Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

bit-tech.net posted a Q&A with Andrew Wu, product manager for ROG motherboards at Asus

bit-tech.net posted:

bit-tech: Can you go into more technical detail about why the new CPUs are not backwards-compatible with Z270 motherboards?

Andrew: Actually, it depends on Intel’s decision.

bit-tech: So it’s not a physical limitation? Intel said it was to do with power delivery.

Andrew: Not really. It [the power delivery] makes a little bit of difference, but not much.

bit-tech: So what are they referring to – the 20 or so unused pins from before?

Andrew: Yes.

bit-tech: So if you wanted and Intel let you, you could make Z270 compatible?

Andrew: Yes, but you also require an upgrade from the ME [Management Engine] and a BIOS update. Intel somehow has locked the compatibility.

bit-tech: The 20 previously unused pins that you mentioned, what are they now used for?

Andrew: Many of them are used for power control. It's possible that these are in preparation for the high-core count processors.

high-core count processors on Z370? I doubt he's talking about hexacore. :crossarms:

http://www.bit-tech.net/features/tech/motherboards/asus-interview-andrew-wu-rog-motherboard-pm/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Don Lapre posted:

Some peoples preorders got cancelled

I saw that. Wonder if it was a payment issue or something. Mine's still saying 15-20 days, and the card I used definitely has enough available, so hopefully they're just still processing them.

I suppose it's possible their shipment was split up, so they got enough total for backorders + bundles, but not all of them are actually there yet.

Bleah. Just annoyed because I have a computer 90% built, just have to get the CPU in, cooler on top of it, and a spare drive from my current computer transferred over.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

bit-tech.net posted a Q&A with Andrew Wu, product manager for ROG motherboards at Asus

high-core count processors on Z370? I doubt he's talking about hexacore. :crossarms:

http://www.bit-tech.net/features/tech/motherboards/asus-interview-andrew-wu-rog-motherboard-pm/1/

I saw that too. I'd have thought Intel would make you buy a Z390 for 8-core support, but I guess going from 4 to 8 cores is a legit enough reason for a chipset/board upgrade. That's gonna pull a shitload of power.

Still would have been nice if they'd let 6-cores work on Z270 though. Or even the new 8350K, since that's just a 7600K in disguise...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TVs Ian posted:

I saw that. Wonder if it was a payment issue or something. Mine's still saying 15-20 days, and the card I used definitely has enough available, so hopefully they're just still processing them.

I suppose it's possible their shipment was split up, so they got enough total for backorders + bundles, but not all of them are actually there yet.

Bleah. Just annoyed because I have a computer 90% built, just have to get the CPU in, cooler on top of it, and a spare drive from my current computer transferred over.

Well my 8700k combo shipped and i have tracking for both my board and cpu so bye bye amazon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

betamax hipster posted:

Based on what?

Idle and slightly informed conjecture. An overclocked hyperthreaded quad will likely fare better than a locked chip (or an i5-K).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 18, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Well my 8700k combo shipped and i have tracking for both my board and cpu so bye bye amazon.

Mine is still stuck on packaging and I backordered on release day. drat

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm strongly considering ordering an 8600K rather than an 8700K. Since I'll only be using it for gaming, is this a more viable value-conscious choice?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Struensee posted:

I'm strongly considering ordering an 8600K rather than an 8700K. Since I'll only be using it for gaming, is this a more viable value-conscious choice?

DigitalFoundry is doing God's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwUEVEbZxI4

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they'd put more stuff into text form. There's virtually no way I'm going to watch a video, but I'd read text all day.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

7940X is back in stock at Newegg in case you were thinking of ordering a few.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

craig588 posted:

I wish they'd put more stuff into text form. There's virtually no way I'm going to watch a video, but I'd read text all day.

I hate how every review and how to guide is a video that I have to continually skip around back and forth in. In 2017 it's easier for the average person to get a 4k video up than it is a page of text and pictures.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

WhyteRyce posted:

I hate how every review and how to guide is a video that I have to continually skip around back and forth in. In 2017 it's easier for the average person to get a 4k video up than it is a page of text and pictures.

Yeah I also hate this. I'd take anything with a text guide. Even a pastebin for gently caress's sake.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

craig588 posted:

afaik DF does text reviews for hardware as well. df's approach works pretty well with video imo, unlike poo poo like linus where it seems like there's an active attempt to make the video as uninformative as possible

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

They do articles too:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-coffee-lake-s-core-i5-8400-i5-8600k-review

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Looks like my 8700k backorder on newegg is shipping :D

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Yup, I ordered mine 5 minutes after backorders went up and just got my confirmation email. Now to debate on canceling my Amazon preorder right now or wait until I get the shipping number from NewEgg.

Do they have any sort of date on your Amazon order? Also do you pay tax for Amazon?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do they have any sort of date on your Amazon order? Also do you pay tax for Amazon?

I was stuck in limbo with no ETA. I already canceled it though since I got my tracking number today from NewEgg.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Amazon has no idea. Some orders said Nov 16th

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Amazon.ca still doesn’t have an 8700k listing at all :sigh:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, this is mine still. Motherboard and ram just sittin here lookin dumb. :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ASUS: "We could've made Coffee Lake work on Z270, but ~for some reason~ Intel's decided to lock us out from doing that with proprietary ME coding, so yeah, their 'power delivery' excuse might be horseshit."

https://www.techpowerup.com/237957/asus-confirms-z270-platform-could-be-compatible-with-intel-coffee-lake-cpus

The article does imply that the eight-core chip might work on Z370, though - and *not* require Z390.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's not necessarily horse poo poo. High end mobos from ASUS might not see a benefit from the extra pins but that doesn't mean all mobos are in that boat

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

It's not necessarily horse poo poo. High end mobos from ASUS might not see a benefit from the extra pins but that doesn't mean all mobos are in that boat

Seeing how horrible the Z370 launch has been for ASUS I don't think this is the case. I was going with ASUS but saw so much BS this launch that I went with ASRock.

Nothing to do with PC computers but how do tax payers of Sacramento feel about the Kings arena now? Y'all got hosed with that. Hope you enjoy the arena since you used Seattle to abuse the taxpayers to pay for it.

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/foon-rhee/article179124311.html

yall got hosed and you were so happy years ago about getting the Kings back. God drat, where are you at now especially with boogie quiting on you? You talked a lot when I said it was more viable for Seattle to hold a team tax payers wise. I'm excited to hear from you from all the poo poo you talked years ago about me being a piece of poo poo for wanting private funded arenas in Seattle since it took your Kings away.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 19, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah no I’m going to fight back against this thread turning into a discussion of taxpayer subsidies for sports stadiums.

I’m a little surprised an Asus employee would, in an official capacity, call an Intel decision ‘horseshit’. Honestly with the MCE switch poo poo and how even my old Z77 board enabled some OC features when I tried to turn on 1600 RAM setting my computer up years ago, I think I’m done with Asus on principle for a couple years. Not forever, but I hope my next board will be an MSI, and I might even be willing to give Gigabyte a second chance after having a bad Haswell board in an HTPC.

With the exception of a reference Intel board that I used for years and years (yes, Intel sold motherboards!) I have been using Asus on my personal machine since the days of the P5A twenty years ago. They just seem kind of screwy right now. They make nice routers and laptops and whatnot, but mobos seem like a mess. Maybe they’ve reached that Samsung level of being in so many businesses that some of them are run poorly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The ASUS employee didn't call anything horseshit. That was me editorializing by proxy. Christ, it's like every thread requires the ~asterisk treatment~. The language ASUS used is about the closest they can to *saying* Intel's excuse is horseshit, but they kind of like being able to make motherboards for Intel CPUs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's okay. I had that Asus rant building up in me the past couple of days, or even since Jay's "oh wait MCE exists well huh" video, and needed that valve to spit it out.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I got an Asus prime z370-A and it's been drama free :shrug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hey my 8700k comes today. I kind of feel bad for all the newegg people who ordered on the 5th and newegg sent me their cpu instead.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The ASUS employee didn't call anything horseshit. That was me editorializing by proxy. Christ, it's like every thread requires the ~asterisk treatment~. The language ASUS used is about the closest they can to *saying* Intel's excuse is horseshit, but they kind of like being able to make motherboards for Intel CPUs.

I haven't followed this at all and haven't gone over any of the data sheets referenced so I'm going to rely entirely 100% on something a reddit user posted (oh god this is going to probably end up biting me)

quote:

Yes it does Mr Andrew. There is a limit to how much current one can push over the pins, traces, and ultimately the various power rails on-die. The i7-8700K (95 W TDP) has a maximum rating of 138 A. Previously, in Kaby Lake the i7-7700K (91 W TDP) had a maximum rating of 100 A. You're talking about 38 amperes increase over the previous part - 40% more load!!!! (this is right off the datasheets btw, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to find that the max power ratings have really gone up.) It's entirely possible for previous chips to sustain that amount of current, but you're working out of specs. While it's definitly true that some of the high-end motherboards have buffy VRMs that would have no problem with the new amount of load (as they were designed for overclockers anyway), coffee lake itself added 14 ground terminals and 18 power terminals to cope with it. Ya know why? because it was not possible to guarantee (read: under any condition) operability using the previous scheme.

Rabid Snake posted:

Seeing how horrible the Z370 launch has been for ASUS I don't think this is the case. I was going with ASUS but saw so much BS this launch that I went with ASRock.

Nothing to do with PC computers but how do tax payers of Sacramento feel about the Kings arena now? Y'all got hosed with that. Hope you enjoy the arena since you used Seattle to abuse the taxpayers to pay for it.

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/foon-rhee/article179124311.html

yall got hosed and you were so happy years ago about getting the Kings back. God drat, where are you at now especially with boogie quiting on you? You talked a lot when I said it was more viable for Seattle to hold a team tax payers wise. I'm excited to hear from you from all the poo poo you talked years ago about me being a piece of poo poo for wanting private funded arenas in Seattle since it took your Kings away.

:lol: were you so eager to post some kind of sick burn on Sacramento that you grab the first good sounding article you could, not realizing it was just an editorial about how the city isn't using their 9 civic event days that they can use the arena for free of charge?

But Sacramento is doing great, thanks. Opening night last night was great. Hanging out in Downtown and drinking before the game was great. Taking the lightrail home was great. I'm happy, thanks for checking in.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 19, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Realtalk, if i was Intel, I would lock it down too. Not because I gave a poo poo about people buying new motherboards (the MSRP on Z370 seems basically the same as Z270, so I imagine tray prices are the same from intel), but because I wouldn't want a situation where SOME Z270 boards support Coffee Lake and SOME Z370 boards support Skylake/Kaby Lake all based on board maker hacks, cause you know dipshits are gonna put the CPUs in without checking the compatibility guide or flashing the BIOS, and you know some of the lovely China only board makers will half rear end the pin compatibility to be "good enough"... and now the internet is full of idiots kicking and screaming all over the world about how Intel is frying their CPUs. Reliability is Intel's like primary trait, and has been for decades. No way I would jeopardize that so the tiny portion of the market that actually upgrades CPUs in situ can save some money on a new motherboard.

If like half the market was doing it, sure! But for like the sub 1% that upgrade CPUs without changing motherboards? Not worth it, and not worth spending money on other workarounds either.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Intel got poo poo on for x299 Kaby lake x so I guess they straight up disabled cross gen

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

It seems really dumb to invest in Skylake-X at all, but Newegg is currently running a deal for the i7-7800X + MSI X299 for $469 which seems pretty decent. I mostly use my desktop for photo editing, not gaming, so the extra PCIE lanes and memory channels are attractive, but it kind of sucks that if I play any games on it performance will likely lag behind a consumer i5. Still, at this price maybe it's worth jumping on?

[edit] Welp, maybe not...

Sent from my iPad fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 19, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you need 10 or less cores it's really hard to argue for Skylake-X when you can get whole used Broadwell-E systems for less.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Delid tool such a waste. Just chose 5ghz "cpu upgrade" in the gigabyte bios and im prime 95 all 6 cores at 5ghz 68c. Ohh well, maybe ill still do it. (8700k btw)

edit: ohh lame, starting to get into the 80's. Still stable! ill have to mess with voltage.

Still impressed lol

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 20, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The gamersnexus guy with the hair said delidding is unnecessary unless you raise voltage above stock. He seems pretty trustworthy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea I think I should be fine in real world use.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The gigabyte auto OC thing is probably volting the hell out of it, but those temps are pretty dang good so might not matter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1.38-1.404 on latest prime95. Didn't even do auto oc. They just have present bios profiles and I picked one to see if it would work.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That's really a lot, all the auto wizards seem to subscribe to AMD Radeon's school of getting things done :smith:
I have no idea what the MSI settings do, but if it's like Asus they probably burn ~50% more power for an unnoticeable single digit increase in performance.
Either disable everything except the memory OC, or see how high you can get stable manually with 1.25 or 1.3V tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Did anybody else notice the page number