Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

How the gently caress were you indifferent about Mario Odyssey

I'm kinda like that with most Mario games, like I know they'll be fun but I don't really read previews/watch videos and get hyped for them. They just come out and I buy them and they're really loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m like that too. I know they’ll be good so I’m not going to waste my time reading about them. I’ll just check E3 trailers and such.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah yeah that's what I meant: Final Fantasy Legends: Traveler

Rename the duel man Cyan, rename the hooer Tifa, rename the theif Locke, the inevitable engineer character Cid, some black wizard Vivi, just go balls to the wall with fanservice, reskin them all as existing characters. Sell the poo poo out of this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Few comes out Friday right

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tender Bender posted:

I'm kinda like that with most Mario games, like I know they'll be fun but I don't really read previews/watch videos and get hyped for them. They just come out and I buy them and they're really loving awesome.

This is me with Zelda. I'm hype as gently caress for Odyssey tho.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Waltzing Along posted:

I heard SMO is gonna suck.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, :same:

Mario games are pretty consistently good at worst, so I never feel particularly hype about new ones, but I'll still get it eventually and it'll be great.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If you're not constantly hype about new Mario releases then you're no friend of mine

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Simply Mediocre Offering

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Final fantasy legends 8: the Ocho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played Super Mario Odyssey at Best Buy, game is extremely fun.
Is it me or are the JoyCons super tiny? I don't have very big hands or anything but pressing the buttons was very awkward

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

Is it me or are the JoyCons super tiny? I don't have very big hands or anything but pressing the buttons was very awkward

They are surprisingly tiny but you get used to it. I pretty much immediately stopped using the joycon middle thing and just hold them separately, I've got huge hands but I can hold them comfortably in a way that lets me hit all the buttons easily.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I literally messaged this dev on Kickstarter a few months back asking if he was planning on porting to the Switch.

Game looks great (it was playable at PAX East last year) and I'm STOKED that it's coming to Switch given that I kickstartered it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The joycons are small, but they're not a huge issue, at least for my hands. I've only felt minor cramping after like 5-6+ hours of non-stop play, and to be quite honest, I think most controllers would do that.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Augus posted:

I was also real surprised how tiny they were, and how tiny they still felt on the grip that connects them both, not sure what it's called. Really concerned that my screwed up thumbs (thanks NES controller!) are going to be in pain after 30 minutes. Maybe the pro controller will be the path for me, be no one seems to have them out where you can actually hold them. Worst case I bulk em up somehow, but doesn't matter, I'll fight through the pain, way too excited about SMO (and Metroid) to sit the switch out. Will probably even replay BotW....

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I've never finished or even made it halfway in a Mario game, maybe odyssey will be the first time I beat one

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ROJO posted:

I was also real surprised how tiny they were, and how tiny they still felt on the grip that connects them both, not sure what it's called.

I think "comfort grip" is the usual terminology. There are also charging grips that are the same thing but, yep, have a port built in to charge the joycons. I might yet pick up a pro controller but I've actually been happy since launch with joycons + grip the roughly half the time I play docked.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scylo posted:

I've never finished or even made it halfway in a Mario game, maybe odyssey will be the first time I beat one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkibE-qS5k4&t=53s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The grips feel a bit too small and awkward for when playing separated but they feel great in the grip and handheld for me.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXx0c1XbR4A

Come join me in the hype tub for some Tiny Metal hype.

Hi yes I will play all of the 3d Advance Wars on the Switch, thank you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Scylo posted:

Man, everyone should play through the original SMB just to see the creative stuff they pulled with such limited assets.

....People should also play SML2:t6GC because it's insane the kind of things that pulled off on an OG four-color Game Boy, and Mario looks dope in a space helmet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Augus posted:

They are way too tiny for normal hands. My hands were cramping up just from playing a four race cup, and the shoulder buttons were less than half the width of my pinky nail.
And those shoulder buttons are super stiff too. It's a pain in the rear end to hit jump boosts and activate items.
Haven't tried them with the strap on, but I don't care to either.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The strap is absolutely required to use the joycon as a MK controller, IMO. It's a huge game changer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When the first SMO trailer came out I was kind of put off because it showed Mario in the "real world" and it reminded me of the dreadful path Sonic took.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

When the first SMO trailer came out I was kind of put off because it showed Mario in the "real world" and it reminded me of the dreadful path Sonic took.

Mario does what SoniCouldn't

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

I mean it's a Mario game, you know what you're getting in to.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Stan Taylor posted:

It almost feels like animal crossing

It's funny you mention that because lots of Splatoon's developers were from the Animal Crossing team https://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/15/the-splatoon-team-consists-of-the-core-animal-crossing-team/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mister Facetious posted:

They are way too tiny for normal hands. My hands were cramping up just from playing a four race cup, and the shoulder buttons were less than half the width of my pinky nail.
And those shoulder buttons are super stiff too. It's a pain in the rear end to hit jump boosts and activate items.
Haven't tried them with the strap on, but I don't care to either.

The shoulder buttons are like, literally unusable without the strap, which also gives you a nontrivial amount of extra stuff to wrap your hands around. The controllers felt bad for you because you were only using like 2/3 of one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Is anyone actually excited for Forces? Cause it looks so insanely generic it's not even funny

Behold Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5eLNzq7Rk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The secret new switch they put out in 2019 is gonna be so much nicer ergonomically so feel free to wait

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Infinitum posted:

Is anyone actually excited for Forces? Cause it looks so insanely generic it's not even funny

There are, in fact, people who've deluded themselves into being excited for this game

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Looks like it's pretty similar to Sonic Generations which is a good thing

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Infinitum posted:

i liked Generations a lot and being the "sequel" to that made it something i was looking forward to. revealing there was a custom character creator to make your own sonic oc i found fuckin hilarious so i was totally on board

every subsequent trailer since then has made me less and less interested

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bank Error in your favour, collect $200 via Paypal

Gonna buy me some Thimbleweed Park + FIFA I think, save the rest for Odyssey

Or I could buy Odyssey + MF DOOM

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Huh I didn’t realize EO5 is out. I feel weird playing a 3ds game after the switch though, that resolution is
So bad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Bank Error in your favour, collect $200 via Paypal

Gonna buy me some Thimbleweed Park + FIFA I think, save the rest for Odyssey

Or I could buy Odyssey + MF DOOM

the correct opinion is always DOOM, friend

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If Forces is as good as Generations then I'll definitely buy it because Generations was really great. However, Sonic Team has more than demonstrated that they mostly just throw things at a dart-board when it comes to their mainline Sonic games so I will not be even a little surprised if it comes out as a turd. The "create-a-character" seems to be an attempt to draw in their insane, deviant-art fanbase which might indicate the game is poo poo otherwise.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

The shoulder buttons are like, literally unusable without the strap, which also gives you a nontrivial amount of extra stuff to wrap your hands around. The controllers felt bad for you because you were only using like 2/3 of one.

Well, it was an amateur tournament. Emphasis on "amateur".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Nintendo for the love of good please make a Pro style Joycon grip, the default ones aren't big enough and feel like they're going to break everytime I take them off

• Locked thread