Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's really amazing how fast everything in the ocean is going to be completely dead.

And here I thought dying from famine would be the next generation's problem, not mine.

Jellyfish are edible. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TheOceanCleanup/status/864494487795576832

https://twitter.com/TheOceanCleanup/status/918853096582893568

This kind of stuff gives me hope for the future. :unsmith:

EDIT: Follow this twitter account if you haven't already.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 15, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

viral spiral posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOceanCleanup/status/864494487795576832

https://twitter.com/TheOceanCleanup/status/918853096582893568

This kind of stuff gives me hope for the future. :unsmith:

EDIT: Follow this twitter account if you haven't already.

and where does that plastic go? A landfill? Incinerator? Back to the ocean?

Edit: lol the website basically says they don't know.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 15, 2017

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's really amazing how fast everything in the ocean is going to be completely dead.

And here I thought dying from famine would be the next generation's problem, not mine.

Do you really think that famines will occur in the first world? America especially has so much power it seems unlikely.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Yeah, um, about that...
Only 60 Years of Farming Left If Soil Degradation Continues

quote:

About a third of the world's soil has already been degraded, Maria-Helena Semedo of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) told a forum marking World Soil Day.

The causes of soil destruction include chemical-heavy farming techniques, deforestation which increases erosion, and global warming. The earth under our feet is too often ignored by policymakers, experts said.

"Soils are the basis of life," said Semedo, FAO's deputy director general of natural resources. "Ninety five percent of our food comes from the soil."

Unless new approaches are adopted, the global amount of arable and productive land per person in 2050 will be only a quarter of the level in 1960, the FAO reported, due to growing populations and soil degradation.
It ain't just global warming that's going to kill us.

We're loving up the Earth in so many ways that we're going to kill ourselves because we'll be unable to mitigate so many different problems all at once.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nah, we'll fix all of these problems with minimal upset to society thanks to the use of technology, within the next 10 years before things get life threatening.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I post on the internet. If you disagree with me you're just a doo-doo nimblyhead.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
soil degradation won't be a problem if the aquifers dry up first!

:suicide:

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
We can make more dirt.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Sure.

It just takes 1000 years to generate three centimeters of topsoil, maybe five centimeters under good conditions.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Telephones posted:

Do you really think that famines will occur in the first world? America especially has so much power it seems unlikely.

lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Evil_Greven posted:

Yeah, um, about that...
Only 60 Years of Farming Left If Soil Degradation Continues

It ain't just global warming that's going to kill us.

We're loving up the Earth in so many ways that we're going to kill ourselves because we'll be unable to mitigate so many different problems all at once.
Yellowstone will replenish America's farmlands.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

inshallah

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:getin:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cool new environmentalist movie out right now:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yellowstone exploding will solve all of america's problems

Maybe even the world's

The end is near

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
hurricane headed for ireland

lol :tif:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

enraged_camel posted:

Yellowstone exploding will solve all of america's problems

Maybe even the world's

The end is near

Indeed. Kill all humans.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Telephones posted:

There's growing food insecurity in America right now in a situation where there is a ridiculous surplus of food on its market. Do you even want to imagine how much the state would botch it if there was an actual shortage?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
It's crazy how precarious our monoculture agriculture system is. It wouldn't take much to lose food security in the developed world. And just imagine what the impacts would be. America elected a populist fascist-lite on a full belly. Americans go mad when they haven't had a meal for a few hours, just imagine what will run through the mind of a fat reactionary american when he can't buy a burger

Our oceans are hosed: It's over-fished, full of plastics, and every day it becomes more acidic and toxic. Our soil is hosed. Our forests are hosed. The Arctic is hosed. Antarctica is hosed. Greenland is hosed. The permafrost is hosed. Everything is so hosed.
Mother nature is ready to ambush us. And we've known about it for years. We've known her location, her traps, her weapons, her bunkers, her foxholes. But we just hoped someone else would volunteer and fight her themselves. We let her grow stronger and stronger. Now, we're left to fight the most powerful force in the world — armed with a stick.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jellyfish are edible. :colbert:

They look like they'd be the celery of the sea.

ie: you'd burn more calories eating them than you get back.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Minge Binge posted:

The Arctic is hosed. Antarctica is hosed. Greenland is hosed. The permafrost is hosed. Everything is so hosed.

Speaking of!

The coastline of the Northwest Territories is eroding faster than scientists can measure it

quote:

Whalen said the average rate of erosion for an island in this area is about 1.5 metres a year. What they have found on Pelly is that it’s washing away by as much as 40 metres each summer.

I suggest clicking through to the full article, there's some amazing time-lapse and drone footage of the island vanishing before your eyes. Gives a good cross-section at how permafrost looks below the grassy surface, too. :science:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Rime posted:

Nah, we'll fix all of these problems with minimal upset to society thanks to the use of technology, within the next 10 years before things get life threatening.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I post on the internet. If you disagree with me you're just a doo-doo nimblyhead.

Ok Malthus.

I mean for people so obsessed with what experts think and the scientific consensus that all seems to go out the window when people want to doom prophecies like some crazy person ranting on a street corner.

That's not science, that's depression.

tsa fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 15, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tsa posted:

Ok Malthus.

I mean for people so obsessed with what experts think and the scientific consensus that all seems to go out the window when people want to doom prophecies like some crazy person ranting on a street corner.

LOOK KIDS, BIG BEN, PARLIAMENT

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

tsa posted:

Ok Malthus.

Go talk to some climate scientists in person and ask them what opinions don't make the new headlines. I've met a dozen now (surprising number in the field are also mountaineers, heh) and not one has disagreed that we're sprinting towards brink of extinction with no safety line.

But hey, keep believing that technology is no different from magic and will save us at the 11th hour if that's what helps you sleep at night. :shrug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rime posted:

Go talk to some climate scientists in person and ask them what opinions don't make the new headlines. I've met a dozen now (surprising number in the field are also mountaineers, heh) and not one has disagreed that we're sprinting towards brink of extinction with no safety line.

But hey, keep believing that technology is no different from magic and will save us at the 11th hour if that's what helps you sleep at night. :shrug:

If it becomes a question of survival, we can power however many desalination plants, air conditioning units and indoor farms are necessary to save the rich and powerful (plus support staff) via the mighty atom.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

tsa posted:

Ok Malthus.

I try to do all I can to help our future, but that still doesn't cover the fact that we've basically ensured the largest extinction event in our planet's history. If talking in realistic terms scares you maybe go do something to help?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if we put everyone in a vr headset and stored them in an insulative goo and used adipose tissue as a battery

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I try to do all I can to help our future, but that still doesn't cover the fact that we've basically ensured the largest extinction event in our planet's history. If talking in realistic terms scares you maybe go do something to help?
Greatest Dying?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

E: Wrong thread, oops

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Greatest Dying?

The Best Dying, perhaps, in the history of dying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171016-the-great-thaw-of-americas-north-is-coming

The end is near! :bisonyes:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

lol that people were worried about clathrates. melting permafrost releases more than enough methane. I love me some nonlinear positive feedbacks

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

BBC posted:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171016-the-great-thaw-of-americas-north-is-coming

...if this frozen cache releases the millennia of accumulated carbon it has locked within, it could accelerate the warming of our planet – far beyond our ability to control it.

lmao

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So when we're all dead or regressed to pre-agricultural hunter-gatherer scavenging in a post-apocalypse world, which country will be judged to have been most responsible for the crash? Australia for building an economy on mining as much coal as possible? Brazil for building an economy on cutting down the Amazon and replacing it with cattle ranches? The USA for having a people fat and dumb enough to basically be cattle themselves?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nobody will care, because all the countries will be dead like most of the people in them, and the past itself will be judged as having failed the present.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

So when we're all dead or regressed to pre-agricultural hunter-gatherer scavenging in a post-apocalypse world, which country will be judged to have been most responsible for the crash? Australia for building an economy on mining as much coal as possible? Brazil for building an economy on cutting down the Amazon and replacing it with cattle ranches? The USA for having a people fat and dumb enough to basically be cattle themselves?

everyone will blame obama

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the rest of the world already blames america for climate change so that will remain the same

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the very notion of a "country" will be blamed as the insane premise that we're not one planet & people

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

StabbinHobo posted:

the very notion of a "country" will be blamed as the insane premise that we're not one planet & people

Why not blame the USA? The ruling party completely denies climate change, the "denial industry" is funded by US corporations and individuals, and we backed out of the climate agreement.

China sucks, but at least they are moving away from Coal etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
global unity is thousands of years in the future if it ever happens. the world blames america now and will continue to do so, the only people who don't blame america are americans