot cleaning and drying with an obvious bit of help: Re-use silica packs from shoes that came with them or even vitamin bottles. It's not enough to dry your boots for you, but it seems to help during their alone time in the closet.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2017

Morbus
May 18, 2004

That's a 16L pack, which is too small for a backpacking pack, and even on the small end for a daypack. But there is a huuuuuge variety of daypacks in the ~15-25L range that are less than $100, sometimes substantially so. Even fancy ultra light ascent packs from gucci brands can be had for $100 in that volume range.

If you plan to carry a rifle lashed to the back of the pack or just otherwise want to be able to attach various gear, you may want to look into hunting day packs that are expressly designed for this. A lot of climbing and hiking oriented packs will have either attachment systems designed specifically for just ice tools or trekking poles, or will have general purpose lashing systems that probably aren't suitable for carrying something as heavy as a rifle.

These can also be had for < $100, and will generally be made out of materials designed to not get shredded when walking through thick brush or woods. A lot of them are on the tacticlol side of things aesthetically, though, and good luck finding one in anything but camouflage. An example of this kind of pack in the 20L range (and one that looks more like a traditional backpack) is the Badlands Pursuit daypack, which can be found for around $75-100 retail.

Really though, for your purposes you can probably just sew some loops or rig some shock cord to carry what you need outside of any old reasonably sturdy $20 backpack.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My two day packs are Osprey Talons, an 11l for summer and a 22l for winter. I can fit my basic survival/comfort stuff and some fishing gear in the small one, but it's tight.

If you really want to lug a rifle around, then check out the TFR hiking and hunting threads, I am sure someone there has pack suggestions.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

AR-7 and a brick of .22lr will fit in anything. Did a few hikes with that until accepting I would never use it and traded it for an actual small game rifle.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Recently got a fjallraven kaipak 28. Looks great, sits super well on my back (enough that I prefer it other super light ones if I'm carrying much more than a bottle of water) and plenty bug enough for a day pack for two. Pricy though.

Also got a patagonia better sweater fleece (a++++ very warm gf hates it thinks it's ugly) and rab vr alpine (good for autumn spring, good hood, probably better for sporty activities than just hiking)

What's people favourite medium conditions trousers? I've seen prana zions recommended and like the look of those lululemon abc pants but don't really want to spend that much more on gear.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I love the prana zions. It's pretty easy to find them for around ~$50 if you are willing to wait a few weeks for a good deal to pop up.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Morbus posted:

I love the prana zions. It's pretty easy to find them for around ~$50 if you are willing to wait a few weeks for a good deal to pop up.

What's the cut like? The photos on their website look super baggy. The prion pants look a bit more slim fit and use the same material.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

What's the cut like? The photos on their website look super baggy. The prion pants look a bit more slim fit and use the same material.

I tried the Brions on recently and found the top half fairly slim, and the bottom half ridiculously baggy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I tried the Brions on recently and found the top half fairly slim, and the bottom half ridiculously baggy.

I'll take your word for it, Pantsmaster Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

The Prions are still super super baggy. But, once you get them tailored to a more reasonable taper they are so loving comfortable it's completely worth it. I don't know how to use them as hiking pants for any sort of rough terrain, they are really thin.