Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The whole point of the Bounded Accuracy gimmick of 5e is that you don't need magic items in the +1 sword, +2 armor sense. If you stick to the encounter creation guidelines, you'll be able to hit (and be able to avoid hits) at an acceptable rate without ever needing a boost from magical items. In this regard, a bonus is just that, a bonus.

Having said that, I can't comment on how well the AL or the published adventures cleave to these kinds of stats - exceptions to this model include monsters that specifically require magical items in order to be hit, and encounters that don't follow the guidelines for one reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I'm just getting into D&D for the first time, and I'm having some trouble parsing how to calculate passive perception.

The PHB states:

quote:

Here’s how to determine a character’s total for a passive check:

10 + all modifiers that normally apply to the check
If the character has advantage on the check, add 5. For disadvantage, subtract 5. The game refers to a passive check total as a score.

For example. if a 1st-level character has a Wisdom of 15 and proficiency in Perception. he or she has a passive Wisdom (Perception) score of 14.

In the example, I get that a Wisdom of 15 has a +2 modifier. For the second part, you aren't using the actual Perception modifier, right? Because that would be +4? Is it just that if you're specifically proficient in Perception, you then add your proficiency bonus to the score?

So for example, my paladin just has his regular +1 Wisdom modifier attached to his Perception score. So his passive Wisdom is just 10 + his Wisdom modifier, for a total of 11?

Do I have that right?? I might have basically answered my own question, but I am super not used to thinking about numbers this much. :ohdear:

Also, for something like passive Wisdom, how would advantage or disadvantage come into play?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You answered your own question.

Advantage in Perception is rare but disadvantage is as simple as trying to spot something in dim light.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

uberwekkness posted:

I'm just getting into D&D for the first time, and I'm having some trouble parsing how to calculate passive perception.

The PHB states:

In the example, I get that a Wisdom of 15 has a +2 modifier. For the second part, you aren't using the actual Perception modifier, right? Because that would be +4? Is it just that if you're specifically proficient in Perception, you then add your proficiency bonus to the score?

So for example, my paladin just has his regular +1 Wisdom modifier attached to his Perception score. So his passive Wisdom is just 10 + his Wisdom modifier, for a total of 11?

Do I have that right?? I might have basically answered my own question, but I am super not used to thinking about numbers this much. :ohdear:

Also, for something like passive Wisdom, how would advantage or disadvantage come into play?

Passive perception is essentially taking 10 on the perception roll. So if they have +2 wisdom modifier and the are not proficient in perception then their passive perception is 12. That same person at level 1 with (+2) proficiency in their perception instead has a passive perception of 14.

Disadvantage might be something like some blinding light being casted from something in the area they're in and advantage could be like the party knows the area very well or are specifically looking for something coming from where they are looking "Up to your GM" basically.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As mentioned we are going through an adventure as well so most magic items have come from it. (And me being nice and letting them buy a few/getting gifted some from their factions.) So I have been very generous with Magic Items. They just have hardly gotten any from the random tables I have put in.

Current Makeup is Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Rogue, Revised Ranger.

Cleric has a Dwarven thrower, Wand of Magic Missile, Light stone thing I can't remember the name of and two others I can't remember on the spot. Paladin has a +1 greatsword, That item sets con to 19 and one other I can't remember. Rogue has no less then 3 magic daggers one of which is an artifact. Ranger has a item that stabilizes him automatically and a Weapon of Warning. Druid guy is kind of really forgettable and I can't really remember if he has anything of interest.

This is ignoring all the Scrolls and Potions they have found.

edit:Pretty much I hand out Magic Items like Candy, but I don't hand out magic item hoards like candy.

This is roughly what I've been doing and I dont think it's handing them out like candy if you're level 9. Looks like all your players have replaced their weapon with a magic weapon (i'll ignore the druid if hes not a big factor) including some pretty big ones from the sounds of things. Theres nothing wrong with that. See how that forge cleric might feel a bit shafted in this group. My super simple fix is to just let you have the +1 bonus on anything regardless. Hell you could even cap it out at +1 max and it would be vastly improved. It makes those fancy magic items that dont normally get a +1 bonus like those weapons of warning (that i've always seen players just dump when they find them) suddenly way more valuable since its going to get its +1 bonus anyway. It gives you a lot more flexibility and allows the cleric to really make use of some often forgotten and ignored items. Plus, I as the GM dont have to make sure i track and create an intentional hole thats the cleric of the forge's ability fills.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 18, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A level 1 character with 14 (+2 Wisdom)

===

If they do not have Proficency in the Perception skill, and they're rolling for Perception, then they roll d20+2

If they have Proficency in the Perception skill, and they're rolling for Perception, then they roll d20+4

If Advantage is in play, then they roll the d20 twice, and take the higher result (and add the +2 or the +4 to that).

If Disadvantage is in play, then they roll the d20 twice, and take the lower result (and add the +2 or the +4 to that).

===

If they do not have Proficency in the Perception skill, their Passive Perception is 12 (10+2)

If they have Proficency in the Perception skill, their Passive Perception is 14 (10+4)

If Advantage is in play, then add another 5 to the score, so without Proficiency, it'd be a 17. With Proficiency, it'd be a 19.

If Disadvantage is in play, then subtract 5 from the score.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Good to know I can at least make a character sheet. Good start. And that breakdown is a big help. Thanks!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

As an example I just rolled on the same table. Rolled a 96, which is 1d4 (rolled a 3) items from table G.

04, weapon +2. 77, scale armor +1. 89, sword of wounding.

Random tables give random results :shrug:

My players would have really celebrated if they could get a roll like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

This is roughly what I've been doing and I dont think it's handing them out like candy if you're level 9. Looks like all your players have replaced their weapon with a magic weapon (i'll ignore the druid if hes not a big factor) including some pretty big ones from the sounds of things. Theres nothing wrong with that. See how that forge cleric might feel a bit shafted in this group. My super simple fix is to just let you have the +1 bonus on anything regardless. Hell you could even cap it out at +1 max and it would be vastly improved. It makes those fancy magic items that dont normally get a +1 bonus like those weapons of warning (that i've always seen players just dump when they find them) suddenly way more valuable since its going to get its +1 bonus anyway. It gives you a lot more flexibility and allows the cleric to really make use of some often forgotten and ignored items. Plus, I as the GM dont have to make sure i track and create an intentional hole thats the cleric of the forge's ability fills.

The Cleric funny enough just found the Dwarven Thrower last session he had been using a normal Hammer for the rest of the adventure.

Still I don't feel the Forge Cleric would feel shafted. Until everyone replaced all their gear, their ability would be quite useful. As well even though it may fall out of use. He is still a cleric with other powerful abilities. Even in my current group that ability would still be useful he could magically enhance the Rangers bow, which he does favor over his sword. (He had some magic ammo for a while but has since used it all up.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

kingcom posted:

This is roughly what I've been doing and I dont think it's handing them out like candy if you're level 9. Looks like all your players have replaced their weapon with a magic weapon (i'll ignore the druid if hes not a big factor) including some pretty big ones from the sounds of things. Theres nothing wrong with that. See how that forge cleric might feel a bit shafted in this group.

If everyone in the party has magic armor, magic shield (when applicable), and a magic weapon that's good for them rather than some random drop table or adventure bullshit (because sure that Defender longsword is nice but your GWM Barbarian would prefer a +1 Greatsword), then... yeah, the Forge Cleric might feel his ability is wasted.

But how often does that happen outside of campaigns that let you outright buy magical items?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That it needs to be cast on a "nonmagical object" would mean you can't use it on your mithril shirt or adamantine breastplate, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

That it needs to be cast on a "nonmagical object" would mean you can't use it on your mithril shirt or adamantine breastplate, right?

Adamantine may not count when Xanathar's guide comes out. As there is going to be rules for Adamantine gear.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Will there be mithril gear too?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Will there be mithril gear too?

Don't know. But not likely. Adamantine from looking is also not under the Magic Item section.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 18, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You're all idiots. The correct use of that ability is to cast it on some piece of trash longsword to sell for +1 magic longsword market value and then skip town.

Forge cleric :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's my next character...

e: Nope, a halfling bard who's bullshitted his way through the same process while disguised as a dwarf.

Now let's see if I can get my DM to agree that with a good enough bluff check I can restore actual HP by making people think they're getting the divine panelbeating of Moradin...

e2: Nope again. A regular dude who's been convinced by a halfling bard that he's really a dwarf priest of blacksmithery. Forged cleric.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 18, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm getting flashbacks the bear ranger chain from the dungeons and douchebags thread.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

If everyone in the party has magic armor, magic shield (when applicable), and a magic weapon that's good for them rather than some random drop table or adventure bullshit (because sure that Defender longsword is nice but your GWM Barbarian would prefer a +1 Greatsword), then... yeah, the Forge Cleric might feel his ability is wasted.

But how often does that happen outside of campaigns that let you outright buy magical items?

Well I think you're being a bit silly about that, you only need the martials to have their weapon + armour, a caster wont care about a weapon. I'm not saying literally every person has every slot perfectly filled up im saying is it feeling wasted or not. Buffing a wizards knife is going to feel super un-satisfying as you're not contributing anything meaningful.

Also do you never give players cool magic stuff that they would actually like? Do you just purely go full random all the time and tough poo poo if they dont get anything that they would enjoy or play with their theme? Like if I have a two handed weapon wielder in the party im probably going to make sure a two handed weapon shows up at some point. Why do you refer to that as adventure bullshit?

I'll ask you the question, why would it be problem to let this work on magic items, either as a cap at not increasing above a +1 bonus or not? Why is adding something that ensure a much larger flexibility for many different game types and over a much larger time period something thats too far?

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Cleric funny enough just found the Dwarven Thrower last session he had been using a normal Hammer for the rest of the adventure.

Still I don't feel the Forge Cleric would feel shafted. Until everyone replaced all their gear, their ability would be quite useful. As well even though it may fall out of use. He is still a cleric with other powerful abilities. Even in my current group that ability would still be useful he could magically enhance the Rangers bow, which he does favor over his sword. (He had some magic ammo for a while but has since used it all up.)

Right so if the ranger gets a magic bow, what does the cleric use it on then? Also from your comment I can infer that you believe its okay for abilities to become irrelevant?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 18, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
can anyone reccomend a D&D podcast? I have a 9 hour flight coming up. I've got adventure zone thats it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Warforged forge cleric constantly having cure stutter cast on them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waroduce posted:

can anyone reccomend a D&D podcast? I have a 9 hour flight coming up. I've got adventure zone thats it

My gf loves critical role, which features a bunch of professional voice actors. I couldn't get into it personally because it was a little too straight laced compared to TAZ, and also the first episode had bad audio quality and had people eating crunchy snacks which drives me nuts, but I'm told this gets better in future episodes.

Brian Posehn has one called nerd poker but I haven't listened to it and can't vouch for it. I think TAZ kind of spoiled me on d&d podcasts, I keep expecting others to have the same production value and getting disappointed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If forty four warforged forge clerics forged fourteen forgery kits in one fortieth of a fortnight, how many forgery kits can fourteen warforged forge clerics forge in fourty four fortnights?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Ainsley McTree mentioned Critical Role and I was skeptical of it at first, especially since the first episode is weak because of audio issues, but I really like it for what it is: great background stuff. Since the PCs are all voice actors who have been playing their characters for ages it feels pretty "lived in"

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Waroduce posted:

I like Sneak Attack. It has most replicated the experience of sitting around a table with a friends. Reid is a no-nonsense DM surrounded by goofballs who are capable of real heartfelt role-playing when the story demands it. Characters explicitly do not have plot armor, which makes all the difference for me as a listener. Death is always on the table and the odds are stacked against them.

Disclaimer: Reid's voices are bad but its kind of endearing how bad they are.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MTV Crib Death posted:

I like Sneak Attack. It has most replicated the experience of sitting around a table with a friends. Reid is a no-nonsense DM surrounded by goofballs who are capable of real heartfelt role-playing when the story demands it. Characters explicitly do not have plot armor, which makes all the difference for me as a listener. Death is always on the table and the odds are stacked against them.

Disclaimer: Reid's voices are bad but its kind of endearing how bad they are.

I stopped listening around episode 95. Some of their decisions started to bug me and I got the feeling the DM was telling players how to act off mic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to plug Roleplaying Public Radio - either their 4th Edition D&D campaign "The New World", which spans some 46 episodes, or their (magic-less D&D) Iron Heroes campaign "Fortunes of War". They're both tour de forces of plots, and everyone plays the game well and entertaining.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nerd Poker is pretty bad. It just had a famous guy.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Waroduce posted:

For me, I don't mind every now and then, but I can only take so much of listening/watching other people playing D&D. The official podcast, Dragon Talk is pretty good. I usually skip the interviews but I do like the Lore and Sage Advice segments. I feel like it helps me be a better DM. Other than that I just started listening to Down with D&D, it's 'aight http://misdirectedmark.com/category/mmproductions/down-with-dd/

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

ReapersTouch posted:

I stopped listening around episode 95. Some of their decisions started to bug me and I got the feeling the DM was telling players how to act off mic.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed this but I'm also not the most attentive listener. I'm usually doing sometime else in the meantime.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Rather then a D&D podcast, how about a just plain good tabletop games podcast? Might I suggest both Six Feats Under and Friends at the Table?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

https://kotaku.com/dungeons-dragons-stumbles-with-its-revision-of-the-ga-1819657235

Man this is some mearls.txt.

quote:

Its human inhabitants, described as “natives,” are dark-skinned with tightly curled hair, while its other races include pygmies and “bushmen.”

quote:

“Human civilization is virtually nonexistent here, though an Amnian colony and a port sponsored by Baldur’s Gate cling to the northern coasts, and a few tribes—some noble savages, others depraved cannibals—roam the interior.”

quote:

Their speaking patterns are described right down to having clicks.

quote:

It was our intention to show the Chultans have not only survived it, but have risen above it—that they have dispelled the warring tribal nature that previously defined them and are now actually thriving.” When I asked, Perkins said that no black writers or consultants worked on Tomb of Annihilation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eeeesh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Literal noble savages

Jesus H Christ

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just to inform you. Those first three quotes are referring to 4e Chult. None of that is in Tomb of Annihilation. I don't believe stuff like that is even mentioned. Other then the Chultans taking control of the Port back.

As they said Chult has changed quite a bit in Tomb of Annihilation.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dungeons and Dragons stays true to its roots

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Serf posted:

Dungeons and Dragons stays true to its roots

ah gently caress

This one's probably hard to find these days.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

theironjef posted:

Nerd Poker is pretty bad. It just had a famous guy.

I listened to it until the main DM left, and it was OK, but not good by any means. After that it was a train wreck.

I like Critical Role a lot, but it's an investment, you're talking about 115 main story line episodes each 3-5 hours each.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not outwardly offended by this ToA book. Let me digger deeper to find new ways to be offended and write an article about it on the internet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

quote:

“The land that they live in is a savage land. That’s just part of what Chult is. It’s a place of monsters."

they're still echoing centuries of racist fantasies about darkest africa despite the sword coast or whatever being eat the gently caress up with zombies, owlbears and whatever the gently caress else

lmao

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah none of those quotes are from the new book for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I like Rusty Quill which I never see recommended. It's a little bit more structured than TAZ but I like the whole setting and character building they've got going on, plus it's pretty funny.