Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Aye, me barrels o'pork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

blugu64 posted:

We didn't want to tell you, but we just didn't want you to come over, sorry :shobon:

It was my heart that was the crappy construction all along, because you just broke it with barely any effort.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Travelers got my mom with the asphalt scam in Wisconsin about ten years ago.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sure, when my wife says "it WILL fit in there" she gets her way, but when I say it apparently I'm a "pervert".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

evobatman posted:

Sure, when my wife says "it WILL fit in there" she gets her way, but when I say it apparently I'm a "pervert".

:golfclap:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6FY08

It’s probably silicone caulk, not hot glue as the poster supposes, but if that’s all that’s holding those balusters in place, yikes.

Unless it was a DIY job by the owner. In which, hot glue is perfectly likely. And still yikes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Looks exactly like hot glue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Javid posted:

If you go the gallery that's what it is. The entire bannister was done using hot glue only. They also eyeballed the placements.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Proteus Jones posted:

They also eyeballed the placements.

The Bible has something to say about this:

Matthew 7:5 posted:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm not racist but I don't think you should hire this man:

I'm the bottle of drugs

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Javid posted:

Looks exactly like white silicon caulk

Proteus Jones posted:

If you go the gallery that's what it is. The entire bannister was done using hot glue only. They also eyeballed the placements.

More likely the people don't know what silicon looks like. Also I'm pretty sure it used as a gap filler and they aren't bearing any weight

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't think that I have ever had silicon caulk string out like that, which is something that happens all the time with hot glue. Although possibly only because I don't apply to bannisters with a fumbling idiot.

Also those may not be load bearing, but they need to secure enough to stop someone (like, say, a small child) falling straight through them and off the stairs. So they need to fixed with a certain amount of strength, which I am not sure caulk would provide.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah "not weight bearing", old people, kids, a drunken stumble. Those railings should most definitely be better secured than hot glue or caulk would provide.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Liquid Nails or some other construction adhesive would be strong enough for the task, but eventually it would probably fail and it would be nice to have a nail or something in there so that it would be loose but attached and you might notice it instead of it just falling out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ashcans posted:

I don't think that I have ever had silicon caulk string out like that, which is something that happens all the time with hot glue. Although possibly only because I don't apply to bannisters with a fumbling idiot.

Also those may not be load bearing, but they need to secure enough to stop someone (like, say, a small child) falling straight through them and off the stairs. So they need to fixed with a certain amount of strength, which I am not sure caulk would provide.

Yea I mean either way glue or caulk its still just the baluster shoe which has nothing to do with supporting weight at all, they just didn't want to tighten them all by hand (those do suck to do), still pretty :lol:

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah "not weight bearing", old people, kids, a drunken stumble. Those railings should most definitely be better secured than hot glue or caulk would provide.

The shoe has nothing to do with stability my dude its completely aesthetic

edit: found a site that sells pretty much the same thing and they have this to say about the installation: The shoes don’t attach to the treads, the shoes attach to the iron baluster via a set screw. The iron is installed using epoxy, we have epoxy that is special formulated to be thicker, and to adhere metal to wood.

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 17, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh, I get what you were saying. I don't know how those specific ones work, some of the pictures make it look like that is actually securing the baluster and not just the shoe, but maybe they used the proper fixative for it? I suppose they could have just overdone the epoxy and then slung the shoes on to hope that it also glued those in place instead of using the set screws.

If I was the owner I would check to be sure and probably try rattling a couple loose just in case, though.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
From one of those photos though, they weren't mounted even vaguely in a straight line, so it hardly matters how secure they are, it's still an awful job that beds to be ripped out.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Does that mean the handles open upward?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Holy poo poo this is a good one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Remount the hinges to avoid remounting the plate and fixing the holes it left.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just.. switch the 2 doors?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

No way those plates are perfect to push the door open with your feet as you cartwheel out of the bathroom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sneakyfrog posted:

just.. switch the 2 doors?

The plate will still be on the same side as the hinges.

It’ll work if there are plates on both sides and not just the “push” side.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I mean either way glue or caulk its still just the baluster shoe which has nothing to do with supporting weight at all, they just didn't want to tighten them all by hand (those do suck to do), still pretty :lol:

The shoe has nothing to do with stability my dude its completely aesthetic

edit: found a site that sells pretty much the same thing and they have this to say about the installation: The shoes don’t attach to the treads, the shoes attach to the iron baluster via a set screw. The iron is installed using epoxy, we have epoxy that is special formulated to be thicker, and to adhere metal to wood.

I guess I've just seen a bunch of older railings then? They've all been like dowel fit (for lack of a better term) on both top and bottom and will actually hold tight against lateral force.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The plate will still be on the same side as the hinges.

It’ll work if there are plates on both sides and not just the “push” side.

This is a good point, the pusher plate on the outside of the hinge swing wouldn't help anyone.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

The gallery doesn't really make that clear. I strongly suspect there are rods inside there that are load bearing and the glue or caulk was just used to keep the outside aesthetic part from shifting around (because it's cheap bottom-dollar crap). It definitely should be ripped out and done again, and there's a good chance it's unsafe because of general laziness, but I really doubt it's as crazy deathtrap dangerous as everyone says.

Edit: The comments on the gallery confirm it, what you're seeing are removable caps that cover the actual mount.

Edit edit: Sorry looks like this was already covered :P

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 17, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

Does that mean the handles open upward?

Most lever handles can open both ways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Headbutt Plates.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
You can wash your hands and poop at the same time.

Or have a sink to barf into while you poo poo your guts out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was in an office bathroom which had a sink in the accessible and only stall, which was nice. Until I got my hands wet and noticed there was no soap, so I went to dry them and discovered there was no paper towel or dryer either.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You can wash your hands and poop at the same time.

Or have a sink to barf into while you poo poo your guts out.

That sink seems really low.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No way those plates are perfect to push the door open with your feet as you cartwheel out of the bathroom
[telhix picture]

StormDrain posted:

I was in an office bathroom which had a sink in the accessible and only stall, which was nice. Until I got my hands wet and noticed there was no soap, so I went to dry them and discovered there was no paper towel or dryer either.
Then I turned around and discovered there wasn't even a bowl and I'd shat on the floor of the broom closet.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNHIEh_s2Vw&t=10s

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Smashing!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'm impressed they got Vince McMahon to be the cameraman.

:vince:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

[telhix picture]

Then I turned around and discovered there wasn't even a bowl and I'd shat on the floor of the broom closet.

Brute Squad posted:

I'm impressed they got Vince McMahon to be the cameraman.

:vince:

These made me laugh way too hard, thank you both.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

You can see 2x4s he put up top for exactly this to happen at 33 seconds. Also, there's no opening for the window to go up to.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kid sinister posted:

You can see 2x4s he put up top for exactly this to happen at 33 seconds. Also, there's no opening for the window to go up to.

Good eye. The lack of opening is OK because he's "testing" it, but the deflector is definitely there.

The licensing information being there is pure coincidence, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The 2x4s might be there to keep the window away from under the eave so they could get it to a different part of the roof? Or to secure the ladder