Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Jace is not even remotely safe, though I suspect he’d be fine with the lower power of cantrips and counters in modern compared to legacy/vintage

SFM is probably safe, and might revitalize Wx midrange, BBE might be a problem in a temur deck with ancestral, but is also probably safe

Punishing fire is fine right now but could be a serious issue in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I played Eggs to a 8-2 at GP Chicago and it was the only time I've ever played Modern and the only time I will ever play Modern. It's the only good thing that has ever been in the format.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I have decided my player stand-in is the thundercats W/G lion guy. he seems strong and nice and good.

Indeed he is, he's one of only a few people to ever fight Bolas and not get their poo poo pushed in.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
next chapter rear end in a top hat Jace and boyfriend Jace fight until vraska turns one of them into stone

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The only problem with this, is how long do you need to tell if the results are long-term feasible?

That’s fair, but surely any data on the live servers is better than whatever amount of information they can collect internally in whatever leagues or thought experiments they’re running though. It isn’t as though hypo-testing leagues would remove the ability to re-ban or un-ban cards, it would just provide more data.

Elyv posted:

Yes but now Jace has amnesia so it's a different person, you see

well, had amnesia, he appears to regain his memories in the climax of today's story

By hitting his head on a rock, no less.

Being mind scrambled by the most powerful telepath in the story? Better act like a cartoon character to fix it!

GeneX posted:

SFM is probably safe, and might revitalize Wx midrange, BBE might be a problem in a temur deck with ancestral, but is also probably safe

I think they’ve said a big problem with SFM is also it’s possible future power. It’s existence in a format limits their ability to print good equipment in the future. Similar issue Pod and GSZ have, really.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 18, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm pretty sure they've completely given up on equipment being constructed playable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They've printed gently caress all for good equipment since Innistrad so idk that SFM is part of the problem for that

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That's mostly because they haven't been able to find the middle ground between "limited fodder" and "format warping powerhouse."

The Swords are the closest, but they still did a number on Standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the last equipment printed to even make it into a T1 standard deck was Runechanter's Pike

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ultima66 posted:

I played Eggs to a 8-2 at GP Chicago and it was the only time I've ever played Modern and the only time I will ever play Modern. It's the only good thing that has ever been in the format.

Do you remember if you went off on turn 2 vs. a R/G tron player by chance? If so I played you, but I don't remember what round it was. Whoever I played went first, I played a t1 relic off of a tron land then sat there for a while watching them play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

That's mostly because they haven't been able to find the middle ground between "limited fodder" and "format warping powerhouse."

They've had 5 years to do it at this point, I feel like if they cared about figuring it out they would have :shrug:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Boxman posted:

By hitting his head on a rock, no less.

Being mind scrambled by the most powerful telepath in the story? Better act like a cartoon character to fix it!

Plot twist next chapter: Jace enlists Vraska to find another rock and hit him over the head to get his amnesia back. He doesn't want to be the dorky rear end in a top hat he was, he liked being the swashbuckler way more.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Excuse me, they printed a piece of equipment that was banned in Standard.

True it said "Vehicle" but it gave your 1/1 flying and looting on attacking or blocking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Excuse me, they printed a piece of equipment that was banned in Standard.

True it said "Vehicle" but it gave your 1/1 flying and looting on attacking or blocking.

Vehicles are pretty much their replacement for equipment and that's been fairly clear

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

GeneX posted:

BBE might be a problem in a temur deck with ancestral

That sounds cool until you try to build an ancestral visions deck with no counterspells or hard removal.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Do you remember if you went off on turn 2 vs. a R/G tron player by chance? If so I played you, but I don't remember what round it was. Whoever I played went first, I played a t1 relic off of a tron land then sat there for a while watching them play.

I don't think so; I don't remember playing Tron at the event. Also I guess officially I went 7-3, but what actually happened was my friends who I carpooled with both scrubbed out and I won my r10 match against affinity to make day 2, and they didn't feel like staying considering at 8-2 I was playing day 2 for like $500 max so we wrote 2-1 in his favor on the match slip. All I really remember was my first few rounds were against not actual legitimate Modern decks and I lost a match to someone whose name I heard before playing Infect because he killed me on turn 2 twice and I killed him on turn 3 once. Also the guy made me play out until I could demonstrate that I knew how to infinitely recur Pyrite Spellbomb to kill him because he said most eggs players didn't know how to actually play their deck.

E: Actually I remember one of the really non-legitimate decks actually Tormod's Crypted me but his deck was trying to beat me down with Vampire Nighthawks so I just went off again later.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

That sounds cool until you try to build an ancestral visions deck with no counterspells or hard removal.

Hard removal is dead against so few decks in the format that you should still be able to run it. You can probably consider running counterspells too and accept that sometimes your cascades will be bad(and if the counterspell is Remand, you can always Remand your Bloodbraid at least!)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Elyv posted:

Hard removal is dead against so few decks in the format that you should still be able to run it. You can probably consider running counterspells too and accept that sometimes your cascades will be bad(and if the counterspell is Remand, you can always Remand your Bloodbraid at least!)

Won't the Remand resolve before Bloodbraid Elf enters the battlefield since cascade is a cast trigger?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Won't the Remand resolve before Bloodbraid Elf enters the battlefield since cascade is a cast trigger?

Yes that's why you could remand it, Bloodbraid is still on the stack..........its pretty dumb but you can do it.

Cast bloodbraid
Cascade Triggers-Reveal Remand
Cast Remand Targeting Bloodbraid
Remand resolves, counters bloodbraid returning it to hand, you draw a card

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Yes that's why you could remand it, Bloodbraid is still on the stack..........its pretty dumb but you can do it.

no, see, you get to draw an extra card and try again next turn. It's probably a pretty bad line generally but if you're playing some really grindy matchup I could see doing it

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
You probably still wouldn't run counter magic in a temur BBE/visions deck though, would you? If they somehow hard counter it with a stubborn denial or negate, that's still ok. You've got a 3/2 and they're down a card. Not great, but fine and not worth playing remand, which is kinda bad these days.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

You don't have hard removal because you're in temur colors.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

no, see, you get to draw an extra card and try again next turn. It's probably a pretty bad line generally but if you're playing some really grindy matchup I could see doing it

No I get what it can do.............but Remand being a hit is suuuuuuuuuuuuper low impact for what you can be doing with bloodbraid.

In its modern heyday, what was the weakest card it could hit usually, Deathrite Shaman?

Bloodbraid is a dumb dumb unfair card that simultaneous grants card advantage and board position and can help race an opponent. It is super powerful. The only reason to unban would be if Wotc collectively got even higher off their own farts than previously and decided in their fart induced mania to unban JTMS. In that world Bloodbraid comes off to attack the fucker and keep him off the board.

Those 2 cards need to stay gone.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Some Numbers posted:

The best we've had in a while is "begrudgingly playable in a draft deck." We haven't even had *good* limited fodder equipment in a while.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pirate Cutlass is decent in XLN limited in general, and downright good in Pirates. But I am told this is an unusually low-power set.

Seems like in constructed equipment has the same problem Auras (we called them "enchant creature"s back in the day) had when I was playing:
(1) you're playing 2 cards for 1 to make a creature better, when you can just play 1 card and play the Best Creature making room for other crap
(2) investing 2 cards to make 1 really good creature makes it a prime target for removal, and removal should be expected, and you're giving your opponent a 2 for 1. Even though the equipment hangs around IME the re-attach feels like a real opportunity cost esp when you're trying to hit ramps so it kind of sits and is hopefully relevant when you can spare a couple manas.

My 7-year-old pronounces it "ma'am-ah." I find it endearing. Coming from Pokemon she dropped the habit of calling it "energy" at least, esp when her cat deck makes the distinction important by using that mechanic to make her cubbies bigger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think they could've been a bit more economical with their borders/camera feeds placement. Play area is too small.

I still don't like the angled tapping.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I think they could've been a bit more economical with their borders/camera feeds placement. Play area is too small.

I still don't like the angled tapping.

lol if ur not tapping at a nice jaunty 45 vs the full nerd 90.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Pirate Cutlass is decent in XLN limited in general, and downright good in Pirates. But I am told this is an unusually low-power set.

Seems like in constructed equipment has the same problem Auras (we called them "enchant creature"s back in the day) had when I was playing:
(1) you're playing 2 cards for 1 to make a creature better, when you can just play 1 card and play the Best Creature making room for other crap
(2) investing 2 cards to make 1 really good creature makes it a prime target for removal, and removal should be expected, and you're giving your opponent a 2 for 1. Even though the equipment hangs around IME the re-attach feels like a real opportunity cost esp when you're trying to hit ramps so it kind of sits and is hopefully relevant when you can spare a couple manas.

My 7-year-old pronounces it "ma'am-ah." I find it endearing. Coming from Pokemon she dropped the habit of calling it "energy" at least, esp when her cat deck makes the distinction important by using that mechanic to make her cubbies bigger.

Equipment is much, much better than auras. Like you said, it sticks around if the creature dies. It can turn your creatures that you were playing anyway and make them better with little downside if they die, since any creature you play after will get better too. The swords actually offer some degree of protection and card advantage, and batterskull is a grindy card that's hard to actually get rid of and doesn't even require another creature to be good since it makes a germ token.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unbanning GSZ and banning Dryad Arbor would do a lot to make Gx creature decks good again.

But lmao at all the people who think Jund DS with BBE would be fun or fair to have in the format, at all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They're continuing Black's flirtation with purple. When you pay mana with a land it emanates a color of light. For swamps this is purple-ish.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

lol if ur not tapping at a nice jaunty 45 vs the full nerd 90.

Full 90 is objectively the best.

But 45 is definitely better than marking tapped things with beads.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Whoah who does this? We may not agree on angles friend, but this invites terrible confusion when "counters" on cards is an evergreen mechanic. This is the game-state signifier of a madman.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

Full 90 is objectively the best.

A Tap slider preference which you can somehow manipulate into a reverse left-tap to really screw with your opponents.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I turn exhausted cards all the way upside down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hadn't thought about this earlier, but the tapping angle might also be related to their decision to make every game object into a square.

Hard to tell the orientation when your cards are no longer oblong!

(I think the lands in particular look like poo poo this way. I'd rather they just give everyone full art lands)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Whoah who does this? We may not agree on angles friend, but this invites terrible confusion when "counters" on cards is an evergreen mechanic. This is the game-state signifier of a madman.

It's been a couple of years since this happened, but at some casual (free) event I went to, I played against a guy who NOT ONLY marked his tapped cards with beads, he kept his lands in a single stack and used a SINGLE bead to mark which lands were tapped from the top of the stack down or something equally insane.

That was not a fun match.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You are a model of restraint for not silently reaching across the table, turning his lands sideways, removing the bead, and flicking it at his head.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You are a model of restraint for not silently reaching across the table, turning his lands sideways, removing the bead, and flicking it at his head.

Oh, I'm not completely innocent, I was rather passive aggressive and snarky with him and he got pretty irritated with me.

If it had been anything other than a casual, free event, with anything even resembling rules enforcement, there's no way I would have let that fly.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If I have tapped a permanent it's at 45 degrees. If an outside source has tapped a permanent it's at 90 degrees. All clockwise of course.

If something is tapped and doesn't untap it's at 90 degrees counter clockwise.

E: lands belong in descending stacks of 3, matching. All unmatched lands are separated individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

:colbert: